HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I trust you're being satirical, because that's the only, and I mean ONLY, way that your sentence makes any empirical sense.
Examine the Plans for Water Street and you'll see he's not joking.

In this element I'm very interested in the road network and streetcar. Guess we'll see and hope some of our projects in the area have some new transit options as more buildings come online.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
The only place that needs to have cars banned is Gastown on Water Street. Gastown wasn't designed for cars, and there's literally no need for traffic there, use Hastings. Also, maybe close off Granville at night at the theatre/"""clubbing""" district.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Examine the Plans for Water Street and you'll see he's not joking.

In this element I'm very interested in the road network and streetcar. Guess we'll see and hope some of our projects in the area have some new transit options as more buildings come online.
What if you buy a nice piece of furniture from a store there (like Parliament), and needs to drive over to pick it up? Or your old and feeble granny needs to be dropped off in front of Old Speghetti Factory to have a gathering with her Old Dame bookreading club group? What then?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:03 PM

That is currently a part of the conversation. An extreme to that conversation would be limited drop off zones on Water St, or simply Carrall (max distance to walk could be 1 block, or alley access to be dropped off. And furniture would be picked up at certain hours, like delivery trucks would on many commercial streets in the world.
Get involved: http://vancouver.ca/streets-transpor...e-streets.aspx

As per this plan... I'm most curious to see what their scope is for transportation. The integration and future planning.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:10 PM
See ya down under, mates

Gastown in its current form was built in the 1970s, cobblestone streets, steam clock and all. It's a fake tourist trap, and a vital route to downtown for those of us east/northeast of downtown.

Forcing everyone who takes Powell to go to Hastings would make Hastings even more of a shitshow, as was shown when the rail overpass was built in 2012 or so.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Gastown in its current form was built in the 1970s, cobblestone streets, steam clock and all. It's a fake tourist trap, and a vital route to downtown for those of us east/northeast of downtown.

Forcing everyone who takes Powell to go to Hastings would make Hastings even more of a shitshow, as was shown when the rail overpass was built in 2012 or so.
Exactly. Im frequently awestruck at the number of people that honestly believe their ideological plaque is a panacea for the city's arteries.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I trust you're being satirical, because that's the only, and I mean ONLY, way that your sentence makes any empirical sense.

I don't get why you think this is such an absurd idea. Closing off Water Street is a great idea. Imagine what a great plaza this square would make. If you are complaining about "muh traffic" you should know that Water Street isn't really a high volume street to begin with, but it makes Gastown less enjoyable.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:27 AM

Quote:
I don't get why you think this is such an absurd idea. Closing off Water Street is a great idea. Imagine what a great plaza this square would make. If you are complaining about "muh traffic" you should know that Water Street isn't really a high volume street to begin with, but it makes Gastown less enjoyable.
Or, as 800 Robson shows us, what a great sleazy pot market it'd make.

The only reason I'd support the closure is to make the streetcar run smoother. "Beautifying" Gastown could be done simply by showing dogwalkers how to use litter bags.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:30 PM

Anyone go to the Open House? It was booked and I wasn't able to attend. Any word on how locals responded?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:35 AM

False Creek Workshop #4 - Housing

^In case anyone didn't believe me about the 6th avenue poetry, or that people are starting to come around to increasing density

Already we're now on Workshop 4 of 6, with the last two fully booked. Starting at 9:30 am on a Saturday morning, it shouldn't be surprising that the crowd was slightly and older, and slightly more from the neighbourhood, with a ratio of 70% in to 30% out. That said, it seems there has been a real shift over the course of the workshops, as a large number of attendees actually supported adding density to at least the edges of the neighbourhood. There were even requests to sprinkle job space in the area, especially at the Olympic Village parking lot. Ride sharing and an elimination of parking minimums was also embraced.

The meeting itself felt really long. In contrast to the past workshops that felt more interactive, this featured 1.5 hours of speakers, including a combination of staff and resident representatives of each housing typology in the neighbourhood. I've listed some of those stats below:

5 co ops for 614 units

4 social at 319

2 community care at 140

13 leasehold at 668

There were two things that stuck with me after the meeting. The first was a silly interruption from a rather irritated individual who's rant is roughly quoted as, why are we letting developers be the ones to develop the land? Allowing them to be the one's to do that instead of the city, is what is making things more expensive.

The other was a factoid; the length of time on the wait-list for a spot in the Marine Co-op is now at 12 years. Clearly, it would seem that on-board living has quite a passionate following in Vancouver. I have fallen a little behind in my recaps, and will post one for the transportation workshop soon. The next meeting is set for Feb 3rd, and is fully booked. However, for those who would want to participate, there are always a few no shows so, feel free to show up. I should note that it will be one of the most important workshops as it will deal primarily with future density, forms, typology, height, and formats of what belong in the neighbourhood.

Character and urban design
Date: Saturday, February 3, 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Location: False Creek Community Centre, 1318 Cartwright Street
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/false-cr...ts-41022313845

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post

^In case anyone didn't believe me about the 6th avenue poetry, or that people are starting to come around to increasing density
It's this kind of insanity that has me very worried about the next civic election.

Vision was already wildly left-wing, and yet has been pilloried for its close ties to developers. So.... If/when Vision is punted, what's to replace it? Something aligned with the likes of people that have time enough on their hands to freeform rap frosted with hard left-wing vapidity?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 8:08 PM
See ya down under, mates

You don't have to be right wing to know whoever wrote that is a naive dumbass.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 8:26 PM

Why 6th Avenue? It's not even a nice street. Know I do get what this person means in their poem. Pedestrian-only streets are a good idea, and Vancouver needs something like this. European cities have them everywhere and they are great for putting bars and restaurants, however, the buildings surrounding 6th avenue are not appropriate for that. A better place would be on something like 5th Avenue between Cambie and Main, where when new buildings are put up can have commercial lining the streets and there can be a little restaurant district or something.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
You don't have to be right wing to know whoever wrote that is a naive dumbass.
And yet reports would have me thinking they're the loudest, most strident voice in the room. Let's see how well that plays in the election. Are these people just a small cabal of wanks, or are they reflective of a growing undercurrent of urban thought? They certainly aren't far off from most far left-wing approaches to urban planning and social structure.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Why 6th Avenue? It's not even a nice street. Know I do get what this person means in their poem. Pedestrian-only streets are a good idea, and Vancouver needs something like this. European cities have them everywhere and they are great for putting bars and restaurants, however, the buildings surrounding 6th avenue are not appropriate for that. A better place would be on something like 5th Avenue between Cambie and Main, where when new buildings are put up can have commercial lining the streets and there can be a little restaurant district or something.
Let's also remember that you need good transit nearby to make up for the loss in mobility. For example, putting a SkyTrain line under Robson and closing it off to traffic would be wonderful in the far future.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 6:10 AM

False Creek South Workshop #5 - Transportation

Here's my recap of the Transportation Workshop, just one more to go after this! However, there will be open houses to cover the results of the workshops, as well as a design charette at a later date.

Due to personal reasons, I wasn't quite my sharpest at this workshop, so most of the experience information will be provided by my partner.
Much like the previous workshop held at Creekside, the turnout was more diverse with only 60% of attendees coming from within the neighbourhood, and a younger mix as well. By now, I've started recognizing a good handful of faces, though there were a few fresh ones as well. This time there was a different keynote speaker from the neighbourhood, who concluded her speech by asking for a reinstatement of community shuttles that would take residents from the neighbourhood to attractions Downtown.

Considering the neighbourhood seems to pride itself on being anti-car, I found the comparable statistics for trip type quite shocking:
FCS |Core| City
19 | 30 |9 Walk
7 | 8 | 6 cycle to work
27 | 26 | 30 transit
46 | 35 | 49 car

As you can see, most stats from FCS match the Metro Core, however those who walk to work are noticeably lower, as is the percentage of those who drive. That said, there were still cries to ban cars from 6th Ave. I should stress, these call from a vocal minority. One last tidbit, the street car is still on the City's agenda, and to that end, a new streetcar consultant has been recently procured. It was also stressed that the City was open to forming partnerships with Granville Island, and other interest groups, in order to fund/better plan the street car project,

Phase one of the workshop had groups map out their individual commutes/methods of transport around and through the FCS. In phase two, groups were asked to highlight what areas they felt hindered or helped their travel experience.

After a dinner break (more sushi and pizza ), the tables were divided into themes as shown in some of the later photos.
Each table was then asked to present ideas for the future of the area that would reflect their table's identity. The final phase was to fantasize about what transportion in the neighbourhood could look like in 40 years. There were certainly some wild ideas; a gondola linking Broadway to FCS to Yaletown; A tunnel connecting FCS to the Oak and Broadway M line station, and; converting 6th Ave into a tunnel. One of the most reasonable in terms of cost, was a suggestion to set up a kayak sharing service (like Car 2 Go). One that I felt was particularly silly was for golf carts to be provided for seniors on the seawall, provided they were confined to the bike lanes.

Overall, I feel staff now have a good grasp on how to host these events; The neighbourhood has opened up more to densifying the outer edge, and seems to realize the neighbouring communities really care how the process turns out. In the last section of this workshop, the fantasy phase seemed to go a little off the rails, but I think that's the nature of asking people to be silly. I know some members said they also planned to attend, and I'm curious what their experience was. As I mentioned in my last recap, the final workshop is going to set the tone for the community plan in a lot of ways (ie density, heights, etc). Even though all seats are booked, I highly suggest coming down to the event, as there are usually a few seats open due to no shows, and dinner will once again be provided.

Character and urban design
Date: Saturday, February 3, 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Location: False Creek Community Centre, 1318 Cartwright Street

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:14 AM

Workshop 6: Character and Urban Design - All good things must...

Random Table Sample 1

Random Table Sample 2

Here is my experience from the final workshop. It has been a long road, but it finally led to the False Creek Community Centre. Once again, most were residents of the neighbourhood (65%-35%). However, I would say that the crowd contained more young people than usual. Seniors still made up the overwhelming number, but not by as high of a margin. Regardless the opinion seemed to reflect one more open to density, road network changes, and other departures from the neighbourhood of today. I feel that even some of the hardened voices against change have realised that this is not the best result for the community.

The afternoon started off with a short speech from Gill Kelly that really just paid homage to the community, it's residents, and this whole process. This was followed by a lengthy but informative presentation from one of the lead designers of the community, Paul Merrick. There was too much to cover from the information he presented, but I will post photos of some of the slides in the Vancouver History section. I cannot believe that Yaletown was almost cut off by a canal and turned into parkland. After this, the groups were asked to discuss the neighbourhood as a whole; What we felt was working, what wasn't, and what aspirations we may have. Generally, I would say most tables acknowledged a need for more density, for retail within the neighbourhood, and that the neighbourhood really was too isolated today.

Following more free sushi and pizza, we were presented with the draft principles of the neighbourhood. I may not agree with every aspect, but they generally reflect what I've heard and experienced at the workshops, so I'm happy with the results. At this point, the city asked people to shuffle tables. My new group was scared of more density, labelling tall buildings the biggest threat to the future of the neighbourhood. We were asked to discus the new Draft Principles, whether they reflected our views, and what we would want tweaked. After some discussion with my table, we agreed that the principles reflected our group's view. While my table still had one or two individuals fearful of change at the end of the night, most people not only welcomed the principles, but wished for them to go further. I'm not sure if it was that I convinced anyone of my point, as the principles are well written, the sushi was good, and staff did a great job of explaining the process. What was clear is that by the time we all left, only a small vocal minority were still toxic to the process.

I have personally learned a lot about this area over the last two months. I think even the residents who have called the neighbourhood home for years have learned a lot too. I've enjoyed learning from people I've made contact with, and I think I may have imparted some good information as well. As the process moved on, people grew, pushed their boundaries, and have come to embrace some serious changes near to their homes. City staff learned fast, and presented a well thought out process that adapted to challenges, and made sure people were heard. The City has yet to post their minutes of these meetings, but keep in mind they have to write a more professional report. The process is far from over, with more open houses, design charettes, and an area community panel to be formed, but I'm hopeful that this neighbourhood is heading in the right direction. I really encourage everyone to get involved in this area plan, the upcoming station plans for 29th and Nanimo, as well as the Broadway Corridor plan. I've learned that by participating you can greatly influence our city, and whats more, you'll get plenty of free food too. 😉

The FCS Draft Principles

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:41 AM

Regarding the excess CPR lands, though:
I just got an email about them from the COV.
Quote:
Hello,

You are receiving this email because you previously signed up to receive updates on the False Creek South planning program.

On behalf of the Arbutus Greenway planning process, this notice contains information about an upcoming open house event on a proposed change to the False Creek Official Development Plan (ODP). The proposal is to create a new Area within the ODP that would allow for future development of a 6-storey rental residential building with local-serving commercial-retail on the ground floor at the subject location.

Background and Context – CPR Option Lands

In 2016, the City purchased the Arbutus rail corridor from Canadian Pacific Railway (“CPR”) for the purpose of creating the Arbutus Greenway. The purchase included seven parcels, located between West 1st Avenue and West 5th Avenue (referred to as the “Option Lands”) that are not required for the greenway. The purchase agreement contractually obligates the City to complete planning work to allow development on the Option Lands.

In September 2018, Council approved an amendment to the Arbutus Corridor Official Development Plan (ODP) to remove lands not required for greenway purposes. Prior to this ODP amendment, the Option Lands could only be used for the purpose of transportation or greenways. This amendment reverted the Option Lands sites between West 2nd Avenue and West 5th Avenue back to their original zoning (C-2B & IC-1).

In order to conclude planning work for the Option Lands, further planning is needed for the triangle shaped site at West 2nd and Fir St. This site is currently included within the False Creek ODP area but is identified for transportation use only. The ODP has no direction for redevelopment of the site.

The City is proposing to amend the False Creek ODP to change the permitted use of the site from transportation to rental housing, allowing for a 6-storey rental residential building with local-serving commercial-retail on the ground floor.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 12:54 AM

Hopefully City staff working on the streetcar extension know about that proposal and can stop it.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Hopefully City staff working on the streetcar extension know about that proposal and can stop it.
If you read last year's Policy Report, it would seem that the Option Lands (where I think the housing is proposed) aren't intended to be the route for any future streetcar. "Transportation facilities will instead be provided to the extent possible in adjacent street right-of-ways. Details of these connections will be further developed as part of the update to the citywide streetcar network plan, now underway"

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 10:50 AM

Yeah, I remember that, but it makes much more sense to have a dedicated RoW rather than in-street, especially when the Option Lands cut the corner, avoid a 90 degree turn and line up exactly with the proposed access road into Senakw.
Also, at that time, the scope of the Senakw development was not known and the possibility of an extension into Senakw was not necessarily as much of a priority as it may be now.
That Policy deals with the "Arbutus Greenway" - which probably focuses on the route turning to the south, not to the west.

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 15, 2019 at 11:01 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues