HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 1:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The pharmacy building is one of a very small number of brick and stone institutional buildings in the city. Once they're gone they're gone.

If I remember correctly the base of the Tupper building has a lot of 1960s-era character. Again, once it's gone it's gone -- and it's unique in the city.

This doesn't mean that nothing can ever be done with that site, but an effort could be made to save it. For example, they could reinforce the old building and use it as the base of a new tower while preserving the pharmacy building and the appearance of the lobby.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 3:27 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The pharmacy building is one of a very small number of brick and stone institutional buildings in the city. Once they're gone they're gone.

If I remember correctly the base of the Tupper building has a lot of 1960s-era character. Again, once it's gone it's gone -- and it's unique in the city.

This doesn't mean that nothing can ever be done with that site, but an effort could be made to save it. For example, they could reinforce the old building and use it as the base of a new tower while preserving the pharmacy building and the appearance of the lobby.
Based on the Dalhousie University masterplan, the highrises won't be built on top of the pharmacy building. Do I understand you correctly - you want to reinforce a 1960's era building (the lobby area) and build a highrise (actually two highrises) on top of it?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 3:52 AM

I think the lobby is my favourite thing about the Tupper building.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 4:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Based on the Dalhousie University masterplan, the highrises won't be built on top of the pharmacy building. Do I understand you correctly - you want to reinforce a 1960's era building (the lobby area) and build a highrise (actually two highrises) on top of it?
Potentially, if they plan to build a highrise there. My point is that an effort should be made to preserve architectural detail, even in cases where something might not be in vogue today.

I am not sure what the plan is because I have only seen vague drawings of potential massing. With this development in the works the next one is presumably at least a few years off.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 11:36 AM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac26 View Post
The oldest building on the Dal campus is the Forrest Building (1887). It is the large brick building with the central tower, it faces east in the Carlton quad.
When was this building moved?

It was originally downtown I believe, and was moved to this campus quite a while ago, but it is not the original building site.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
When was this building moved?

It was originally downtown I believe, and was moved to this campus quite a while ago, but it is not the original building site.
this a website about the Dalhousie buildings; some interesting old ones on Morris Street
http://www.library.dal.ca/duasc/buildings/list.htm
"The Forrest Building, being the only Dalhousie building from 1887 until 1914, was first known simply as the "new" Dalhousie College. Dalhousie's location since its inception in 1818 had been on the Grand Parade at Duke and Barrington Streets, but it had outgrown this setting by 1885 and began negotiations with the city of Halifax to sell the original building and relocate. The site of the new campus, at the foot of Carleton Street and bordering Morris Street, was favoured by many. It was central, yet separated from the bustle of downtown, and with ample open space around it, athletic activities and future expansion would now be possible.
The cornerstone was laid for the new Dalhousie College on April 27, 1887, by the Honourable Sir William Young, former Chief Justice of Nova Scotia. It was Young's generous donation of $20,000 which helped finance the building. The Forrest building cost approximately $50,000, which was spent on a cash only basis, at Young's stipulation. The contractors were A. E. Milliken and Company. The building was completed for September 1887."

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

ANS reported that a project management team has been assembled for this development and it has to be ready by late 2015. Sounds like construction will begin soon.

New rendering:

http://www.dal.ca/dept/facilities/ca...-building.html

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 2:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

An article in ANS mentioned that construction is to begin in March.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 4:46 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It reminds me a bit of the Dickson Center at the VGH - circa 1983 govt low-bid architecture.
Take a Look at Algonquin College in Ottawa.
began with 1960's modernism, devolved to 80's/90's govt cheap, and now within the past few years has gotten brave.

60/70's

90's

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 7:58 PM

Work looks to be starting here, parking lot fence is down and an excavator is on site.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 9:33 PM

Foundation walls are being poured. Still plenty of excavation left, but considering the lineup of dump trucks here this morning, it won't take too long.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 10:38 PM

^Good to hear. I'd normally request photos but I'm moving somewhat nearby in two weeks so I can wait.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Good to hear. I'd normally request photos but I'm moving somewhat nearby in two weeks so I can wait.
Not too much to see yet, I have been lazy with photos as of late. You are out west right? Moving back for good?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 4:04 PM

Not much to see yet, still working on foundations:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:43 AM

I drive by this each day on the way in to work. The north elevator shaft is probably approaching the third floor, the east stairwell or elevator shaft is around the second floor and almost all the foundation is in. It looks like this will be a steel-frame building with concrete cores. Doesn’t look like we’ll be seeing a tower crane here, looking like it will be all mobile crane work. I’ll get a picture next time I can get a chance.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 7:34 PM

Today:

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 1:25 AM

Some sub par shots by me from the weekend:

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 1:37 AM

Photo update from today, a mobile tower crane is now on site:

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 12:53 AM

Steel is going up:

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 10:16 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth