HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
32 would be perfect
Yes, yes it would. I am hoping to see something break the 30 story barrier and start to define the Byward Market skyline at some point in the near future. Anything to break up Claridge's attempt to wall in the Market with cheap looking 23-28 story buildings.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 10:53 PM

36-38 would make a great signature tower for the area.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:54 PM

Reposting here as the Waller Mall redevelopment will be part of the AC Marriott proposal.

This is great news. It's nice to see a private developer step-up yo improve a small corner of the city. This area should be greatly improved with the new hotel and revitalized Waller Mall. Have a terrace for the hotel's restaurant on the Mall and it will do it's part in extending official downtown towards the east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Waller Mall is to be redeveloped along with adjacent hotel development:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ened-1.5213328
Quote:
Sealed ByWard Market walkway could soon reopen

Developer to take on security, other improvements to Waller Mall in deal with city

Giacomo Panico · CBC News · Posted: Jul 16, 2019 3:23 PM ET | Last Updated: July 16

Off limits to the public for more than two years, a walkway in the ByWard Market could soon be reopened as part of a proposed tower project.

Since February 2017, the 80-metre-long Waller Mall, which connects Rideau and George streets between Dalhousie and Cumberland streets, has been barricaded, mostly over concerns about security, loitering and drug use.

But the city councillor for the area, Mathieu Fleury, said a developer's plan to build a parking garage under a section of the walkway provides an opportunity to right a wrong.

"The city is looking at that developer to redesign the Waller Mall completely," Fleury said. "It kind of resets the access there. It's been problematic, there have been too many incidents."

In order for the developer to build beneath the public passageway, it must first attain permission from the city. Fleury said the city is more than happy to consider that in exchange for certain improvements including better lighting and other amenities, as well as security and winter maintenance.

"We're leveraging the opportunity," Fleury said.

Safety concerns

The underground parking garage is part of condo and hotel tower proposal for the former Beer Store site near Rideau and Cumberland streets, just to the south side of the Waller Mall.

To the north sits the St. George condo tower, which in the 1980s became responsible for closing the walkway gates every evening in return for the city installing fencing.

Bill Campbell, a St. George resident for 12 years, said it became increasingly difficult to maintain the walkway.

"It was a very convenient way to get from George Street to Rideau, but there was an awful lot of drug dealing and loitering and just not pleasant surroundings," Campbell said.

Campbell said the decision was made to keep the gates locked in the winter of 2017, when heavy snow rendered the passageway all but inaccessible.

"When the better weather came, people liked it being closed because it got rid of this collection of people dealing drugs, so it stayed closed," Campbell said.

Marie Devlin works near the Waller Mall, but said she was never tempted to use the shortcut.

"I don't think that I personally would use it. There's often quite a bit of loitering around here," she said.

Neha Majithi welcomed news that the passageway might soon be reopened.

"I would be so convenient if it was open," said Majithi. "If you clean up the area maybe there won't be any loitering."

Privatization fears unfounded, Fleury says

The notice announcing the proposal has caused an uproar on social media, however, where some feared the city was privatizing a public passageway.

Fleury said he's spoken with city staff, and there's no plan to privatize the walkway — but he understands how the notice could be misinterpreted.

"I'm uncomfortable with how the city is describing it, because it really speaks to the closure of a lane," Fleury said. "It's a city right-of-way and we're protecting that. There's no question about that. The service remains public."

While the enhancements to the walkway would be done by the developer, Fleury said the city will have the final say on the design. Work is scheduled to begin as early as this fall, he said.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 8:57 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't care for this proposal? It looks like it's about 6 inches from that other condo tower and it even wraps around to block it on two sides.

I normally love to see more intensification but a little bit of tower separation would be nice, particularly in light of what's being built next to Claridge Plaza III and IV just around the corner.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't care for this proposal? It looks like it's about 6 inches from that other condo tower and it even wraps around to block it on two sides.

I normally love to see more intensification but a little bit of tower separation would be nice, particularly in light of what's being built next to Claridge Plaza III and IV just around the corner.
I think most of us wish it were skinnier and taller.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe not taller, but skinnier and with a much better design. This proposal is quite boring. It's a highrise hotel in the Byward Market on Rideau Street and on the same block as an LRT station. Please come back with a much better design!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 11:39 PM
National Capital Region

there is a June 2019 updated design posted on Devapps
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__AB07CH

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
That's pretty much sums it up for me. With the height restrictions, we're not going to get taller and slimmer, so no point in getting hung up on that.

I think the design is pretty decent compared to the crap re-hashed by Roderick Lahey every other block or the Claridge monstrosities across the street. The changes, however small, on the June design are good. I like the "crown" they added to the top floor. I'm happy with this.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 1:42 AM

Re: the Waller Mall, it might help if it actually led anywhere interesting.

As it stands the east leg of the Rideau/Waller intersection doesn't even have a crosswalk, which will be annoying for hotel guests wanting to dash across to Starbucks.

Waller St. is not exactly a welcoming pedestrian environment. This completely unnecessary highway style sign doesn't help:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4261...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
there is a June 2019 updated design posted on Devapps
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__AB07CH
It's an improvement, but still blah. When considering the way materials actually look versus how they seem in the SketchUp "renderings" (for a top architecture firm they could have provide more realistic renderings, at least), I still think it won't look very good. A lot more could have been done for the design, and 24 floors is a good amount of space to work with. It's like a block-y addition that will be added to the area with Claridge Plaza 1-4.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 1:31 PM

The future buildings diagram really lets you appreciate what Rideau will look like when the wall is complete.

The design is fine. From a functional standpoint, I think the fact that this is on Rideau slightly east will have a big impact on the neighbourhood. With the gallery and the Germain just south, along with the 3 previously existing hotels, the area is transforming, and this will provide a second link to the eastern side of the Market. They really do need to add a crosswalk as mentioned.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 1:51 PM

On paper, the addition of a crosswalk is a good idea. I believe however, that the City decided against it for safety reasons. Thousands of massive 18 wheelers turn from Waller and Rideau and vis-versa every day. and they take some WIDE turns around this narrow intersection. Check out the 2009 Google Streetview.

That's why a new interprovincial bridge (or tunnel if that's the route they want to go) is an absolute necessity.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
... it's about 6 inches from that other condo tower and it even wraps around to block it on two sides.
It is indeed awfully close to the St. George condo. It already has one side just a few meters away from an office building on the east side. Now it will be partially blocked on the south as well. Ugh.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
On paper, the addition of a crosswalk is a good idea. I believe however, that the City decided against it for safety reasons. Thousands of massive 18 wheelers turn from Waller and Rideau and vis-versa every day. and they take some WIDE turns around this narrow intersection. Check out the 2009 Google Streetview.

That's why a new interprovincial bridge (or tunnel if that's the route they want to go) is an absolute necessity.
I thought about that, but this is the heart of downtown where pedestrian connectivity should be priority number one. I think a crosswalk with a pedestrian-only cycle would be the way to go there.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I thought about that, but this is the heart of downtown where pedestrian connectivity should be priority number one. I think a crosswalk with a pedestrian-only cycle would be the way to go there.
Agreed. Plus they added these bollards to stop trucks from encroaching onto the sidewalk at the SW corner:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4275...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
That could be a solution. And enforce it; if a pedestrian were to cross when they don't have the priority, fine them. Honestly, I think we should have pedestrian (and cyclists where applicable) only cycles everywhere downtown. It would be safer and traffic would flow better.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 7:43 PM

Demolition started today.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 8:57 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 11:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated renderings from our favourite architect:

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:52 AM

Extremely lazy architecture from RLA as always. The Great Wall continues!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa