HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 2:17 AM

what a beautiful, clean downtown you have! the first 2 pictures are amazing!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 1:27 AM

Quote:
I found downtown to be very much a mixed bag. On one hand, it is clear that residential infill at a fairly large scale is happening and will eventually transform the center city. On the other hand, I was disappointed to discover way too many suburban-style plazas and green spaces around many of the buildings (most of which are still offices), which really made the place feel like a suburban office park writ large. I was pleased to find the streets packed with people, but disappointed to discover that almost every storefront was a lunch spot for office workers, leaving virtually no bona fide retail. While I was impressed by the expensive and well-maintained streetscape (benches, lights, bus stops, etc), I also found it a little too forced - clean is good, but this was so polished that it didn't seem real.
I absolutely love charlotte! When I visit I always make it a point to visit uptown. Coming from someone with some serious OCD I have to say the fact Charlotte is so clean makes me incredibly happy when I’m there. I also love the fact there are so many open plazas and trees. I think it’s beautiful. It’s a place that I personally would be proud to live… and that’s not something I can say about many places.
Uptown Charlotte has gone through a serious transformation in the last twenty years thanks mostly to Wachovia and Bank of America. Most all of the buildings there are relatively new, which has a lot to do with the cleanliness and up until recently there were only a small amount of people actually living in uptown so there was really no need for retail. The only thing they needed up there were coffee shops and restaurants for the bankers and businessmen on their way to and from work. Uptown charlotte is defiantly on its way. It will exciting to see what happens in another twenty years.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 1:46 AM

nice trains!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos