HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 3:45 PM
BANNED

I'm sure they are in no hurry the way the rental market is right now. They are probably planning it just so it opens as the market rate picks back up.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 3:52 PM

Alta, nothing. It's a good thing this board wasn't fired up when Tapestry/Willowalk was under construction. That thing started in 2001 or so and the final building just held its closings in the last two months.

http://downtownphoenix.blogspot.com

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 4:51 PM

That's true but didn't Tapestry run into financial problems with it's developer a'la Chateaux style? The thing with Alta is that is just seems odd that it would take nearly three weeks and still they have not completed one additional floor. Heck look at the CSJ, it to is fairly massive yet the SOB went up in record time. I just wonder what form of construction is the Alta developer using, it looks much different to me than what 44 Monroe, Summit or the CSJ used. Anyone have any ideas?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 5:23 PM
Skyriser

Alta and WCSOJ have to be built different... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WCSOJ is probably more analogous to highrise construction, with open floorplates and a central core, and probably the usual relatively easy to build metal studs and drywall on the interior. Alta is being built as a big concrete grid of apartment units, with lots of cast-in-place walls that take forever to build. Also, WCSOJ is under a deadline to be ready by 2008 and I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix were paying a handsome premium for that.

Consider an earlier shot of WCSOJ, courtesy of HX:

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 5:36 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Alta and WCSOJ have to be built different... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WCSOJ is probably more analogous to highrise construction, with open floorplates and a central core, and probably the usual relatively easy to build metal studs and drywall on the interior. Alta is being built as a big concrete grid of apartment units, with lots of cast-in-place walls that take forever to build. Also, WCSOJ is under a deadline to be ready by 2008 and I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix were paying a handsome premium for that.
I agree with you there mostly except for one part. I would say that its Arizona State that is footing a large part of, or all of, the premium for the accelerated construction on WCSOJ. It is their project and part of ASU. Not saying though that Phoenix isn't footing part of the bill also. If I am being too nit-picky apologies in advance.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 10:07 PM

January 17th, 2007

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 11:14 PM
Todo para la familia

I notice the last pic has a sign with Cosmopolitan Towers. What is the status of those towers cause apparently those were possibly getting built this year. I almost forgot about Alta Phoenix.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 11:37 PM

I completely forgot about Cosmopolitan Towers too, what's up with those? And I also don't think about Alta Phoenix because it's being built at a snail's pace, although every time I drive by it I think about how its presence is pretty significant and its "infill-ness" is good for downtown.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 11:45 PM

Yea Alta Phoenix, although slow, will actually be great for downtown. It will add 335 units, which is the biggest number of any signal project so far downtown, and they will be rentals...so more accessible then any other project as well. They are building ground floor retail on some of the streets and it has virtually no setback. It seems to be getting built "the right way", unlike some other projects going up these days.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 12:16 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I completely forgot about Cosmopolitan Towers too, what's up with those? And I also don't think about Alta Phoenix because it's being built at a snail's pace, although every time I drive by it I think about how its presence is pretty significant and its "infill-ness" is good for downtown.
They're dead. I called their sales office like 6 months ago and even went down to their sales office on East Van Buren, and their sales rep tried to make it sound like something was happening, but it all seemed like BS. She kept telling me how "oh in just a week we'll have a fence wrap up and that'll really help sales," well that fence wrap still hasn't been put up. If this company can't wrap a fence in ads, I highly doubt they can build a tower.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
They're dead. I called their sales office like 6 months ago and even went down to their sales office on East Van Buren, and their sales rep tried to make it sound like something was happening, but it all seemed like BS. She kept telling me how "oh in just a week we'll have a fence wrap up and that'll really help sales," well that fence wrap still hasn't been put up. If this company can't wrap a fence in ads, I highly doubt they can build a tower.
It was nice little story to increase the value of their land bank though...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 2:53 AM

It's a shame it never went further then a sign on the lot and permitting. They were actually pretty well into the permitting process, it looked like a "go"...then nothing.

ABND-030106 12/15/03 EXPR ALLEY ABANDONMENT

ADDR-050476 7/1/05 OPEN THE COSMOPOLITAN TOWERS

CCO-05040808 11/30/05 EXPR CONCRETE

CCPR-0504794 11/29/05 EXPR THE COSMOPOLITIAN TOWER

CDF-T410806 7/26/06 OPEN DRAINAGE FACILITY THE COSMOPOLITAN TOWER

CGD-T410805 7/26/06 OPEN GRADING THE COSMOPOLITAN TOWERS

CMC-05037814 11/9/05 9/22/06 DONE POTHOLING

CPA-05040798 11/30/05 EXPR PAVING

DSAP-05134 701 N 3RD ST 12/2/05 OPEN RETENTION REQUIREMENTS

FLSR-05008 10/11/05 OPEN THE COSMOPOLITIAN TOWER

LPRN-0504654 701 N 3RD ST 11/15/05 EXPR COMPLETE BUILDING

PAPP-0304044 701 N 3RD ST 12/11/03 EXPR THE COSMOPOLITIAN TOWER

PLAT-050135 701 N 3RD ST 6/30/05 EXPR COSMOPOLITIAN TOWER

PRLM-0502501 701 N 3RD ST 6/22/05 EXPR COSMOPOLITAN TOWER

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:44 PM

A new drawing of Alta Phoenix I ran across...

We've sort of overlooked this project but I think it will be one of the best things going in downtown. I think it will really have a neighborhood feel like the Portland street area west of Central Ave does, with ground floor retail and such.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 9:41 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Wow, great find. I like this project a lot, though I wish it were taller given the fairly southern location. I think it'll be a great addition to an area of dusty lots and nothingness. Now if only the Arizona Center could get wrapped in retail on the North and West sides, we'd be cooking with gas.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:07 PM

I wonder why we've never heard anything about Az center doing something like that. Maybe the owner will get the idea when ASU and Alta are up and running...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 10:34 PM

Hopefully when the market picks up and the ASU and Biomedical projects are further along they can still lure Trump to the AZ Center to build a 700' footer there. If not for the Camelback fiasco it might be under construction now but I still have hope.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 12:59 AM

I am happy to see the Alta rise even if it is slow. Here are a couple of pictures from today.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:57 AM

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 8:24 PM

Anyone know why builder/ developer chose to build apartments in solid concrete construction?
Makes me happy, but seems like a more expensive build for apartments of all things.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 8:35 PM

I'm guessing due to the height, I don't think they can build 8 story buildings out of wood, or can they?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest