HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 7:59 PM
Mooderator

Nice. I went to Carleton many eons ago and stayed at Glengarry residence. I remember the elevators going into free-fall mode every once and a while. Pretty exciting stuff.

I wonder why that building hasn't been demolished yet. I'm sure it's been renovated, but what is the life span of a residence like this?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Nice. I went to Carleton many eons ago and stayed at Glengarry residence. I remember the elevators going into free-fall mode every once and a while. Pretty exciting stuff.

I wonder why that building hasn't been demolished yet. I'm sure it's been renovated, but what is the life span of a residence like this?
You are correct that it has recently been renovated - Glengarry, Renfrew and a couple of the other older residences were renovated when I went to University (2008-2014).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 1:10 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

1125 Colonel By Dr [Carleton U Residence Bldg] | 30m | 9f | Proposed

Carleton University is proposing the development of a nine-storey student residence building with 166 dwelling units and approximately 450 beds.

The currently landscaped lot for the proposed New Student Residence building is located at the north section of the campus, to the west of Campus Avenue, facing the main campus entrance (University Drive). Furthermore, a continuous sightline exists from the site towards Bronson Avenue and down Sunnyside Avenue.

Some of the proposed design features applicable to the City OP and Carleton’s 2016 CMP in the New
Student Residence design include:
• Provide affordable housing to students with an estimated 450 beds (166 dwelling units)
• Compact development with well defined public and private spaces. This includes the ground floor
that accomodates a public connection to the tunnel system; communal amenity spaces accessible
to all CU students on campus; semi-private amenity spaces and exterior spaces on the upper floors
as well as an accessible roof for residents of the New Student Residence. Bookable private spaces
are also provided for the use of residents.
• Environmental and sustainable design features such as storm water management and Passive
House Design principles;
• Exterior amenities consider pedestrian friendly walkable streets, pathways and tunnels; the entire
perimeter of the New Student Residence building will be fully accessible and inclusive.
A series of outdoor amenity terraces, seating areas and pathways will help tie-in with the existing
campus landscaping and pathway systems, while emphasizing the landscape design and
maintenance;
• The New Student Residence design reinforces the connection to Carleton’s surroundings
while supporting and promoting an active campus year round. Multiple indoor amenity areas will
help animate the predominant glazed façade facing both Sunnyside Avenue on the east and the
campus’ main pedestrian pathway on the west;
• A strong emphasis will be placed on the design quality of the proposed New Student Residence,
while providing attention to durable and sustainable materials. It will strive to present a distinctive
identity and reflect Carleton University’s commitment to exceptional student support, as well as
inclusive learning, living and community experience. (Also refer to other applicable drawings and
studies in this SPCA submission)

Architect: Diamond Schmitt Architects and KWC Architects

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__BP3474

Site:

Renderings:

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 3:02 AM

I was under the impression that the next residence was to be located immediately north of Leeds House, but I guess plans have changed. I seem to recall there was a bit of an issue a few years ago when the university and student groups opened an aboriginal garden in this location, and then the university went to relocate it a few months later to prepare for construction.

This new location does seem like a better one, as it will extend the tunnels further north from their current terminus to link new construction to the north when it does happen.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
I was under the impression that the next residence was to be located immediately north of Leeds House, but I guess plans have changed. I seem to recall there was a bit of an issue a few years ago when the university and student groups opened an aboriginal garden in this location, and then the university went to relocate it a few months later to prepare for construction.

This new location does seem like a better one, as it will extend the tunnels further north from their current terminus to link new construction to the north when it does happen.
That residence was going to be a graduate residence, whereas I believe this one will be for undergraduates. Perhaps they are seeing less demand for a graduate residence since they originally proposed the other residence?

EDIT: Okay, I found the old thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ton+university

Turns out it would be aimed at non-first year students, not exclusively graduate students. Perhaps they are seeing less demand in that market since Envie.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 12:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Carleton breaks ground on new $16M Engineering Design Centre

By: OBJ staff
Published: Nov 19, 2020 5:23pm EST

Carleton University has broken ground on a $16-million facility for its Faculty of Engineering and Design aimed at triggering new “collaborative opportunities” with industry partners and providing more hands-on learning experiences for students.

Construction on the new 25,000-square-foot Engineering Design Centre on Library Road began earlier this month. The facility will provide space for fourth-year students to work together on design projects.

The three-storey building designed in a joint venture by Diamond Schmitt Architects and KWC Architects will feature a makerspace with technology such as laser and waterjet cutters, 3D printers and injection moulding machines as well as design studios, workshops and meeting areas.

Engineering and design dean Larry Kostiuk said the new space will combine both theory and practice.

“For students, fourth-year projects are much like working on a startup ​– serving as an opportunity to explore new ideas that require sustained commitment, critical thinking and improvisational skill,” Kostiuk told the university website.

“Having a dedicated physical space where students can work together towards a shared goal helps them gain valuable transferable skills for the future.”

The university said it is “keen to collaborate” with local companies to help prepare students to tackle real-world problems.

“Alumni and partners can help enhance the long-term vision for the building by developing new collaborative opportunities and adding leading technology so that students and community can work together on shared challenges,” the university said in a news release.

The new Engineering Design Centre is expected to open in the fall of 2021.

https://www.obj.ca/article/real-esta...-design-centre

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:11 PM

Wow, that building looks like it could have been part of the original campus... That's not a compliment.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Wow, that building looks like it could have been part of the original campus... That's not a compliment.
I agree – and disagree.

Yes the building blends in with the existing surroundings – but, I think that that is a good thing. Remember, this ‘new building’ is, basically, filling in a missing corner of the original brick Mackenzie Engineering Building. I think the architects did a great job of blending their addition with the rest of the building. It, obviously belongs, but is readily identifiable as an addition, with all of its large windows.

Personally, I feel that this is the type of thing that should have been done for the Chateau Laurier.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:42 PM

This image is a few weeks out of date but its gives a good idea of where the extension.

Last edited by rocketphish; Nov 20, 2020 at 5:58 PM. Reason: Resized the image

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
I agree – and disagree.

Yes the building blends in with the existing surroundings – but, I think that that is a good thing. Remember, this ‘new building’ is, basically, filling in a missing corner of the original brick Mackenzie Engineering Building. I think the architects did a great job of blending their addition with the rest of the building. It, obviously belongs, but is readily identifiable as an addition, with all of its large windows.

Personally, I feel that this is the type of thing that should have been done for the Chateau Laurier.
Thanks for the context and thank you LRTeverywhere for the pic.

I could see on the rendering that it was an addition to an older building, but with the picture/google 3D view, it gives me an even better perspective.

Diamond and Schmitt did something similar with the NAC, maintaining the geometric pattern but with a modern glass façade, with great success IMO. I agree it would have been a good approach for the Château Laurier and I do wish Larco would have given a chance to a few architects, such as D+S for their experience in additions on historic buildings, possibly Padolsky with local experience with heritage restorations and additions, such as the Queen's Lantern on the Museum of Nature. Architects Alliance has very little such experience and what they do have resulted in poor integration.

That said, this Carleton addition, although my opinion has shifted a bit with context, is still too basic IMO. Facing the canal, I wish it had more personality. Maybe a more distinguished entrance and plaza. Not just a block added to a block.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:28 PM

... but it is just a block added to a block. Its only 25000 sq.ft. and used for 'industry collaboration' i.e. lab space. Therefore large public galleries are still focused at the Minto Entrance rather than hidden within the loop at McKenzie. Replacing the outer doors at the main McKenzie stairwell still requires some sort of main entrance and hallway, hence the framed opening on that one elevation.

This isn't a tower on the canal, its infill on the outside, empty corner.

YES, if this was a 20 storey tower within the same footprint, now THAT would have required a rethink. But using modern materials to match the existing cladding isn't such a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Thanks for the context and thank you LRTeverywhere for the pic.

I could see on the rendering that it was an addition to an older building, but with the picture/google 3D view, it gives me an even better perspective.

Diamond and Schmitt did something similar with the NAC, maintaining the geometric pattern but with a modern glass façade, with great success IMO. I agree it would have been a good approach for the Château Laurier and I do wish Larco would have given a chance to a few architects, such as D+S for their experience in additions on historic buildings, possibly Padolsky with local experience with heritage restorations and additions, such as the Queen's Lantern on the Museum of Nature. Architects Alliance has very little such experience and what they do have resulted in poor integration.

That said, this Carleton addition, although my opinion has shifted a bit with context, is still too basic IMO. Facing the canal, I wish it had more personality. Maybe a more distinguished entrance and plaza. Not just a block added to a block.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:44 PM

That new residence should be getting started soon or may have already started construction: https://carleton.ca/fmp/2021/new-stu...ence-approved/

New Student Residence Approved

Monday, October 4, 2021

Quote:
Construction of a new 456-bed student residence is set to begin in Fall 2021, at an estimated cost of $90M. The building will consist of 168 single-rooms and 142 double rooms with shared semi-private washrooms and increased privacy in the design of double bedrooms. The new building addresses the rising demand for student housing over the last 10 years, since the addition of the Lennox and Addington residence building.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:55 PM

No sign of anything happening yet, they cut down the trees on the lot about 2 years ago though.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 6:15 PM

I'm amazed this has taken as long as it has. There was a big deal made about the school forcing the grads students to move their garden back in 2013/2014 so construction on this could get started, then nothing happened. They've rebuilt the intersection at the entrance to campus twice in that time.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 6:50 PM

There are designs for what I believe was an approved residence building next to Leeds building that just never started construction, this new residence building is actually in a different place, right beside Stormont and Dundas, in front of the bridge over the tracks.

Don't know why they proceeded on a whole new plan instead of one they already had ready, I'm confident this one will be built but I'm not getting excited until I see a hole in the ground.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 4:30 PM

The work site for the new residence building has been established.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTeverywhere View Post
There are designs for what I believe was an approved residence building next to Leeds building that just never started construction, this new residence building is actually in a different place, right beside Stormont and Dundas, in front of the bridge over the tracks.

Don't know why they proceeded on a whole new plan instead of one they already had ready, I'm confident this one will be built but I'm not getting excited until I see a hole in the ground.
This location does make more sense than the site next to Leeds, as the tunnels will have to be extended around Leeds building to continue the residence row the school proposes long-term. This building will connect to the existing tunnel nicely.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 4:18 PM

There have been a lot of mediocre buildings added to the Carleton campus over the years but I'm noticing a small improvement in recent additions. I wanted to add a few on top of the Nichols building that was recently finished. These are by no means spectacular but I think they're better than I've seen in a little while. Both buildings were designed by Montgomery Sisam out of Toronto.

Health Sciences Building:

More images here - https://www.montgomerysisam.com/proj...es-building-2/

ARISE Building:

More images here - https://www.montgomerysisam.com/proj...rise-building/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 3:34 PM

Canal and River buildings are pretty recent as well. Carleton is doing some great work when it comes to interesting new builds and renos. I feel like uOttawa has been building a lot of the same over the last few years (black and grey bar code buildings).

https://carleton.ca/bprc/people/canal-building/

https://carleton.ca/spaces/book-by-l...rvices-spaces/

https://conferenceservices.carleton....ichcraft-hall/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 8:25 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Arise building. Very cool addition to the riverscape, which is the most beautiful part of the whole campus. I haven't seen cladding quite like that anywhere in the world.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa