HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 1:11 AM

It sounds like he just wants a new bridge along with major highway expansion, same priorities they have had in the past.

Quote:
SkyTrain expansion underway on day one of the bridge opening
Yeah you can get your Skytrain, just keep us in power until we get to it.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 2:18 AM

That sounds like a win win scenario in my books.

And yes, phasing here would makes sense, seeing how even the extension to UBC is being phased.

A new highway bridge built in connection with a new skytrain that goes from Metrotown to Phibbs is a pretty massive project as is, going all the way to Park Royal feels like it could be biting off more than we can chew. Again, similar to stopping in Scott Road at first to Surrey, and that was done without a major combined road bridge replacement either (which it should have).

Either way this project will involve replacing the highway bridge, so I think your bias is coming out madog222.

Either way, this is a great start to creating a campaign promise race.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 2:18 AM

At last check, the plan was to build the transit bridge completely independent of the road bridge. The language sure sounds like code for just a new road bridge and transit maybe, which sure lines up with Falcon's record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
It sounds like he just wants a new bridge along with major highway expansion, same priorities they have had in the past.

Quote:
SkyTrain expansion underway on day one of the bridge opening
Yeah you can get your Skytrain, just keep us in power until we get to it.
Should've known there was a catch. Once a Clark minister, always a Clark minister.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
That sounds like a win win scenario in my books.

And yes, phasing here would makes sense, seeing how even the extension to UBC is being phased.

A new highway bridge built in connection with a new skytrain that goes from Metrotown to Phibbs is a pretty massive project as is, going all the way to Park Royal feels like it could be biting off more than we can chew. Again, similar to stopping in Scott Road at first to Surrey, and that was done without a major combined road bridge replacement either (which it should have).

Either way this project will involve replacing the highway bridge, so I think your bias is coming out madog222.

Either way, this is a great start to creating a campaign promise race.
Last poll I saw has BC United at 11%, behind the BC Greens at 15%. Right now he can promise anything he likes, but he's unlikely to be taken seriously.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
At last check, the plan was to build the transit bridge completely independent of the road bridge.
There is no plan but the one independent study which presented bridge designs had two designs for multiuse bridges which would replace the current IWM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Last poll I saw has BC United at 11%, behind the BC Greens at 15%. Right now he can promise anything he likes, but he's unlikely to be taken seriously.
Doesn't matter, hopefully it gets all parties running to enact similar promises and push the Purple Line ahead, and hopefully also puts on pressure to combine it with the Iron Workers' replacement which is now coming up more frequently as being beneficial to do as a combined project.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 3:02 AM

Side note but why did that original proposal use the colors Gold and Purple for the possible Skytrain alignments. Yellow and purple are already used in the Skytrain network lol

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
Side note but why did that original proposal use the colors Gold and Purple for the possible Skytrain alignments. Yellow and purple are already used in the Skytrain network lol
Color schemes for representing transit lines have never been Translink's strong point

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 3:25 AM

I guess those colours might have been more to do with the consultants than with Translink..

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 3:26 AM

Blue, green, and red were also used in that study, they're just colors.

Quote:
Color schemes for representing transit lines have never been Translink's strong point
Translink has had nothing to do with the gold and purple alignment names.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 3:57 AM

Quote:
... now coming up more frequently as being beneficial to do as a combined project.
It was brought up a few months ago that combined road/rail bridges are less and less common, likely due to contrasting requirements - grade, load, etc etc. If the cost savings (of one bridge) are worth it, by all means, but that may not be the case.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
It was brought up a few months ago that combined road/rail bridges are less and less common, likely due to contrasting requirements - grade, load, etc etc. If the cost savings (of one bridge) are worth it, by all means, but that may not be the case.
But the current road bridge will eventually have to be replaced so that's going to pose some issues on where you build a transit-only bridge option. The preferred new transit bridge option was on the west side but I wonder which side they would prefer to build a new road bridge.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
But the current road bridge will eventually have to be replaced so that's going to pose some issues on where you build a transit-only bridge option. The preferred new transit bridge option was on the west side but I wonder which side they would prefer to build a new road bridge.
Ignoring other factors such as existing buildings, having the new highway bridge to the west of the existing one would reduce the curves on both sides of the inlet.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 10:20 AM

Even if they don’t end up sharing the same super structure, it would be wise to at least plan the two projects together.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 4:57 PM

Let me put my vote in a for a private tunnel created by the Boring Company (Mr. Musk).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Let me put my vote in a for a private tunnel created by the Boring Company (Mr. Musk).
This isn't the fantasy thread.

Regarding Falcon's announcement, I wouldn't be surprised to see the BCNDP say "we'll fully commit to provincial funding of the Mayors Council's Access for Everyone 10 year plan" or something along those lines. Fully fund the plans that have already been established kind of thing.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
This isn't the fantasy thread.

Regarding Falcon's announcement, I wouldn't be surprised to see the BCNDP say "we'll fully commit to provincial funding of the Mayors Council's Access for Everyone 10 year plan" or something along those lines. Fully fund the plans that have already been established kind of thing.
For better or for worse, the North Shore should be a bit of a battleground between the BCNDP and the BCC; The residents of North Vancouver-Lonsdale and West Vancouver-Capilano are pretty set in their ways but North Vancouver-Seymour and West Vancouver-Sea to Sky are looking hotly contested. Hopefully that inspires some more infrastructure promises to sway the marginal voters.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
For better or for worse, the North Shore should be a bit of a battleground between the BCNDP and the BCC; The residents of North Vancouver-Lonsdale and West Vancouver-Capilano are pretty set in their ways but North Vancouver-Seymour and West Vancouver-Sea to Sky are looking hotly contested. Hopefully that inspires some more infrastructure promises to sway the marginal voters.
I think that West Van and NV-Seymour would vote for a candidate that didn't want Skytrain going through their ridings lol.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
I think that West Van and NV-Seymour would vote for a candidate that didn't want Skytrain going through their ridings lol.
As a former North Shore resident, I think the general population would be supportive of any infrastructure for bringing people across the inlet. (And if it stays close to the waterfront and doesn't venture up the hillside, all the better)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
As a former North Shore resident, I think the general population would be supportive of any infrastructure for bringing people across the inlet. (And if it stays close to the waterfront and doesn't venture up the hillside, all the better)
Out of curiosity, would Lynn Valley be considered "too far up"?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure