HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:50 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yet another sign of the decline of western civilization. Tattoos are disgusting and will hopefully drop from prominence as quickly as they rose. I would hire nobody with an intentionally disfigured face or exposed body part.
Wow? lol really? ... jeesh... I won't (actually, I don't-) really want to be getting into it here, but I must state a couple facts about myself personally lol.. (if you or anyone else wants to get into some sort of argument, lets keep it to inbox messages) I don't know who's on the side of the declining western civilization here.. you or me... I mean, we're all working to be a more accepting culture as a whole, are we not? I have a couple of exposed tattoos and piercings, usually always an "odd" colour in my hair and wear baggy black clothing with chains, straps and an assortment of other random stuff hanging off of them; clothing which most definitely gets me "odd looks." (clothing like that- when bought new, by the way is rather pricy)

I have 2 jobs- and not because I need the 2 to make ends meet, but because I can. One is my "regular" job and the other is my self run photography business I do because that's what I went to school for. So I suppose I'm kind of like a "wierd" version of batman or something when it comes to my employment. I've got no debt from school now (WHOOOOO ) I've got no personal debts either, I've got several trips lined up in the nearing months (Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto and debating now on looking at getting into the rollercoaster of paperwork to go to Chernobyl and Pripyat in Ukraine)

So.. kinda getting myself back on topic here.. I think what the occupy folks stand for is good idealistically, however the way they are going about attempting to do something is just silly, but this is democracy, and they can do as they wish, as can I. Friday past I was actually over at grand parade taking photos, I wandered around a bit though I spent most of my time chatting with the police that were there just kind of keeping an eye on things, they looked at me and assumed I was with occupy just based on how I looked, I basically told them exactly what I just said above to their reaction, much like "well, damn.." So you shouldn't always go basing ideas and judging a group as a whole on how they look, as you may, and more than likely will- be surprised.

jus' sayin' lol

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
opinionated so and so

Ah KeithP, born 50 years too late for your world view.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:34 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
So.. kinda getting myself back on topic here.. I think what the occupy folks stand for is good idealistically, however the way they are going about attempting to do something is just silly, but this is democracy, and they can do as they wish, as can I. Friday past I was actually over at grand parade taking photos, I wandered around a bit though I spent most of my time chatting with the police that were there just kind of keeping an eye on things, they looked at me and assumed I was with occupy just based on how I looked, I basically told them exactly what I just said above to their reaction, much like "well, damn.." So you shouldn't always go basing ideas and judging a group as a whole on how they look, as you may, and more than likely will- be surprised.

jus' sayin' lol
I very much agree. In an idealistic sense, these protestors have some valid points (it is not as if capitalism is an idyllic perfect concept that can be absolved of any negative impacts on the world), and on the other hand I personally think their world view is overly naive and unrealistic. I also don't think that these particular local protests are in the big picture going to be all that effective, although I very much appreciate that they have been peaceful.

Having said all that, I will absolutely 100% defend their right to protest, to dress how they like, and to hold whatever opinions they like. In fact, the more we disagree with someones perspective, the more mindful we should be of their right to express that view. It is easy to say that people who share your opinion are in the right... not so easy to maintain that view when you disagree with them.

I always find it interesting that it is often the most conservative flag waving "God-bless freedom" folk who seem to be the first to want to shut down freedom of speech, to tell others how to dress etc. Freedom is freedom, and even more so when someone is protesting something you disagree with (afterall, that's the fundamental point of having protections of various "freedoms").

Everyone on here has pretty darn strong opinions on various topics, and are often constantly railing against the old Heritage Trust type "establishment" as being out of touch etc... we should therefore be the first to say that others have the right to hold and express opinions however the hell they want. Glass houses and all...?!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
If they were violating any laws, or creating any serious problems, then the authorities would be well within their right to remove them... As they've chosen not to do so, then it's logical to conclude that they aren't actually breaking any laws, or causing any harm...
Don't be ridiculous. This is HRM, where groups like this get away with murder. If I wanted to pitch a tent in the Grand Parade I would be out of there in a heartbeat.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:57 PM

Dyed hair? unthinkable!

You guys are bigger curmudgeons than the folks at the Heritage Trust.

The show was great! A shame they couldn't secure another outdoor location. We saw the line and almost left but we arrived early enough that we were eventually squeezed in, though our vantage point was behind a very large speaker.

(self-made image)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 5:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't like tattoos or piercings much but it is hard for me to get upset over what is, at the end of the day, just fashion. You have to wonder about strong opinions that oscillate back and forth every few years.

I agree that a "right to protest as long as you don't bother anybody" is basically worthless. Protest is only useful to the extent that it puts pressure on authority and informs people who would not otherwise know about the related issues. Protest is the only mechanism some people have if they want to have an impact on the government and similar organizations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment