HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Should Calgary bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics
Strongly Agree 42 30.66%
Agree 33 24.09%
Undecided / Neutral 19 13.87%
Disagree 16 11.68%
Strongly Disagree 27 19.71%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 3:49 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

I thought only dictatorships with inferiority complexes were stupid enough these days to spend a fortune to bring in a bunch of kleptocrats to act as temporary feudal lords.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:09 PM

Some legacy items from the '88 Olympics as stated here and a few articles are the Nordic Centre, COP, the C-Train etc.

What could we potentially expect from hosting 2026?
- New Competition area at Fortress?
- Olympic Plaza Redevelopment?
- Perhaps a clean-up at West Village to possibly be an Athletes Village?
- Could this be a catalyst for Train service to Banff?

Even without events in the National Park, there would without doubt be plenty visitors to the Park and Townsite during the whole event... Is it realistic to use the Olympics to build passenger train service to Cochrane > Canmore > Banff? Perhaps even a temporary station near the Hwy 40 Kananaskis Turnoff to shuttle athletes if that ends up being the location for alpine events.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:17 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Considering the age of the facilities, it's probably a lot cheaper to start over. Renovation costs tend to be higher with usually hidden surprises.

The savings would be not having to assemble the land.
If you're talking about the Saddledome and McMahon, then I'd agree for sure. Much cheaper to build new than try to bring those facilities to a standard that would be required.

I was referring more to things like the bobsled track and the Olympic Oval, both of which have been well maintained and remain stops on the world cup circuit. Surely most of the existing bobsled track can be used - perhaps add an additional turn or two.

The Oval just had a roof replacement, so all that's really needed is a cosmetic refresh, although additional spectator seating would be nice to have.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 5:19 PM

[del]

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 5:25 PM

I think involving Banff and Lake Louise in a bid would be optimal. Obviously the utmost attention needs to be given to environmental concerns, but alpine events are not overly intrusive. Since the last bid, the Town of Banff has become a municipality and Lake Louise has hosted World Cup races annually, so I think there's a decent possibility of it happening. My suggestion would be alpine skiing at Louise and some of the freestyle events at Norquay.

The games could serve as a catalyst for public transport projects like Calgary to Lake Louise passenger rail and a gondola from Banff townsite to Norquay.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 5:41 PM

I seam to remember one of the big issues they had was the number of buses going through the park to get people to the venue. This might not mater as much now that the highway has fences. Traffic volume wouldn't be the issue it was when it was 2 lanes. So you are right, things have changed and maybe it wouldn't be such an issue.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 5:46 PM

[del]

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 5:50 PM

Why do you say it was in the 60's? That was for 88.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 6:00 PM
arf

^No, Banff bid for the 1972 Olympics so all of that would have been happening in the late 1960s..

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 6:03 PM

Right, but I am saying when the bid for 88 was going on, they had wanted to use Lake Louise for the downhill venue, but parks wouldn't go for it. That's why we have Nakiska.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 7:19 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
If you're talking about the Saddledome and McMahon, then I'd agree for sure. Much cheaper to build new than try to bring those facilities to a standard that would be required.

I was referring more to things like the bobsled track and the Olympic Oval, both of which have been well maintained and remain stops on the world cup circuit. Surely most of the existing bobsled track can be used - perhaps add an additional turn or two.

The Oval just had a roof replacement, so all that's really needed is a cosmetic refresh, although additional spectator seating would be nice to have.
Maybe you have a point with the Oval although it may be due for another roof in twelve years. I see a Pandora's box of possibilities in altering/extending a bob sled track.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 7:41 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Right, but I am saying when the bid for 88 was going on, they had wanted to use Lake Louise for the downhill venue, but parks wouldn't go for it. That's why we have Nakiska.
Thanks for the clarification. I remember that as well. UNESCO would also be putting pressure on that fornt and not just Parks Canada when it comes to Banff or Lake Louise. Yoho, Banff, Jasper and Kootenay are included in the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks UNESCO world heritage site.

I think Calgary has a lot going for it as a potential Olympic bid city. I think they could do it on a reasonable budget and I'd be supportive of it. I might even get a chance to see some of it with family living in Calgary.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 10:10 PM

Sochi cost $51 billion usd so... yikes. But If the feasibility study determines that the cost to refurbish the old '88 structures is reasonable and the games could be run almost cost neutral then I certainly think a bid is worth exploring. Of course, the IOC seems to take a dim view of 'hosting on a budget.'

Still, I hear that if the bribes are high enough they'll let anything fly.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 10:23 PM

I'm not sure you can compare anything to Sochi. That was just a money shuffling exercise for Putin. Look to Vancouver for costs. $6.4 billion. I'd suspect ours would be similar.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 10:56 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
And we would include the green line and over planned local infrastructure in the bid book, like the final ring road leg. Those numbers would be rolled up by the international media into the final quoted games costs, just like the Canada Line and convention centre in Vancouver were rolled up.
Speaking of over planned (and overdue?) local infrastructure... here's what I'm hoping Calgary gets sorted in time for a 2026 games

Green line, quarry park to aurora park as a min
Stony trail complete
Crowchild final config complete
8 av subway, and Stephen av improvements from Mewata through to east village
Stampede expansion complete, and new arena/stadium on railtown lands to tie it all together with east village and fort Calgary
Commuter rail to Banff

Long shot: Maglev from DT to Airport
Longer shot: All the way to Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I'm not sure Fortress has the topography to support the downhill events, and duplicating facilities to have short course events there might not be greatest. That being said if the lease holders are willing to pay for the dis-economies of scale then why not!
There is no way that Fortress has the vertical for the downhill. It might be able to do slalom. It has a great spot for moguls, though COP would be able to keep it in the city. Downhill would have to be at Nakiska (sucky course unless that new piece is developed (which might be in protected elk or sheep wintering grounds) or at Louise, which rocks but is in the park.

I though the raising of the bump on top of COP was designed to allow the vertical for slalom. It still seems short, but I remember reading something about that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
I though the raising of the bump on top of COP was designed to allow the vertical for slalom. It still seems short, but I remember reading something about that.
The new bump at the top of COP gave the hill enough height to host a women's slalom event, but not high enough for a men's event.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
The new bump at the top of COP gave the hill enough height to host a women's slalom event, but not high enough for a men's event.
Also allows for a proper moguls course.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy