HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 10:22 PM
Heart of the Continent

There are a multitude of programs on reserve to teach them how to manage money. People really do have to decide to help themselves in order for them to work.

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 11:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
People from Fort William and I shared the same high school just a few years ago.

Reserves can be prosperous (some are), but the system is designed to prevent them from being prosperous. The Indian Act was originally designed to oppress aboriginals and it hasn't changed much from that original purpose. The Indian Act is what controls how reserves function.

If they can't manage money properly, teach them how.
if i remember corectly there was talk a few yrs back from the feds to re open the indian act to fix some of the issues it has and it created a riot from native leaders who rallied the people against it so really theres not much we can do untill they want to change it

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 8:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

A helping hand for First Nations

By: Staff Writer
2/05/2010 3:00 PM

WINNIPEG — First Nations residents hoping to keep an eye on their band budgets are about to get a helping hand.
At a press conference on Monday morning, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, an advocacy group dedicated to "lower taxes, less waste, and accountable government," will formally launch a new website designed to help people access information about First Nation finances.
The website aims to educate band members about their rights when it comes to obtaining band financial information, and will show them how to access it.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 6:00 PM
Armchair urbanist

Here's the page: ReserveTransparency.ca

Currently it redirects to the taxpayer.com site. Great idea, I'll be checking periodically.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 6:20 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hopefully it helps

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
First Nation sues tribal council

Misappropriated revenue, suit claims

By: Mary Agnes Welch
7/05/2010 1:00 AM

BUFFALO Point First Nation is suing its tribal council for millions of dollars, alleging the Southeast Resource Development Council has been secretive and financially mismanaged.
Buffalo Point Chief John Thunder resigned from the tribal council two years ago and is suing to recoup his band's share of the value of businesses and buildings the tribal council has invested in. That includes the Shawano-Wapunong building on Broadway and the Players golf course, which are both in Winnipeg. Thunder said the value of the claim is likely around $3 million, though he initially asked for a

"For two years we listened to their promises and nothing coming from our meetings," said Thunder, who's also concerned over how senior staff managed the tribal council's finances. "It's a maze what they've created there. It's an unbelievable paper shuffle."
In a statement of claim, Thunder alleges Southeast misappropriated and diverted revenue from the tribal council's business ventures, improperly intermingled money between various ventures, charged excessive management fees, loaned or advanced money improperly to the bands and made inappropriate payments to senior staff.
The suit also alleges Southeast failed to maintain proper financial records or share those with Buffalo Point, even when asked to provide them.
Lawyers for Buffalo Point expect to file evidence supporting their case before the end of the month. The statement of claim was filed last fall. The tribal council has yet to file a statement of defence. The allegations have not been proven in court. Senior staff at Southeast said their lawyers are looking at the issue but had no further comment.
The case, if it goes to trial, could shed more light on Southeast's financial dealings, which came under scrutiny earlier this year following a review of the child welfare agency Southeast oversees. The aboriginal-run Southern child welfare authority issued a 220-page review that outlined a confusing and suspicious financial relationship between Southeast tribal council and the child welfare agency it oversees.
At least $1 million was transferred out of the child welfare agency to the tribal council for questionable administrative fees, loans and other transfers that didn't appear to benefit kids in care. Aboriginal child welfare officials are doing a full-scale audit of Southeast Child and Family Services and provincial and federal auditors may do the same.
maryagnes.welch@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 7, 2010 A6

The players

Buffalo Point First Nation: Located in the province's southeast corner on Lake of the Woods, it's one of the smallest and richest bands in the province.
Southeast Resource Development Council: The tribal council and economic development arm of eight bands in the province's east side, including Bloodvein, Brokenhead, Hollow Water and Berens River.
The issue

Buffalo Point quit the tribal council in disgust and is going to court to extricate the band's share of the business ventures the tribal council has invested in.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 5:13 PM
BANNED

This is first nations leadership at it's finest:

Don't try to kill someone in my yard
By: Terrance Nelson

At 5 a.m. on Saturday, May 15, I was awoken by nine youth fighting in my yard. Six youth chased three others half a mile and the fight ended up in my yard. I went out and broke them up. I was armed with a shotgun.
Three parents came to my house and threatened me, asking "How dare you take the law into your own hands." Luckily for me, my actions are all caught on video security surveillance.
Colleen Simard asks in the Free Press May 22, "Why the need for a shotgun?"
In 1997, I wrote a book called Genocide in Canada. It documented more than 100 violent and preventable deaths in Roseau River Anishinabe First Nation from 1967 to 1993. A friend and a cousin were two of those "statistics." In August 1973, my friend and neighbour Lloyd Hayden, 20, was stabbed to death. The teenagers who killed him also killed Garry Nelson, 19, who was like my younger brother. Stabbed in that same fight, Garry tried to get away. He ran for a mile until they caught up. Standing in the river, he begged for his life, offered his ring but they jumped in and drowned him. Three days later, his body was found floating in the Red River.
Year after year, at every funeral, I ask myself the same question: "Why doesn't someone do something?"
Sheldon Atkinson died last year. Stabbed, beaten and on the floor, they cut his throat. No one intervened, everyone was too scared.
One of the 16-year-olds fighting in my yard that Saturday morning is a brother of the young woman now in jail for Sheldon's murder. That morning, their mother confronted me and told me: "You are no leader. I am going to call the media."
Twenty-six years ago, we didn't deal with John James Jr., who at the time was alleged to have raped a young child that he was babysitting. We were intimidated. It was easier to let the police and courts deal with the problem.
On Sept. 13, 1985, three-year-old Ruby Adriaenssen was abducted, sexually assaulted and brutally killed, her semi-nude body left in a Winnipeg garage. John James Jr. had three trials and five years later was convicted of manslaughter, not first-degree murder, because he was a youth.
Our system failed not only Ruby Adriaenssen, it also failed John James Jr.
I am 56 years old and no longer idealistic.
One of my daughters now lives in my home. When she had her own home, she was attacked by two women as she was walking on the road. Fighting for 15 minutes, they finally got her down. She was being choked to death when a man intervened and pulled them off. The young woman who was choking my daughter is the same one in jail awaiting trial for the killing of Atkinson. She pled guilty to simple assault on my daughter and received a 30-day jail sentence. The other one involved is still in Roseau River awaiting trial on a long list of violent crimes.
Prior to 1945, we never had a murder in our community. We policed ourselves. The only real solution to the violence in our communities that I see is for First Nations to push the white man out. Get rid of "white" jurisdiction in our communities, licence and arm our own patrols. Sadly, we are not yet ready for that, we have to attend more funerals before we push the white man out.
None of those youth fighting in my yard is going to thank me for stopping them. They had golf clubs and other weapons. My son was not involved in that fight, he was attacked later by two of the ones I had chased off. The police that everyone says I should have called were busy being assaulted themselves in another violent party on the rez.
Given the current level of violence, it is predictable that there will be at least one violent death in Roseau River this summer, maybe more.
As chief, I can't save everyone, but as a parent I can assure my home is safe. Alcohol is not allowed. Simple solution: If you don't want to see the chief with a shotgun, don't be drunk and trying to kill someone in my yard at 5 a.m.

Terrance Nelson is chief of the Roseau River Anishinabe First Nation.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 26, 2010 A12

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 5:22 PM
I am a typical

And what have I been saying all this time about establishing a legal system by and for First Nations? I don't know about Manitoba, but Ontario already has aboriginal police. Treaty Three Police in the borderland and Nishnawbe-aski Police in the far north. A branch of the Guardian Angels organization was recently established in Gull Bay as well.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 11:17 PM
Heart of the Continent

Manitoba has Dakota Ojibeway police. That said, Aboriginals are people, and must be, ultimately, subject to the same laws.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
And what have I been saying all this time about establishing a legal system by and for First Nations?
You believe Canada should have a separate justice system for natives? Why in the world would Canada want that?

After we establish a a legal system by and for First Nations let's set up one for women. And one for obese people. Irish-Canadians. Asians. Muslims.

Let's be certain to craft laws and punishments specific to each special interest group. Oh, and special prisons too.

Forgive the sarcasm, but the notion of a legal system by and for First Nations just blows me away.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 12:39 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Terry Nelson remains one of the most vile, despicable racists in all of Canada. He is the same guy who advocated for insurrection and economic terrorism against Canada, with nonsense reasoning that "there are only two ways of dealing with the white man. One, either you pick up a gun, or you stand between the white man and his money."

His quote in the Free Press today:

"The only real solution to the violence in our communities that I see is for First Nations to push the white man out."

Lets imagine that "First Nations" was replaced with "the authorities," and "white man" was replaced with "Aboriginals." If that was said, someone would be charged with a hate crime. Terry Nelson is well aware of the double-standard, which is why he continues to freely profess racial hatred against people based on their ethnicity.

IMO, we need to collectively work at bridging the gaps between people, which is best done by true equality. Special ethnic-based privileges/policing/laws/social policy/etc unique to some, but not others, flies in the face of true equality. Somewhere, Martin Luther King Jr. is rolling in his grave. It is racists like Terry Nelson and the double-standard with how Canada's human rights commissions and tribunals operate which continue to institutionalize our differences and perpetuate an 'us versus them' mentality. It gets us nowhere and is all so counter-productive.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; May 27, 2010 at 1:11 AM. Reason: formatting (italics)

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:03 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I agree, DowntownWpg..

I have a more trivial example, in that I think it's funny when I see guys wearing the "native pride" hat. What if I wore a "white pride" hat on the bus? Talk about a double standard!!

Personally, I tire of the constant criticism and excuses made by the aboriginal leadership about how the white community has done them wrong. My grandparents were shot at and watched people get baked in ovens back in Europe, and somehow they still found a way to get a job, be good to their kids, each other, and their neighbours.

Grow up already.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; May 27, 2010 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

I agree, DowntownWpg..

I have a more trivial example, in that I think it's funny when I see guys wearing the "native pride" hat. What if I wore a "white pride" hat on the bus? Talk about a double standard!!

Personally, I tire of the constant criticism and excuses made by the aboriginal leadership about how the white community has done them wrong. My grandparents were shot at and watched people get baked in ovens back in Europe, and somehow they still found a way to get a job, be good to their kids, each other, and their neighbours.

Grow up already.
Someone’s work’in their jewish Chutzpah.

I get what your saying, but comparing white pride with a minority isnt fair. I don’t think it’s right to crictique a minority for being prideful whether it’s race, sexuality or a gender related cause.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:32 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Someone’s work’in their jewish Chutzpah.
That isn't chutzpah.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:40 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
You believe Canada should have a separate justice system for natives?
No, for reserves. If a white person commits a crime on a reserve they would be subject to that legal system, just like if an Albertan commits a crime in Ontario they're subject to the Ontario legal system. It would be part of greater self government and improved democracy for first nations that would come with increased autonomy. Groups of first nations like the Nishnawbe Aski Nation in far north Ontario would be like provinces or territories that overlap the existing provinces, with the reserves acting like exclusive economic zones. It would be complicated but the more economic rights they have, the better able they will be to prosper without government support. I've explained this before but no one seems to read it or it doesn't stick.

Quote:
Why in the world would Canada want that?
Greater economic and legal autonomy for minority groups in countries where they were historically persecuted has shown to make them more independent and prosperous.

Quote:
Forgive the sarcasm, but the notion of a legal system by and for First Nations just blows me away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That said, Aboriginals are people, and must be, ultimately, subject to the same laws.
I guess provinces and territories shouldn't have them either. Why should Ontarians be subject to different laws than Albertans just for being Ontarian? Hell why have independent nations at all? Let's have just one world-wide legal system so that everyone is equal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Special ethnic-based privileges/policing/laws/social policy/etc unique to some, but not others, flies in the face of true equality.
It would also be nice is communism worked. Unfortunately, the situation we're in makes it very difficult for either at this point. Perhaps once aboriginals have gotten on their own two feet we can fold their government into Earth's government. Of course I am sure by then we will be fighting for more autonomy from Omicron Persei 8. But all galactic beings should be equal in the eyes of the law!

Lastly, I don't understand how anyone can be proud of an inherent attribute like ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation. You can be proud of overcoming the adversity you face for being native, female or gay but you can't really be proud of simply being that. White people don't really have anything to be proud of in that respect as they face little adversity to overcome in the first place. We have more to be proud of in our other accomplishments. (The ones that don't involve the annihilation of people who aren't like us, that is.)

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 4:02 AM

@ vid

I've not participated in a debate with you on this topic. If you want to debate your perspective try losing the attitude. It would serve you better...

Your first point that I challenged was about "establishing a legal system by and for First Nations". Your leap from that to "Greater economic and legal autonomy for minority groups in countries where they were historically persecuted has shown to make them more independent and prosperous." came completely out of left field. As did the snarky comments about provincial autonomy and communism and Omicron Persei 8.

You want to take another shot at this discussion sans snark? Then let's have at 'er. Else debate this yourself.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 5:00 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
I guess provinces and territories shouldn't have them either. Why should Ontarians be subject to different laws than Albertans just for being Ontarian? Hell why have independent nations at all? Let's have just one world-wide legal system so that everyone is equal!
I guess they shouldn't...since they don't. Provinces operate court and policing systems. The rules and regulations for criminal proceedings in those systems - i.e. the Criminal Code of Canada, is constructed through acts of the Parliament of Canada. The provinces are only administering a system of justice that exists Canada wide. The only laws that provinces can pass are non criminal laws, and as sovereign territories under the Crown of Canada, as far as I understand, reserves can do things that are very similar.

Criminal law in Canada is under the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal government. Provinces can only pursue legislation relating to civil and non criminal matters, such as The Workplace Safety and Health Act in Manitoba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimina...tion_Act,_1867

The line can get fuzzy, but the intent and the language are quite clear.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Terry Nelson remains one of the most vile, despicable racists in all of Canada. He is the same guy who advocated for insurrection and economic terrorism against Canada, with nonsense reasoning that "there are only two ways of dealing with the white man. One, either you pick up a gun, or you stand between the white man and his money."

His quote in the Free Press today:

"The only real solution to the violence in our communities that I see is for First Nations to push the white man out."

Lets imagine that "First Nations" was replaced with "the authorities," and "white man" was replaced with "Aboriginals." If that was said, someone would be charged with a hate crime. Terry Nelson is well aware of the double-standard, which is why he continues to freely profess racial hatred against people based on their ethnicity.

IMO, we need to collectively work at bridging the gaps between people, which is best done by true equality. Special ethnic-based privileges/policing/laws/social policy/etc unique to some, but not others, flies in the face of true equality. Somewhere, Martin Luther King Jr. is rolling in his grave. It is racists like Terry Nelson and the double-standard with how Canada's human rights commissions and tribunals operate which continue to institutionalize our differences and perpetuate an 'us versus them' mentality. It gets us nowhere and is all so counter-productive.
I completely agree with you, sir. On every account. Regarding the last paragraph though, the trouble is that it is clear that the aboriginal leadership wants its people to not be considered people. They want aboriginals and "everyone else" as two notably distinct groups. From an academic angle, the leadership takes great pride in having aboriginal access. Aboriginal access unfortunately means that aboriginal students need not perform to the same standards "everyone else" need to, in order to gain access to programs, and ultimately graduate from programs. Veil terms removed, aboriginal leadership is happy having its people openly defined as second class citizens. I'm sure it makes maintaining power much easier (and for the most part massive amounts of financial waste while the everyday aboriginal continues to be at or near rock bottom). I believe that legally the crown resists bodies of evidence to prosecute aboriginal leadership, on account that it would look hateful if "everyone else's" legal experts went after aboriginal leadership and thus the potential for aboriginal unrest in the streets. Winnipeg certainly has a large aboriginal population and civil unrest would not be good. I might be wrong on this account, but how else can swarms of leaders who launder money, insinuate hateful speech, etc., etc. rarely if ever face the long arm of the law in any punitive way.

It's very sad, but aboriginals with their many special distinctions have defined themselves, or perhaps more appropriately, their leadership has defined their people as second class. Second class academics, second class citizens.

As far as the Human Rights Commission is considered, it is and always has been the Anti-Western Commission... and if the shoe fits, the Anti-Western-White-Male Commission. But the west is absurdly apologist, and softer then the Pillsbury dough boy, so perhaps it is an appropriate target for an organization that should be deep-sixed.

I also agree with Only The Lonely. It is completely unsubstantiated for anyone to say that you have to be a minority to have pride. We all know that anyone who wears a White Pride t-shirt would be looked at as a leper. It's not that I disregard "white crimes" throughout world history. Of course they took place, and certainly on the scale that history textbooks and countless stocks of literature surely attest to. However, I personally haven't committed any ill will towards any ethnic group and therefore refuse to apologize for any historical wrong doing. That refers to any apology of either verbal or of monetary terms.

There was and certainly continues to be pain in some, many and perhaps even all aboriginal communities in this province as a result of historical wrong doings, but no amount of money or "white apologies" is going to fix that. At what point do you just do everything possible to move on, and cut the bullshit about the "healing process" that obviously never ends. If you're deeply hurt, you never heal, you just move forward.

I'd be happy to cut a deal, if there was a deal to be cut. However, using Terry Nelson's comments as a microcosm, it is clear there is no deal to be cut. Aboriginal leadership doesn't have defined goals. That is to say, that there is no end-game. Their is no solution. They don't want a solution. Aboriginal leadership needs their people to be in a constant state of flux - this "state of healing" in order to make their role even remotely relevant.

I feel bad for successful aboriginal people, because whether overtly or subtly I really and truly believe there is a level of public scrutiny. It might be veiled very well, but its there. I don't make a habit of making social claims, but if people were polled, in their heart of hearts I believe a massive chunk of the population has a negative opinion of the aboriginal community at large. I don't mean negative to be interpreted as hateful, not in the least. What I do mean however is that I believe "aboriginal issues" has become the "aboriginal issue" and is likely deeply ingrained in the public psyche of "everyone else".

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:58 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
White people don't really have anything to be proud of in that respect as they face little adversity to overcome in the first place. We have more to be proud of in our other accomplishments. (The ones that don't involve the annihilation of people who aren't like us, that is.)
That's racist Vid! I'm going to report you to a human rights tribunal if you don't stop.

When its built, the CMHR is going to be all over your ass on this one.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 3:03 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
@ vid

I've not participated in a debate with you on this topic.
I know. You've posted after I have but you've never addressed anything I had to say until now. Most often when I do make a post in this thread explaining what I have to say (civilly until now) it kills the thread until someone posts a news article about corrupt aboriginal leadership.

Quote:
If you want to debate your perspective try losing the attitude. It would serve you better...
I didn't have an attitude and people for the most part ignored everything I had to say about this. Now that I have the attitude you're telling me to lose it? I was civil in this post but no one responded. Same with this post. And I have made others in other threads. And on other websites. My points are always ignored. Why? Are they too complex for you to discuss them? Are they too simple for you to waste your time to discuss them? Am I perhaps speaking a different language without realizing it? Maybe I am retarded or maybe you have had me on ignore the whole time? You have to realize it can be frustrating talking to walls. They don't talk back! I am building my opinions on these issues by writing these posts and I can't form my opinions if I get no constructive feedback.

Quote:
You want to take another shot at this discussion sans snark? Then let's have at 'er. Else debate this yourself.
I've tried this discussion without snark before. It doesn't seem to work. So I added snark. It worked! Will it continue?

Quote:
Provinces operate court and policing systems.
Reserves have policing systems but lack courts. They have to use provincial courts.

Quote:
The rules and regulations for criminal proceedings in those systems - i.e. the Criminal Code of Canada, is constructed through acts of the Parliament of Canada. The provinces are only administering a system of justice that exists Canada wide. The only laws that provinces can pass are non criminal laws
I wasn't referring to criminal law, I was referring to laws regarding democracy, health care and education, and standards of living. Obviously, the criminal code would remain the same for First Nations. They're still going to be part of Canada. The Supreme Court of Canada would be their final court of arbitration, like it is for the provinces.

Quote:
as sovereign territories under the Crown of Canada, as far as I understand, reserves can do things that are very similar.
At a reserve level, sure. But after the local government of a reserve, the next level of government is the Indian Act. There is no real law to prevent and punish corrupt leadership on reserves. There isn't even a law laying out the basic guidelines for water treatment and access. They're just introduced a bill to do that. Shouldn't there have been a level of government for aboriginals to do this themselves years ago? Or at the very least, find away to have provincial standards for living and democracy apply to reserves. The lack of these standards is sustaining the deplorable conditions of their communities and leadership. They are virtually unable to hold their leaders accountable until its too late.

Quote:
Criminal law in Canada is under the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal government. Provinces can only pursue legislation relating to civil and non criminal matters, such as The Workplace Safety and Health Act in Manitoba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimina...tion_Act,_1867
And is there a workplace safety act specific to the needs of aboriginal communities, like there is for Manitoban or Ontarian communities? Is there a health act specific to the needs of aboriginal communities, like there is for British Columbian or Québec communities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
it is clear that the aboriginal leadership wants its people to not be considered people.
That is why we need a legal system for reserve governments to hold their corrupt leadership accountable for its actions! Or at the very least apply some sort of federal law to the situation. If they won't accept that have the Queen use her reserve powers to do something. They mostly accept her, at least.

Quote:
Aboriginal access unfortunately means that aboriginal students need not perform to the same standards "everyone else" need to, in order to gain access to programs, and ultimately graduate from programs.
If they had their own education system, they wouldn't need aboriginal access. Because they would have their own education system! They would have their own standards! They would have something to work for and they would perform to the same standards! Perhaps exceed them. Perhaps non-aboriginals would move to reserves to attend their schools, just as they move to other provinces to attend other province's schools today?

Quote:
Veil terms removed, aboriginal leadership is happy having its people openly defined as second class citizens.
And unfortunately, there is either nothing to prevent this, or there is but we lack the will to enforce it.

Quote:
I'm sure it makes maintaining power much easier (and for the most part massive amounts of financial waste while the everyday aboriginal continues to be at or near rock bottom).
If there was a First Nations Governance Act or something similar, those actions could be made illegal. We could enforce that law to prevent corrupt leadership like we do in provincial and territorial municipalities! The legal proceedings could be tried in aboriginal courts. They would have responsibility. Isn't that what you want them to have? More responsibility for themselves?

Quote:
I believe that legally the crown resists bodies of evidence to prosecute aboriginal leadership, on account that it would look hateful if "everyone else's" legal experts went after aboriginal leadership and thus the potential for aboriginal unrest in the streets.
Do you believe they would do that in an aboriginal court? A situation where an aboriginal judge is presiding the trial of an aboriginal leadership to bring accountability to aboriginal people in an aboriginal community?

Quote:
Winnipeg
Would not be subject to an aboriginal court system. It would only apply communities under whatever level of government is created between the reserve and the federal government.

Quote:
It's very sad, but aboriginals with their many special distinctions have defined themselves, or perhaps more appropriately, their leadership has defined their people as second class. Second class academics, second class citizens.
Give them the ability to redefine themselves.

Quote:
There was and certainly continues to be pain in some, many and perhaps even all aboriginal communities in this province as a result of historical wrong doings, but no amount of money or "white apologies" is going to fix that.
Is creating a level of government with a court system over larger territories encompassing many reserves and traditional lands an example of "giving them an amount of money" or "giving them a white apology"?

Quote:
At what point do you just do everything possible to move on
It certainly wouldn't be before you give them the opportunity to truly govern themselves as a jurisdiction within Canada. Or is that impossible?

Quote:
However, using Terry Nelson's comments as a microcosm, it is clear there is no deal to be cut.
Using Clarence Louie's comments as a microcosm, it is clear there is a deal to be cut. It is clear that giving aboriginals more opportunities at economic prosperity will produce very good results. Unfortunately, not all reserves are located as fortunately as Osoyoos. Economic development (the single more important key to First Nation self reliance, he says!) is part of the government created for aboriginals and their traditional land. (Agreements would have to be worked out with the provinces regarding revenue sharing--we're starting this, in Ontario with the revamped mining act, but it could be broader and more beneficial to both parties.) Having a justice system is part of holding that aboriginal government accountable.

Quote:
I really and truly believe there is a level of public scrutiny.
I really and truly believe the level of public scrutiny needs teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
That's racist Vid! I'm going to report you to a human rights tribunal if you don't stop.
I am going to be honest here. I think that if the idea of human rights tribunals was brought up at a human rights tribunal, that human rights tribunal would find itself in violation of human rights. They don't have any real power anyway. They can't charge you or imprison you. They just make suggestions. And if this one paragraph is the only part of my post to which you're going to respond, please don't hit the submit button.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan