HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 2:28 AM
them bones

Dig the photos of a city we don't ever see on here...

...still...that new tower (RSA Battle House, whatever that is) is downright dreadful. I don't mind how much taller it is, but the proportioning and some of the details appear completely whacked. Just my opinion. Maybe it's better in person.

Love the small scale 'Orleans-esque' stuff though. And this building is quite lovely. What's it called?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 3:02 AM

I lived in Mobile until 1995 and for seven years before that. Grad of University of South Alabama (Mobile) and worked Downtown for five years. Also lived across the bay in Daphne for a couple years prior.
I never was a huge fan of Mobile. I did, however, love areas of Mobile. Especially the Eastern Shore (suburbs of Mobile across Mobile Bay) and especially the Garden District and Loop area (both of Government). The town is sadly overlooked for its location IMO. Downtown actually looked better in the early 1990's (when renovations downtown had just begun) than it does today IMO. The downtown region just looks like it has lost some of its original revitalized (early 1990's) ambition and push. Many places have closed up again (by touring downtown on my last trip in the fall). It was sad to see that some of the revitalization that was so strong in the 90's went downhill and returned to shuttered buildings and dreams.

Yet, overall, Mobile seems to be holding its own somewhat.

The new RSA Tower looks completely out of place in this town. I'm sorry, but that is just my opinion. Two towers half of its size would look better IMO. ... and the fact that the RSA is now only 45-50 percent leased is mindboggling to me. Most 35 story buildings have to be well over 60-80 percent leased or committed to lease prior to being built. I predict that the RSA Tower will never be over 85 percent leased. That is a huge void and deficit in the office availability and leased space for downtown Mobile, especially since there are so many potentially cheaper spaces available downtown Mobile. Overall, I think the RSA is a pretty building, kind of conservative looking (which helps it in Mobile's skyline though), but overall pretty. What the heck is up with the crown though - will that be finished with glass or anything? Looks strange IMO. I am not a fan of these "crowned" buildings at all. Another question... anyone know if the old Adam's Mark Hotel (Riverfront Plaza) will be crowned still to match the RSA? I hope not. Too much IMO!

Quote:
Those pictures with the water, how far away from Downtown are you? That's kind on mind blowing how it looks like the city is sitting on the water. To be honest I didn't even know Mobile was near any body of water.
Only by one of the countries largest Bays - MOBILE BAY!

One of the largest shipping ports in the country spanning 20 miles across at the Gulf of Mexico and 8 miles across at Mobile to the Eastern Shore.
Mobile has Carnival Cruise Lines serving the port as well.

Check your geography out! The Gulf Beaches are just about a 30 minute drive from the downtown area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Bay

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 3:19 AM

Looks great, but as has been said, needs some infill to balance out the huge tower. Needs 2 or 3 more good sized towers to balance out skyline.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:26 PM

Hey matguy 7070 and to all who is reading!

Hey cuz, whats with all the negative talk about Mobile? I m glad people like u left the area. Hope more will follow. As the old saying geauxs" You cant say something nice don t say it at all." Don t put a bad rap about our city to others. it not only makes Mobile look bad , it makes yourself look bad also . Most people are thrilled about the future of Mobile. In case u didn t neaux I got one word 4 ya ....Google.com. As for as the RSA tower you take what u can get. On the horizon, plans are for two office towers(300plus) , Condo towers (25stories) and the crown on the Riverview Plaza that will add another 100ft. Thats not counting the proposed I-10 BRIDGE over the Mobile River. The bridge will rival the Golden Gate. The clearance for ships to go under will be over 200ft with the top of the spans over 500ft. And O'yeah thats not counting for the metro over 50,000 jobs in the next several years. To me I would say things are looking up for the city by the bay!

"Damn the torpedos, Mobile's full speed ahead !" (bayourat 15, 2007)

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 4:31 AM

^^^ Matt's comment about never caring for Mobile...well it irritated me too. Matt, I lived in St.Louis ('95-'96). Your Baldwin vs. Mobile attitude kinda reminded me of that St. Louis attitude of " where did you go to high school?" a very shallow attitude. Mobile is the engine that keeps Mobile Bay on the move! And oh... about your trip here in last Fall, Sorry you didn't notice all the construction workers and rehab projects along with new construction going on in Mobile. 32 condo and office space projects value at 1/2 a billion dollars in downtown Mobile along. Not to mention maybe up to a billion dollars in announced entertainment, sporting, and residential development near the University of Mobile. I understand that some think our new tower is too big for such a small city, but get over it, our civic and state leaders have big plans for this city located on the faboulous Gulf Coast. Links available on request...to back-up dollar figures.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 5:02 AM

BOY LOOKA HERE!

i really like that RMA tower, it would look nice here on public square

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 4:52 PM

Great pictures. The New Orleans-esque parts look very interesting.

Lots of trucks too.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 6:58 PM

Looks like an awesome city!

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 9:59 PM

There's no "hatin" in my post. Read it again.

I posted I liked quite a few areas on the area. Hey, I hail from the south and Mobile as well. It will always be home. I lived in the loop (which I mentioned I loved), I bought a home in The Garden District (which I mentioned I loved), I lived in Daphne for awhile (Which I mentioned I loved).

In reviewing my original post (from top to bottom) I said:

"I never was a huge fan of Mobile. I did, however, love areas of Mobile."

This is true. Not hating. I mentioned the areas I loved, yet I did reserve to mention the areas I didn't. There are areas of every city I don't like. It was mainly the government and "old south/old money" attitude in Mobile that I hated. AND, noone can dispute that.

"The town is sadly overlooked for its location IMO."

It is. That's not "hatin"

"Downtown actually looked better in the early 1990's '

In my personal opinion - it did look better then. I stated why I think so. I worked downtown the entire time I lived in Mobile and it was wonderful to see the inner core "coming to life" in the early 90's. Yes, I see there is a lot of construction downtown today, but I think a lot of old Mobile that was being revitalized in the early 90's is once again shuttered.

"Yet, overall, Mobile seems to be holding its own somewhat."

That's not "hatin". I wouldn't say Mobile is "booming", but it isn't in decline either. There are many good "proposals" for Mobile. I saw many good "proposals" for Mobile in the late 80's and 90's too, but a "proposal" and "projection" is just that until it is reality.

"The new RSA Tower looks completely out of place in this town. I'm sorry, but that is just my opinion. Two towers half of its size would look better IMO"

As posted, that's my opnion... but I did go on and say twice in the same paragraph...

" Overall, I think the RSA is a pretty building, kind of conservative looking (which helps it in Mobile's skyline though), but overall pretty."

I think a very modern modern building would have even looked more out of place on the skyline. ..and I still remain strong in my feelings that Riverfront Plaza needs to be left alone. I am not crazy for making everything look exactly the same. There is nothing wrong with Riverfront Plaza.

In addition,

I went on to tout Mobile Bay as "Only by one of the countries largest Bays - MOBILE BAY!" and that Carnial Cruise Lines services the Port of Mobile.

Should I mention that I love the Convention Center when it was built and to today. I love Fort Conde, and I loved the City Hall / Government Center when it was built (which had much controversy when it was planned).

There is a HUGE differnece between "hatin" and constructive critism and/or opinions. You can't look through rose colored glasses and put blinders on. "Hatin" would be someones post simply stating ignorant facts or comments like "Mobile Sucks", "Mobile is disgusting" or "I hate the RSA Tower - it was stupid to build"... That's "Hatin"

There is no "hatin" in my post at all... simply construcutive opinions which I explained my reasoning for. Posters above my post stated their opinions (likes/dislikes) about the RSA Tower as well - see below.

Quote:
xzmattzx posted:
"That tall building is nice, but it really sticks out."

djvandrake posted:
"That new skyscraper is quite a looker, but it looks out of place in the sparse skyline."

DetroitSky posted:
"Strange looking skyline, but still nice.'

uncompahre posted:
"Thats such a sleek new tower and I love the way it fits in with the skyline (or doesn't..)"

urban surfin posted:
"But the skyline shots seem off-balance because that hulking new skyscraper looks completely out of place."

plinko posted:
"...still...that new tower (RSA Battle House, whatever that is) is downright dreadful. I don't mind how much taller it is, but the proportioning and some of the details appear completely whacked. Just my opinion."
Mystic Wrote:

Quote:
Your Baldwin vs. Mobile attitude
You must be reading someone else's post. NOWHERE in my original post is a Balwin vs. Mobile reference. NOWHERE. Did you read my post?
Peace.

Last edited by matguy7070; May 5, 2007 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 3:28 PM

Thanks for all of the compliments. I think the RSA gave a much needed ego boost to the city and people of Mobile. Here are a couple of pictures from the car on the drive back home.

I wish I could of gotten Louisville but we all know how night shots from the car turn out.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 6:47 AM

sfmob...great shots of Montgomery and Birmingham above...btw, should have stated earlier how much I enjoyed your pixs of Mobile, the river, and the bay.

matguy7070...I read your post several times before deciding to reply myself toward its, actually bayourat's post was my deciding factor. I concluded that you were saying Mobile "sucks", but its suburbs along the Eastern Shore were "especially nice." That was wrong of me. Matguy7070...promote Mobile!...give it your best spin when asked "what is Mobile like?" talk about our great beaches (Gulf Shores/Orange Beach), an amazing untouched river delta (alligators, pelicans, waterlilies, and kayaks), awesome historic disticts (Oakliegh/Dauphin/Church), beautiful gardens (Bellingrath/downtown Fairhope), fishing?, HELL... YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A POLE, tell'em that in Daphne, if the moon and tide is right... shrimp, grab, and flounder will come ashore to you!..............or you can choose to paint this picture, "Mobile city schools suck."

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 7:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Those pictures with the water, how far away from Downtown are you? That's kind on mind blowing how it looks like the city is sitting on the water. To be honest I didn't even know Mobile was near any body of water.
Geez, man. Heard of the Battle of Mobile Bay? Hurricane Ivan maybe? Take a ride on I-10 and you'll go under Mobile Bay well within site of the city.

Coastal Alabama and Mississippi used to be so special--BK (Before Katrina) that is. The Alabama part still is. But my beloved Bay St. Louis? Ah, well.

Last edited by BTinSF; May 7, 2007 at 7:16 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 7:26 PM
God help us

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncompahgre View Post
What is the newer-looking building to the left of the first pano?
I think you're talking about Government Plaza, the one with the 2 sails on the top. It's faily new, and was the topic of some heated debate. But I like it!

"You cannot help men by doing for them when they could and should, do for themselves" - Abraham Lincoln

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 7:31 PM
God help us

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownsFinest216 View Post
BOY LOOKA HERE!

i really like that RMA tower, it would look nice here on public square
Yeah, it's even nicer than RSA!

"You cannot help men by doing for them when they could and should, do for themselves" - Abraham Lincoln

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 1:12 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

It is nice to see a lot of photos of a city we don't get to see often.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:00 AM
Closed account

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvandrake View Post

Southern hospitality? Geez!

That new skyscraper is quite a looker, but it looks out of place in the sparse skyline.
Some people don't like having strangers take their pic, and I think the RSA fitted in a little better than expected.

Anyways, words cannot describe how great this thread is.

Matguy, then stay in St. Louis if you don't like the traditional southern culture "The Southern Man don't need him around anyhow"

Last edited by Exodus; May 9, 2007 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:03 PM

Exodus wrote:

Quote:
Matguy, then stay in St. Louis if you don't like the traditional southern culture "The Southern Man don't need him around anyhow"
Now that's "hatin" ...

see the difference?

=======================
also...

Thanks Mystic for your comments. I'll be in Mobile end of May - want to meet up and take a stroll through the city? Email me! Peace.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:16 PM
Closed account

You said you don't like the southern traditions in Mobile, so I just said stay where your at if if bothers you that much, we don't need haters. You have a right to your attitude, and others have an equal right to have a counter attitude, don't be a hypocrite, that is an elitist attitude. So I didn't display hate, just the dislike of it along with the suggestion to keep it where your at and don't come in here instigating. You said what you said, and others got to say what they did, so it's even. End of subject and back to the thread.

I'm going to shut up about it, I suggest you do the same, unless you want to get the thread locked down. It's a shame that a simple pics thread turns to this. If you hate Mobile, then don't come into one of its threads.

Last edited by Exodus; May 9, 2007 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:28 PM

Great set of photos. You know how to work that camera.

This one was my favorite:

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:29 PM

It's amazing how much more exciting one building can make a city in photographs. Great shots. Always loved Mobile... but I love it so much more now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos