HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 2:55 PM

^ Interesting find. Their main restaurant looks a bit like a more stylish version of Marcello's.

What I'd really love to see at 201 Portage is something to fill the CRU right on Portage and Main... as far as I can remember, it has always been vacant.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 3:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Interesting find. Their main restaurant looks a bit like a more stylish version of Marcello's.

What I'd really love to see at 201 Portage is something to fill the CRU right on Portage and Main... as far as I can remember, it has always been vacant.
Hopefully that is the plan, because that is needed at this intersection.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
You didn't read carefully. "A number of additional tenants will ensure a variety of food choices to satisfy every taste."
Looking at the poster boards setup on-site it seems like most of the existing food court area will be converted to the conference center. A couple of restaurants outside the food court are still open so they could be the 'variety'.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 3:00 PM

Definitely interesting. There were a couple large, vacant offices on other floors that 201 Portage had been using as similar conference spaces.

As for the changes, I am not sure if anyone else has noticed but three established food trucks have taken up residence in the 201 Portage driveway. One of them confirmed they are there for the whole season. The other interesting aspect is one does pizza which would seem to overlap with one of the food court tenants. All that seems to suggest something is likely to start happening sooner than later.

In terms of "variety" keep in mind there is likely the vacant unit between the esclators and the sushi place. It used to run a Starbucks like coffee place back before Starbucks was in the building. Between the sushi, muffins, the vacant unit, the smokes and snacks place and the announced location it has decent variety and has cut out the majority of the food court.

Link to Mercatino. Seems they operate three locations in Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
You didn't read carefully. "A number of additional tenants will ensure a variety of food choices to satisfy every taste."
That just means the hotdog cart on the sidewalk is still operating.

Edit: CoryB, I did not read your post. There is no way 201 should allow those food trucks in their driveway. If I was the pizza owner downstairs I would not be happy.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:43 PM
BANNED

I see DQ is looking at opening a location downtown. That would be cool.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I see DQ is looking at opening a location downtown. That would be cool.
The WFP article hinted that it could be in a new development. TNS?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:57 PM

The DQ on Portage Ave is just outside of walking range from DT. Maybe on a nice day. I guess you could take the bus.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I hope it will be a storefront location.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
That just means the hotdog cart on the sidewalk is still operating.

Edit: CoryB, I did not read your post. There is no way 201 should allow those food trucks in their driveway. If I was the pizza owner downstairs I would not be happy.
My guess is the pizza truck is allowed at 201 Portage with the pizza outlet in the food court as the rumors are all the food court tenants are month to month now. If the food court one didn't like it they could move out.

In terms of the downtown DQ I would guess it has to be TNS. If you go way, way far back their sister chain Orange Julius operated out of what is now CityPlace but was in the now demolished north portion of the mall at the bottom of the escalators. Not sure they ever had ice cream though.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:47 PM

the Orange Julius in the old Eaton Place annex was the standard juice set up just like the one in the old Un iCity Mall food court.

For some reason I think there was also a store front OJ location on the south side of Portage Ave around Carlton years ago.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just heard from someone in the know: TNS it is LOL.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:19 PM

I don't understand how DQ can afford the rent at TNS. Does this mean there will be no two dollar cheeseburgers?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I don't understand how DQ can afford the rent at TNS. Does this mean there will be no two dollar cheeseburgers?
It's no different than with any other restaurants... if DQ can hustle enough Blizzards and cheeseburgers, they will be able to afford the rent. I would think lease rates at the TNS food court will be realistic, otherwise, who would sign on?

Here's a place I'd love to see in the TNS food court... Paramount Fine Foods. Middle Eastern fast food that kind of pretends to be upscale but is really just simple, tasty, and moderately priced. Tried it in Ontario a few times last year and would love to see it in downtown Winnipeg. http://www.paramountfinefoods.com/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:04 PM

I just checked out the menu at Hy's. I'm a dead broke dick.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:16 PM

DQ going into TNS is a good sign. National chains (F&B or retail) with little or no downtown presence that are looking at or coming back downtown can only mean and lead to positive things.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 12:17 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
DQ going into TNS is a good sign. National chains (F&B or retail) with little or no downtown presence that are looking at or coming back downtown can only mean and lead to positive things.
I believe this is a very important point.

It would be a very positive sign to me.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:47 PM

Two things with DQ coming to TNS -- we have unofficial confirmation that TNS will have a food court and food court tenants don't really mean much in terms of other retail. Both Portage Place and CityPlace already have national and international chains in their food courts.

The separate question to be asking is with the existing CityPlace and PortagePlace food courts does TNS really need to have their own food court? At some point the market saturation level gets hit and I think downtown is already near that point for food courts. It is a big part of why 201 Portage food court never really took hold.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:51 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Two things with DQ coming to TNS -- we have unofficial confirmation that TNS will have a food court and food court tenants don't really mean much in terms of other retail. Both Portage Place and CityPlace already have national and international chains in their food courts.

The separate question to be asking is with the existing CityPlace and PortagePlace food courts does TNS really need to have their own food court? At some point the market saturation level gets hit and I think downtown is already near that point for food courts. It is a big part of why 201 Portage food court never really took hold.
You're forgetting that this development will bring more people working and living the area. That's also going to affect the saturation.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:23 PM

For what it's worth, the big 3 food courts downtown (Portage Place, Cityplace, Winnipeg Square) are all very busy places on weekdays and even Saturdays to some extent. One more, provided that it's not oversized, would probably do reasonably well. The downside, of course, is that another food court just lessens the chances of more restaurants opening up on street level in storefront CRUs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan