HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
LOL. WHAT?

There are double parkers on nearly every block in NYC at all times. It's obnoxious. People double park in the middle of major thoroughfares like Nostrand Avenue, Franklin Avenue, Fulton Street, Classon Avenue, etc like I've not seen anywhere else in a first world country.
I didn't say there aren't don't double park, I said they don't block traffic, as in cut off routes. I don't really have a problem with double parking if there's a way for traffic to continue around the car. And like 80% of cars double parked with hazards flashing are Uber drivers picking up passengers or delivery drivers. You should see what Fulton Street looks like in the middle of the day. It's filled with double parked delivery trucks dropping off restock items at stores lol.

Quote:
On top of that, the other things NYers refuse to do is circle the block. I've never seen so many U turns on major 2 way thoroughfares anywhere. A NYer can not be bothered to circle the block should their life depend on it. They need to go to that dry cleaner right there on Franklin Avenue? No problem. Just park right in front in the middle of rush hour the rest of you be damned.
Count me as one of those people that can't be bothered lol. Almost every intersection has a traffic light so circling the block requires going through four light cycles since right turn on red is banned in NYC. It's much quicker and simpler to do a u-turn if you're on a 2-way street.

Quote:
Yours is the most generous description (i.e. "polite" lol) of double parking in NY that I've seen anywhere in the history of written word. For christ's sake people double park on ATLANTIC AVENUE during RUSH HOUR for a whole host of reasons all the way from Ozone Park to Cobble Hill.
People mostly double park on Atlantic west of Flatbush. Double parking east of Flatbush on Atlantic is much more rare because the street becomes so wide and traffic moves so fast. That's another reason I don't mind double parking -- it is a natural traffic calming device.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 9:41 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 9:54 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
This might be more prevalent in cities where streets with steep grades are commonplace (for safety reasons). Notice that in all the streetviews these are the steep streets while the (largely flat) cross streets have parallel?

I’ve seen some streets in these cities with similar parking styles:
• Portland
• Seattle
• Austin
• Nashville
• Pittsburgh
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Negatory. There's typically plenty of parking in California. Most people park on the street, driveway, or inside their garage.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5HnRneuM1hrAzP9r5

There are some places where people will park on the sidewalk, although it might still be part of their driveway, but this was the norm pre-pandemic as well.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/YgYcpzEicaiSHD7S6
https://maps.app.goo.gl/eFy5o5xzK61rzv4a6
In California, you can't park in front of/can't block a driveway, even if it's your own driveway.

Some time in the early 2010s, the city of Los Angeles relaxed its enforcement of parking on driveway aprons (which technically is illegal). Many people do this in Westwood adjacent to the UCLA campus, because of limited onsite parking at the apartments there: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0648...5409&entry=ttu

People do this in parts of the Silverlake neighborhood too.

In Los Angeles, you can park on a driveway apron so long as you aren't blocking the sidewalk or jutting into the street---although the example I provided above shows the cars jutting into the street.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 10:07 PM

In NYC it's mostly cops that park like this around police stations. In some cases parking near project housing will also be perpendicular instead of parallel, but that's about it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 10:30 PM

Drivers being assholes and ruining public spaces not at all a new thing. See also: the amount of trash strewn on the ground surrounding every drive-thru.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:06 PM

This has utility on hills since the car can't roll downhill if the parking brake fails and you don't put a ton of stress on an automatic transmission if you put it in park without using the parking brake.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
This has utility on hills since the car can't roll downhill if the parking brake fails and you don't put a ton of stress on an automatic transmission if you put it in park without using the parking brake.
Speaking of which, as an aside, it still surprises me when I see people who don't know which way to turn their front wheels when parking facing uphill/downhill with/without a curb. Some people don't even turn their front wheels at all. You can get a ticket for not curbing your wheels properly when parked on a hill. Even where I live, on some streets with inclines, there are signs reminding people to curb their wheels when parking.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Speaking of which, as an aside, it still surprises me when I see people who don't know which way to turn their front wheels when parking facing uphill/downhill with/without a curb. Some people don't even turn their front wheels at all. You can get a ticket for not curbing your wheels properly when parked on a hill. Even where I live, on some streets with inclines, there are signs reminding people to curb their wheels when parking.
Does this matter for automatic transmissions? I thought it was only needed for manuals?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:53 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Haha that's a NY area phenomenon. NYers refuse to circle the block. NYers even refuse to park in an open spot that's right in front of them if they're only staying temporarily. They'd rather inconvenience everyone around them because they're the priority, especially when it involves driving.

In Philly, double parking is a much less common phenomenon than it is in NY. I think most people in Philly realize you can just circle the block easily as everything is one way or tuck into the dead space near the closest intersection or even in front of a fire hydrant. I am convinced when I do see double parking in Philly that it's a native NYer whose driving the car as there is so much movement between the two cities.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. NYC drivers tend to be d-bags when it comes to double parking even when there is a spot or fire hydrant spot open. Maybe they want to pre-empt being blocked in by another double-parker.

I also noticed that certain Middle Eastern or Islamic communities love to double park around here. Many of these are taxi and Uber drivers waiting for their food orders.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:58 PM

Unless they're blocking a bus or bike lane, double parking is great. I fully support double parking and hope it grows. It's a net positive for walkers, bikers and transit riders, which are a majority of the city. It limits cartopia and likely saves lives via slowed traffic.

And the bus lane issue will likely be greatly ameliorated via the new bus cams, which will automatically ticket double parkers. The bike lane issue is fixable with barriers.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:15 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
In NYC it's mostly cops that park like this around police stations. In some cases parking near project housing will also be perpendicular instead of parallel, but that's about it.
Besides 90 degree back-in parking, there is also 60 degree back-in parking. Both require a certain amount of street width to be viable, especially if you have back-in parking on both sides of the street. Neither is common because most NYC streets are old and narrowish, but you'll see them around.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Does this matter for automatic transmissions? I thought it was only needed for manuals?
It's required for both; cops don't check to see what type of transmission you have, I guess. When I took drivers' training class in high school, we were told that if you drove a stick, to leave it in 1st gear when parked facing uphill, and leave it in reverse when parked facing downhill. I drove a stick for many years and never parked it in neutral.

This, from the California DMV drivers' handbook:

Here's a sign in front of one of our favorite Mexican restaurants that reminds you to curb your wheels; the restaurant even put signs in the window that says you maybe be ticketed if you don't curb your wheels: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2016...5409&entry=ttu

In my town, these signs even tell you which way to turn your wheels.

Downhill:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1223...5409&entry=ttu

Uphill; the Honda driver got it correct, the Bimmer driver didn't:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1207...5409&entry=ttu

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jun 13, 2024 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

"curbing a vehicle"

A concept I have never given a single moment's thought to in 48 years of living in Chicago, LOL!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Can you think of any examples of this parking arrangement in Cincy? I was thinking maybe a street or 2 in Mt. Adams had parking like this, but streetview seems to be saying that's not the case.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
there may be something to that because i don’t see people parking with their wheels turned into the curb very often in the epically hillacious parts of nyc like around here in staten or up in inwood/bx. it always seems disturbing to me when they don’t (i’ve been getting some hiking in around these areas lately). hopefully they have the emergency brake on as a backup, but maybe as you say it doesn’t matter? i dk im out of the loop with cars lol.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:25 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
"curbing a vehicle"

A concept I have never given a single moment's thought to in 48 years of living in Chicago, LOL!
A coworker in Chicago ruined my transmission and parking brake because they had no idea what it did. Drove off for miles in my car to run an errand. I’m from Austin, and using the parking brake is ingrained habit, whereas she’d never given the mechanism a passing thought.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I have two vehicles, one is an automatic the other standard and I always use as the emergency brake on the standard. It was ingrained into me when I first leaned to drive 30 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
It's required for both; cops don't check to see what type of transmission you have, I guess. When I took drivers' training class in high school, we were told that if you drove a stick, to leave it in 1st gear when parked facing uphill, and leave it in reverse when parked facing downhill. I drove a stick for many years and never parked it in neutral.
I drove a stick in high school and college and always parked it in first gear. I rarely had reason to park on a hill so never thought about putting it in reverse while parked. When I drove a manual my father told me to always curb my tires whenever I was parallel parked, but I assumed the reason was in case someone bumped into the car while it was parked.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
A coworker in Chicago ruined my transmission and parking brake because they had no idea what it did. Drove off for miles in my car to run an errand. I’m from Austin, and using the parking brake is ingrained habit, whereas she’d never given the mechanism a passing thought.
I believe it.

"Now, ya see, Larry, a Chicagoan with a parking brake is a little bit like a mule with a banjo. No one knows how he got it, and gosh darnit if he knows what to do with it."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions