HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-kt View Post
Everything looks great and I'm a big fan of a skywalk (because Gladstone bridge sucks), but I need to know that Vimy Brewery is going to be ok.
Not in its current location - the space they occupy would be demolished, no?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 4:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-kt View Post
Everything looks great and I'm a big fan of a skywalk (because Gladstone bridge sucks), but I need to know that Vimy Brewery is going to be ok.
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Trinity and partners propose three-tower development along Trillium Line at Gladstone

David Sali
OBJ
November 7, 2018

Trinity Development Group and its partners are proposing a three-tower development that would rise up to 40 storeys at Gladstone and Loretta avenues.

The consortium of developers behind the trio of highrises proposed for 900 Albert St. is now planning to build three more mixed-use towers just a couple of blocks to the south, the tallest of which would soar 40 storeys.

Trinity Development Group said Wednesday it plans to build a one-million-square-foot mix of office, retail and residential space on the northeast corner of Gladstone and Loretta avenues, just a few steps from the proposed Gladstone LRT station on the Trillium line. A pedestrian bridge would connect the station, slated to built by 2021 as part of phase two of the LRT, to the new complex.

The proposal calls for three highrises of 40, 35 and 30 storeys that would include 921 residential units along with more than 140,000 square feet of office space and a bit more than 30,000 square feet of retail, which would be located on the ground floor. An underground lot would contain 548 parking spaces.

Trinity is partnering on the project with InterRent REIT and PBC Real Estate Advisors ​– the same group of companies that is planning to build the massive $400-million mixed-use development just to the north at 900 Albert St., near Bayview Station at the intersection of the Trillium and Confederation light-rail lines. City council has already given the green light to that project, which would feature three towers of 65, 56 and 27 storeys containing more than 1,200 apartment units.

The proposed development would rise above the Enriched Bread Artists building at 951 Gladstone Ave. Photo by Google Maps.

Trinity would not divulge the price tag of the latest proposal.

Mathew Laing, the firm’s senior vice-president of development and planning, said the developers haven’t decided whether the residential units would be rental apartments or condos. He said the builders chose the site because of its close proximity to the intersection of the two LRT lines, adding they aren’t worried about an oversaturation of housing in the neighbourhood.

In addition to Trinity’s Bayview project, Claridge is proposing a five-building, 1,600-unit mixed-use development at LeBreton Flats.

“Everything is market-driven, and we heard today that the Ottawa market’s doing very well,” said Laing, who announced the project during the annual Ottawa Economic Outlook event at the Shaw Centre. “We’re looking forward to that continuing.”

A heritage building currently occupies the site at 951 Gladstone Ave., with a small retail strip mall beside it. The heritage structure was built in 1924 as a bread factory and is now home to the Enriched Bread Artists collective. The area is zoned for general industrial use with a building height limit of 11 metres.

While initial renderings of the proposal show the heritage building remaining virtually intact, Laing said the developers won’t know exactly how much of the structure will be preserved until after they consult with city staff and the public.

The builders filed a development application with the city on Friday. Laing said there is no timetable for when planning committee will consider the proposal.
https://obj.ca/article/trinity-and-p...line-gladstone

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 2:11 AM
R2-D2's army of death

I like the podium, and how they're tying it in to the future LRT station and making it feel more connected to Little Italy. The main tower is ugly as sin. The other two I can live with. I also fear this is a bit tall (at least at the moment) seeing as there aren't any equally large scale towers in the immediate area.

I would also be saddened by the loss of Vimy Brewing Company, but I'm assuming they just move and keep putting out amazing beer and pork sandwiches.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I like the podium, and how they're tying it in to the future LRT station and making it feel more connected to Little Italy. The main tower is ugly as sin. The other two I can live with. I also fear this is a bit tall (at least at the moment) seeing as there aren't any equally large scale towers in the immediate area.

I would also be saddened by the loss of Vimy Brewing Company, but I'm assuming they just move and keep putting out amazing beer and pork sandwiches.
There will be towers in the planned Gladstone Village across the tracks, no?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:51 AM

And just to the north, Claridge has approval for towers on Somerset at either side of Breezehill, too. If this goes through, I hope it comes with a significant contribution towards the bridge between Oak and Laurel.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 4:24 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this, and other developments in the city proper are given the go ahead, seeing as the city has retained a mayor and councilors whom are in favor of development opportunities such as these.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 5:46 PM

Hopefully the councillor and community is able to negotiate a good deal to preserve the arts space - the proposal is sound in its density and height in my view, but this is an incredible opportunity to get it right on the arts and redeveloping an area without removing the thing people like about it as it is now.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:28 PM

It looks like the Icon may well have started the arms race we were hoping for.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 12:15 PM
National Capital Region

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__A8G2W9

he City of Ottawa has received an Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment application to permit a mixed-use development with office, retail and residential uses in three high-rise towers at 30, 35 and 41 storeys in height.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 2:32 PM

Glad to see that the Enriched Bread building is being left as is.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 3:23 PM

Eric Darwin supports this project.

https://www.westsideaction.ca/intens...-not-this-one/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
You could say he supports it begrudgingly though, he makes a good point that we really struggle with the missing middle.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:12 AM
National Capital Region

Added the heights from the planning docs... it looks like the "Skybox"/crown makes this one slightly taller than Claridge Icon. There is a 1000 sq foot "Skybox Lounge" on the top floor looking east. The other two towers are tall by Ottawa standards too.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:38 PM

I can see this project being approved, but at 21, 25, and 27 floors...LOL!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I can see this project being approved, but at 21, 25, and 27 floors...LOL!
I think it's very much in the interest of the community to approve dense TOD on these industrial lots in order to protect the single-family and duplex neighborhoods of hintonburg.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I think it's very much in the interest of the community to approve dense TOD on these industrial lots in order to protect the single-family and duplex neighborhoods of hintonburg.
your right. But NIMBYs don't think or care to try and comprehend planning principles. They are simply reactionary naysayers, and usually only in result of buildings heights/floor count.

Having Eric Darwin at least begrudgingly on-board is still a positive as his voice will resonate with many in the community groups who've imputed to CDP know him well.

In any case my thumbs up to this project, and I've lived two streets over on Breezehill for most of my life.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 8:35 PM

Did anyone make it to the open house Feb. 4th? Anything new?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:43 AM

Not sure if this link was posted, but this is the planning rationale. Lots of great renders and information.

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-18-0099.PDF

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:39 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City of Ottawa's architect panel underwhelmed by tower project plans at Gladstone

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: February 11, 2019

A panel of design experts had a ho-hum reaction to a developer’s pitch to protect transit passengers from ugly weather in a preliminary concept for a major tower project next to a future train station.

Trinity Developments is going through the municipal planning approval process for its three-tower vision for the connected properties at 951 Gladstone Ave. and 145 Loretta Ave., west of the future Gladstone Station along the Trillium Line. The approval process includes at least one meeting with the city’s urban design review panel, which reviewed Trinity’s concept in an open meeting this month.

The urban design review panel is made up of architects from outside city hall and provides independent assessments of building designs. Most of the members are from outside of Ottawa.

Trinity’s design includes a bridge leading from a renovated Standard Bread Building, over a pathway, to a second level of the train station.

Gladstone Station is part of Ottawa’s Stage 2 rail expansion of the Trillium Line, scheduled to be done in 2021.

James Parakh, the manager of urban design for Toronto and East York District, first questioned the pedestrian bridge and wondered whether the crossing to the train station was necessary since people could just walk outside to the station, which will be a short distance away.

Landscape architect David Leinster, a partner with The Planning Partnership, who chairs Ottawa’s urban design review panel, encouraged Trinity’s architects to create a strong street connection, potentially through an outdoor plaza, rather than building a pedestrian bridge.

The size of the proposed development also raised some eyebrows around the table.

The planning application calls for 931 residential units, 140,000 square feet of office space and 21,000 square feet of retail space at full build. The tallest tower would be 41 storeys along Gladstone Avenue, while the other two towers, moving north down Loretta Avenue, would be 35 storeys and 30 storeys, respectively.

The panel expressed concern about the mass of the complex boxing out the historic Standard Bread Building, which could be subject to a heritage-protection application at the same time Trinity’s development plan moves through city hall’s approval cycle.

Emmanuelle van Rutten, director at Moriyama & Teshima Architects’ Ottawa office, observed that the complex would be “very big” compared to the low-scale residential and light-industrial buildings in the neighbourhood. Heather Rolleston honed in on the “overbuilt” blocky podium under the tallest tower and was concerned about the “generic” design of the towers so far.

The huge Trinity complex wouldn’t stick out so much when future projects in the area are considered.

Ottawa Community Housing is developing about seven acres of land on the east side of the future train station and the panel heard the development could be as tall as 30 storeys. Trinity also has planning approval to build a 65-storey complex one train stop to the north, across from Bayview Station. At Carling Avenue and Preston Street, Claridge Homes is currently building a 45-storey tower.

Leinster applauded Trinity for preserving the old bread building, but he suggested the panel wouldn’t support the totality of the complex design in its current form.

Barry Hobin, the Ottawa architect whose firm is designing the development, said he wasn’t alarmed by anything he heard from the panel experts, but he pushed back a bit over their criticism of the weather-protected pedestrian bridge, considering Ottawa has been buried in snow and subjected to bone-chilling temperatures this winter.

Creating a transit plaza between the proposed development and the train station would also create a challenge of where to shovel all the snow, Hobin said.

The planning committee still needs to consider the development plan, but it’s likely the urban design review panel will get another peek at any tweaks before zoning and official plan applications hit the political agenda. The panel’s comments are considered by committee and council.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...s-at-gladstone

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa