HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 6:20 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Thank you for the clarification. The article says that both Draper and S. Jordan locations are LEED Gold. I think my comments still apply to the S. Jordan and the Draper locations, I would hope the data center is close to Trax.

Now that companies are starting to be more responsible in their buildings I think the LEED Certifications need to place commuting as a higher percentage of their rankings. I know it is currently a piece of the puzzle, but it needs to be a larger piece of the rating system.

EBay could have very easily have built a much smaller parking lot at their new Draper location and charge employees to park in it. The 100's of thousand of dollars they would have saved in building a much smaller parking lot, they could have provided yearly Front Runner passes to their employees, and I'm sure with buying 100's of those they would even get a price break from UTA. I applaud EBay's efforts in the buildings, but I think they could have easily done more to make themselves more green without it costing them more money.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 8:59 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Thank you for the clarification. The article says that both Draper and S. Jordan locations are LEED Gold. I think my comments still apply to the S. Jordan and the Draper locations, I would hope the data center is close to Trax.

Now that companies are starting to be more responsible in their buildings I think the LEED Certifications need to place commuting as a higher percentage of their rankings. I know it is currently a piece of the puzzle, but it needs to be a larger piece of the rating system.

EBay could have very easily have built a much smaller parking lot at their new Draper location and charge employees to park in it. The 100's of thousand of dollars they would have saved in building a much smaller parking lot, they could have provided yearly Front Runner passes to their employees, and I'm sure with buying 100's of those they would even get a price break from UTA. I applaud EBay's efforts in the buildings, but I think they could have easily done more to make themselves more green without it costing them more money.
Not many people work at the data center. The main facility has about 1,500 people on site, and each of them is eligible for a monthly reimbursement if s/he uses FrontRunner. The parking lot is large, but never more than half full. Future expansion plans call for two more 4-5 story buildings on site to house more than 2,000 employees.

Sadly, for many of us, public transport adds about an hour to our commute due to proximity of our homes/daycare/schools to transportation hubs. Driving still remains the most practical option for many.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:05 PM

These flickr July pics are the latest updates we have of the new firestation in Holladay. I'm also wondering how the new Holladay Village Square is coming along. There must be quite a bit of progress since the last update. Anyone going to be in the Holladay area soon?

http://www.thinkaec.com/blog-holladay-fs/

Last edited by delts145; Oct 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:31 PM

Elliott WorkGroup had some nice update construction pics of their attractive 692 Main St. Project in Park City.

http://elliottworkgroup.com/692-main-street/

Original Structure

September 2013:

October 2013

Last edited by delts145; Oct 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:57 PM
West bench livin'

I absolutely LOVE the new Holladay fire station!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
I absolutely LOVE the new Holladay fire station!
Ditto to that goldcntry.

Again some update pics from Elliott WorkGroup. Looks like their Silver Queen Project has made a few changes since we last viewed it. I know
SLC Projects remembers and disliked the updated heavy iron portico over the sidewalk. The latest update calls for
completely stripping the original stone portico from the structure. I think I like the latest update better. The original stone portico always seemed like
a modern add-on and felt clumsy to me. Also, the iron update seemed very bottom heavy.
http://elliottworkgroup.com/silver-queen/

Original Structure

September 2013

new elevator

corner window through two floors. Looks like they pretty much gutted the interior.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 2:56 PM

Man, Park City's downtown is so awesome! I don't get up there enough.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 12:55 PM

The positive PR that Park City showers on Utah is very palpable here in L.A. So many people I talk with are enamored with Utah because of Park City, The Wasatch, and Southern Utah's Scenery

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 5:20 AM

So it looks like this is finally happening in Park City:

Park City Film Studios celebrates a groundbreaking ceremony

The state-of-the-art Park City Film Studios will help Utah become more visible in the international story-telling community as well as draw more filmmakers to the area.

That was the theme Tuesday morning when studio owner and developer Greg Ericksen and 100 guests that included filmmakers, entertainers and press gathered at Quinn's Junction, west of S.R. 248, for a groundbreaking ceremony.
During a short press conference prior to grabbing his shovel, Ericksen greeted the crowd and said how honored he was to be there.

"While the sky is falling in Washington, a new star is rising in Park City," Ericksen said. "This is a place where stories will be told, not just to local audiences, but to world audiences. The pioneer spirit is here with everything we do in Utah. We're innovative. We're tenacious. Yes, we have our differences, but unlike Washington, we come together to make things work regardless of our politics."

http://www.parkrecord.com/news/ci_24...ce=most_viewed

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 9:45 AM

Very exciting stuff for those of us involved in the film industry. I can't tell you how many Sundance regulars from L.A. absolutely love the idea of having a Studio in Park City. I think this will be just the beginning of something really big for Utah's film industry.

Here's the announcement from the Trib.

Multimillion-dollar movie studio to open in Park City

Construction » Park City Film Studios will be hub for advanced digital moviemaking and film school.

By Vince Horiuchi | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...gital.html.csp

Park City • With rolling hills behind them befitting a David Lean film, officials held a ceremony Tuesday to break ground on a new $125 million film studio that will include soundstages, a film school, a hotel and even a guitar museum.

"Park City is becoming a major area for film connection," said studio president Greg Ericksen. "A lot of deals are made in Park City. It used to be just during Sundance. Now it will be all year round."

Courtesy Computer renderings of the Park City Film Studios, a new $125 million campus that will be the home of soundstages, digital and effects stages, a film school and hotel. The campus will be located on the east entrance into Park City.

In addition to Erickson, members of the Governor’s Office of Economic Development and the Utah Film Commission were on hand for the start of construction on the 374,000-square-foot Park City Film Studios, which will be located off U.S. 40 on the east side of Park City.

Marshall Moore, executive director of the Utah Film Commission, rattled off a number of big-budget films that were made in the state recently, including "John Carter," "The Lone Ranger," and "After Earth," and "any one of those productions could have used a facility like this," he said.

The studio will be comprised of three cores: soundstages to shoot motion pictures, television shows and commercials; a film school in partnership with Utah Valley University; and a retail component that will include the museum, restaurants and a 100-room hotel.

The studio also will stress the most advanced technology in digital filmmaking to help contain the cost of making movies and to wow audiences with the latest in special effects.

Ericksen turned to a digital company, EMM Technology, to outfit the studio with the software, hardware and services necessary to create movie magic. EMM, which originated in Virginia, is relocating to Park City to work with the studio.

"It’s essential, and it is growing," Larry D. Cox, chief operating officer for EMM, said about the role of digital filmmaking in Hollywood. "You don’t have to capture and recapture scenes anymore. You can create the scenes or capture them once and use them again in a variety of ways. But the real beauty of it is in time management and control of costs. If you don’t have to fly armies of actors and support teams out to a location; you can save millions."

Citing the Oscar-winning film, "Life of Pi," as an example of digital filmmaking that will improve and become less costly over time, so "if you could reduce the time required to make such an excellent, sophisticated movie as that from four years to three years … to months, imagine the savings in time costs and studio energy."

Ericksen has partnered with Orem’s UVU to create a curriculum in digital media for the studio’s school, which not only will provide classes and internships for local students but also for students from abroad.

"We believe that this will be a partnership that will be successful for many years to come," said Michael Savoie, UVU’s dean of the College of Technology and Computing.

The campus is being financed by Ericksen — his family are owners of Orbit Irrigation in North Salt Lake — and a series of private investors from China. He said the Chinese film industry is interested in learning more about western techniques in filmmaking.

Ericksen, who is an intellectual property attorney in Davis County, has always been interested in the entertainment industry and represented some of the local talent that have appeared on the hit television show "American Idol." It was while making some videos for the syndicated version of that show that he became interested in more filmmaking, he said.

"I really enjoyed it and came back to Utah and was contacted by a company that was looking for a motion picture studio in Utah, and they thought the only place that it would be viable in would be in Park City."

The construction on the first phase of the studio, the soundstages, will be completed in the fall of 2014. The rest should be finished sometime in 2016 or 2017, Ericksen said. He also is negotiating with a national chain to build the hotel.

The film commission’s Moore acknowledged that once the studio is completed, it might be difficult to get enough film projects to keep the soundstages operating year round.

The state has a film incentive program that offers up to a 25 percent tax credit to filmmakers if they make their movie in Utah. But the state has only allocated $6.8 million per year for the program, and he said that’s not enough to attract productions to keep cameras rolling all year.

"What we’re going to have to do in the future is — once they build this studio and see that there is this facility here — we’re going to have to see if there is a way to raise that cap so we can attract a TV series and big-budget features here," Moore said.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 2:06 PM

Having just moved to Park City, I think the fact that they are finally moving forward with the Park City Studio project is very exciting as well.

I drove by the site yesterday morning and saw all the people gathered under a big white canopy and had a intuitive sense that something momentous was going on, but I did not realize what it was until I read the articles about PC Studios last night.

I wonder if there is any chance that the other proposed Studio project in Park City might move forward as well. I would imagine it would be difficult for two projects of this magnitude to launch and find all the needed work at the same time.

The other proposed Studio was to be located at Kimball Junction. Back at the start of the year there was a lot of chatter about it, but I haven't heard anything about it since. I guess it was to be called Masque Studios. Does anyone know about the status of this project. Do you think PC could be home to two big studio developments, Delts?

http://www.parkrecord.com/summit_cou...m-studio-works

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 9:39 AM

A new Village in Kimball Junction

The development will bring "great energy" to area

Alexandria Gongalez - The Park Record

http://www.parkrecord.com/summit_cou...ce=most_viewed

A white truck with red lettering reading "Now Hiring!" is parked next to a building that has gone up outside Smith's at Kimball Junction. The windows are lined with signs for Five Guys Burgers, a fast food restaurant opening in one of the spaces in The Village, the development that has been under construction for the last five months.

The property is owned by O'Brien Kiernan Investment Company based in San Francisco, and construction has been headed by HN Development Services of Salt Lake City after its bid was selected by Ross Varner, representative of O'Brien Kiernan, in the first quarter of the year.

Varner said plans and designs for the development began in the fall of last year before a bid was chosen. After they made their decision and construction started, Varner began working with leasing agents, such as Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage and Commerce Real Estate Solutions, to fill the spaces in the development.

"We got these businesses through our contacts, relationships and the brokerage community," Varner said. "Now there are only two spaces left available."

Tiffanie Robinson with the Summit County Planning Division said they have worked with multiple property owners to complete the development, such as Paul Hitzelberger, who owns the Del Taco franchise at Kimball Junction, Steve Sorenson, who represented the Smith's expansion, and Mountain America Credit Union.

"Those businesses had already been built and received certificates of occupancy, but these new buildings are owned by O'Brien Kiernan," Robinson said. "The Village at Kimball Junction is just the last portion of the expansion."

According to Robinson, Summit County Transportation Engineer Kent Wilkerson helped with traffic planning and designing the roundabout.

Ryan Smith, project manager with HN Development Services, said several popular restaurants have signed leases in the new development, such as Five Guys Burgers, Jimmy John's, Café Zupas and Freebirds World Burrito.

According to Smith, Five Guys is the reason HN Development Services became interested in constructing The Village. HN Development is owned by Darryl Nieder and Steve Hawes, who are also majority partners of HN Capital and Maestro Guys, the company that owns, operates and builds Five Guys franchises in Utah.

When Maestro Guys started working with O'Brien Kiernan to sign a lease for a Five Guys franchise in The Village, owners Nieder and Hawes could not pass up the opportunity to put in a bid with their other company, HN Development Services, to construct the last portion of the Kimball Junction expansion, Smith said.

Five Guys will be located in building A, and the other three buildings B, C and F are being leased by companies like Spectrum Salon and, possibly, businesses like AT&T and Simply Mac. The companies were sought out specifically by HN Development Services, according to Varner.

"I think [these businesses] are going to create some great energy for the community," Varner said. "These tenants are top of the line in their categories, so we are really excited to have them."

Smith said several of the businesses should be open by the end of November. Five Guys is anticipating an Oct. 21 debut. The Jimmy John's started construction this week, and the restaurant should be open six weeks after that. Spectrum Salon is hoping to open by late November.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 11:54 AM

Okay, So these pics were taken by John Martin back in June. Given the excellent quality of the Holladay Fire Station, it would be great to see an update of the Holladay Village. If anyone has a chance please grab a few pics. I imagine they've made some good progress.

Holladay Village

http://www.cityofholladay.com

Pics By John Martin

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninslc View Post
Having just moved to Park City, I think the fact that they are finally moving forward with the Park City Studio project is very exciting as well.

I drove by the site yesterday morning and saw all the people gathered under a big white canopy and had a intuitive sense that something momentous was going on, but I did not realize what it was until I read the articles about PC Studios last night.

I wonder if there is any chance that the other proposed Studio project in Park City might move forward as well. I would imagine it would be difficult for two projects of this magnitude to launch and find all the needed work at the same time.

The other proposed Studio was to be located at Kimball Junction. Back at the start of the year there was a lot of chatter about it, but I haven't heard anything about it since. I guess it was to be called Masque Studios. Does anyone know about the status of this project. Do you think PC could be home to two big studio developments, Delts?

http://www.parkrecord.com/summit_cou...m-studio-works

BorninSLC, I am so jealous of you, now that your living in Park City. Yes, I definitely think Park City could more than easily handle two studios. Your right in thinking that they probably won't both happen at exactly the same time. The second studio will wait a little for the first to gather momentum and bookings. I'm hoping that that momentum will be like so many expansion success stories lately in the SLC Metro(think Cheesecake Factory, Google, Adobe, etc.) I mean seriously, if you had similar financial incentives to film along the Salt Lake Wasatch, Austin, or Albuquerque, which would you choose? I predict that it won't be too many years before Salt Lake and Utah seriously challenges Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 4:08 PM

Happened to be driving by the Fairbourne Station development in West Valley City this week, and the residential components there are topping out at four stories--the elevator shafts are all in place, and the (wood) framing is getting up to the four story level. I'll try to get down there and take some pics soon. Not as exciting as what's happening in Holladay, but a true Transit Oriented Development around the Green Line terminus, which in my opinion is MORE exciting in a lot of ways.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 6:23 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Happened to be driving by the Fairbourne Station development in West Valley City this week, and the residential components there are topping out at four stories--the elevator shafts are all in place, and the (wood) framing is getting up to the four story level. I'll try to get down there and take some pics soon. Not as exciting as what's happening in Holladay, but a true Transit Oriented Development around the Green Line terminus, which in my opinion is MORE exciting in a lot of ways.
That's great news, thanks for the update. I would actually say that the Fairbourne Station development is MUCH more exciting than the Holladay Village. Holladay missed out, because they gave into all the CAVE/NIMBY's, on creating a true village/city center with that project. The fact that they gave in and didn't allow for residential will result in the project being mildly successful as opposed to greatly successful. The residential component would have made it a truly active space during all hours. The Village Center will require that nearly every person that uses it has to drive, as opposed to residential which would have created a built in customer base for the retailers that will be opening their doors their. Obviously the residential component wouldn't have been the entire customer base, but would have provided for a consistent percentage of the customer base.

In my opinion the two biggest development fails, that people are raving about, are Holladay Village, explained above, and Station Park, being lauded as Transit Oriented Development. Both project missed their enormous potential, by not thinking outside the suburban sprawl box, and will receive just that, suburban sprawl success, as opposed to true mixed use walkable success. I'm glad Fairbourne is developing like it is, and I applaud West Valley City for their vision.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 11:00 PM

Discussions about Treasure Mountain development quietly restart

City Hall wants a resolution to the long-running dispute about project

Jay Hamburger THE PARK RECORD

http://www.parkrecord.com/news/ci_23...ce=most_viewed

Representatives from City Hall and the Treasure partnership in recent weeks began meeting regularly for the first time since last fall, a high-ranking municipal staffer said in an interview, an indication that there could be movement upcoming in the long-running talks about the project.

Jonathan Weidenhamer, who directs City Hall's economic development programs and is assigned to the Treasure discussions, did not provide details about the meetings that have occurred recently. He called them "weekly updates" and "progress reports."

It seems likely Weidenhamer and possibly at least one elected official have represented the City Hall side. The Treasure partnership has typically been represented by a member of the Sweeney family and someone in attendance on behalf of the family's partner.

The discussions have been held behind closed doors as the sides attempt to reach an agreement on a development blueprint for the Treasure acreage itself as well as the prospects of shifting some of the development rights attached to the Treasure land to another location.

"We want to get it resolved," Weidenhamer said, adding, "It continues to be a priority."

The Treasure land sits on a hillside overlooking Old Town along the route of the Town Lift. The Sweeney family secured development rights on the Treasure land and nearby parcels in the 1980s, building on some of the land in the years since. The Treasure development itself, seen as upward of 1 million square feet, is the most significant part of the overall approval.

Discussions between the Treasure partnership and the Park City Planning Commission about the project started in 2004, but there has only been moderate progress in the nine-plus years.

The Planning Commission and Park City residents, particularly those living along Empire Avenue and Lowell Avenue, have deep-rooted concerns about the project. The critics have contended neighborhood roads cannot adequately handle the traffic Treasure is expected to attract and claim the buildings would loom over Old Town.

The Treasure side, though, disagrees with the assertions of the opposition and says the project would boost business on Main Street and improve the ski terrain that leads from the Park City Mountain Resort slopes to Main Street.

As the discussions with the Planning Commission faltered, the elected officials and top City Hall staffers engaged the Treasure side in unorthodox negotiations meant to end the logjam.

The talks at various points involved discussions about a taxpayer-funded buyout of the development rights. That idea was scrapped after the price was set at more than $90 million.

Since then, the sides have focused on the possibility of shifting some of the development rights from the Treasure site to somewhere that is seen as more suitable for growth.

Some of the private discussions between the teams have looked at the idea of keeping half of the development rights at the Treasure site and shifting the other half elsewhere. It appears that idea will be continue to be researched.

Ed Sweeney, one of the family's representatives, declined to provide details during a recent interview.

"We're in discussions, ongoing discussions. We keep meeting every week," Sweeney said, calling them "productive meetings."

Some of the elected officials in February listed Treasure as a high priority for City Hall's work plan in 2013. During a wide-ranging meeting, three of the six elected officials -- Mayor Dana Williams, City Councilman Alex Butwinski and City Councilman Andy Beerman -- listed Treasure among their top priorities.

The project was also listed as No. 2 out of 55 items labeled as "action ideas for 2013" that month. The No. 2 ranking, though, does not necessarily signal Treasure is the second most important issue to the elected officials.

Butwinski said in an interview the elected officials want the major issues of Treasure resolved in 2013. He said he wants the "uncertainty out of where we're going from here."

The mayor was not available for comment early in the week. It is likely Williams agrees with the desire for progress this year. Williams, a three-term mayor, is not seeking re-election and will leave office in early January. Treasure remains one of the highest-profile unfinished pieces of City Hall business during his nearly 12 years in office.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 2:49 PM

^^^
I was curious about this firms portfolio, http://www.thinkaec.com/project/wcf/ after seeing their work with the Holladay Fire Station...

Workers Compensation Fund Headquarters. I'm guessing this building is fairly new. I like the attractive use of materials. This Project is located across State Street from the South Towne Expo Center. Some other interesting designs and treatments on their website. I see where this firm was also involved with The Metro Condo's Downtown.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:32 PM

The WCF building is kind of up on a hill so when you are standing in "downtown" Sandy this building looks alot taller than it is off in the distance.

On a side note, one day I was driving and REALLY had to pee so I parked and ran inside this building. For everyone's future reference, there are NO public restrooms inside.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:22 PM

The concrete paving at the workers comp building incorporates pervious paving in some areas. The evidence would be gone before someone could stop you...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West