HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
freeweed, don't pity us gay men. The eye candy during Stampede is RIDICULOUS. And some of it does love us back.

And gay dudes love corn dogs.
Cowboys in tight Wranglers?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 7:10 AM
Editor

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 8:09 AM
Hare Expert

After tonight I'm gonna go ahead and declare this year the best year for eye-candy in the past four years. Things are lookin' good...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 1:14 PM
Beer me Captain

Just got back from spending the past week out east (Tor/Ott/Mon) and two major observations.

1 - the significant awareness of Stampede this year. Whether it was the national media, the local media, advertising or just conversation, there was lots of buzz around it starting this week. Wednesday night in Montreal I spent over an hour at dinner talking about the fun things to do at Stampede with a group of francophones at a high end resto. Something I don't remember doing for the GP - . While I am sure a lot of it is related to the 100th anniversary, none the less, there was quite a buzz.

2 - the flight back on Thursday night from Toronto was the most entertaining one in a quite a while. Since the arrival of VOD, most flights have become very quiet, however about a 12-20 hat wearing passengers got on the flight at Pearson and ensured that this flight was a little more alive. Due to weather at both ends we didn't arrive until 2ish, however they were still at it, as were the large number of partiers, er people, picking them up at the airport.

So while some may "hate" Stampede, it certainly does help differentiate Calgary from the herd .... in a good way, IMHO.

PS. It was also quite funny to see all the first time tourists at the airport all moving between the luggage carosels taking pictures of the dinosaurs, military statues, etc. I do love how we use a normally dead space to advertise the area!!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 1:30 PM

I dub thee,

the Centipede.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
I dub thee,

the Centipede.
I love it!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 4:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
freeweed, don't pity us gay men. The eye candy during Stampede is RIDICULOUS. And some of it does love us back.
Hmm... I definitely need to Stampede it up with a coupla gay buddies then, just to get their perspective. Most of the women I go with are ... less than impressed with the level of douchebaggery. Unless I go with 22 year olds or something, then they're all over it. Although the military display does usually generate a fair bit of drool.

Quote:
Which is my favourite Stampede treat! Hmmm....

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 4:33 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

It feels weird not living right next to the Stampede for the first time in 3 years. Miss my view of the grounds and the nightly fireworks (and helicopter flyby).

With my schedule I don't think we'll get down to the grounds until next Sunday, but hoping to pack my gut with the goodness that are mini-donuts and deep fried oreos.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 5:07 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:

This made my morning!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
After tonight I'm gonna go ahead and declare this year the best year for eye-candy in the past four years. Things are lookin' good...
Indeed!

surreal, those pictures make me very happy. The Stampede has an ace photog!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 5:09 PM
Bring buildings to life

A few of my own...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 5:12 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Mini horses, fuck yeah! The only horses I like.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Calgary has changed in amazing ways, and that history is inspiring to consider when thinking about the next hundred years!

Along the same lines, the Globe and Mail article "What the 100-year-old Calgary Stampede means to Canada" is also a good (and perhaps eye-opening) read.

Interesting tid-bit:

The community that the Globe and Mail article talks about in paragraph #3 is also the one that won the "best overall entry" at the parade ... again. Their breakfast is Saturday morning. Quite an amazing event if you're free.
Breakfast mentioned by the Globe and Mail was quite something!
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/v...01-47144/parm/

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 7:00 PM

You hit the nail on the head. Love it or hate it, there`s nothing like it anywhere else on the planet. Every city has the usual default festivals...jazz, film, ethnic festivals, etc... but nobody has what we've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Just got back from spending the past week out east (Tor/Ott/Mon) and two major observations.

1 - the significant awareness of Stampede this year. Whether it was the national media, the local media, advertising or just conversation, there was lots of buzz around it starting this week. Wednesday night in Montreal I spent over an hour at dinner talking about the fun things to do at Stampede with a group of francophones at a high end resto. Something I don't remember doing for the GP - . While I am sure a lot of it is related to the 100th anniversary, none the less, there was quite a buzz.

2 - the flight back on Thursday night from Toronto was the most entertaining one in a quite a while. Since the arrival of VOD, most flights have become very quiet, however about a 12-20 hat wearing passengers got on the flight at Pearson and ensured that this flight was a little more alive. Due to weather at both ends we didn't arrive until 2ish, however they were still at it, as were the large number of partiers, er people, picking them up at the airport.

So while some may "hate" Stampede, it certainly does help differentiate Calgary from the herd .... in a good way, IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 7:49 PM
Community Guy

YEE HAW

That is all

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 8:00 PM
not a NIMBY

The fireworks last night were really impressive. We could see all the fireworks locations although McCall Lake was somewhat obscured by downtown. The fireworks at Heritage Park that blazed "100" in the sky were amazing!
Also the flame on the Tower and a big orange moonrise added to the awesome night.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 9:59 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, or they just aren't into the things that make Stampede fun - the drinking, the late night partying, the overall rowdiness. Which is fine, everyone has different opinions and tastes. But I find the anti-Stampede types are just a tad *too* vocal about it, as opposed to everything else in life that shares these qualities. I suspect these people would visit Germany and bitch about how Oktoberfest is just fake and stupid and annoying. Or Rio and whine about Carnivale. Young people get drunk and stupid everywhere at any time, but for some reason Stampede is just WAY too much for some people.

I'm well into my "grumpy old man" phase of life and hardly ever stay up past midnight, and even I can appreciate the crazy 10 day party that this entire city turns into. Maybe it's my last bastion of cynicism. But there's an energy in this city at this time of year that's just so hard to not enjoy, even if I don't take part in 90% of it.
No they wouldn't because they would have a slight self loathing quality about 'fakery' that we put on, but love the fakery that other cultures put on.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 10:14 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I love the Stampede! Women in daisy dukes, boots and cowboy hats! What's not to love
What about Cowgirls in Bikinis

bikiniespyIMG_0058.jpg by tremaine.lea, on Flickr

bikiniespyIMG_4138.jpg by tremaine.lea, on Flickr

bikiniespyIMG_9794.jpg by tremaine.lea, on Flickr

bikiniespyIMG_4089.jpg by tremaine.lea, on Flickr

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Jul 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 10:39 PM
Editor

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 3:48 AM
City of Blinding Lights

I was out of town on parade day Sony watched the overage today on CBC. I must say that it was one of the best parades in a long time. But I must say that CBCs coverage was shit. They had a brutal spot at the beginning of the parade route where they seemed to catch a number of the bands between songs. Additionally, they had a number of e names of the entries wrong or out of order.

It's really a shame given that CBC had nationwide coverage of the event. I would have expected better for the "centipede"

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 3:58 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Oh snap, but I don't think that 2200 sausages are enough

Chinook Centre Stampede Breakfast swarmed by record crowd of 70,000

Officials forced to cut off serving line a half-hour early

BY AMANDA STEPHENSON, CALGARY HERALD JULY 7, 2012 6:03 PM

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Chinook...#ixzz20051Jrpa

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation