HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 8:37 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
A gun store would be nice too, Wholesale Sports is there too.
I'd wait until you got your zit-faced teenaged head out of your ass before telling you what an ignorant comment this is, but I just can't.

We don't need "gun stores."

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 10:28 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
I'd wait until you got your zit-faced teenaged head out of your ass before telling you what an ignorant comment this is, but I just can't.

Fine, I'd like a Bass Pro down my street.

Edit: And a 7-Eleven in my closet.

Last edited by Vascilli; May 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post

I almost want them to open a Gun Store so we can see your reaction...

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 1:47 AM
Hare Expert

On a more realistic note, I'm surprised there isn't a high-end outdoors store opening at Aspen Landing. That stuff's big money and there isn't a place I can even think of that caters to that market.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 2:14 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Wow, someone's pissed in furry's coffee again.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
Taking over the former "RnR" store on the 2nd floor, Aeropostale's first Calgary store opens in Chinook this summer. It will be packed until people realize the quality is equal to (or possibly worse) than Wal-Mart. Just like Old Navy duds were once status items. Meh.
In no way to doubt you, but just wondering where you heard about this? I checked the Chinook & Aeropostale website and don't see any mention. I'm neither here, nor there when it comes to Aeropostale...But I guess choice is good!!

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 4:12 AM
I am a typical

I went to a gun store once.

I actually think Furry would be at home there. All they do is complain about things they don't think are good enough. It had a shooting range inside it too.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 4:14 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

I actually think Furry would be at home there. All they do is complain about things they don't think are good enough. It had a shooting range inside it too.
...Where is this and why haven't I heard of it? I'm a fan of try before you buy.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
In no way to doubt you, but just wondering where you heard about this? I checked the Chinook & Aeropostale website and don't see any mention. I'm neither here, nor there when it comes to Aeropostale...But I guess choice is good!!
The huge, logo covered hoarding in front of the store

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
...Where is this and why haven't I heard of it? I'm a fan of try before you buy.
There's an archery range (sorta) in Bass Pro. Complete with plastic/foam deer you can try to "kill".

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 4:20 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Thunder Bay.

We're also building a shooting range in the harbour area, mostly for police but private citizens will be able to get memberships there to practise, from what I've heard. It will be a larger, more modern facility. The one in that gun shop here is probably really small, but the retail area from what I remember was absolutely minuscule. It was like going into a gas station decorated with guns.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 8:40 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Offtopic, but speaking of gun ranges...

In Tampa (St. Petersburg, to be correct) they have a nice urban wetlands park that's set aside as a nature preserve. Complete with boardwalks through the swamp that you can get up and close with the wild gators, safely. At the end of the boardwalk you climb this tower which gives a great view of all the bird life etc that lives around this nice lake. Lots of informative signs about the local endangered species, etc. Very natural, very serene.

Then you hear muffled banging. Our friend (who's a local) informed us that there's a gun range literally right next to this park.

Only in America.

Oh, and I HAVE to add this: The most surreal US store yet. Guns and toys, together at last!

Vaguely sorta back on topic, I mention this stuff because it reminds me of exactly just how NOT "gun-toting redneck" Calgary really is, contrary to outside perceptions. I don't think I've even seen a gun here except at Bass Pro, and they're new.

Last edited by freeweed; May 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 9:58 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Oh, and I HAVE to add this: The most surreal US store yet. Guns and toys, together at last!
I've been there, its a great store. Guns, ammo, camping gear, live bait, etc,... plus games and toys. Remembered it from going there when I was a kid and we were on family vacation. Stopped there to check it out again when my wife and I were in Spokane a couple of years ago. We picked some games for quite a bit cheaper the nwe could get them in Canada.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 10:46 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
There's an archery range (sorta) in Bass Pro. Complete with plastic/foam deer you can try to "kill".
Don't they also have a pool of fish? In any case, a full on shooting range is different than "just" an archery range. (For some reason)

I saw Aspen Landing on Mothers day, the red building is very obviously a Shoppers Drug Mart, and there's no chance it would ever be a Future Shop because not only were they never a listed tenant, the store is too small for a typical Future Shop layout.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Don't they also have a pool of fish? In any case, a full on shooting range is different than "just" an archery range. (For some reason)

I saw Aspen Landing on Mothers day, the red building is very obviously a Shoppers Drug Mart, and there's no chance it would ever be a Future Shop because not only were they never a listed tenant, the store is too small for a typical Future Shop layout.
It is absolutely baffling that they chose to put a Shoppers there when there is already a brand new one just 2 km North of there in West Springs. Though, I did hear that Shoppers was opening a line of botique cosmetics stores under a sub-brand, maybe that's the deal.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 3:35 AM
Hare Expert

Something tells me they wouldn't use the same colour scheme though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a very large section with its own sub-branding.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Wow, someone's pissed in furry's coffee again.
I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, but that was a good one.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 4:06 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

If you were there, Vid, I'd be happy to sample some guns.

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
The magazine store With The Times, displaced from Mission last year due to demolition, will be re-opening next to the Good Earth that is being renovated on 11th Avenue and 15th Street SW. Looks like it will be open soon.
Are you sure you have the right address here? Living a couple blocks away from this, I'm pretty sure that whole area is residential.....

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 8:14 PM
not a NIMBY

he meant 11 st and 15 Ave SW

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy