HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 7:01 AM
perhaps . . .

In order to track all of these, I think I will divide things up into smaller quadrants defined by streets/ocean/river and we can pin things down without repetition: maybe a map. Then we can create area lists and sum them. Thoughts?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 7:05 AM

Hi Mcminsen,

I think that yellow crane you can see from Broadway Station is the crane for The Joyce development. I can also see it from my view at Kensington Cedar Cottage Community Centre and park. The crane is much more viewable from my point but its also really high in terms of elevation and all. I could also be wrong but just a guess based on what I know about the typography and viewing angles.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 2:41 PM
victory in near

There is a crane at the north end of the skeena tunnel, just beside the second narrows on the Vancouver side

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
There is a crane at the north end of the skeena tunnel, just beside the second narrows on the Vancouver side
I think that might be 3399 Bridgeway - Strata industrial / commercial, and storage facility by PortLiving [source: Cushman & Wakefield]

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
In order to track all of these, I think I will divide things up into smaller quadrants defined by streets/ocean/river and we can pin things down without repetition: maybe a map. Then we can create area lists and sum them. Thoughts?
Sounds complicated. There's potentially a lot of work for you with the speed with which things change. It's a long list, and will change nearly every week. Metro's list of 150m buildings works well, as it only involves updating the first post on the thread. I thought Leftcoaster's tables and categories made sense.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I was at Granville Square the other day and saw these cranes to the east. Two seem to be towards the design centre or north of Oppenheimer Park (?). The other crane seems to be in Gastown.
The two towards the design centre are probably Bench - 353 Railway, and Roddan Lodge on Dunlevy. The Gastown crane is 155 Water St.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 6:09 PM
victory in near

There is a crane at mountain highway a block down from Seylynn. And I believe 2 cranes building silos or something closer to the water

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 8:48 PM

Maybe we use a Google sheets document with different tables for different areas and because it's a Google sheets doc it can be open for all of us to edit therefore no one person is responsible for upkeep.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 12:23 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Maybe we use a Google sheets document with different tables for different areas and because it's a Google sheets doc it can be open for all of us to edit therefore no one person is responsible for upkeep.
Sounds good. Could you set that up?

If my doc keeps me from work any longer, I might put together a map showing all the crane locations. I would need addresses for them all. It would be very cool to have a visual of their distribution.

Last edited by Marshal; Apr 15, 2019 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 6:00 AM

If I have a moment in the next few days I will punch something out. Not sure if Leftcoaster reads the threads regularly but if I had his original excel tables the process would be way faster to just upload and edit etc... In any case, I will see what I can do.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Surrey cranes (April 2019): 11
  • Park Boulevard (42 Storeys) x 2
  • King George Hub Phase B Residential 1 (40 Storeys)
  • King George Hub Phase B Residential 2 (29 Storeys)
  • King George Hub Phase B Office (15 Storeys)
  • Scott Road Station Village (6 Storeys) x 4 cranes
  • Fraser Landmark (6 Storeys)
  • Maverick (5 Storeys)

Under excavation / coming soon: 4
  • King George Hub Phase C (34 Storeys)
  • Linea (28 Storeys)
  • City Centre 3 (10 Storeys)
  • La Voda (6 Storeys)
Great stuff, thanks! I think you're going to need to be our resident Surrey guru going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerminalCity View Post
A couple more in False Creek/Mt. Pleasant:
- Midtown Central (Broadway/Fraser)
- The Beltline (8th near Columbia), one of those mentioned by ChangingCity

Cambie Corridor:
- Belpark (59/Columbia)

Rest of Vancouver:
- The Victoria (Stainsbury/Victoria)
- Commercial/18th rental project

So that's another 5, at least
Got em, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
224 W8th and The Beltline were the two I was thinking of in Mount Pleasant. There are a couple more going up very soon.

Pinnacle on The Park still has a hammerhead crane for now.

Roddan Lodge at 124 Dunlevy has another.

I think 155 Water has one too.
Added all those. The other Mt Pleasant office building is 2425 Manitoba I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I think the Wylie 'Olympic Station' is Leftcoaster's W2 - it was going to be condo; now it's rental.
Yep they're one in the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
There is a crane at mountain highway a block down from Seylynn. And I believe 2 cranes building silos or something closer to the water
Good call on the port cranes, hadn't thought of what's going on there.

Let me know if you think of the name of the Seylynn development. Could it be the tower at North Shore Winter Club on the other side of the river?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
If I have a moment in the next few days I will punch something out. Not sure if Leftcoaster reads the threads regularly but if I had his original excel tables the process would be way faster to just upload and edit etc... In any case, I will see what I can do.
I sure do. If you create the google sheets I can copy and paste my excel pages in there. Hopefully the formulas copy over too.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 10:51 PM

Here's the updated count:

Still missing a lot of the smaller projects out in the burbs I'd imagine. Also no numbers on UBC or SFU and what's going on at the campuses.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 11:47 PM

Heres the link to the google sheets doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 12:19 AM

Perfect, it's all in there now and the formulas seem to be working

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
If my doc keeps me from work any longer, I might put together a map showing all the crane locations. I would need addresses for them all. It would be very cool to have a visual of their distribution.
That would be amazing! A lot of work, especially to maintain, but really good visual tool as to where the action is in metro van.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Here's the updated count:

Still missing a lot of the smaller projects out in the burbs I'd imagine. Also no numbers on UBC or SFU and what's going on at the campuses.
I drove down North Road today, there are 2 cranes at 567 Clarke, and 3 (not 2) at Lougheed Heights, plus there are 2 cranes in behind Uptown on the SE corner of Clarke/Como Lake (for some townhouse projects?)

Down at Lougheed, there is one crane for City of Lougheed and two more cranes a bit to the East (one North of Austin by the golf course, one south of Austin in behind Cariboo Plaza - that one must be Hensley).

I might have missed some, but that's what I could see from the road - probably SpongeG knows the names of the developments I don't

So that puts Lougheed/Burquitlam at 10, rather than 6.

Oh, there must be at least one crane where they're replacing the Safeway on Austin as well? Yes, I see one in SpongeG's latest update, so make it 11.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 1:16 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
That would be amazing! A lot of work, especially to maintain, but really good visual tool as to where the action is in metro van.
Not so much work if you're laid up in bed with a laptop withing reach. I'll import a map into AutoCAD and pepper it with black dots.

New West is down to 1; only Brewery District, the dtn cranes are all down. I think the Austin Safeway crane is also down.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMD View Post
I drove down North Road today, there are 2 cranes at 567 Clarke, and 3 (not 2) at Lougheed Heights, plus there are 2 cranes in behind Uptown on the SE corner of Clarke/Como Lake (for some townhouse projects?)

Down at Lougheed, there is one crane for City of Lougheed and two more cranes a bit to the East (one North of Austin by the golf course, one south of Austin in behind Cariboo Plaza - that one must be Hensley).

I might have missed some, but that's what I could see from the road - probably SpongeG knows the names of the developments I don't

So that puts Lougheed/Burquitlam at 10, rather than 6.

Oh, there must be at least one crane where they're replacing the Safeway on Austin as well? Yes, I see one in SpongeG's latest update, so make it 11.
Made the changes on the google doc.

Sitting at 132, still missing a ton I imagine. Anyone go to UBC or SFU? Any cranes up there?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 7:30 PM

Live at Forte in Burnaby on E Hastings has a crane up.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 8:09 PM

Thanks! Added it to Brentwood, despite it not really being Brentwood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues