HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I doubt the design on the balcony glass will be very visible in the final result.
I doubt they'll be there at all in the final product.

These a marketing gimmicks that developers/architects use to sell the building and get past the design panel.

Once a design permit is granted you'd be surprised to see how many of these design features and elements get trimmed or sacrificed and cut completely to save money.

I'm still not even convinced that GoldHouse is still going to end up with that screen display feature that was so prominent in the renderings.
Until I actually see it in the final built building.

Always read the fine print:

"Image shown represents the artist's depiction only and does not represent an assurance of the final product.
The developer reserves the right to change the final design of the building"

(or something like that).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy View Post
those swirly things look corny and do nothing for the architecture, just fight against it..if they are truly interested in the headwaters of Burnaby, they should give 50 million towards stream rehabilitation and protection in the area

I hate this kind of bland and useless referral to nature while the REAL nature languishes
Do you really think that that's going to be the developers' primary concern and aim and intention in a project like this, ....
...or that it should be?

It's a hook to sell a project.
That's all.

Their moneys used to sway political purposes typically tends to get spent in different ways then what you think they should do.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post

I'm still not even convinced that GoldHouse is still going to end up with that screen display feature that was so prominent in the renderings.
Until I actually see it in the final built building.
There was a rendering without it.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 5:39 PM

I hope Concord makes a rooftop garden on the top of these buildings. I really enjoyed their rooftop garden on Park Ave Surrey buildings on 48th floor.

However, the Park George they are selling now DO NOT have one. It is a waste of the nice view up there. Not many people can spend couple millions to buy two corner units to enjoy the 360 degree view at the high level. And I really don't want to live that high in sky....

A view on 66th floor should be much more AMAZING !! I really hope they do that on these 3 new condo buildings.

The Park at Metrotown has a nice rooftop garden and a 2-story high resident lounge up there too. The view of from their photo are nice up there.

Concord web sites has the "Coming soon" there for many months now.

How long it take for Burnaby to finish the second reading ? The status has not been changed since Dec 2017 on their major project document. What is next after that before Concord is allowed to start pre-sales in Canada ?

Are they allowed to pre-sale now in Hong Kong at current stage ? It can put local buyers in a very big disadvantage. BC should set up a law to make local Canadian residents higher priority than remote buyers for these condo pre-sales. Condo are viewed as first time home buyer market for many local young people and family who need a place to own and live, they should be given a better chance to buy first. Many presale event sold all their one bedroom in first day or first few days, most of the buyers are investors and looking to flip the unit or rent them out.

https://www.burnaby.ca/City-Services...-Projects.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-clam9 View Post
Concord web sites has the "Coming soon" there for many months now.

How long it take for Burnaby to finish the second reading ? The status has not been changed since Dec 2017 on their major project document.
This is going to take a long time. It's only on second reading for the master plan (not any of the individual buildings) as the mall is suing Concord for trying to pull a fast one.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 7:22 PM
BANNED

Good.. I hope Concord's application gets rejected or they lose the lawsuit

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilmoreStation View Post
Good.. I hope Concord's application gets rejected or they lose the lawsuit
Yeah, not being the tallest in Burnaby, not to mention BC, would not bode well for the resale value of those poor Gilmore Place condos... Oh well, that title is almost certainly lost.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
This is going to take a long time. It's only on second reading for the master plan (not any of the individual buildings) as the mall is suing Concord for trying to pull a fast one.
Correct me if I am wrong. I read one comment from another web site saying that the landlord lost the lawsuit. I can't find it again this morning.... Anyone has the official update ? Thanks :-)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong. I read one comment from another web site saying that the landlord lost the lawsuit. I can't find it again this morning.... Anyone has the official update ? Thanks :-)
The Mall (or Ivanhoe Cambridge, for that matter) is not the Landlord.

The land that Concord Pacific is building this project on is owned by them, i.e Concord Pacific ( and formerly by Sears) and not IvanHoe Cambridge.

The dispute is not over the land itself, but rather, 'right of way' and easement issues to do with access to the mall from Kingsway and also with IC/Metropolis believing they should have a say in how the design will be carried out so as not to harm their business interests.

That whole site has a complicated history in terms of ownership, mergers, grandfathered ownership clauses and rights, so it's no surprise that the case has ended up in court.'

It wouldn't surprise me if indeed it did turn out that the mall had lost the lawsuit.
Their claims were a bit far-fetched IMHO.

It would be like you coming to a gentleman's or handshake agreement with you neighbor for access to a park nearby via a path that traverses his land, and then years later after he's sold his house and the new owner passed on ownership to his son who then decides to build and extension that cuts off your access path; and you then decide to sue him - who had nothing to do with the original agreement you made with the previous-to-previous owner and your original neighbor.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:50 PM

@Spr0ckets, Thanks for sharing the detail !

Concord said this project is coming soon in their main web site, I guess they expect a very good chance to settle this case in a year or two. This lawsuit has been more than 1.5 years old now. The readings and public hearings by Burnaby is very slow too......

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
The only thing I could find was on court listings (file number 156270 for anyone who can look into it further) that the last update was June 1st.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:50 AM

Quote:
The only thing I could find was on court listings (file number 156270 for anyone who can look into it further) that the last update was June 1st.
This is not a free service, it charges a small fee to see the case...

Vancouver Law Courts
IVANHOE CAMBRIDGE II INC. v SEARS CANADA INC.
Supreme
Supreme Civil (General)
Open 30Jul2015
Last update 01Jun2018 (so it is more than 3 years old...)

https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/esearc...iceId=48920144

Anyone has free access to this report and can understand its legal terms ?

Last edited by e-clam9; Oct 11, 2018 at 7:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:36 AM

This is what I can see on this case. Not sure what all these mean.

Initiating
Document Amended Document # Document Description Date Document Filed Claim Amount Document Request
11 Requisition 01Jun2018 View
9 Notice of Change of Solicitor 29Jan2018 Request
10 Notice of Trial 22Jan2018 View
8 Response to Counterclaim 24Jan2017 View
7 Consent Order 11Jan2017 View
6 Requisition for Consent Order or for Order without Notice (Form 31) 21Dec2016 Request
5 Counterclaim 21Dec2016 View
4 Reply 06Oct2015 View
amends 1 3 Response to Civil Claim 08Sep2015 View
2 Certificate of Pending Litigation 30Jul2015 Request
yes Yes 1 Notice of Civil Claim 30Jul2015 View

The most recent result was a trail on Jun 24, 2018 but I guess it was canceled (Y under Canc. column).

Hearing Date: 24Jun2019
Hearing Time: 10:00 AM
Hearing Location: Vancouver Law Courts
List Type for the Hearing: Supreme Court Civil List
# Document Description Reason Result Canc.
10 Notice of Trial For Trial (Judge alone) Y

It also seems Sears was removed from the Solicitor list On Jan 29, 2018. Am I right ? Not sure... I am not expert on these.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 3:47 AM

Quote:

The most recent result was a trail on Jun 24, 2018 but I guess it was canceled (Y under Canc. column).

It also seems Sears was removed from the Solicitor list On Jan 29, 2018. Am I right ? Not sure... I am not expert on these.
I think I get the gist of it - mostly they're filing claims and counterclaims at each other (and at a snails pace to us non-experts).

The trial was scheduled for June 2019 (not 2018).

It would make sense for Sears to be removed from the case as they officially became dead on Jan 14 2018. After that Concord are on their own.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
I think I get the gist of it - mostly they're filing claims and counterclaims at each other (and at a snails pace to us non-experts).

The trial was scheduled for June 2019 (not 2018).

It would make sense for Sears to be removed from the case as they officially became dead on Jan 14 2018. After that Concord are on their own.

Thanks for correction. I guess we won't see any pre sale for another 8 months at least.

I am back to sleep...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:

Initiating
Document Amended Document # Document Description Date Document Filed Claim Amount Document Request
11 Requisition 01Jun2018 View
9 Notice of Change of Solicitor 29Jan2018 Request
10 Notice of Trial 22Jan2018 View
8 Response to Counterclaim 24Jan2017 View
7 Consent Order 11Jan2017 View
6 Requisition for Consent Order or for Order without Notice (Form 31) 21Dec2016 Request
5 Counterclaim 21Dec2016 View
4 Reply 06Oct2015 View
amends 1 3 Response to Civil Claim 08Sep2015 View
2 Certificate of Pending Litigation 30Jul2015 Request
yes Yes 1 Notice of Civil Claim 30Jul2015 View

Hearing Date: 24Jun2019
Hearing Time: 10:00 AM
Hearing Location: Vancouver Law Courts
List Type for the Hearing: Supreme Court Civil List
# Document Description Reason Result Canc.
10 Notice of Trial For Trial (Judge alone) Y
What does it mean? A ton of very happy lawyers, bathing in big piles of $$$.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
What does it mean? A ton of very happy lawyers, bathing in big piles of $$$.
Lawyer is like dentist. You don't want to see them but you can't live without them...

It is sad to see old Sears and Toys'rus buildings there at Metrotown...

Do you remember how they were in their old days ?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Do you remember how they were in their old days ?

Personally wouldn't mind Concord paying tribute to Simpson Sears in the redevelopment, but that might just be tacky

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post

Personally wouldn't mind Concord paying tribute to Simpson Sears in the redevelopment, but that might just be tacky
....not to mention completely anachronistically outdated.

Given that Sears just filed for Bankruptcy today and are officially pretty much under the dirt at this point (despite their claim that they still plan on keeping some stores open regardless of the Chapter 11 filing.)

Funnily enough, for the Toys R'Us, the Canadian stores (or at least some of them, which I imagine would include the Metrotown one) were doing well enough and were even profitable despite the parent US company being forced to file for bankruptcy protection, and there was talk of selling off the Canadian division (ala Circuit City's Canadian stores which was bought off by Bell Canada and converted and re-branded to 'The Source' when their own US parent company went under)

Unfortunately Sears weren't so lucky as they were bleeding revenue all over.

It's strange how sometimes certain brands that work in Canada, fail in the US (or whichwork, as their parent companies are failing in the US), while the reverse is true for other brands (Target is still doing pretty well in the US despite their spectacular failure to establish a foothold in Canada).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:45 PM

https://vancouversun.com/business/co...rtical-village

Main points: Approved, 2025 completion, taller than Gilmore Place, at 219.5 Meters. Good news, though I expected it to be in the 220 Meters range. Finally, the tallest building is returning to Metrotown.

Last edited by owenhujb; Jun 5, 2019 at 2:45 PM. Reason: Typo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley