HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another render, from the CBC article:

That's a two level pedway, leading directly to the large glassed in atrium. I'm getting more and more intrigued.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This locator image shows the land being sold to Lafford by the city (red hatched area), and, it's proximity to the Hall Betts Sports Complex.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

T&T article regarding the Gateway Towers project:

https://tj.news/moncton-miramichi/tw...wntown-moncton (paywall)

Quote:
The first three 15-storey buildings will have 460 units, while the proposed twin 17-storey buildings will create 377 units, along with ground floor business space. The sale of the property is the first step, since it will have to go through the rezoning process, which would include a public hearing. If approved, construction would begin this fall and take approximately four years to complete.

“From day one, we thought these buildings would create a village that would be self-contained with commercial and residential,” Lafford said. He expects the main floor could include a coffee shop, restaurant, micro-brewery and other service businesses.
Quote:
Silliker and Lafford said the two 17-storey buildings will have businesses on the ground floor, facing the trails to create a gateway to the downtown. The total value of the building permits for the two new buildings is $90 million. The proposal is for a podium-style building with two independent 17-storey buildings, connected by a pedway, with an underground parking garage for residents.
The floodgates have broken. Information is coming fast and furious now.......

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 5:09 PM

So, the NB Power lot to the northeast is NOT part of the project? Fascinating. That makes two NB Power lots of good size on opposite sides of Assomption ripe for redevelopment. They just need to relocate the substation.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 6:00 PM

Its hard to get a sense of the size of the atrium inside without any interior renders but perhaps you could have a large scale "food hall" with multiple vendors but shared seating. Now that he's mentioning a restaurant, micro brewery & coffee shop this is entirely possible and unique to Moncton. Sort of like a timeout market you'd see in large cities.

Something like:

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 6:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good thought. That could be quite an attraction, what with Hal Betts next door and the Riverfront Trail.

This could certainly help drive traffic to the neighbourhood, and, spur additional development. Lafford says he wants to develop a "village like atmosphere."

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 8:26 PM

At this rate it seems like Lafford will be started on the old timmy's property before Ashford even breaks ground. I wonder if the Timmy's property will be Lafford's "statement" building. It does sit approximately 3-5m higher than the three sisters which would give that building an extra storey of "height" effect

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 10:37 PM

I suspect that when the city announced they were looking at ways to further invest in the waterfront, that they knew this project was going to have a significant waterfront presence and wanted to see if there were other lands that could mimic this site. They certainly knew about it, so the timing seems to fit as well.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 2:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Its hard to get a sense of the size of the atrium inside without any interior renders but perhaps you could have a large scale "food hall" with multiple vendors but shared seating. Now that he's mentioning a restaurant, micro brewery & coffee shop this is entirely possible and unique to Moncton. Sort of like a timeout market you'd see in large cities.
Somewhat lost in all the excitement within the last day over the information dump about the Gateway development is a little snippet from the CBC article stating that Lafford intends to have a "wellness/fitness centre" as part of the development.

I think, in retrospect, given the CBC comment, that it seems reasonably obvious that the atrium is probably related to this fitness centre. If so, will this be open to the general public? Or, will it be a private club for Gateway (and possibly Three Sisters) residents.

I could see either as being possibilities.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 19, 2024 at 10:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I suspect that when the city announced they were looking at ways to further invest in the waterfront, that they knew this project was going to have a significant waterfront presence and wanted to see if there were other lands that could mimic this site. They certainly knew about it, so the timing seems to fit as well.
South side of Assomption at Lutz (unless being included in Gateway) https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=04527761

South side of Assomption at Westmorland (parking lot portion) https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=05870028

60 Assomption (Rogers warehouse) https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=05416882

536-240 Main/2 Steadman S/8 Steadman S (former RCMP) https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=05254905

South side of Main at Steadman (lot north of Treitz Haus) https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=05758048

South Side of Main at King (3 lots east of the Rodd) https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=05446984

That's what jumps out.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 2:38 PM

Has anyone heard how many meters this will be?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
Sadly no. This is the one key bit of information that is missing.

This will come up for public consultation. I imagine this information may become available then.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
If 17s is 100% confirmed the 2 additional storeys should add 6-7m depending on the height of the podium compared to the three sisters. This would put it around 64-65m range.

Based on the design being similiar to the three sisters.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

17 storeys is 100% confirmed. It has been reported as such in two mainstream media outlets.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

17 storeys is 100% confirmed. It has been reported as such in two mainstream media outlets.
Which means when we count the building there is a floor missing. Which is interesting.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Which means when we count the building there is a floor missing. Which is interesting.
I think it might be a two-storey indoor parking garage above the ground level, which is the thick brick section you can see in the renders.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post

From the front the podium looks like 2 storeys but from the back 3 storeys. It's really hard to tell.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 11:56 AM

I was away for a bit and this is a nice thing to come home to. I am glad that these two are slightly taller, though I like the sisters I think five buildings of the same height would be rather too much. And though the massing of the buildings is quite similar, there is enough new in these designs, like rounded edges, that I think they will not be monotonous. I'm happy for the city to have more developments in the core.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 1:18 PM

Since Lafford has extended the footprint westward for this project, I'm wondering about the vacant NB Power lot to the east. Could they be planning to move that sub station across the street onto this lot?

Looking at the N.B. PAOL map, that lot is larger than just the sub station footprint. It extends to the corner of Lutz St. and could possibly be developed.

Of course I'd rather see that detestable sub station go somewhere else all together, because the NB Power land just east of the Gateway development is prime development land too!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 2:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Of course I'd rather see that detestable sub station go somewhere else all together, because the NB Power land just east of the Gateway development is prime development land too!
Agreed. The majority of the riverfront lands is protected parkland (a good thing), but, this limits the amount of land with development potential. The NB Power properties are prime with redevelopment potential, being adjacent to the Gateway Towers and the Three Sisters. They should really be used for high rise development as well.

This would make a powerful entry into the downtown core heading east on Assumption.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 29, 2024 at 12:44 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces