HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
We don't have data, but I think it's a fair assumption that building a house out of something that was made by sucking CO2 out of the atmosphere (yes plus some heating) vs something that requires melting down thousands of bottles, the former probably is the less carbon intensive. If the latter was energy efficient it would be cost effective to do so and businesses would be widely doing it. The fact they are not indicates it probably isn't worth doing.
My impression is that this is the first building project of this kind. You may see businesses using this method in the future, if it turns out to be a viable method.

One concern I did have when I read the article is how it would perform in a fire. I would not want to be in a burning building that was melting all around me. So, lots of unknowns (including CO2 data) with this one.

Quote:
OK, my statement might have been a little too strong, but while it seems counterintuitive, but there is plenty of research saying that banning disposable plastic bags will result in greater harm to the environment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47027792

Reusable plastic bags use a lot of plastic and need a lot of energy to make, they need to be used many times to be worth it. Cotton bags are far worse, needing much more energy and intensive farming to make. Paper bags too require much more energy.

Similarly, the efforts to ban straws may end up with Starbucks etc making plastic lids that use more plastic. How is that better?
You and I actually agree on this point. A few weeks ago I posted about the plastics ban topic with similar information that you have linked to above. Here is a link to the post: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=217

Read the Quebec study when you have a few minutes. It is quite interesting. It's obvious that the federal government did not read it.

Quote:
I agree, but specifically, what are the actual problems? People's obsession with reducing plastic has little basis in what the real issues are. The one large issue specific to plastic is plastic in the oceans, but the proposed solutions do almost nothing to combat that.
Agreed. Very little of Canada's single-use plastics end up in the oceans.

If you read my previous post I linked to above, you will note that Sobey's stores have actually switched to a bag that uses less plastic and is recycled in the maritimes.

Quote:
I know I am sounding like I love landfills, but that isn't the case. I dutifully clean and recycle what I can (even though it probably ends up in a trailer for years before being quietly landfilled). I'm a big fan of Calgary's composting program, which is an excellent way of reducing waste. If places are running out of landfill space, absolutely look at ways of minimising what goes into it. But that isn't really an environmental problem, more of an economic one (as all things are, actually).
Actually, Halifax has had a composting program for over 20 years, due to the issue of running out of landfill space. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ater-1.5195777

Quote:
Bio-based doesn't necessarily mean it is biodegradable. You could make plastics with similar durability to oil based ones, but then they won't be biodegradable. Or you could make biodegradable ones, but they won't be as strong. And there is no guarantee that a plant based plastic won't emit CO2 in its production.
The key point to me was that these bags don't use petroleum as their base. While that may cause dismay to our Albertan members, it could result in less C02 emissions. I say could because I don't have data on it - I only mentioned it as an example that there are other alternatives that should be examined instead of a simple ban, which will have other negative effects and possibly few positive effects.

Quote:
The problems with plastics are also their greatest strengths. Plastics are cheap, strong, lightweight and durable, which is why they are used so extensively. An alternative with the same strengths will likely have the same problems, or a tradeoff could be made if we choose to prioritise biodegradability over GHG emissions and other environmental impacts.
Which is why I believe that, rather than a simple ban, we need to understand how to use the product better. Reduce in cases where better alternatives are available, and continue to research for better methods of dealing with the problem.

Additionally, there should be a global effort to find methods of preventing plastics from entering the oceans. There are countries that are known to be extreme contributors to the problem - action needs to happen now to reduce and eventually eliminate that from happening. Canada is already known to be a very small contributor to this problem, but we could have knowledge that could help these other countries to do reduce theirs.

Quote:
I agree. Neither 'side' is doing a good job, though there shouldn't be sides.
I think the fact that there are 'sides' is the biggest problem. It switches the focus from finding the best solutions for the problems to one of partisanship.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:04 PM

Well then good, because I agree with most of what you have said. Especially on partisanship, which is causing huge issues, particularly on carbon pricing. Carbon pricing was actually a policy originally favoured by 'the right' as it is much less intrusive than regulation, and Scheer's new plan still even includes pricing, even though he refuses to admit it. But for some reason carbon pricing became a political bogeyman for that 'side', and now the side that is supposed to be business friendly, letting markets do what they do, is instead supporting big government subsidies and regulations. It proves to me that the majority of people don't actually understand or believe in the ideologies they claim to.

I will say though that the production of plastics is relatively unimportant to us tar loving Albertans. AFAIK, natural gas is the main feedstock and only a small % goes to making plastics. Though we do make some of the raw materials, it's not a huge industry for us.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
We are all hypocrites to a certain point, but can you really not see a connection here? Those who are actually profiting unethically and dishonestly are even more hypocritical than the rest of us.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2019/06/28/V...ition-Gouging/
So wait, is the producer of the oil, who is responsible for 10-20% of the emissions per barrel, more hypocritical than the end user who is responsible for 80-90% of emissions?

If you don't want oil being produced, don't use it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 8:59 PM

It amazes me that peopel can still deny climate change when we get stories and images like this:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/ameri...rnd/index.html

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It amazes me that peopel can still deny climate change when we get stories and images like this
Why do you think Mexico is immune to hail? It may be rare but the high elevation of many of its cities means it can happen.

http://en.people.cn/200608/25/eng20060825_296743.html
https://whereverlifetakesus.travellerspoint.com/111/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Why do you think Mexico is immune to hail? It may be rare but the high elevation of many of its cities means it can happen.

http://en.people.cn/200608/25/eng20060825_296743.html
https://whereverlifetakesus.travellerspoint.com/111/
LOL, did you even look at the depth of the hail?

Meanwhile...

June 2019 was the hottest ever recorded on Earth: European satellite agency

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 12:32 AM

Blaming singular unusual events on climate change is fucking retarded. There's enough evidence without having to sink to childish correlations.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
LOL, did you even look at the depth of the hail?
Actually, there's an old map of global hail frequency. Surprisingly to me, Guadalajara is actually near one of the worse areas in the world for hail.

Bigger map:

https://journals.ametsoc.org/na101/h...0130.1-f1.jpeg

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:52 AM

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Blaming singular unusual events on climate change is fucking retarded. There's enough evidence without having to sink to childish correlations.
Of course single events don't mean much, but when you get multiple "once in a 500 year floods" over the course of a few years, you have to admit that perhaps these extreme events are getting more common.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 2:39 PM

Yeah, that requires a large data set though, not just one wierd localised event. It's just as stupid as someone saying that global warming can't be happening because there's a blizzard outside.

If I found evidence of a similar 'omg look how much hail there is' event in the pre industrial era, would that invalidate climate change? As that was the hypothesis, that the hail event in Mexico could only have occurred due to climate change.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Of course single events don't mean much, but when you get multiple "once in a 500 year floods" over the course of a few years, you have to admit that perhaps these extreme events are getting more common.
Hard to determine the frequency as 1 in 500 with at best 125 years of reliable data

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that requires a large data set though, not just one wierd localised event. It's just as stupid as someone saying that global warming can't be happening because there's a blizzard outside.

If I found evidence of a similar 'omg look how much hail there is' event in the pre industrial era, would that invalidate climate change? As that was the hypothesis, that the hail event in Mexico could only have occurred due to climate change.

The event in Guad is not that unusual as high elevations at the foot of mountain chains are hail prone. The hail accumulated due to flash flooding, likely a result of urban development :

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...ogists-explain

I saw a hail storm in Sylvan Lake, AB in the early 90's that buried cars. I also saw one in Calgary in the mid 90's that broke plate glass windows on office buildings. Hail can be extremely intense in local areas. Didn't a storm in 2010 break windows at U of C and completely strip trees of leaves?

Last edited by Doug; Jul 3, 2019 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Thousands of reindeer?

Yamal Anthrax Outbreak:

Quote:
In July 2016, nearly 100 people have been hospitalized amid an anthrax outbreak from nomadic communities in northern Siberia, Russia and more than 2,300 reindeer died from anthrax infections in Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug. A 12 year-old child also died due to the outbreak.

Scientists believe the melting unearthed the frozen carcass of a reindeer that died in the previous anthrax outbreak in 1968.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Thousands of reindeer?

Yamal Anthrax Outbreak:
Another typically clueless social media post. How does a carcass that froze 50 years ago and remained frozen prove climate change? If anything, it suggests a cool climate change mate.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:38 PM

Shipping by sea is a notoriously dirty industry, accounting for nearly three percent of global CO2 emissions, and Seaspan Marine in BC is switching from diesel to LNG hybrid ships. Smaller ships to start out with, with the aim of getting larger ships converted to hybrid or, in the longer term, full electric. The story mentions Scandinavia, where they say several car and passenger ferries are completely battery powered and are recharged at the dock between trips.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:58 PM

I can't imagine battery electric container ships crossing the ocean, but LNG is a great start, with a conversion to renewable LNG a possibility in the future, if we can harness the kind of supply required.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:38 PM

New Beijing airport constructed to handle 70 million passengers by 2025, and 100 million passengers by 2040. Can’t be good for the climate. Will planes still require jet fuel by those times. I’d hate for Canada to miss out on the opportunity to supply Asia’s demand for this energy, if fossil fuels have not been obsoleted by that time.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I can't imagine battery electric container ships crossing the ocean, but LNG is a great start, with a conversion to renewable LNG a possibility in the future, if we can harness the kind of supply required.
LNG is bad according to your enviro buddies that you've religiously believed in the past.

I can't help but notice that you guys have yet to respond to my post in the Provincial Economies thread. Is this proof that I've been right all along about you're collective hypocrisy?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14607

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
LNG is bad according to your enviro buddies that you've religiously believed in the past.

I can't help but notice that you guys have yet to respond to my post in the Provincial Economies thread. Is this proof that I've been right all along about you're collective hypocrisy?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14607
Lots of ifs and maybes in that article, that's why I didn't bother responding. LNG is very clean burning, and should be the last fossil fuel used, if we have to use anything.

You can stop with the over the top hyperbole insults any time if you want to be taken more seriously.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada