HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:03 PM

So what's the best neibourhood in Saskatoon, and why?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Ooooh, now that's a great question. Thanks for posting - I'll be curious to see what we get here for responses.

My first choice would be a riverfront lot on Saskatchewan Crescent West, across the river from Victoria park. But there's only a couple dozen of those properties and it doesn't count as a neighbourhood, so that's cheating.

Perhaps surprisingly, my pick would be Grosvenor Park. I just really like those 1960s era homes on their large lots with mature trees. Copland, Garrison. Lake & Bate Crescents have some great large, older homes. Plus the area is close to both the U of S and to retail on 8th street and isn't all that far from the river or Broadway, either. Maybe not the spot for a single or a couple but really well-suited for families.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
I lived in City Park for 8 years. Nice neighborhood, close to downtown lost of restaurants within walking distance. No grocery store within walking distance.

I moved to Willowgrove, purchase a condo. It was fantastic. Extremely walkable. The commercial area around the square/clock was not built yet, so you needed to walk over the strip mall. The linear parkways were excellent.

Honestly I though I would not like the burbs, but Willowgrove (and all the newer developments) have been extremely well done. It fells a little artificial (like being in Disneyland with architecture that is not "authentic" for the period) but I liked it.

Moved out to west coast about five years ago.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
IMO, can't really beat Nutana - located as centrally as one wants, close to all ammenities, highly walkable, good transit options, relative safety compared to other older neighbourhoods, diverse range of homes (detached, apartments, condos, luxury riverfront and affordable units available), diverse demogrtaphics, nice parks and easy access to river. I suppose it's why any time someone asks for a general recommendation on which neighbourhood it's always the most given answer.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:40 PM

Thanks, dudes! Very interesting.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 9, 2021 at 8:54 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:57 PM
Peddling to progress

I second the vote for Nutana.

My wife and I were fortunate to find an affordable rental two blocks from Rotary Park. As members of the younger working class we could walk (or better yet, bike!!!) to work in under 30 minutes, all of the best brunch locations (poached, hometown, OEB) were a short stroll along River Landing away, all of the downtown and Broadway pubs were so close we didn't need to worry about a DD and we were in the middle of every event (taste, fireworks festival, impromptu spike ball games at Rotary).

In the before times our house would have been the go-to spot for backyard BBQs after a day on/by the river. I never had in-person classes while living there but the commute to the UofS would have been hard to beat. The best public tennis courts in the city are also a stone's throw away.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 10:46 PM

Downtown's about to take a hit if those with nothing to lose kill off the Meridian development on Spadina. I don't understand why they're worried about change. Life will go on as it does with every generation, and every generation leaves its mark on their town as it grows. And the churches will still stand tall on Spadina. The people against the development are full of reasons and attitude, but they should put up and help the churches and neighbourhood instead of killing a pretty good plan of infill and sustainability. :>)

Last edited by Ricopedra; Dec 9, 2020 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Downtown's about to take a hit if the old losers with nothing to lose kill off the Meridian development on Spadina. For the life of me I don't understand why they don't just fade away without causing more trouble. Life will go on and yes, flourish, without them, as it does after every old generation. And the churches will still stand tall on Spadina, if the outsiders haven't already killed off Knox's welcomed and pleasing best choice of income, Meridian's development. The people against the development are full of reasons and attitude, but they should put up and help the churches and neighbourhood or shut up.
Whoa. I think that's more than a little on the harsh, judgmental side. So far as I know, old people still enjoy the same rights as the young, including the right to express their opinions.

Personally, I'm in favour of the condo development but that doesn't mean that those opposed to it don't have the right to be heard and their opinions considered regardless of their age. As for putting up and helping the churches, I 'd be very surprised if most of the parishioners of St. John's Cathedral weren't opposed to the development. By attending and donating , they are supporting their church. Also, it sounds as though the support from Knox isn't exactly unanimous, either.

Yeah, I had some time on my hands, so decided to respond...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:47 PM

You're right, that does sound much harsher than it was meant to be. A regrettable take on nimbys and/or those particular long-in-the-tooth citizens who want to keep things as they have always been through their lives, forgetting that it was different before them and will be after. I'm getting there myself. I usually turn it down a notch after rereading if I do that, the reason I'm here now, but...oops. I've got to stop watching all those American political youtube videos, getting riled up. And mask protests in Calgary, and...there's no excuse. Not even the cold ones. I didn't mean old folks don't have the same rights or that they should not be heard. My bad. I'm still going to change my original.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Dec 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Whoa. I think that's more than a little on the harsh, judgmental side. So far as I know, old people still enjoy the same rights as the young, including the right to express their opinions.

Personally, I'm in favour of the condo development but that doesn't mean that those opposed to it don't have the right to be heard and their opinions considered regardless of their age. As for putting up and helping the churches, I 'd be very surprised if most of the parishioners of St. John's Cathedral weren't opposed to the development. By attending and donating , they are supporting their church. Also, it sounds as though the support from Knox isn't exactly unanimous, either.

Yeah, I had some time on my hands, so decided to respond...

For the record, I have reservations about this project. I am concerned the development will basically "engulf" the two churches taking away their historic beauty.

Just because I have reservations about the project and its potential negative impact on the churches DOES NOT make me a nimby or an old fart as some would suggest. I am entitled to my reservations whether you like them or not. Regardless of were I live in this city I can be concerned about its history and its beauty and anything that might have an impact.

All opinions need to be respected and considered. It is only by considering the pros and cons of any project that we can truly develop the best possible development. Respect other peoples opinions for they may have some good points that you never thought of.

I like the tower but think the location might be wrong.

Here's an option. How about building the tower on the parking lot behind St John's with a couple of stories on the parking lot behind Knox.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
For the record, I have reservations about this project. I am concerned the development will basically "engulf" the two churches taking away their historic beauty...
I have a bit of concern with the particular location of the building on the site, and think that as currently proposed it will cast too much shadow on the Knox Church, and think they should increase the setback and or general geometry somehow to prevent that. That specific concern doesn't really apply to St. John's since that cathedral is south of this site and will not be subject to a shadow, so I don't think this building will in any way engulf St. Johns, merely changes the backdrop (which can't realistically be expected to never change in a central urban area).

Quote:

I like the tower but think the location might be wrong.

Here's an option. How about building the tower on the parking lot behind St John's with a couple of stories on the parking lot behind Knox.
St. John's has no stake in the lot which this is proposed for, how would it benefit Knox Church in any way for the other church to steel this development away from them? The entire point of subdividing and developing this gravel parking lot is to raise funds for the church so it can remain sustainable.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
You're right, that does sound much harsher than it was meant to be. A regrettable take on nimbys and/or those particular long-in-the-tooth citizens who want to keep things as they have always been through their lives, forgetting that it was different before them and will be after. I'm getting there myself. I usually turn it down a notch after rereading if I do that, the reason I'm here now, but...oops. I've got to stop watching all those American political youtube videos, getting riled up. And mask protests in Calgary, and...there's no excuse. Not even the cold ones. I didn't mean old folks don't have the same rights or that they should not be heard. My bad. I'm still going to change my original.
Are you sure you belong on an internet forum? Your response was so much more thoughtful and reasonable than I'm used to seeing. Very much appreciated.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 6:51 AM

Cheers, Crisis;>) I was a bit overly passionate about this Knox project, which I don't think is perfect, either. It is shoe-horned in there and would ideally be better with little park spaces and sunshine around its perimeter, but that's impossible.

As for core living, it's exactly this type of option that could entice more folks to choose downtown or it's environs, maybe another infill or remodeling an older place - at least it might have a chance to enter the buyer/renter stream or realm of possibilities.The core is definitely not for everybody, but it is most certainly underutilized. North dt is just waiting, begging for a dense new hood with street level shops and living above. Build it and they will come.

I've read posts from several forumers here over the years of how they'd like to live DT or closer to it but there just haven't been any doable options, like the new Highpoint failure to launch, are just not the right layout or too expensive. What else was there to choose from? One, maybe two, projects. A high-quality rental could plop these folks in the thick of things for a year and let them solidify their ideas and desires.

I'm also intrigued by the new University Heights condo projects. Isn't the new Meridian 2x6 project close to that recently announced 12-story condo building going up? These satellite hubs of density are perfect for a future mass public transit project. I always got a kick out of that mini-skyline at Market Mall.

Anyway, there's an upswing in ideas and in shovels in the ground DT and on the East bank, too, so, here's to the future!

Last edited by Ricopedra; Dec 10, 2020 at 7:25 AM. Reason: A question mark - doh!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Cheers, Crisis;>)...These satellite hubs of density are perfect for a future mass public transit project. I always got a kick out of that mini-skyline at Market Mall.
I have always seen potential in this particular suburban centre - has always reminded me of a small version of Metrotown area in Burnaby (and look at that skyline now, it's surreal - not that Market mall will ever look anything close to that).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I cant really comment on the 'best' because that can mean stats wise ( crime, affordability, traffic, people, family life etc.. ) because im sure theres a few that we can debate over. And im in my early 30s and have been living in saskatoon for 12 years now, so i cant really vote on that.

But just for vibes, scenery and walking-driving around;

Id have to say montgomery , feels completely detached from the city and has this country lake type feel. Nutana and City Park are unique in their own way and i enjoy those areas as well.

great question though

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 8:23 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
I have always seen potential in this particular suburban centre - has always reminded me of a small version of Metrotown area in Burnaby (and look at that skyline now, it's surreal - not that Market mall will ever look anything close to that).
I had a dream not too long ago that the Market Mall area looked like Metrotown... or Dubai! Big shiny glass and chrome skyscrapers, elevated mass transit whizzing up and down Preston. It was quite the vision. Maybe I was seeing Market Mall circa 2100!

But yes, I agree that there is some potential for that area. It's the only suburban centre within Circle, the streets are still relatively "griddy" there, and its obviously very well served by transit as it is. What ever happened to those towers that someone had proposed there? I assume they fell through but I can't recall the chain of events.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:27 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 9, 2021 at 8:58 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:42 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 5:16 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:46 AM

Another local builder doing some fine work:

https://thestarphoenix.com/life/home...w-into-the-old

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan