HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 7:04 PM

There will still be access from NB 37th to EB Glenmore, all they are doing according to the design CBC posted from the city is moving the EB->NB to loop around the traffic circle instead.

Source

This will drop a bit off the length of the lights cycle there, not much but it seems everyone agrees anything helps at this point.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That Traffic circle idea on 37th sounds like a terrible idea to me. No turn onto EB Glenmore from 37th going north, and no turn onto NB 37th from Glenmore going east, good thing I don't live in Lakeview.
Isn't the traffic circle there to facilitate those turns instead, which will make the actual intersection less congested?

Of course, this is all "in theory". I generally like traffic circles, but this is one of those "I'll have to see it in action" type of things. Interesting idea though.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
There will still be access from NB 37th to EB Glenmore, all they are doing according to the design CBC posted from the city is moving the EB->NB to loop around the traffic circle instead.

Source

This will drop a bit off the length of the lights cycle there, not much but it seems everyone agrees anything helps at this point.
I thought I read in the article that there would be no right turn off NB 37th onto Glenmore, weird. Either way, all this will do is clog up 37th more.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:45 PM

I don't think it will, from what I've seen NB 37th is the least used direction of flow at that intersection. But no matter what, at least the city is working on the plans for the interchange, from what they said on the radio this morning a report is supposed to go to council on Monday outlining what the plan is

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:11 AM

Well council approved a $41M plan for the Glenmore/37 interchange today. To be funded using surplus funds from past projects (which reportedly will cover over half the total alone), plus reallocating funds that had been set aside to build the connections to the now defunct Tsuu Tina ring road alignment. Final budget approval will be in November.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:01 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Well council approved a $41M plan for the Glenmore/37 interchange today. To be funded using surplus funds from past projects (which reportedly will cover over half the total alone), plus reallocating funds that had been set aside to build the connections to the now defunct Tsuu Tina ring road alignment. Final budget approval will be in November.
Will the province be kicking in any funding as part of the ring road ?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 2:49 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Will the province be kicking in any funding as part of the ring road ?
Not for the interchange, but will be kicking in to build whatever ring road plan B they come up with, which will involve other interchanges. (Glenmore/Sarcee, etc)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:28 AM

work on 16th at 68th to 52nd will take until fall of 2010 I found out today. The city is paying for some of it, and some sources say the intersection is part of stoney trail group's job but I highly doubt it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 4:49 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
work on 16th at 68th to 52nd will take until fall of 2010 I found out today. The city is paying for some of it, and some sources say the intersection is part of stoney trail group's job but I highly doubt it.
Yeah, there is 3-4 stages to the construction that they have to go through. And earthwork stuff is one thing that they can't really do in winter (you can't pack frozen earth properly).

I would think this project would be mostly (if not all) city funded.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:39 PM

It would be safe to assume that the East side of the 68th Street intersection would be STG's to do.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:57 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It would be safe to assume that the East side of the 68th Street intersection would be STG's to do.
It is. The TUC comes right up to the intersection, and everything in the TUC is part to STG's contract.

In other news, the city is moving to expropriate land required for the Airport Trail/96th Ave Connector, just west of Deerfoot Trail.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 7:18 AM
Realtor

I love the new street lights on Memorial Dr!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 7:59 AM

Yes, they are great aren't they. Someone (maybe me) needs to get down there and get some photos at night, they look awesome. I'm loving how that project is turning out.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 8:38 PM

Road Rant

About 3 weeks ago the city patched a bunch of potholes on Highfield Road north of 30th Ave.

Highfield Road north of 30th ave is now closed for construction of the additional rail line and construction of a roundabout on 25th ave. They've also dug up a good 80 feet of Highfield.

I know it's not a large amount of money wasted, but it's still money wasted. A little better planning with the Roads Dept could have prevented this.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 8:20 AM
someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
About 3 weeks ago the city patched a bunch of potholes on Highfield Road north of 30th Ave.

Highfield Road north of 30th ave is now closed for construction of the additional rail line and construction of a roundabout on 25th ave. They've also dug up a good 80 feet of Highfield.

I know it's not a large amount of money wasted, but it's still money wasted. A little better planning with the Roads Dept could have prevented this.
I think roads departments are the worst for wasting money.

Case and point... Every single spring, Okotoks repaints EVERY line, cross walk, school zone markings, you name it. I'd say 3/4 of those don't even need to be repainted but still, without fail, it's done every year.

Then at times during the summer, these same roads are torn up, repaved, whatever, and once again have to be repainted.

Now I know painting lines isn't the biggest cost when it comes to road maintenance, but from the town thats always bitching about not having enough money, they sure know how to blow what they do have.

/end rant

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:02 PM

^ It would likely cost more to coordinate line painting and develop proper policies on who does it when, that to do it basically all the time.

Plus, since it is probably city workers doing the initial painting, and contracted workers (operating under the construction contract) doing the fixes.

In addition, if you didn't do the initial paint, there may be a bit of an up swell of 'won't somebody think of the children' when a cross walk isn't as clearly marked.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 11:03 PM
Realtor

The Bow Trail Bridge is closed again because they need to correct the piss poor pave job that was done.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
The Bow Trail Bridge is closed again because they need to correct the piss poor pave job that was done.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome
I can't help myself, so I read the comments at the end of this article. The story clearly states that the bridge will be closed only until Sunday, and it is quite obvious a contractor did this work and will be paying for the redo. However, the commentors blame silly hall and the Calatrava bridge, and talk about it like it will be closed for several years. Why do I read the comments on these stories?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post

Is the roundabout going to be at the intersection of 25th and Dartmouth? Do you know what their plans are for the 26th, Dartmouth and Highfield intersection? In driving by today, it looked like they were changing the angle at which Highfield would intersect with 26th.

edit: just looking into this a bit more, it sounds (from the Ramsay Community Association minutes) like the roundabout is planned for 26th and Dartmouth, not 25th?

Last edited by octothorp; Sep 21, 2009 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 4:07 PM

what does this sign mean? Can I park there on saturday?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure