HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for this fall?
The Incumbent: Anne Marie de Cicco-Best 0 0%
The Challenger: Joe Fontana 11 64.71%
Neither: Mayor McCheese 2 11.76%
I won't vote 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I just moved here a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure if I'm eligible to vote (also, I voted in the Windsor advance poll last week).

Last election I voted for Fontana but now he just seems to bug me whenever I see him on tv. Besides, doesn't he not even live in London?? I don't like Anne-Marie either. I live in Ward 13 and I do like the incumbent Judy Bryant though.
He lives in Arva. Close enough, in my opinion,

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
For my ward (I live in 10) I am decided. As much as GreatTallNorth2 will disagree, I'm voting for Van Meerbergen. Him and I actually know each other and I agree with many (not all) of his policies. The other guy running in our ward seems like a nice guy but I think he lacks what it takes to be a councilor, to be short and to the point.
The other guy running in our ward doesn't have much of a clue. In the debate with Van Meerbergen, all he could talk about was his skiing career. I don't hate Van Meerbergen and definitely think he is the more competent of the two. I just wish Van Meerbergen would realize that a good transit system is not an enemy to citizens of London.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 5:24 PM

Isn't there a rule that you can't run in an election in a jurisdiction where you don't reside (or own property)?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 6:42 PM

I could vote, actually checked to see if I am still on the voters list, but I didn't have time to vote in the advance polls, as well as know who I would vote for, besides my Ward 8 candidate - Paul Hubert.

De-Cicco is getting stale, and it seems like London's heyday from 4-5 years ago is done, and nothing seems to be happening to make it better. Meanwhile Fontana doesn't impress me either. His ploy with election signs ending up on De-Cicco's lawn turned me away from him, and he never impressed me as an MP either back in the day.

Can someone actually give any information in regard to Etheridge's run for mayor? Who is she, and although I looked at her site, she seemed pretty much doesn't seem to be a contender.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

http://video.vancouver.24hrs.ca/vide...n/630201986001

Wow. but c'mon, just a prank (and kinda funny and harmless). Better than her husband's joyride for which he seems to have faced little consequences

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 11:27 PM

Cynthia Ethridge's platform is unrealistic. Making London Transit completely free for riders is an impossibility. As far as I'm concerned she's a fringe candidate.

Van Meerbergen's other shortfall is that he's too much on the side of giving developers freedom. He threw a bit of a temper tantrum awhile back about the city trying to promote more pedestrian-friendly neighbourhoods. I used to really like him but once he did that he lost me. Developers have had too much of a free ride in London, cramming auto-centric pedestrian-unfriendly developments down our throats and turning London into the next Mississauga.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^at least mississausage gets the Absolute project. We get the Harriston.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 1:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I saw the first sign (corner of Western Road and Sarnia, in front of Petro Canada) for the racist nazi pile-of-shit Winnicki (mayoral candidate). It featured two pillars, with an Aryan Blonde woman in the middle, with some garbage like: White Culture the pillar of civilization.

I personally would like to hunt down anyone who votes for this floating turd and tear them each a new asshole.

Winnicki is from Poland. I suppose he forgot that Hitler and the Nazis considered the Poles to be lesser humans. Poland lost 17% of its population--more than any other country--during WW2.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 11:12 PM
User Registered

At least Winnicki has a platform. The two front-runners have yet to publish their platforms and the election's on Monday.

This sickens me. Why should I even go and vote when I have no idea what I'm voting for? Go look at the elections in just about any other city and you'll see comprehensive platforms from the candidates.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 12:19 AM

What exactly would a white supremacist hope to achieve as mayor of a mid-sized Canadian city? I sincerely hope nobody votes for this moron.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
What exactly would a white supremacist hope to achieve as mayor of a mid-sized Canadian city? I sincerely hope nobody votes for this moron.
What would he hope to get?

Just what you are giving him: attention.

Most people have never heard of this guy 'till now. Now after the media attention, for every hundred people who have now heard of him: 45 will consider him dangerous and repulsive, 45 will consider him an ignorant clown, 4 of the younger ones will investigate just what exactly white supremacy is, 3 with closet sympathies of some form or fashion will secretly hope that he creates havoc, and 3 true believers will have something to rally around - and perhaps connect.

It's that last 10% that, if inspired, can be the basis of a movement. It's happening all over Europe right now - even in liberal Scandinavia. It's been happening in parts of the US for over a decade now.

There is so much change going on right now, much it seeming to be out of control in the eyes of the general public. It disconcerts people - makes them paranoid and suspicious. Fruit ripe for the picking...

We are moving into an unstable time in the western world.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
What would he hope to get?

Just what you are giving him: attention.

Most people have never heard of this guy 'till now. Now after the media attention, for every hundred people who have now heard of him: 45 will consider him dangerous and repulsive, 45 will consider him an ignorant clown, 4 of the younger ones will investigate just what exactly white supremacy is, 3 with closet sympathies of some form or fashion will secretly hope that he creates havoc, and 3 true believers will have something to rally around - and perhaps connect.
Exactly - and this has been the case in Toronto this year as well. They also have a white supremist running for mayor, along with a bunch of other sideshows.

I saw one of these signs at Oxford and Wharncliffe this morning. When I went back by tonight it was gone.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 1:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Somebody trashed the Winnicki sign at Sarnia/Western road. I envisioned smearing it with dogshit, but, as others have pointed out, why give the retard more attention?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 1:39 AM

I saw one at Fanshawe Park and Richmond...the blonde lady caught my eye but I had no idea what she was doing on that sign (nor have I ever heard of this guy).
London needs to pass a bylaw prohibiting election signs on city property, every major intersection is an eyesore right now.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 7:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Two sighted at the corner of Oxford/Hyde Park. Where is dogshit when you really need it?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 9:13 PM

Someone spraypainted a mustache on Joe Fontana on a billboard on Springbank Drive.

The difference between him and Anne-Marie is that he isn't blaming Anne-Marie's campaign.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:38 PM
User Registered

Time to vote. Shall I choose the "do nothing" incumbent or the "sleezball" challenger? Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the wide variety of choice London! And no platforms from either front runner to boot! I know exactly what I'm voting for now!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 3:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

two for the price of one? with AMdeCB, you also get Friday Knight Lights (or whatever the fark it is called), and the cop-evading DUI man.

atv.ca

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 3:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Winnicki commentary on Youtube:

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:17 AM
User Registered

Mississauga just re-elected their 89 year old mayor.

Still neck and neck here in the L-dot (London).

My Simcity Stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy