HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Villa Cathy Care Home in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Dan Fumano: Beedie vs. Vancouver — Developer takes city to B.C.'s top court
A major developer took the City of Vancouver to court this week, the latest chapter in a years-long showdown over a Chinatown corner.

Author of the article: Dan Fumano
Publishing date:Mar 16, 2021 • 47 minutes ago • 4 minute read

A major real estate developer took the City of Vancouver to B.C.’s highest court this week, the latest chapter in a years-long fight over a prominent Chinatown corner.

Beedie (Keefer Street) Holdings v. Vancouver (City) made its way into the B.C. Court of Appeal , more than five years after the vacant corner lot at 105 Keefer St. in Chinatown became a flashpoint in heated debates about one of Vancouver’s most historic neighbourhoods and the future of the city at large....

....The City of Vancouver was not represented in Tuesday’s hearing by staff lawyers, but by a pair from the Vancouver office of Norton Rose Fulbright, a global firm with more than 3,700 lawyers and legal staff around the world.

Asked why city hall retained outside counsel, city spokeswoman Kirsten Langan said: “Unfortunately, the city does not comment on why it retains particular counsel.”

Langan also said the city could not provide any estimate of the cost to the city of this litigation so far, saying the “expenses related to any particular lawsuit are subject to solicitor-client privilege, and therefore cannot be shared.”

The Court of Appeal reserved judgment.

Neither Beedie nor Bastion replied to Postmedia’s requests for comment.

Unlike the massive controversy surrounding Beedie’s board rejection in 2017, last month’s rejection of the Bastion proposal largely flew under the public’s radar. But it has generated confusion and concern in some corners.
More at
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-c-s-top-court

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Jen St. Denis @JenStDen
Remember when Vancouver's development permit board rejected Beedie's proposal to develop a parking lot in Chinatown after community opposition?

A recent court judgement sends the application back to the board for assessment. https://bccourts.ca/jdb-txt/sc/22/21/2022BCSC2150.htm
1:26 PM · Dec 12, 2022
https://twitter.com/JenStDen/status/...iswBWx649He_Fg

Quote:
Conclusion and Remedy
[109] In sum, I have dismissed all of Beedie’s arguments based on allegations that the Board denied Beedie procedural fairness and acted in bad faith. I have also refused to accept the argument that the Board lacked the legislative authority to refuse the DP Application. However, I agree with Beedie that the Board’s decision is substantively unreasonable because the reasons provided by the Board are inadequate.

[110] In these circumstances, I will exercise my authority pursuant to s. 7 of the JRPA to set aside the Board’s November 6, 2017 decision in respect of the DP Application. Pursuant to s. 5 of the JRPA, I will also direct that the DP Application be remitted to the Board for reconsideration in accordance with these reasons. In particular, it is incumbent upon the Board to reconsider whether the DP Application warrants being approved, approved with conditions, or refused outright. If the latter, the Board must provide detailed and sufficient reasons to transparently explain why such a refusal is justified in the case of the DP Application, as opposed to the Board’s ordinary practice of approving applications subject to conditions that must be satisfied before the permit is issued.

[111] Finally, in light of my findings, I do not feel it is necessary for me to determine what impact, if any, the October 2018 HA-1A rezoning ought to have on the Board’s reconsideration of the DP Application. I say this in particular because it is unclear from the evidence and submissions before me whether the changes to the City’s building development regime since the Board’s November 6, 2017 decision render it impossible for the DP Application to now be approved, as the City suggests, or whether the Board retains the authority to do so nunc pro tunc or otherwise, as Beedie suggests. I expect that if this question is germane to the Board’s reconsideration, the Board will provide an intelligible justification in its reasons that is sufficient for the parties and, if necessary, a reviewing court, to understand.

DISPOSITION
[112] For the reasons set out above, I order the following:

a) Beedie’s petition is allowed;

b) the Board’s November 6, 2017 decision to dismiss Beedie’s DP Application is set aside; and

c) the Board is directed to reconsider the DP Application in accordance with these reasons as soon as is reasonably practicable.
https://www.bccourts.ca/jdb-txt/sc/2...22BCSC2150.htm

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:32 AM

The new question now is - do they still want to build there?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 5:11 AM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:01 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I hope all these ladies enjoy the state of Chinatown right now as their lunacy helped create it. you reap what you sow.

Chinatown residents rally in front of City Hall in Vancouver, B.C., October 30, 2017 to protest a revised plan for 105 Keefer Street. Photo by Arlen Redekop /PNG

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I hope all these ladies enjoy the state of Chinatown right now as their lunacy helped create it. you reap what you sow.

Chinatown residents rally in front of City Hall in Vancouver, B.C., October 30, 2017 to protest a revised plan for 105 Keefer Street. Photo by Arlen Redekop /PNG
Seems more likely they were conned by the activists with some BS story about the project.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 7:21 AM

why would they want to build there now? place has gone downhill majorly in the time being. probably better to just hold the land and see what this new council will do, if anything, to improve the area.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 5:50 PM

CTV Article - Dec 12, 2022
City of Vancouver must reconsider application to develop vacant lot at 105 Keefer St., judge rules

Man, CTV couldn't be bothered to go down and take current site status picture and used Google screen shot instead.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
CTV Article - Dec 12, 2022
City of Vancouver must reconsider application to develop vacant lot at 105 Keefer St., judge rules

Man, CTV couldn't be bothered to go down and take current site status picture and used Google screen shot instead.
From CTV article: "[Justice] Brongers ordered the reconsideration to take place 'as soon as is reasonably practicable.' "

I suppose we'll have to watch the Development Permit Board meeting schedule to see what 'reasonably practicable' entails.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
From CTV article: "[Justice] Brongers ordered the reconsideration to take place 'as soon as is reasonably practicable.' "

I suppose we'll have to watch the Development Permit Board meeting schedule to see what 'reasonably practicable' entails.
Assuming they still want to build - but I suppose they could get the permit then sell the site.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 1:25 AM

dbl post

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Assuming they still want to build - but I suppose they could get the permit then sell the site.
Only time will tell. 1.5 months later, still not on DPB agenda.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 2:27 AM

I wonder how much the city spent on legal fees.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 11:36 PM

Toronto Star had a story/excerpt/reprint yesterday mentioning 105 Keefer:

Vancouver’s resilient Chinatown fights back against new danger: gentrification
Though it’s recognized as a national historic site, the neighbourhood has been squeezed by the intense pressure of gentrification over the last decades.
By Melody Ma Excerpt from White Riot
Mon., April 10, 2023

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ification.html

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 11:47 PM

Wait, what? Gentrification?

If anything has been plaguing Chinatown over the last decade it’s the complete opposite.

If Chinatown is an example of a gentrified neighborhood, I don’t want to know what one that isn’t looks like.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 12:12 AM

Chinatown's decline has as much to do with being sat next to the DTES than any other real or imaginary reason that Melody Ma wants to come up with.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 11:42 PM

The Development Permit Board will reconsider the application on May 29th. "The Application will be reconsidered under the HA-1A Design Policies, applicable in 2017 when the application was first considered. "

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 11:55 PM

What an absolute debacle.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
What an absolute debacle.
i cant believe this has been going on since 2017. its crazy. thats 6yrs now.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 2:21 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver