HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez View Post
Very true. A handsome mash-up at that.

As much as I love the colourful accents on the Mondrian exterior, I think it's a little more sensible to put them between floors (as done here) to avoid the Kenny Rogers' Roasters red light coming through the windows.
There's a certain time of day when the sun is just right that, when I open my front door, I get this:

Though, to be honest, I have only enjoyed my red pane so far. No drawbacks as of yet....

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 7:20 AM

I actually don't like the red window strips; windows are for looking out to a nice natural view; for letting in nice natural light. At home, I like to feel calm and relaxed, and bright red is an intensifying colour. Not to be confused with deep red, which these windows do not cast.

They should have kept the red accent strips to the areas that are occupied by walls/floor/ventilation system, etc. for The Wellington's use of the red accents.

BTW, I guess at the Mondrian, you're all set to start your own red-light district. A silhouette of a girl in the window will do the trick. Or maybe

Origins of red-light district.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 1:14 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Man, my neighbourhood certainly has become quite the hotspot. And it's not as chockfull of NIMBY's as Westboro is.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 7:45 PM
CondoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Man, my neighbourhood certainly has become quite the hotspot. And it's not as chockfull of NIMBY's as Westboro is.
Well we just haven't organized ourselves yet, give us a moment or two

As for the red stripe thing, I'm curious to know if early purchasers in The Mondrian had the option of having all their windows clear -- does anyone know?

While I can appreciate the overall aesthetic from the outside, I absolutely can't stand it from the inside, certainly it gives me a good insight as to how Mondrian's design could drive someone to suicide:

http://www.snap-dragon.com/homage_page_3.htm

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:59 AM

theberge homes launch

heard the wellington at island park by theberge homes is launching in the next 2 weeks with over 300 guests don't think clv has anything to do with this building though as there manager has not heard anything

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 10:53 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 1:42 PM

Not sure of the validity of this, but over the weekend i heard that wellington sold out...in fact, multiple sales on certain units. (if the first bails, they have 2 prospects in waiting)...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cntrtwnr View Post
Not sure of the validity of this, but over the weekend i heard that wellington sold out...in fact, multiple sales on certain units. (if the first bails, they have 2 prospects in waiting)...
A friend went to the launch last week and also said it "sold out". It wasnt clear to him if it was the whole building or they were holding some units back.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
A friend went to the launch last week and also said it "sold out". It wasnt clear to him if it was the whole building or they were holding some units back.
I went by there today and they have a sign in the window indicating they are opening on Dec. 5/09. If there sold out, why would they be doing this? Anybody know how this works?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 9:04 PM

Ottawa Citizen - Buying frenzy - December 5, 2009

"It was opening night madness, as condo sold quickly"

"By the time Sheik made her refundable deposit 45 minutes after the sales centre opened, more than 70 others had put first, second or other holds on all but five of the condos. By the end of opening night, 93 stepped forward with checks. Others, some of them disgruntled at having waited for so long or just finding the process unpalatable, walked away, figuring they didn't have a chance of getting what they wanted."

Last edited by rakerman; Dec 5, 2009 at 9:05 PM. Reason: added quote about holds

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 3:24 PM

This building is only going to increase the redevelopment of Wellington West...making me want to buy in Hintonburg even more before condo's start going up east of Parkdale, driving up the prices in the neighbourhood...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 7:18 PM
National Capital Region

The Wellington at Island Park full website is up
http://www.thewellingtonatislandpark.com/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 12:11 AM

Is parking included? I couldn't find a separate price for parking spots.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 10:52 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 2:57 AM
National Capital Region

2 units left.. sales centre is now "by appointment" only...
https://twitter.com/wellingtoncondo

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:58 PM

Wow, that was quick...I bet they'll have the office and the old store on that lot torn down before the end of spring...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 12:15 PM

As of last week, Istanbouli at this location is now closed for good. Their new location on Holland is doing well with being that much closer to Tunneys Pasture.

I pass by the future development every morning and evening and have noticed little to no activity at the sales office. Probably see them moving out soon as well and some good action happening here.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 2:34 AM

Update from Theberge Guy On-site

Significant other and I are purchasing unit 203 in this building, and have been waiting to see what was happening - they were supposed to break ground in March with a completion date of October 2011.

We go every weekend to try and get the feel of the area (we are currently in Barrhaven waiting to become empty nesters), and on Sunday we saw the showroom was open and a Theberge homes truck outside.

The guys inside were starting to tear down the show apartment, and said they were going to start demo in 3-4 weeks.

Anyone else on the forum going to be moving in?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 2:38 AM
Citizen-at-large

I'm not moving into the building, but as someone who lives about one block from there, I guarantee you're going to love the area. On the fringe between Wellington Village and Westboro, walking distance to the river (let alone coutless restaurants, the GCTC, Parkdale Market), five minutes drive or 10 minutes bike ride from downtown - it really doesn't get better than that.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I'm not moving into the building, but as someone who lives about one block from there, I guarantee you're going to love the area. On the fringe between Wellington Village and Westboro, walking distance to the river (let alone coutless restaurants, the GCTC, Parkdale Market), five minutes drive or 10 minutes bike ride from downtown - it really doesn't get better than that.
Thanks Ottawan - it's going to be harder for me to adjust having lived in the Burbs for 20 years, but my girlfriend is an urbanite at heart (Montreal girl ) and can't wait to throw off the shackles of suburban living (its going to be one hell of a yard sale when we do actually move! )

Already become a fan of the Wellington Diner (awesome milkshakes and a damn fine cup of coffee!) and Caffe Mio. Still working on the other attractions but we both are very confident we'll enjoy the whole funkiness of the village.

Once they get going on site I'll be taking photos to document the progress

Cheers!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa