HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:15 PM
Saskatoon

I took a bus downtown from a Rush game last year. (we carpooled there and got dropped off at the Tim's to avoid the crush.) It was pretty quick leaving the rink and only jammed up because of all the other people who were trying to get downtown in their single occupancy vehicles. The buses were full, and we could have a beer or two at the game knowing we didn't have to drive. I also take buses from the Ex when we decide to go.

I drive a lot but it's only because of the infrastructure - I can't afford to live on a good bus route for me or near my work (I work in the north industrial). With the slow down in the economy I can drive to work across the circle north bridge in less than 15 minutes now, compared to 25 in 2012-14. Still an hour on the bus, though. I'm mid 30s and there are lots of people in my cohort who would change their habits if there was better infrastructure to support it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
I took a bus downtown from a Rush game last year. (we carpooled there and got dropped off at the Tim's to avoid the crush.) It was pretty quick leaving the rink and only jammed up because of all the other people who were trying to get downtown in their single occupancy vehicles. The buses were full, and we could have a beer or two at the game knowing we didn't have to drive. I also take buses from the Ex when we decide to go.

I drive a lot but it's only because of the infrastructure - I can't afford to live on a good bus route for me or near my work (I work in the north industrial). With the slow down in the economy I can drive to work across the circle north bridge in less than 15 minutes now, compared to 25 in 2012-14. Still an hour on the bus, though. I'm mid 30s and there are lots of people in my cohort who would change their habits if there was better infrastructure to support it.

the 2 times i took the bus to north end canarama- eastview....took 50 minutes. which took way too long for a usual 15 minute drive. I can ride my bike using our trail system and get that distance in the same amount of time without the waiting period. ill take the bike ride anyway, its more fun anyways.

so for me, the issue is standing there and waiting. i think thats the same for everyone else too? will the BRT change that mindset much ? i know not for me.....

I was talking to my sisters bf over easter, we both came to a conclusion that if we were to make a switch in transit areas, and get people onto something different, something would have to stop us dead in our tracks in to make a good portion of us use an alternative transit solution.

speaking of biking, if people actually knew how easy and quick it was to bike around, i think they would use that option as well. we have an excellent trail system thats fun to ride too!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:13 PM

I don't believe anyone was saying that the RUSH were 'anchor tenants' that justify a new arena downtown. They were simply used as one example of a stable draw of 15,000 over 10 games (150,000 people) plus playoffs, that could be injecting even more life into Saskatoon's downtown core if an arena existed there. Sasktel Centre ranks right up there as one of the busiest arena's in North America in terms of days booked per year for events. And certainly, continues to be THE facility in Saskatchewan for touring music acts (except for the large outdoor touring acts which will go to Mosaic).

It is just frustrating for those of us who go to RUSH games and major concerts here in Saskatoon at the inadequacy of the facility to handle large crowds and the total lack of additional entertainment options (i.e. restaurants, pubs, bars) in the vicinity.

It is not too early to talk of a new facility, given it will likely take 10 years. My god....look how long it is taking to get the 3,000 seat Uni arena built!!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I don't believe anyone was saying that the RUSH were 'anchor tenants' that justify a new arena downtown. They were simply used as one example of a stable draw of 15,000 over 10 games (150,000 people) plus playoffs, that could be injecting even more life into Saskatoon's downtown core if an arena existed there. Sasktel Centre ranks right up there as one of the busiest arena's in North America in terms of days booked per year for events. And certainly, continues to be THE facility in Saskatchewan for touring music acts (except for the large outdoor touring acts which will go to Mosaic).

It is just frustrating for those of us who go to RUSH games and major concerts here in Saskatoon at the inadequacy of the facility to handle large crowds and the total lack of additional entertainment options (i.e. restaurants, pubs, bars) in the vicinity.

It is not too early to talk of a new facility, given it will likely take 10 years. My god....look how long it is taking to get the 3,000 seat Uni arena built!!
I agree with everything you've said here

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:37 PM

Aren't the Broncos the biggest money losers in the CHL?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 10:21 PM
Registered Geek

I heard an interesting rumour that the two new build Brown's Social Houses have pulled out both building supplies and new equipment from these two locations and a notice offering a sub-lease posted. Anyone got anything on that situation?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I heard an interesting rumour that the two new build Brown's Social Houses have pulled out both building supplies and new equipment from these two locations and a notice offering a sub-lease posted. Anyone got anything on that situation?
The current brown's up and running in the city or the one's that are about to open?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
I'm out in Kensington and the Browns location was done building and ready to move into early this winter. There has been zero activity at that location. No insight into Browns itself but I'm doubting we'll see them open, got too big too fast I think.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:47 PM

Aren't they franchises, maybe its just a local thing because of the economy, is this happening in other cities.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Aren't they franchises, maybe its just a local thing because of the economy, is this happening in other cities.
Winnipegs has a few under construction/or already opened up. they are franchises, i think i read in that thread that there is 1 owner for 3 of them? 2 for sure...

i didnt know kensington was getting a browns, i was under the impression that Lawson mall/rosewood by RBC were the next locations. or are there 3 additional ones now ?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Winnipegs has a few under construction/or already opened up. they are franchises, i think i read in that thread that there is 1 owner for 3 of them? 2 for sure...

i didnt know kensington was getting a browns, i was under the impression that Lawson mall/rosewood by RBC were the next locations. or are there 3 additional ones now ?
There's a sign saying Conexus and Browns. The Conexus has been open for a while. The Browns building is right beside Conexus and is fully constructed just no furnishings or finishes inside. You'd assume if they were opening they'd have gotten it done over the winter so they could open for spring/summer. I'd love to be wrong as I was looking forward to the Browns walking distance to my place but not looking likely.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:30 PM

CanniMed plans $10.5 million expansion at Saskatoon plant

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
April 19, 2017

Canada’s first licensed medical marijuana producer is planning a $10.5 million expansion at its facility southeast of Saskatoon, which it says could allow for the production of up to 720,000 litres of cannabinoid oil each year.

That’s the equivalent of 12 million 60-millilitre bottles of oil, CanniMed Therapeutics Inc. said in a news release announcing the facility, which is expected to take about 20 months to build and create 25 new full-time jobs.

“The expansion of our oils processing capacity will ensure ample supply of cannabinoid-based raw materials for future product development and innovation,” CanniMed president and CEO Brent Zettl said in a statement.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...askatoon-plant

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:37 PM

Yellow Quill expands urban reserve, waits on office building

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: April 20, 2017 | Last Updated: April 20, 2017 6:00 AM CST

Quote:
Nearly five years ago, the Yellow Quill First Nation announced plans to build a five-storey office tower to replace a parking lot on a prime downtown Saskatoon location.

The project at the northeast corner of Fourth Avenue and 20th Street remains alive, but will require an anchor tenant to move forward, according to Ron Waddington, managing trustee of Yellow Quill Land Entitlement Trust (LET) and director of Yellow Quill Holdings.

The First Nation released plans for the building during the economic boom in late 2012, when the downtown office vacancy rate was a minuscule 1.84 per cent. The 75,000-square-foot building was supposed to be completed by the end of 2015, but the property remains a parking lot.

“Building on spec is completely out of the question,” Waddington said Wednesday.

The downtown office vacancy rate was estimated at 16.5 per cent at the end of 2016, making downtown office development a tougher economic choice.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ffice-building

^ Unsurprising news here that the Yellow Quill office building won't go be going ahead without a lead tenant secured. At least it hasn't been scrapped altogether, the building would be a lovely addition to downtown on a long-existing parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 3:30 AM

That's such a cool skyline especially for a smaller city. I've never been Saskatoon. It would be fun to take a trip sometime.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 4:43 PM

City buses do run to the Rush games and, judging by the mass of people on them leaving last week'd game, they are certainly getting used. They use dedicated lanes once near Sasktel Centre, which is where most of the wait is experienced getting in and out of the games. So the service is there, though I can't comment on whether or not there would be more buses used if offered or even if they are full to capacity on the way into the games. I'll watch them carefully at tonight's game while walking to the arena from where I parked my car.

That being said, I do agree with Mitchelk12's post. We're still a driving society here. Since getting my drivers license over 35 years ago, I've taken a regularly scheduled City bus exactly one time, and that was to go pick up my car from the repair shop 30 years ago. I'll take them for special events, but not as a regular way of getting from point A to point B. I enjoy the flexibility to go where I want when I want, plus I really enjoy driving. There are also work and home locations that make the bus impractical for me, but even without those, I'd likely be driving.

It's changing, but slowly and will take time and changing attitudes. Younger people are generally more socially responsible, but until traffic makes mass transit more convenient than driving (like the Skytrain from Vancouver airport to downtown), I believe private vehicles will still be the first choice for most Saskatoonians.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 10:53 PM

STC is probably looking to sell some buses..
maybe if SaskTel Centre/Rush bought some of these buses at a good deal and used them as Rider buses in off season or for service for concerts maybe that would help.
The thing is if these same buses are caught in traffic along side cars in the same gridlock at SaskTel Centre, what's the benefit to people that are making the extra effort to take transit.
Same with regular city transit in Saskatoon, for someone to take daily transit to & from work in Northend Industrial where Saskatoon transit is less than convenient to say the least (hour & a half each-way to commute). Who is this really benefitting? just helps regular commuters in cars to get to work quicker.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 11:06 PM

Looks like there is a new art display (possibly a promotion) going up downtown on the grass just in front of the Broadway Bridge. Bunch of crates with signs on them that advertise the Bess and new developments.

Probably temporary, but nice to see something new downtown.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:37 PM
Registered Geek

Anyone know what is going on the pad across from the Tim Horton's at Lawson Heights Mall?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Anyone know what is going on the pad across from the Tim Horton's at Lawson Heights Mall?
Brown's Social House I believe

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Brown's Social House I believe
isnt that on the corner of warman rd/primrose, at the far end of the lot on the old target side. thought that "almost finished" building was the Browns? or is that something else.

im curious also on what that new fenced off lot is by tims.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan