HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 4:13 PM

Boston isn't horribly expensive, like Bay Area. Relative to incomes, it doesn't seem much different than NY or DC.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Artistry hubs that have become high-income exclusive and broadly unaffordable tech havens:

• San Francisco
• Seattle
• Denver
• Portland
• Austin
• Nashville
Nashville is a tech haven?? Portland and Denver also don't strike me as belonging in the same group as Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin when it comes to tech.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Boston isn't horribly expensive, like Bay Area. Relative to incomes, it doesn't seem much different than NY or DC.
Boston is definitely an expensive city/region. New York and DC are, too. They might not be as bad as the Bay Area (nowhere is), but they're all expensive cities with high costs of living.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Nashville is a tech haven?? Portland and Denver also don't strike me as belonging in the same group as Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin when it comes to tech.

Portland is way more blue collar than Seattle or SF. Our focus is mostly hardware, not software. All of Intel biggest fabs are here. That draws other, smaller device and chip manufacturers too.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Dude… Amazon HQ 2.5?
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Dude… Amazon HQ 2.5?
Thats NOVA

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:22 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Thats NOVA
No, that’s HQ2.

HQ 2.5 was shorthand in the media for the giveaway office that Nashville got in the same process:

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/job...azon-nashville

But, of course, those details are hard to notice, right?

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:28 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Portland is way more blue collar than Seattle or SF. Our focus is mostly hardware, not software. All of Intel biggest fabs are here. That draws other, smaller device and chip manufacturers too.
yes, tektronix is there, for example. And Linus Torvalds lives in the Portland area, FWIW.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:31 PM

Quote:
No, that’s HQ2.

HQ 2.5 was shorthand in the media for the giveaway office that Nashville got in the same process:

Plus Oracle is planning to build a campus there and once built, Ellison of course said it would be the HQ.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I read the average condo in Boston now exceeds $1 million. That seems expensive to me even if the incomes are higher. Incomes are also very high in the Bay area and that does not make their cost of living more reasonable compared to places like Chicago and Texas cities. Not discussed here is the impact of wage/income inequality. I am not sure that tech is the cause of it as I don't believe the Bay area has greater income inequality compared to a less tech driven area with high housing prices like LA or even areas with lower housing prices comparatively speaking like Miami. I believe the homes in the Miami or LA area may not be any more affordable than those in the Bay area because average salaries are much lower.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:51 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
True. They have tech, but not in massive proportions. And Portland's is mostly manufacturing, which generally pays less.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:56 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I read the average condo in Boston now exceeds $1 million. That seems expensive to me even if the incomes are higher. Incomes are also very high in the Bay area and that does not make their cost of living more reasonable compared to places like Chicago and Texas cities. Not discussed here is the impact of wage/income inequality. I am not sure that tech is the cause of it as I don't believe the Bay area has greater income inequality compared to a less tech driven area with high housing prices like LA or even areas with lower housing prices comparatively speaking like Miami. I believe the homes in the Miami or LA area may not be any more affordable than those in the Bay area because average salaries are much lower.
This is actually a problem in Houston and TX in general; CoL is dirt cheap by coastal standards but there's a lot of poverty and low wages shutting many out from even the cheapest of housing.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
No, that’s HQ2.

I mean, I dont remember Nashville getting anything.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:36 PM
你的媽媽

It's also important to note that not all tech is equal, as mhays alluded to. Even when you look at the tech powerhouses of Austin, Seattle, and SF, they're not exactly on equal footing. There's a fairly steep drop off from one to the next (SF >>> Seattle >>>>> Austin).

Using a skyscraper analogy, it'd kinda be like comparing the skylines of NYC to Chicago to Jacksonville. Seattle has the two large companies in Amazon and Microsoft, similar to how Chicago has Willis Tower and Trump Tower, but SF has more tech "supertalls" (Alphabet, Apple, Meta, Nvidia, Tesla) and 2nd and 3rd tier "skyscrapers" (Netflix, Salesforce, Adobe, Uber, X, Intel, AMD, Cisco, EA, eBay, HP, Intuit, PayPal, Seagate, Western Digital) that give it much more overall bulk. And Austin while it does have somewhat of a tech scene, is largely derivative of SF/Seattle's. It doesn't really have any "supertall" that makes it stand out on its own.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:40 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I mean, I dont remember Nashville getting anything.
https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/corporate-offices

Nashville is basically a 3rd HQ.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 9:16 PM
Paradise Island

It creates something like the resource curse in developing countries. It generates a lot of economic activity but the results of it are so unbalanced that it tends to stifle non-tech industries. The resource curse is largely because of what large amounts of resource exports do to exchange rates whereas tech's issues come from the fact that its money distorts local real estate markets which then crowds out non tech workers and industries.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Boston is definitely an expensive city/region. New York and DC are, too. They might not be as bad as the Bay Area (nowhere is), but they're all expensive cities with high costs of living.
I'm pretty sure that New York metro's housing burden (housing costs vs income) is substantially higher than San Francisco's. According to this link, Boston's rent burden is also slightly higher than San Francisco's: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/08/thes...in-the-us.html

Granted, that shows rent burden and does not factor in purchasing power, but I suspect the result is similar.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:44 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
This checks out for the most part.

According to this, the least affordable housing markets are LA, Miami, Irvine, NYC, Long Beach, Newark (NJ), Anaheim, SD, SJ, and Boston. SF is 11th and Oakland is 13th. Austin is 17th and Seattle is 20th. DC is 37th. Chicago is 62nd.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Chicago is 62nd.
And Philly is 75th!!

If you wanna live like middle class royalty in a properly urban big American city, you know where to go.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 29, 2024 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
It's also important to note that not all tech is equal, as mhays alluded to. Even when you look at the tech powerhouses of Austin, Seattle, and SF, they're not exactly on equal footing. There's a fairly steep drop off from one to the next (SF >>> Seattle >>>>> Austin).

Using a skyscraper analogy, it'd kinda be like comparing the skylines of NYC to Chicago to Jacksonville. Seattle has the two large companies in Amazon and Microsoft, similar to how Chicago has Willis Tower and Trump Tower, but SF has more tech "supertalls" (Alphabet, Apple, Meta, Nvidia, Tesla) and 2nd and 3rd tier "skyscrapers" (Netflix, Salesforce, Adobe, Uber, X, Intel, AMD, Cisco, EA, eBay, HP, Intuit, PayPal, Seagate, Western Digital) that give it much more overall bulk. And Austin while it does have somewhat of a tech scene, is largely derivative of SF/Seattle's. It doesn't really have any "supertall" that makes it stand out on its own.
Although I agree with the grander premise, I do think the final two sentences are wrong and ignore that Austin has had a tech presence longer than Seattle and before Microsoft ever existed.

1957: Austin Area Economic Development Foundation (local group dedicated to luring manufacturers of electronics and scientific equipment)
1962: Tracor
1967: IBM
1969: Texas Instruments
1974: Motorola
1977: UT’s IC2 Institute
1982: Microelectronics and Computer Consortium
1984: Dell

And I’m not so sorry, but Austin has plenty of “supertalls” beyond the above. Tesla and Elon Musk, for instance, or Samsung’s single largest plant anywhere. IBM, for instance, houses most of their design work in Austin.

https://www.academia.edu/5618347/A_H...olis_in_Austin

Compare these dates to Seattle:

1962: World's Fair
1969: Boeing Computer Services
1979: Microsoft relocates
1981: MicroRim
1984: Washington State Software Industry Development Board (the Austin equivalent happened in 1957)
1985: AMI

Seattle's Boeing presence starting in the 1920s is less akin to modern computer tech or San Francisco's early tech industry and more akin to Detroit's motorized vehicle industry, and I personally do not include their flight history in Seattle's tech scene even if it is one reason that made Seattle a natural fit for a computing technology industry (the skills in manufacturing and designing the former are transferable to the latter with some additional training and education). In fact, local leaders at the time saw it this way, too. I split the difference and included the Boeing division dealing with computing above.

Seattle’s presence in recruiting computing tech started in 1962 at the World Fair, Microsoft was founded in Albuquerque in 1975, and most contemporary accounts describe Seattle as “emerging” as a tech center when they relocated in 1979. Biographies largely describe this as being for familial reasons, and less for business and recruitment purposes (he moved away from his biggest client in Albuquerque and didn't even move to the city they were HQed in, Boston). Even after Microsoft moved there, local governmental and industry reports described the Seattle economy and workforce as unable to support the nascent industry. Seattle didn't get around to luring other major tech companies beyond Microsoft or develop local incubators and P3s until the mid 1980s after Microsoft moved there and needed the help.

https://www.historylink.org/File/9190

Fact: Austin's government and economy had long established the region as a tech hub before Seattle's tech scene ever got off the ground.

Last edited by wwmiv; May 29, 2024 at 11:56 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions