HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 7:07 AM
Capitalist

Centre Port Canada is going to be huge.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 6:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

^true very true but without hype things can also flop

and hype too soon can bankrupte as in the case of the osborn 2

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 10:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o hey thunderbay is being tied into it

anyhow it pass's by regina and having accces to the coridoor is why they are building their inand port rather then having it pass through it and be able to have acces to the inferstructure going in

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 4:50 AM
Capitalist

Does anyone know if Regina will gain NASCO Port status?

That map shows the link to Thunder Bay from Iowa, but of course it is directly linked to Winnipeg as well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 9:20 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

they'll feed off each other witch will help both provinces and cities

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 9:53 PM

The problem with the new inland port in Prince George since its opening was that COSCO the main shipper out of Prince Rupert would not supply containers to the Prince George inland port due to the fact that they could make more money by sending back empty containers to china and get a faster turn around on the available containers. So eventhough there was a port here in prince george all containers had to be shipped south to Vancouver to get reasonable shipping rates.

Now that the economy has tanked the amount of goods that will be shipped out of prince george will increase due to the availability of containers.

Also part of the inland port proposal here in Prince George is the creation of an air cargo logistics and servicing park. Construction is to begin this year on the first phase of the park and a major arterial road to service it.

Prince George now has the third longest runway in Canada and is poised to compete with anchorage and vancouver for re-fuelling and cargo handling as the airport here has no operating restrictions, can accomodate fully loaded
A380's and will have no intital congestion and fast turn around times.

Allready there have been a few local businesses that have been able to expand simply because they have access to markets.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 10:41 PM

As long as the projects are phased correctly so you don't spend too much money without payoff then why not! The only problem Regina has it is even more geographically isolated than Calgary or Winnipeg (its competitors on the CPR) so its distribution foot print might be a little smaller than others.

These things are big job generators, Wal-Mart's Calgary cross docks employ 1000 people directly, and that is without counting truck drivers and the intermodal workers. Same with Canadian Tire's facility of similar size (1,000,000 square feet). In all more than 60,000 people in Calgary are employed in non-petroleum distribution and logistics according to our Economic Authority.

Who wouldn't want a piece of the pie!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
As long as the projects are phased correctly so you don't spend too much money without payoff then why not! The only problem Regina has it is even more geographically isolated than Calgary or Winnipeg (its competitors on the CPR) so its distribution foot print might be a little smaller than others.

These things are big job generators, Wal-Mart's Calgary cross docks employ 1000 people directly, and that is without counting truck drivers and the intermodal workers. Same with Canadian Tire's facility of similar size (1,000,000 square feet). In all more than 60,000 people in Calgary are employed in non-petroleum distribution and logistics according to our Economic Authority.

Who wouldn't want a piece of the pie!
regarding the Winnipeg-Regina comparisons...

Lets consider politics..Ideological polarization is getting stronger then ever before.......Saskatchewan may never have an NDP government again...We have turned the corner here and I believe right of center governments are here to stay, like our neighbour Alberta.

Manitoba i assume is still strong NDP and will remain so...The Sask Party here are not exactly fans of organized Labor..and believe me that is an understatement! plus Mayor Pat is a strong Conservative .

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 5:37 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post

Lets consider politics..Ideological polarization is getting stronger then ever before.......Saskatchewan may never have an NDP government again...We have turned the corner here and I believe right of center governments are here to stay, like our neighbour Alberta.

Manitoba i assume is still strong NDP and will remain so...The Sask Party here are not exactly fans of organized Labor..and believe me that is an understatement! plus Mayor Pat is a strong Conservative .
I strongly disagree. One year of a Sask Party government hardly constitutes Saskatchewan becoming Conservative after how many years of NDP dominance?

Secondly, it's time to vote out the Conservatives, at least at the federal level. Thirteen Conservative MPs have done and continue to do less than Goodale. Well that's not true, they continue to break promises....

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 5:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Thirteen Conservative MPs have done and continue to do less than Goodale. Well that's not true, they continue to break promises....
The difference being that Goodale is a good politician...

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post

Wow! I can see why this guy stopped posting in 2013.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 6:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

in my opinion parties are just a name and mean nothing its whos running them and what path they take them that matters

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 5:38 PM

^ Can you think of one product that needs value added manufacturing that it wouldn't make sense to add that at the point of origin instead, or at the final destination?

These centres are a mix of transhipment and industrial park land. The industrial parks won't be taking things off the rails, changing something, and then putting them back on the rails. If that was the case, why does it make sense to do that in Winnipeg rather than in China? The industrial park land will be for more local industries, to provide local markets. I would bet 95% on the industrial space users will not use the port like you described.

I am not saying transhipment and industrial parks are bad. Far from it. I am just saying that if it made sense to do where are the announcements? (from people other than government, or existing companies just relocating operations to the 'Port')

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 4:49 AM

Quote:
That's what I thought. Thanks for the response. There will be alot of land available for re-development when the yards are moved out but with the tracks still there how do you connect downtown to the new development in that area plus the warehouse district? Do you build bridges over the tracks? Is there an example of any Canadian city that has successfully integrated their downtown over the CP or CN mainline?
I think Calgary is a good example. They have passes that go under the tracks on most streets in the downtown area. They also have a couple of parkades that are built over the tracks.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the inland port stuff is all tied into eachother think about winnipeg is the link to the coridoor witch these others will be linked to through winnipeg witch will link their respective provinces its a win win for all of us

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:15 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the inland port stuff is all tied into eachother think about winnipeg is the link to the coridoor witch these others will be linked to through winnipeg witch will link their respective provinces its a win win for all of us
Witches!!! You mean they will have witches flying from one inland port to the other carrying cargo? I guess it is close to halloween.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:35 PM
Closed account

thanks for the photos , i wonder what the big dig is for

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:10 AM
Edan

Excuse my language but shit son that is huge.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 1:45 PM

Thanks for the photo update!!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 1:15 AM
Closed account

as stated 1,400 trucks per week will be coming out of the loblaws warehouse , one would asume they would build a warehouse for these trucks as a shop, those truckers make not bad money 1, 400 trucks that is going to be one busy place

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan