HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteking View Post
Philly/Boston/DC seem like northerner cities I always associate Baltimore with the south. I think Baltimore is a big city comparable to Charlotte, Jacksonville, ATL, New Orleans, Charleston, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Little Rock, Memphis and Jackson. It has that southern charm that I would get anywhere in the South. But wait Baltimore is losing population? Sad that’s really sad. I think I know why but what do you think is the reason why?
DC/Baltimore/Philly/NYC are all technically Mid-Atlantic. Does Baltimore have southern aspects? Kinda. Would I consider it a "southern" city in colliqual convo? Never in a million years and I say this as someone who's lived in Meridian, Mississippi.

I don't think you realize how large Baltimore actually is. The city proper has more people than Charleston, Baton Rouge & Jackson combined and theres something like 930k people inside the 695 Beltway (an area of 152 sq/mi) or roughly a 7 mile radius from downtown. For context... DC has 1.4 million, New Orleans and Atlanta both have 591k, Charlotte has 475k, Memphis has 456k, while Birmingham has a partly 298k inside that same 7 mile radius.

It's a massive city (by American standards) anyway you slice it. It's mainly loosing population because the median household size is decreasing or in laymens terms. Families are moving out and singles/couples are moving in but not fast enough to offset the out migration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteking View Post
Yeah I was like duck when I went to a fine restaurant in DC. Some of the dishes I tried I’ll never forget. They were good but I’m more into soul food, Mexican, BBQ, carnival food, desserts and Italian (mainly pizza). I’ve never tried seafood so I’m excited to try Baltimores seafood I hear yall have the world’s best seafood.

Thank you for posting that site I will check it out and hopefully I don’t have to make an account.
Baltimore has decent soul food, meh Mexican (San Diego spoiled me), ok barbecue and carnival food, amazing deserts and Italian. Yes, the city is renowned for its seafood (crab cakes in particular) so you'll never go wrong there.

Nope. No need to make an account on reddit to view things (you do need to make an account to comment)

Last edited by Notonfoodstamps; Jun 6, 2024 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Definitely more laid back, blue-collar, homey. Less transient. Totally worth seeing as a different place from DC.

I don't think many would say Baltimore is more "big city" though. DC is bigger, more cosmopolitan, more dynamic, higher density, etc. It wasn't always, but today it's not really debatable unless you have a pretty exclusive and unusual definition of "big city." That's not always apparent to tourists who only see the monumental core.
I think this description is spot-on. It has been a while since I've been there but Baltimore reminds me of Long Beach and the South Bay in Southern California.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The162urbandude View Post
Baltimore has the history and urban bones to be a great city and equal to the other 4 BosWash ones. Imagine a revived Baltimore with more transit and an active downtown, could it be on par with Philly and DC? I'm from Philly and I see Baltimore more or less as a little brother or even an alter ego, so if Philly can recover and be vibrant again so can Baltimore. Anyone agree?
Greater Greater Washington had a good post the other day advocating for express MARC service to DC. The post noted that Baltimore has a surplus of moderately-priced housing (especially for the mid-Atlantic) and DC has plentiful good jobs but lacks housing that many people can afford.

Express MARC service can help Maryland grow more equitably
https://ggwash.org/view/93724/expres...more-equitably

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I think this description is spot-on. It has been a while since I've been there but Baltimore reminds me of Long Beach and the South Bay in Southern California.
Really? How so? I don't imagine Baltimore to be anything like Long Beach or SoCal's South Bay. I've never been *to* Baltimore, only *through* it, on the freeway. I did a road trip of the Northeast back in the late 1990s, and though I wanted to explore Baltimore, my travelmates didn't want to stop there.

IGAZ great pictures of Baltimore! Thanks for sharing.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Really? How so? I don't imagine Baltimore to be anything like Long Beach or SoCal's South Bay. I've never been *to* Baltimore, only *through* it, on the freeway. I did a road trip of the Northeast back in the late 1990s, and though I wanted to explore Baltimore, my travelmates didn't want to stop there.

IGAZ great pictures of Baltimore! Thanks for sharing.
I think the informality and lack of pretentiousness compared with surrounding cities and, as Cirrus noted, a blue-collar feel to the city. As I said, it has been a while (15 years or more) since I've been to Long Beach, so I am sure it has changed since then.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I think the informality and lack of pretentiousness compared with surrounding cities and, as Cirrus noted, a blue-collar feel to the city. As I said, it has been a while (15 years or more) since I've been to Long Beach, so I am sure it has changed since then.
This. People in Baltimore ask you how’s your day at the bar. People in DC ask you what do you do for work.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:20 PM
Community Guy

When I was there in 2018, this strip of tackiness and half empty crappy restaurants was a blight on what was otherwise a neat little harbour.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
When I was there in 2018, this strip of tackiness and half empty crappy restaurants was a blight on what was otherwise a neat little harbour.
This is what’s replacing them, so long as the zoning amendments get approved come this November.

Last edited by Notonfoodstamps; Jun 6, 2024 at 5:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:26 PM
Community Guy

Oh wow... that's quite the change. Nice.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Oh wow... that's quite the change. Nice.
Yeah, the city is definitely getting a sense of direction now and investment is starting to snowball.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:19 AM

The 100 Light Building (formerly Transamerica Tower) looks like the tallest building around the harbor. Here are more photos for the building.

144 by Isam Ghandour, on Flickr

262 by Isam Ghandour, on Flickr

036 by Isam Ghandour, on Flickr

255 by Isam Ghandour, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:38 AM

[QUOTE=Notonfoodstamps;10220345]This is what’s replacing them, so long as the zoning amendments get approved come this November.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 6:40 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

This thread is great!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 9:27 PM

[QUOTE=IGAZ;10220741]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notonfoodstamps View Post
This is what’s replacing them, so long as the zoning amendments get approved come this November.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
No worries. The entire CBD has a loft stuff in the pipeline that's been in holding pattern until construction financing inflation cooled off

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
This thread is great!
Thank you

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 5:05 PM

phenomenal photos!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 9:53 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Thanks for sharing these, great set of photos! I've visited Baltimore a few times for business and leisure, and have always had a great time. Hopefully that redevelopment of the Inner Harbor happens soon, I'm sure that will be a game changer.

I'm not a huge sportzball person so I don't have the legacy resentment of the Browns/Ravens football fiasco. Still, being from Cleveland, I definitely prefer Baltimore's informal/approachable vibe to D.C. where the pretentiousness of the people I encountered was truly insufferable.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Thanks for sharing these, great set of photos! I've visited Baltimore a few times for business and leisure, and have always had a great time. Hopefully that redevelopment of the Inner Harbor happens soon, I'm sure that will be a game changer.

I'm not a huge sportzball person so I don't have the legacy resentment of the Browns/Ravens football fiasco. Still, being from Cleveland, I definitely prefer Baltimore's informal/approachable vibe to D.C. where the pretentiousness of the people I encountered was truly insufferable.
Baltimore vs. DC is not really a thing especially for those who live there.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstem58 View Post
phenomenal photos!
Thank you

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

Thank you.
Many people visiting DC utilize the BWI airport, especially those working in DC and residing in the Maryland area. Baltimore and DC appear highly interconnected and complementary to each other.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos