HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 5:00 AM
Reason and Freedom

Significant Progress

Latest photo update from the BC Lions website: http://www.bclions.com/photo_gallery/gallery/id/10977

Last edited by Prometheus; Jun 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 10:55 PM

B.C. Lions games at temporary stadium no easy ride for fans
By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun
May 28, 2010
Source

Quote:
The 27,500-seat temporary stadium at Empire Fields that will be used by the Lions for the 2010 season and possibly half of the 2011 Canadian Football League schedule is a throwback to simpler times. In truth, however, complications abound in the return to the dreamy football field of memory at the corner of Hastings and Cassiar, which was the team's home from 1954 to 1983.

The move, made necessary by the $458-million refit to BC Place, will require thousands of fans to change the transportation patterns they've used for the past quarter century. According to TransLink CEO Ian Jarvis, about 30 per cent of fans traditionally took SkyTrain directly to Stadium-Chinatown station, a short walk from BC Place. Now, those spectators will have to consider taking alternate bus routes, carpooling, ride sharing, walking or cycling to football games.
Read full article: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/L...#ixzz0pMTEP1sJ

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 6:00 AM

Only 30% took SkyTrain??? Oy..

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 3:56 PM
Shoebox Dweller

I wonder how many walked or took other modes of transit? There are a tonne of busses terminating downtown. Not to mention that this number probably does not include much Canada Line active service, and therefore the 98 b-line would be excluded, which I know is SUPER packed after a game.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 8:29 PM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 8:37 PM

It looks really good. They should have just built a permanent structure. It looks like it would be a great venue for college/highschool football, soccer and Rugby Games. Not to mention the amazing outdoor concerts it could house during the PNE.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 8:57 PM

It's still a shame they can't do grass at this venue. Turf just seems so fake. And we live in a lush environment!!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
It looks really good. They should have just built a permanent structure. It looks like it would be a great venue for college/highschool football, soccer and Rugby Games. Not to mention the amazing outdoor concerts it could house during the PNE.
I agree, but who would pay for it? A permanent structure would cost $$$ and would need a permanent tenant. And it's really just an awful location for a stadium, transit-wise.

But maybe now some naysayers will understand why the Whitecaps waterfront stadium was such an appealing proposal.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 10:38 PM

when sport was sport

Mmmmm. I like it!! A modern version of a good old-fashioned "stadium" stadium. Unpretentious, and a place where you concentrate on the game without being "wowed" by the retractable ceilings, or whatever!!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 11:28 PM

I love the stadium. I hope the Whitecaps Stadium eventually gets built, even if it does take several more years of waiting. I can't see Kerfoot being happy being at BC Place (or whatever the name of BC Place will be - Corporate naming) for too long. I think it will only serve the Whitecaps as a temporary home. But I wish too, that they wouldn't be so picky about being at the waterfront. Couldn't they build elsewhere (not Surrey, please - that wouldn't make much sense)?

I wonder too, if BC Place has any plans in trying to lure a pro baseball team to the city? They could use another tenant other than the Lions (and for now, the Whitecaps).

Plus, if you look at the pics above of Empire Fields, look just close the fans will be to the action on the field. Wow. I think that'll be an amazing experience for both Lions and Whitecaps fans.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 11:36 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igeneer View Post
It's still a shame they can't do grass at this venue. Turf just seems so fake. And we live in a lush environment!!
Don't get me started - I loath the fake stuff. Yes, we have lush greenery, but unfortunately all it takes is one heavy rain..., and with the digging cleats from a CFL game, the real grass would be trashed in no time. And swapping between CFL and MLS mode becomes a bit of a problem with markings on the field. That is one of the reasons the Whitecaps were after a stadium of their own.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 12:48 AM

I know, don't get me started with that plastic grass crap. But ya, real grass can never be used for the Caps as long as they share with throwball<<<they are pitch killers and destroy grass that needs to be at a certain standard to play "the beautiful game". That's the only reason. If the Caps were the only ones there than they may have had grass installed but that's an extra couple million for a mediocre grass pitch that would only get a few months use. A $4m pitch would be quality with a built in drainage system like Sub-Air that could handle daily monsoons.

This temp stadium kind of reminds me of a bottom of the table English 1st Div side if it had a roof going right around. Swansea City!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 1:19 AM
Reason and Freedom

You can find more photos here:

http://www.bclions.com/photo_gallery/gallery/id/10977

AND

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/view...bf8db3ba2a8898

If you want to experience the stadium in person, the BC Lions are playing their first home pre-season game this Sunday at 2:00 pm. It should be a party.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 1:25 AM

Considering this is all temporary costing $14-million to build, a permanent structure would likely cost at least double....my fingers are still crossed for a 30,000-seat Waterfront Stadium, perhaps with construction starting in 2020 along with the rest of the transit hub development.

This temporary Empire is nice, but not something I would want to stay for the long haul...I wonder what the PNE has planned for the stadium during this year's Fair.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Considering this is all temporary costing $14-million to build, a permanent structure would likely cost at least double....
I would bet it'd cost 10x more for a permanent facility... The Whitecaps stadium was going to be over $100 million and, although it was in an expensive location, it had zero parking or transit facilities to provide and I believe it was going to have less seats.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 11:36 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I would bet it'd cost 10x more for a permanent facility... The Whitecaps stadium was going to be over $100 million and, although it was in an expensive location, it had zero parking or transit facilities to provide and I believe it was going to have less seats.

I doubt that much bro

$45 mil....would get us a version of this >>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Stadium,_Swansea

add in some more seats and we are at 60 MAX

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 11:41 PM

^ Being built over the tracks on prime real estate was going to make the price higher... The original pricetag in 2005 dollars was $60 million, before the location was moved west into the prime location by the seabus. That was for a 15,000 seat stadium expandable via future 2nd deck to 30,000. The newer proposal is to start at 20,000 seats. The cost to extend the city street grid was going to be in addition to this.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Considering the most recent proposal would have about 50% of the stadium built on pilons over water, I'd wager that it would cost between $100-150 million to build in today's money.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 12:39 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
^ Being built over the tracks on prime real estate was going to make the price higher... The original pricetag in 2005 dollars was $60 million, before the location was moved west into the prime location by the seabus. That was for a 15,000 seat stadium expandable via future 2nd deck to 30,000. The newer proposal is to start at 20,000 seats. The cost to extend the city street grid was going to be in addition to this.
right and I am talking about a permanent facility at Empire Fields....

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:15 PM

Went to the game yesterday. It was exciting and the Lions had a good comeback despite the final score. As far as the football goes, Printers looked decent, Lulay looked awesome, and the receivers weren't dropping the ball as much as last week. Defensive coverage was terrible though, Ricky Ray was throwing bullets to guys who were wide open.

The field was great. This is really as good as it could be considering the temporary nature. Beer lineups were longer, food selection is better than BC Place, and the temp washrooms are fine so far.

I have row G season tickets close to the 0 yard line. I am in roughly the same spot that I was in BC Place, but probably 3x closer to the actual field, and the cheerleaders.

Another cool thing we found was that when the Lions are coming on to the field from their dressing rooms (portable buildings, poor guys), you can stand by the fence which is about 3 feet high and high five every player if you want. I'm sure this area will get super busy as people figure it out, but it's a cool touch for fans.

So overall, more intimate, can't see any real downsides to the temporary nature of it, and it should be a fun season.

Transit was a gongshow though. When the PNE is on it will be a full on nightmare I think. We had people drop us off and pick us up, which is probably the best option if you can manage it. Otherwise show up early and leave late. I'll be taking transit next time (from downtown), so I'll see how that goes.

I'm not sure what Translink's plan consisted of, but there are a few prime spots on Hastings where they could have had buses lined up and waiting, but we left and there wasn't a bus to be seen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver