HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:05 AM

build up you guys, I quite like to see how the parliament buildings, that crazy round thing, and the castle-like thing are all walled in by steadily walled in by more modern buildings... as long as it is set up so that the sun can always shine on parliament, i have no qualms with walling the place in... Make the history of the city that much more visual and impacting.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 12:37 AM

I don't think Ottawa will get a building over 35 storeys.The majority of office space in this city is rented by the goverment,and a tall shiney tower is looked at by the public as too extravagant.I remember a friend who worked for the Public Works dept.telling me that millions were spent on a property bought from Nortel to "tone it down".

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 1:59 AM
Still optimistic

Cheer up!
the day is coming and I can taste it!
think of the desification taking place! 25-27 floor buildings are plopping up!
we could realy have an impressive skyline with a building of only 45 stories and a couple of 35s to blend it in.

just wait!!!!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 1:03 PM

^I can't wait,I'll be dead by the year 3000.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 2:07 PM
Still optimistic

The population for Ottawa-Gatineau is supposed to reach 1,4million by 2012,
1,5 by 2016, 1,6million for 2021, 1,7million for 2026 and 1,9 million by 2031!

even 2012 might bring some major construction!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:39 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
^I can't wait,I'll be dead by the year 3000.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:41 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerLover View Post
The population for Ottawa-Gatineau is supposed to reach 1,4million by 2012,
1,5 by 2016, 1,6million for 2021, 1,7million for 2026 and 1,9 million by 2031!

even 2012 might bring some major construction!
Gotta disagree with ya there, dude.

Even with the projected population increases, Ottawa would have to become Chicago, T.O. or New York overnight in order to get some serious construction. It will never happen within our lifetimes and certainly not until the height restrictions are lifted, which certainly won't be happening any time soon...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:43 PM
Still optimistic

Sorry...
I am a radical optimist

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:47 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Sorry...
I am a radical optimist
Hey, no worries.

I find it very admirable that someone your/my age is so interested, optimistic and passionate about matters in the Outaouais. You just need to be a little more realistic.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:56 PM
Still optimistic

I feel young and appreceated!
but there are some albertan posters who really pis* me off.
nmmmnasdf
sorry, my cat likes to type...

anyway, High-Tech is a stable industry. and we could have a boom at any given time!

Mabe next week, a boom will spark the construction of 55 story buildings!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 6:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
nmmmnasdf

anyway, High-Tech is a stable industry. and we could have a boom at any given time!

Generally we don't plan with the assumption of booming, but I suppose it's okay to be optimistic.

Honestly, how did you expect people to react with a post like this one?

Quote:
Question;
dose it bother the slightest of people to know that the calgarian urban footprint is only slightly smaller than NewYork and it's boroughs?
Calgary may have the boom but not the population zoom!
That's pretty much the definition of flame bait right there. Take a moment to think about what you're posting and whether it makes any sense or not.

This is way off topic though. Oops!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 6:23 PM
Still optimistic

I wanted to either get more information from them, get their opinion or start a casual conversation...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:27 AM
National Capital Region

Downtown commercial height restrictions: Time to go
http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com...5584642636.php
Wed, Aug 26, 2009 3:00 PM EST

It is a generally accepted principle at city hall that combating urban sprawl across Ottawa requires a new look at density levels in residential developments.

This new philosophy culminated a few years back in city council's decision to support urban intensification as a way to make better use of available development space in and around our urban core; namely, more allowed units and more height, to allow for better use of available residential land. More height allows a developer to create something other than a short, squat rectangle and instead deliver a thinner tower, which lets more sun shine through and increased landscaping.

Nowhere is this more necessary than in the downtown commercial district where, once again, we face one of the lowest vacancy rates in the country as well as some of the highest rental rates. I would guess most residents probably don't understand why this is, or how it came to be.

Ottawa's downtown core is the preferred location for many different types of organizations. The federal government – by far and away the largest occupant of office space in the core – will likely always have a large contingent of employees that need to be near Parliament Hill in order to attend meetings, briefings and simply make government work. Other groups, such as national lobby groups, embassies and federally funded agencies, for whom proximity to the seat of power is not simply a "nice to have," would also say that a downtown location is essential.

Yet there is almost no space available to lease anymore. Tenants have little choice and less leverage than ever when it comes to negotiating leases unless they start their search very early. They can also expect to pay close to twice the rent downtown than in other parts of the city. Does this make sense?

Should the need to locate in Ottawa's downtown core cost your firm twice what it costs in Nepean or Kanata? Should it cost more than Toronto or Montreal? Certainly I agree there should be a premium paid for a better-quality building in a better location; that is basic real estate common sense. But a 100-per-cent premium over the suburbs? And don't get me started on the parking costs...

The solution is to allow for greater density on future development, which translates simply to more height. But in Ottawa, this is easier said than done. The National Capital Commission currently protects several dozen sight lines designed to preserve the views and skylines around national heritage buildings in and around Parliament Hill. These are some of the most photographed views of Ottawa and are represented in almost every postcard rack you might come across.

A significant aspect of the development restrictions are to ensure that the skyline behind and around Parliament Hill remain uncluttered and in virtually the same state as the 19th century. In other words, to ensure that from almost any point you stand to look at Parliament Hill, there is nothing behind it.

My question is this: Is this a realistic viewpoint for helping keep Ottawa moving forward and growing as it should?

Would Toronto be the same without the CN Tower? Would New York or Chicago or Shanghai be the modern symbols of commerce and trade without their signature skyscrapers? Is it right to insist Parliament Hill remain as the most prominent feature in the core ... forever? Would it be so terrible to have some architecturally pleasing, 45- or 50-storey towers providing a modern contrast to the Gothic style of the Peace Tower?

Is having a pretty postcard from every angle worth putting up with inflated rents and ugly buildings in the core?

If the answer to that question is yes, then the citizens of Ottawa had better prepare for some major development projects outside of the core as the need to expand continues.

According to recent trends, should the federal public service and its entourage of supporting Crown agencies continue to grow at present rates, then within the next decade we could easily run out of sites for new construction within the core.

Without a plan to accommodate new growth, we could find our city stifled in a very real and expensive way. You can't knock down old buildings to make way for new development without first moving existing tenants out of existing space. Thus, there needs to be available development sites in the core to ensure those people have someplace to move.

As always, the real victims are taxpayers and business owners forced to bear the consequences of significantly higher office rents as a result of a restriction on new supply. Downtown rents continue to rise and the assessed property taxes rise with them.

If you think about it, we have one arm of the government, the NCC, creating an artificial cap on supply, another arm of the government, the federal public service, creating huge demand which is driving up rents, and finally the City of Ottawa assigning higher property taxes based in part on the rents the feds are paying.

Since the federal government occupies more than 50 per cent of the core, the majority of the rental premium is borne by you and me.

Maybe it's time for a new way of thinking.

Darren Fleming is senior principal and broker of record for Cresa Partners.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 11:53 AM

Well, there's one unbiased party heard from! Not sure what "ugly" buildings have got to do with his arguments about height and density, although Centretown certainly has more than its fair share of ugly. Would it be so terrible to have some beautiful 45 or 50 (or 60!) towers downtown? I don't think so. Is there any likelihood of it happening. I don't think so. It seems to me that the current state of affairs is not ideal from either an aesthetic (too tall already) nor an economic (not tall enough) point of view. What to do, what to do.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:54 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
nmmmnasdf

OMG. Reading my early posts is embarrassing...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 7:07 PM
Mooderator

Ain't the internet grand?

I remember posting this in an old thread and thought it would be topical to post here.. what a 45+ storey building(s) would do to Ottawa's skyline..

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Something around this height on Lyon would drastically change things...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 10:05 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:

I remember posting this in an old thread and thought it would be topical to post here.. what a 45+ storey building(s) would do to Ottawa's skyline..
Geez, look at that NCC, we can still see the Peace Tower....Who would of thought..................

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 10:25 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:

oh wait, after looking at this Pic more and more, it looks like you placed the buildings in the parking lot behind diamonds, and the gluepot pub.

Claridge bought that lot and apparently they have plans to build a 17fl office tower and a 24fl condo.

Well, at least i can look at your rendering and dream.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 10:35 PM
Mooderator

Yeah, I made that almost a year ago to the day. I figured it'd never happen.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 2:56 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:

Dear God! Is that the start of an actual skyline?!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues