HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
One of the reasons it failed is because there was (and still is) insufficient treatment and support. Decriminalization helped with reducing backlogs in the courts, but it rendered the cops powerless in keeping things under control on the streets. Decriminalization is not the magic bullet they hoped it would be. Without the other pillars in place (treatment, housing, etc), it's bound to fail.
From the sounds of what your saying, decriminalization isn't really a solution as it doesn't reduce the burden on police, it just changes the issues they need to contend with. Such as dealing with more violence, thefts, crime in general due to the increased population of users in the community.

Treatment, housing and other social services need to be invested in to make the difference while still maintaining the criminalization and policing to maintain safety in the community. This is a tough policy to enact as it requires more resources(money), without reducing resources somewhere else.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
From the sounds of what your saying, decriminalization isn't really a solution as it doesn't reduce the burden on police, it just changes the issues they need to contend with. Such as dealing with more violence, thefts, crime in general due to the increased population of users in the community.
There has been no increase in consumption of hard drugs, since BC decriminalized. It's just that it is more out in the open, so my guess is there are a lot more non-violent issues (vandalism, loitering, etc). I can't see violent crime going up due to decriminalizing hard drugs. However, it is more likely to bring the problem out in the open.

Quote:
Treatment, housing and other social services need to be invested in to make the difference while still maintaining the criminalization and policing to maintain safety in the community.
I have to disagree. Addicts should not be arrested or prosecuted due to possession of any drug, as it is a mental health issue. However, if people who take drugs commit crime then all laws should apply to them.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I have to disagree. Addicts should not be arrested or prosecuted due to possession of any drug, as it is a mental health issue. However, if people who take drugs commit crime then all laws should apply to them.
I think this is more or less how Portugal handled it. They didn't make it "legal" to do drugs, for small amounts they made it an "administrative" offense rather than a criminal one. So authorities still have the power to stop bad behaviour, but instead of going to criminal court you go to a "dissuasion commission" who can impose various sanctions other than jail, and those can be waived if you voluntarily enter treatment. Just decriminalizing like BC did without anything else in place seems bound to fail.

Portugal had a lot of success with this for 20 years but even they are have problems now. My relatives in Ontario tell me the problems there are much more visible on the streets these days. This isn't just a Winnipeg thing. At some point we've got to confront the massive, growing inequalities in our societies or it's going to keep getting worse.

Even if they get treatment, what is an ex-addict supposed to do? Get a job mopping floors and not be able to afford rent or groceries? I struggle a lot with burnout and work-life balance and I'm not someone trying to transition into the workforce after years on the street, I can't imagine how they're supposed to do it. There are no jobs out there where they're gonna say "Hey, I know you call in sick a lot and you're always late, but it's good that you're here trying to do things the right way so I'm gonna support you while you continue to put yourself back together." Nope, 2 write-ups then you're gone. And probably back to the streets and the drugs. We don't give them a lot of other options.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:27 PM

Quote:
If you are in possession of a gun, you will be arrested/prosecuted. Why should this not apply to incredibly dangerous drugs? Mental health issues, generally, are a symptom of the use of drugs, not necessarily the cause of drug use.

Instead of arresting/prosecuting, perhaps we should have non criminal consequences.

1st-3rd offence: 24hr hold (drunk tank)
4-6th offence: 1 week hold
7-9th offence: 3 month rehab
10+ offences: criminal charges???

This would allow for the person early on the opportunity to recover in a safe space where they can't be a harm to the community. The later stages allows for resources to be funneled directly to the individual where social services could work to overcome addictions, develop skills, prepare resumes and find transitional housing to help prevent future relapses. I feel this option keeps addicts out of the criminal system while keeping communities safer and building people up rather then letting them languish in a world where we enable drug use.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:37 PM

Quote:
If you are in possession of a gun, you will be arrested/prosecuted. Why should this not apply to incredibly dangerous drugs?.
You can't be serious.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:40 PM

from LinkedIn

Coming to Osborne Village in 2025: a harmonious blend of community living and support services!

Proposed for the iconic intersection of Wellington Crescent and River Avenue, a distinguished 51-unit complex comprising of 1-bedroom suites. Thanks to our esteemed collaboration with Cambridge Health Inc., 20 of these 1-bedroom suites will cater specifically to supported housing for older adults.

This architectural marvel will consist of two distinct buildings: a 10-unit structure exclusively reserved for Cambridge’s residents, and a larger 41-unit building interconnected by a third-floor walkway. This complex will feature an array of amenities including a multi-purpose room, main floor commercial space, fitness facility, a commercial kitchen, and a rooftop patio offering panoramic views of Osborne Village and the Red River.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
from LinkedIn

Coming to Osborne Village in 2025: a harmonious blend of community living and support services!

Proposed for the iconic intersection of Wellington Crescent and River Avenue, a distinguished 51-unit complex comprising of 1-bedroom suites. Thanks to our esteemed collaboration with Cambridge Health Inc., 20 of these 1-bedroom suites will cater specifically to supported housing for older adults.

This architectural marvel will consist of two distinct buildings: a 10-unit structure exclusively reserved for Cambridge’s residents, and a larger 41-unit building interconnected by a third-floor walkway. This complex will feature an array of amenities including a multi-purpose room, main floor commercial space, fitness facility, a commercial kitchen, and a rooftop patio offering panoramic views of Osborne Village and the Red River.

I'm not sure it's an architectural marvel but it's a good use for that site and it'll allow aging in place in the Village. I'm all for that. Good scale too for the village. I would have liked another couple floors but it's better than a one story. Also main floor commercial spreading off Osborne? Hell yeah. The more the merrier. It'd be a great spot for a café or a bodega style convenience store.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:45 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

This architectural marvel....

That's a bit presumptuous of them don't you think? I mean, sure the glass is bendy but, "Marvel".
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Mental health issues, generally, are a symptom of the use of drugs, not necessarily the cause of drug use.
That's just objectively false. A large portion of addictions develop as a result of self-medicating for untreated depression, PTSD, anxiety disorders, mood disorders, etc.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:18 PM

Thanks for breaking up the jibber jabber wags!

IIRC we saw that one come through here a while back. Was noted as looking very suburban, office park like.

Question though. What is that mid-rise rendered in the background?

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Probably an out-sourced Chinese render.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Probably an out-sourced Chinese render.
It's definitely outsourced, they have two way traffic on River Ave. The car right in front of the building is driving the wrong way down a one-way.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 5:33 PM

I know, i know... Dare to dream.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 5:56 PM

Quote:
You can't be serious.
The principal is the same, though like I mentioned the consequence should be tailored to the infraction. Which is why my solution didn't make it a criminal offence but still imposed a consequence. All infractions require a consequence. In the world of addictions and mental health disorders you need both consequences and validation/support. You can't just do one.

Its just like raising kids. There may be a perfectly understandable reason for "poor" behavior. Two kids are playing next to each other and one is trying to take another's toy. The other kids asks and tells the kids not to take but he's not listening so the kids hits and pushes the other kid.

As a parent you have to teach your kid not to hit and they need a consequence, even though they didn't start the issue. Step 1 is the consequence, a time out, they lose the toy they wanted to play with or whatever. After that you need to come back to validate/support the kid and discuss how they had the right to be in a angry because of what happened and find ways that they can better deal with that situation in the future. This builds the understanding that what you did was not acceptable but that why they did it was understandable and work towards better ways to deal with it.

If you just give consequences they will feel defeated and think they are 100% the problem and won't want to change. If you just validate/support why they did what they did then they won't think what they did was something they shouldn't keep doing.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:
from LinkedIn

Must be a really tall building if you can see the Red River from this area?

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Thanks for breaking up the jibber jabber wags!
Exactly. Maybe can we keep this thread on topic instead of focusing on the the ancillary blather? Even if some of the proposed developments are not exactly 'architectural marvels'

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 7:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Must be a really tall building if you can see the Red River from this area?
That is funny. This FOUR storey building is surrounded by a 17 storey, a 13 storey, a 12 storey and two 11 storey buildings. The only view you will get is SE looking over the back lane away from the river.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
That is funny. This FOUR storey building is surrounded by a 17 storey, a 13 storey, a 12 storey and two 11 storey buildings. The only view you will get is SE looking over the back lane away from the river.
Maybe there's a curb on River that's painted red? Red River?

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 9:06 PM

Outsourced the writeup too I guess lol

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
That's just objectively false. A large portion of addictions develop as a result of self-medicating for untreated depression, PTSD, anxiety disorders, mood disorders, etc.
This has been known to the masses for at least 20 years. it's not even debatable. Unfortunately, some still engage in the stigma that all addicts are somehow weak, and guilty of moral turpitude.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan