HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
City Hall's wanted more office space on that site for the last forty years - one way or another, there'll be buildings. Just throw in another tower on the NoFrills block so they blend in.
They have.. and in the mean time while they dragged their feet they've paid for multiple private buildings in the area with long term leases.. Crossroads started out at 10-year, $70 million. Imagine what they could have built back then with that.

Ron.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 9:16 PM

Okay one single tall tower wouldn't work with the floorplate sizes and the amount of floorspace they have spread through ~4 towers. But I still think you can make a case for a slightly taller tower that impedes into the view cone. If revenue streams are a consideration into the project then how much revenue could be generated with ten storeys of office leased out on top of one or two of the towers.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 9:51 PM

I don't think anyone at City Hall wants to build anything much more prominent than the existing building.

They are suggesting that with relaxed view cones some density could be shifted west.

Image from City of Vancouver

Last edited by madog222; Jun 15, 2024 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 10:38 PM

I really don't see why they need to hamstring themselves to protect an old Art Deco relic that's been long eclipsed by the rest of the city. The old engineering joke about horses' asses comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
They have.. and in the mean time while they dragged their feet they've paid for multiple private buildings in the area with long term leases.. Crossroads started out at 10-year, $70 million. Imagine what they could have built back then with that.

Ron.
They should take a leaf from TransLink and the subway - build it once, build it right.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
I don't think anyone at City Hall wants to build anything much more prominent than the existing building.

They are suggesting that with relaxed view cones some density could be shifted west.
I mean that's understandable but I wonder how lost it will get over the long term as Broadway Plan compliant towers get built out.

The Drake Street seawall view of city hall I guess pretty much eliminates any chance of selling/redeveloping the West Annex site.

I think the Cambie Street viewcones and the issue of trees totally obscuring most of the east part of the protected view should also be a consideration for the form of development.

https://vancouver.ca/home-property-d...cted-view.aspx

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post

Ron.
The rent for the 86,000 sq ft at Crossroads was initially negotiated at $4,002,650 a year. [City of Vancouver report] So ten years would have been $40m, which wouldn't have built much of anything.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 12:17 AM

They should just build an exact one-to-one replica of city hall on 10th scaled up 2x. Then you can argue the view cones will still show the art deco city hall building, there will be 8x the available space, and the old city hall structure can be replaced with something else.

All problems solved!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 1:33 AM

But then you run into the heritage society: the old building will be too old to be replaced.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 2:06 AM

It's giving

in a good way

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
But then you run into the heritage society: the old building will be too old to be replaced.
Okay then we can convert the old city hall to SROs and wait for it to inevitably burn down first.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 6:54 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
It looks kind of jarring to me due to the asymmetrical design where there's a lot of tall buildings on one side but not the other.
The grand view of the main building is exclusive to the West End. None of us peasants on the East Side shall be allowed to see such beauty.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
The rent for the 86,000 sq ft at Crossroads was initially negotiated at $4,002,650 a year. [City of Vancouver report] So ten years would have been $40m, which wouldn't have built much of anything.
Between 2021 and 2023 they've dumped 46,000sq feet of office space.

Quote:
Between Q1 2021 and Q4 2023, the City reduced it’s leased office footprint by over 37,000sf, representing an annual lease cost savings of $1.66 million per annum (inclusive of Operating Costs and Property Taxes). As of Q1 2024, the City’s leased office footprint and annual leasing costs will be reduced by a further 8,500sf and $384,000 respectfully, representing a total office space reduction of close to 46,000sf and lease cost savings of over $2 million/annum.
https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/2023-...-questions.pdf

The 2024 leased office space target was 377,849 sq feet at $22 million dollars.

Last edited by jollyburger; Jun 16, 2024 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
A new building can last for 100 years or more, and in 10 year's the rent won't be 4mil: might be doubled. Also, the Crossroads space isn't the only rental space they have in the City. There are numerous all across town.

Also, if they can put commercial space to link it to the skytrain station, like a shopping mall, they can make good money out of their own property.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Wow, hello encampment and protest central.

I'm going to call it the Art Gallery Southern Steps V2.0.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Wow, hello encampment and protest central.

I'm going to call it the Art Gallery Southern Steps V2.0.
City hall should be a suitable spot for protests, unlike an art gallery.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
City hall should be a suitable spot for protests, unlike an art gallery.
Seeing how protests are not going anywhere, I'd definitely rather have the art galley's two plazas for events casual use and city hall's plaza to be the open public forum.

So hardscaping is a must

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver