HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Pretty sure this is concrete not woodframe.
it's 5 storey concrete - and a much better location than 33rd - IMO.

$620 per foot is pretty much in line with the concrete developments at Kingsway/Main area. Even re-sales at Uno and Sophia are close to, if not over $600 per foot.

Average price is probably in line, but I would not be paying over $800,000 for an apartment at this location

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 8:37 PM

surprised thier going for $620 sqft since I just sold a unit in the sophia for $563 sqft and bought one in the Social for the same and I got 700 sqft terrace... pricey

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:37 PM

As far as I know, it's 4-storeys of woodframe building above concrete retail at grade.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I think people are trying to buy into Main thinking it will become the next place to be. It's getting quite trendy... I'll give it that.
Getting trendy? Main has probably been the trendiest "high street" in Vancouver for a few years. Compare it to more affluent strips like Dunbar or 41st in Kerrisdale and there are way more places to eat and shop along Main. By contrast The Drive has been mired in its "anti-everything" attitude for too long. Perhaps Fourth, or Broadway west of Macdonald comes close, but they don't have the level of trensetting clothing retail that Main does. Cambie Village is too short a strip.

Prices per sq ft are probably higher than 33rd and Main because Bastion's development is right in the middle of the area, while 33rd is at the southern edge.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Getting trendy? Main has probably been the trendiest "high street" in Vancouver for a few years. Compare it to more affluent strips like Dunbar or 41st in Kerrisdale and there are way more places to eat and shop along Main. By contrast The Drive has been mired in its "anti-everything" attitude for too long. Perhaps Fourth, or Broadway west of Macdonald comes close, but they don't have the level of trensetting clothing retail that Main does. Cambie Village is too short a strip.

Prices per sq ft are probably higher than 33rd and Main because Bastion's development is right in the middle of the area, while 33rd is at the southern edge.
I can't even begin to describe how trendy Main St is over places like W. 4th/Kits - though, there are differences in the type of clothes that are offered. I just like the sourcing that Main St. stores do - they do go on hunting trips in NYC and London. The only place that rivals Main St. in terms of fashion is Gastown. These are the two places I head to find that highlight piece to top an outfit.

I don't like the location of 33 at all. 3333 Main St. is in a much more desirable location.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:00 AM
BANNED

Selling Fast

I was in the sales centre on Saturday opening day and they told me that unit 403 was a 2 bedroom at $538,800 same with unit 423. However today I call and they said 403 had sold for full price and unit 423 is now $548,800 that's 10,000 dollars more than it was last week.

It's a concrete building.

Wow 10,000 increase in just a few days imagine that...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 3:25 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

red_lantern are you in anyway affiliated with this development? Your posts seem to give that indication.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:32 PM

Can someone please show me where it says that this project is a concrete building?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:50 PM
ON3P Skis

@Nova9, I suppose the location difference is personal preference. 33rd is much closer to Queen E Park and the new community centre, and General Brock school is next door. If you have young kids or plan to start a family this is likely better. 3333 Main is much more in the hip/trendy area with more restaurants. I'll give you that 33rd is a little bit in the no mans land retail wise, though I'd expect that to change soon.

@red_lantern: This isn't all that uncommon. If a couple floorplans sell quickly and are more desirable, why wouldn't the developer try and get a little more for them? Nothing stopping you from submitting an offer at the original price.

@phesto: I've been told (and it looks like others have too) that it is a concrete building. I don't have any proof besides hearing it from real estate agents.

Construction progress from November 6th (photos aren't great):

Last edited by wrenegade; Nov 18, 2010 at 8:27 PM. Reason: photos

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 12:17 AM

How can retail options be expanded at 33rd? That would require rezoning Main south of 33rd. Unless that is part of the Little Mountain re-devlopment (whenever that actually happens).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 12:49 AM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
How can retail options be expanded at 33rd? That would require rezoning Main south of 33rd. Unless that is part of the Little Mountain re-devlopment (whenever that actually happens).
Basically It can't. I was talking more about the 29th-33rd area. Auto shop, Clarkdale's used car lot, little hole in the wall retailers, I expect them to change soon. Realtech has that project the car fell into and Unita Living has it's expanded rental project at 28th with BCL going back in.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Basically It can't. I was talking more about the 29th-33rd area. Auto shop, Clarkdale's used car lot, little hole in the wall retailers, I expect them to change soon. Realtech has that project the car fell into and Unita Living has it's expanded rental project at 28th with BCL going back in.
The nester's is on 29th or 30th and there's a McD's there and an awesome pho place. There is a cool homeware and style shop next to a new tattoo parlor, a yoga studio, and a hair stylist. so it's not like it doens't have anything but it has nowhere near the vibe that further north on Main has.

It very much has that periphery feeling.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 9:01 AM
BANNED

Concrete confirmed

Hey thanks for the photos AWVan they look great, looks like the building is rapidly coming along. I was looking at a few developments and was in the sales centre and the rep there told m the sam ething that it was a solid concrete building. They are changing a few top floor plans from 2 to 3 bedroom and will be selling for a whopping 700,000 plus. Waaaay out of my price range.

Nice to see a lot of activity along main street. Hoping they develop the corner of King ED and Main.

The liquor store is going back to the original location, under the new apartments by the McDonalds. I'm thinking there may be a starbuks at the 33rd development....since ther's not one in the area yet.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 9:02 AM
Vancouver Moderator

There may eventually be a skytrain station also, however Translink said the developer of a large project would have to pay for [most of] it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 4:48 PM

I can't help but think Main will be the next Kitsilano and soon enough Fraser will be the next Main.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 5:04 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lantern View Post
Hoping they develop the corner of King ED and Main.
Wesgroup is sitting on the property. Not high on their priority list right now.

Quote:
I'm thinking there may be a starbuks at the 33rd development....since ther's not one in the area yet.
I can confirm that there won't be one. The entire first floor will be a Rexall Drugs. However, a new coffee shop, Little Mountain Coffee Co., will open across the street in the old Abbie's Sports Shop.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lantern View Post
They are changing a few top floor plans from 2 to 3 bedroom and will be selling for a whopping 700,000 plus.
For low to midrange products, I usually see developers break larger into smaller units after the development was approved since it is typically easier to sell the small units. Perhaps, there is demand for larger units in the area so the developer is responding to it.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 7:52 AM
BANNED

Notorious new resident buys at 3333 Main

Interesting...I was dining at the Moxies on Broadway and there was one of the Bacon Brothers with his crew...he was telling them about a penthouse suite how purchased at 3333 Main....looks like the building will have a notorious new resident living amongst them.

If someone notices a smell from the above units, it's definately not bacon....must be another elicit substance...lol

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Sales Centre

I was in the Sales Centre today and they still seemed very unorganized. Some woman named Beverly kept saying units are on hold and didn't seem very welcoming. I don't think they have all their S...t together. The quality didn't seem too good either. Crack in the countertop and walls seemed a bit thin. I also talked to a construction guy that was smoking pot on the corner and he said they are putting it up as quickly as possible so that would lead me to believe the quality may not be up to par.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 11:45 PM

@phesto

I was just at the sales centre and the agent assured me that it is wood frame building above the retail level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver