HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Ugh, even worse IMO. But I guess that's all they can get until Crappy Tire loosens up the property.
Was it not bought or is CT leasing? Would have thought the former.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
That's West Hills, not Brookside West.

How are you finding these PDFs? I don't see them linked anywhere on the city site.
Oops, I have a hard time keeping track of all those subdivision names.

The PDFs were linked from the PAC agenda. They don't include the reports from the planning department though. You'll still have to go to City Hall and pick them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
From what I understand Canadian Tire still owns that building and they do not want any competition in there. So that is going to limit what is really there.. I think Giant Tiger there would be a nice location. a big nicer then the current one in Devon
There are no records of sale shown on the SNB web site, so they may just be leasing the building. As Canadian Tire has a wide selection, I think they would consider GT be to competitors and not lease to them.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:06 AM

Good, The UHaul plans for Main street were rejected. They had no problem with the rental but didn't like the selfstore aspect. Business Freddy North was also against the idea.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamespotting View Post
There are no records of sale shown on the SNB web site, so they may just be leasing the building. As Canadian Tire has a wide selection, I think they would consider GT be to competitors and not lease to them.
The property wouldn't change hands without the new owner getting approval for operating their business there anyways.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Good, The UHaul plans for Main street were rejected. They had no problem with the rental but didn't like the selfstore aspect. Business Freddy North was also against the idea.
Not surprised by this one...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 4:29 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Not surprised by this one...
I am 32, ive lived on the northside of Fredericton for over 30 yrs of my life. Nothing will ever come to the northside, i dont know why, its like we get shunned. Oh well they should just tear that old buildiing down.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
I am 32, ive lived on the northside of Fredericton for over 30 yrs of my life. Nothing will ever come to the northside, i dont know why, its like we get shunned. Oh well they should just tear that old buildiing down.
North Side is thriving just not that area on Main st.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 5:53 PM

North Side is doing well. It should be doing better admittedly, but there is still a lot of activity going on there. Still, losing Zellers and not growing 2NC, as well as not developing that property on Main are big flaws at the moment.

That said, a UHaul self store does NOT fit there. I'd sooner see it go into the old Zellers than go on Main street in such a high profile location. With everything around it, that should be a big Retail spot, but apparently Crappy Tire won't let it go to the people who could do it justice.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 2:35 AM

Has anyone got a whiff of the area downwind from the dump now that they're burning off that methane? The reek is almost as bad as Saint John. There goes our roses and botanical garden allure

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
North Side is thriving just not that area on Main st.
North Side is doing well as a suburb of the South Side. Commercially it's really underdeveloped, and the business in the city seems to all want to be on the South Side.

I'm also really not sure why Canadian Tire thinks paying for an empty building constantly is such a good idea.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedHaligonian View Post
Has anyone got a whiff of the area downwind from the dump now that they're burning off that methane? The reek is almost as bad as Saint John. There goes our roses and botanical garden allure
Well it is a dump.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
Well it is a dump.
ENERGY
LANDFILL TURNING TRASH INTO CASH
BY STEPHEN LLEWELLYN LLEWELLYN.STEPHEN@DAILYGLEANER.COM13 DEC 2012 10:54AM
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Wednesday to officially open the $6.4-million landfill gas-utilization plant at the Fredericton Region Solid Waste Commission, and electricity from the facility began flowing into the province’s power grid.

I've noticed the smell as well, you can generally smell the landfill in Lincoln anyway but it has been even more noticeable lately.

The article makes it sound like they had already worked on taking care of the smell issue and are now making money (and power). Usually money doesn't smell this bad... or power!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
ENERGY
LANDFILL TURNING TRASH INTO CASH
BY STEPHEN LLEWELLYN LLEWELLYN.STEPHEN@DAILYGLEANER.COM13 DEC 2012 10:54AM
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Wednesday to officially open the $6.4-million landfill gas-utilization plant at the Fredericton Region Solid Waste Commission, and electricity from the facility began flowing into the province’s power grid.

I've noticed the smell as well, you can generally smell the landfill in Lincoln anyway but it has been even more noticeable lately.

The article makes it sound like they had already worked on taking care of the smell issue and are now making money (and power). Usually money doesn't smell this bad... or power!
Is this type of project being done in other areas already??

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
Is this type of project being done in other areas already??
This is the first in NB and I think the maritimes, but definately is being done in other areas in North America. I think it is more common in areas with GHG regulations in place, which dont currently exist in NB.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:52 PM
ハルウララ

Because my constant attempts at peer-pressuring Fredericton forumers into photographing their projects has failed

Beaverbrook Street:

Northside:

Oromocto (Miramichi Road SW of TCH):

Downtown Fredericton:

All photos by me and can be found on Flickr.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 8:14 PM

I'd take pictures, but I'm usually on the bus, or travelling after work whence it's dark.

Nice pics though. Hopefully this winter will stay cold enough for the Killarny Cup.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 8:29 PM
The Sheriff

What do you want pictures of ? I can take some pictures of Zellers in the brookside mall if you want ? Perfect time to take pictures while on the bus unless you arent buddy buddy with the bus drivers then you will be deined lol

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 8:44 PM
ハルウララ

Of construction like what I had posted, amongst others. It would be awesome for those of us who aren't in Fredericton every day to get an update on things. I don't think we saw any photos at all of the convention centre construction. That being said, the amount of construction currently ongoing in Fredericton is impressive.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Of construction like what I had posted, amongst others. It would be awesome for those of us who aren't in Fredericton every day to get an update on things. I don't think we saw any photos at all of the convention centre construction. That being said, the amount of construction currently ongoing in Fredericton is impressive.
Nice pics, I hope to get out and take a few one of these days.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 5:37 PM

I have a question for someone here in the Freddy forum. What is the size of the H&M store (sq footage, in relation to other retail stores, etc.) at Regent Mall? We recently had a discussion in the St. John's Retail thread about the possibility of H&M coming to town, but the general consensus is that there currently isn't a large enough space for them to set up shop. It seems like the smallest size for H&M would be in the 10,000 sq ft range.

Cheers!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces