HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Doubletree Hotel New York City - Financial District in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 7:13 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Who is this architect trying to ruin Manhattan??
Gene Kaufman seems to be designing all the McSam hotels.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 12:22 AM

For your viewing enjoyment [taken from my iPhone]:

Front:

Back [and awkward positioning to adjacent building]:

And Bonus!! 8 Stone Street's cousin only a few blocks away on Water Street. This thing popped up in the last year or two.

Last edited by sbarn; Aug 3, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post

And Bonus!! 8 Stone Street's cousin only a few blocks away on Water Street. This thing popped up in the last year or two.
Gene Kaufman actually respected the street wall in these examples?! What the hell happened? Out of the dozens of McSame's that he's plopping around the city, he's never done that before.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:54 PM

Awful architecture, but it's practically invisible and does no harm to its surroundings. I can't say I'm as upset about this as I was before.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:29 PM

Since my office is right around the corner from the Water street one (and I started this thread), I suppose I should weigh in...

8 Stone is bland. That said, it's actually shockingly less ugly than many of the 60s era buildings shoehorned into the same neighborhood. It will "get the job done." if you will.

The water street hotel is actually black (and not brown). It's boring as sin, but slightly less suited to the street it's on (despite being next to a building that's uglier). It happens to be a twin of a DIFFERENT brand new hotel in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, I don't have photos, and it's U/C on streetview (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour....83,,0,-31.56). In any event, these two aren't as good as 8 stone, which is pretty shady, considering 8 stone isn't a work of art.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:30 PM

a glass facade may have helped...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 7:25 PM

I very much enjoy play by play reviews of the construction of these types of buildings. Thanks for posting.
Cheers.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 7:28 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

I reserve my favorite expression for special occasions: Gag-A-Maggot!

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Awful architecture, but it's practically invisible and does no harm to its surroundings. I can't say I'm as upset about this as I was before.
I echo your sentiment. Its a pretty terrible building design-wise, however it blends in into its surroundings fairly decently.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 4:40 AM
BANNED

This building had to be made as frugally as possible in order to fill a huge need that NY has (i.e., cheap hotel rooms). NY is, by far, the most expensive hotel market in the US. Average families can't afford to spend $400/night for a lame room in Times Sq. That being said, I'll bet these rooms still cost at least $300/night when the hotel tax is factored in.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 5:09 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^That problem is going to get worse when the Hotel Penn is finally demolished, as it will take a huge number of cheap rooms out of the market.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 3:08 AM

Enter Harlem, my friends. I don't know WHERE this family was staying, but it was clearly an early forties couple and three kids, ages 15 down on the A train with me the other night. They got off at 125th street at 10pm. It was then that I thought to myself, now I've seen everything. And before you ask, no, they were clearly not from NYC. They had a firm midwest accent, and were staring at the subway map the whole way.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 3:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
^That problem is going to get worse when the Hotel Penn is finally demolished, as it will take a huge number of cheap rooms out of the market.
You're right.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
Enter Harlem, my friends. I don't know WHERE this family was staying, but it was clearly an early forties couple and three kids, ages 15 down on the A train with me the other night. They got off at 125th street at 10pm. It was then that I thought to myself, now I've seen everything. And before you ask, no, they were clearly not from NYC. They had a firm midwest accent, and were staring at the subway map the whole way.
That's interesting. However, for those not brave enough to venture onto 126th and 2nd Ave., these crappy McSams fit the bill.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 3:48 PM

This tower has nothing going on. And is that a brick facade? The City deserves better.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
and alot of bed bugs off the market...but please dont say that too loud the NIMBY's might hear.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
That's interesting. However, for those not brave enough to venture onto 126th and 2nd Ave., these crappy McSams fit the bill.
Good point.

My opinion is that this sort of non-architecture is completely appropriate given the location and overwhelming need for lower priced rooms. The building practically disappears into it's environment, a feat not as easily accomplished as one might think. The surrounding neighborhood is a completely discordant mix of practically every architecture style popular in Manhattan over the last 100 years.The drab exterior seems to hint just enough at all these disparate styles, from pre-war brick to mid-century box, 80's po-mo, and the newer stuff as well.

If every new tower were some glassy, dazzly, eye-catcher, the city would be a lot less interesting in a few ways. Obviously there would be an even more affluent consumer base, to pay for all the expensive materials and odd shaped floor plates the construction documents called for. Secondly, an excessive amount of "fancy" new construction would alter the city's character in an undesirable way. It would be like adding excessive seasoning to a soup halfway through the cooking process, permanently altering the flavor and ruining the wonderful synthesis that had begun to emerge.

The proposed towers Carnegie 57, Hotel Pennsylvania, Tour Verre, etc. will all bring plenty of (much needed) dazzle to midtown. However, there are already plenty of new glassy buildings to impress us, just let this one quietly serve its need.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 6:06 PM

No tour of downtown hotel stock just yet (there's 3 new-ish crappy buildings that aren't this one), but here's a few OF this one from yesterday...

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 12:19 AM

Could we get a final photo update on this one? I'd like to see what the ground floor entrance looks like. Thanks

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 2:10 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Better tall pablum than short pablum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive