HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 6:25 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Corporate Whore I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

Certainly the building blocks of an amazing urban experience are in place. Winnipeg has no shortage of character buildings, luscious elms, or walkable neighbourhoods.

I guess its just matter of having good public policy in place to play up our strengths.

We're still waiting for the latter.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Here is a prime example of a typical Winnipegger's response to anything positive mentioned about the city by someone not from here.

Why is it that we can't just take a compliment and move on?

How about, "thanks, glad you enjoyed your visit."

Instead we drum up the seedier aspects of our city, that truth be told, occur in every larger community around the country and around the world.

Panhandlers.
Old buildings geting knocked over.
Developmentally challenged core areas.

Really, this stuff just happens here? I must have been dreaming in all those other cities I saw the exact same things.

jimj_wpg, you really need to take a vacation and open up your eyes. Or if nothing else, learn how to take a compliment.
Amen, we have a great midsized city. I love this place.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 2:06 AM
surely you agree with me

thanks for the kind words CW...its nice to hear the views of an intelligent tourist who looked beyond the stereotypes.

i often go to other cities (especially american ones) and come back thinking that for all our self deprication and our sketchy reputation, we have a pretty good start at something interesting....phoenix would kill for our urban quality.

i think that when the human rights museum gets built, attitudes might change about winnipeg, from inside and out.

downtown residential is of course our biggest need...as 1ajs says, every city has panhandlers, but it is a different experience to meet one on a crowded sidewalk, or by yourself on a lonely street...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan