HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 4:26 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
800 m is extremely well supported. I'd expect people on this board to know about this kind of stuff, but since we're starting from zero, please read something like this: https://tram.mcgill.ca/Research/Publ...rvice_area.pdf

Based on how far people tend to walk, 800 m all but ensures that most people living (including all things we do while alive) on top of the line will use it. 800 m spacing puts every stop a five minute walk from every location along the line, assuming the line follows a walkable route.

This means the line can sustain a dense urban environment along its length.

There are many places--suburbs, mountainous cities, totalitarian countries--where metro stops are much further apart. These tend not to support sustained, dense urban environments.

Again, if you prefer towers in suburbia over sustained urbanity, that's your prerogative. I feel like living in the kind of suburban tower megadevelopments found in places like Vaughan and Burnaby would be a kind of prison. I like Bloor more than Lawrence. I like Yonge south of Eglington more than I like it north of Eglington. Both areas I like have stop spacing around 500 - 600 m.

Given the assumption that transit development is, in part, a carrot for development, the vast distances between stops out in the suburbs don't make the case you think they do because they'll never support anything I'd live near. I'd find trains zooming by just out of reach extremely frustrating. Anecdotally, I know people who lived in DC--in dense, urban neighbourhoods that predated their metro service--and hated that the metro passed beneath their feet but didn't offer meaningful service.

You may like that though. If this comes down to a difference of taste, that's fine.

But if you agree that transit should support continuous, dense, walkable urbanity, you should know that 800 m stop spacing does so. And, on a macro scale, that's what gets the most riders.

That's a very nice paper but problem is that you're mis-using it. That type of analytical research paper is simply intended to provide facts rather than make arguments. It's up to you to cite facts within such resources to inform and reinforce your own arguments, not just cite the paper as if it was making the argument for you because it isn't. That would be an argumentative essay which complies info from various sources to support its arguments rather than providing primary research. That's a very different thing. You can find such supported prescriptive arguments about urban transportation in resources such as the books Human Transit by Jarrett Walker, Strap Hanger by Tasas Grescoe, and Walkable City by Jeff Speck, all of which I happen to own.

One issue is that the paper just says 800m is the area where most people will access the station by foot, not that this is what every rapid transit route should be aiming for. And it isn't necessarily what you should be aiming for when covering longer distances when the goal is providing reasonable travel times across all or most of the route. It all comes down to the location being served. In fact, the paper specifically says "service areas around transit stations should vary based on the service offered and attributes of the people and places served". You should know perfectly well that there's a big difference between say, a dense location such as a downtown, a medium density urban district, and a low density area. Dense areas are best served by denser station placement at 500m or less which you see in downtown Toronto and Montreal. Medium density areas are best served at about 1km, and in low density areas the spacing can be lower depending on the line, available connections, etc. People are also willing to walk farther for faster and more frequent service than for slower or less frequent service. So if you make stops father apart people are willing to walk farther since the trip is faster.

For example, Jarrett Walker answered a question in his blog from someone who felt 2 miles (3.2km) was too wide of stop spacing for a new BRT route and preferred 0.5 miles (~800m). Jarrett responds below, (bold emphasis added by me)

The last bolded part is very important. Rapid transit, (and RT-like services such as BRT) are about ridership and demand, and that is lower in lower density areas. It isn't about individual access which can be supported by other services. And that also applies to the people in DC who are frustrated about the stop location. There will always be some people who benefit from a transit service more than others because of route and stop locations, but such anecdotes don't recognize all the people who would lose out by having longer, less convenient commutes or the taxpayers who have to pay a lot more.

Also, the reason that there are TOD islands around certain stations isn't primarily due to the wide stop spacing but rather than zoning requirements that allow taller development near the stop and prohibit it farther away. You can see this in places like the GTA where there are highrises not even on rapid transit routes when they're permitted such as Mississauga City Centre, while there are none around other stops that are far from others such as Lawrence on Yonge which is 2km from a stop in either direction. Yet on the same line, North York Centre station was added as an infill station on Yonge in NYCC less than 800m from the next station but that stretch is still composed of highrises along the main drag with detached house suburbia just 200m away.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 6:17 PM

That's all fair except your claim that I'm misusing anything. I've been explicit about what I want: dense urban areas lining metro lines. 800 m stop spacing gets that.

Of course there's a case for longer distances between stops in further-flung areas. But rather than make stops between metro lines further apart, thus sacrificing their ability to create dense urban areas in the city, I'm in favour of layered transit modes.

The original Skytrain lines are S-Bahn-esque--built to cover suburban distances quickly. This is fine for what it is. Was it the best way to build the Canada Line? I say no. Will it be the best way to provide service to Langley? I also say no. But, again, my judgments are based on my taste in cities.

I like to imagine an alternate Vancouver that had invested in quality tram lines in the city, with maybe two extending into Burnaby and New West, while Translink had gone all in on providing WEC service to Surrey, Langley, the north shore, and Abottsford. I like this Vancouver more: it has a wider expanse of dense neighbourhoods in the city and smaller, more pastoral suburbs.

"There will always be some people who benefit from a transit service more than others because of route and stop locations, but such anecdotes don't recognize all the people who would lose out by having longer, less convenient commutes..."

I shared that anecdote not to suggest that these people deserved something that others didn't, but to illustrate that the priorities that left them unserved were misguided. Again, I don't think it's controversial to say that transit planning sometimes prioritizes politics over serving the greatest number of people. Serving the greatest number of people is expressed in ridership. If higher ridership is our goal, we should be serving dense, urban neighbourhoods. They have more people than low-density suburbs. Those people are culturally primed to use transit. Making things worse for more riders in the city, in order to make things better for fewer riders in the suburbs, isn't going to produce more ridership. Denser cities have higher transit ridership. Cities that support dense areas with denser station spacing are denser and have higher transit ridership.

Simply put, if DC had made choices that serve the greatest number of people, why don't more people use DC transit?

You're right about zoning of course. That we find it acceptable to provide extensive public services to endless little private parks and mini car parks, while thousands of others cram into claustrophobic islands of towers, is perverse. So, wouldn't we like to upzone everything along a line? And if we did, wouldn't we like to provide stop spacing that works for everyone living along the line?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 6:29 PM

These cost overruns in Ottawa and Calgary make a great case for building institutional knowledge at scale. It's almost cliche at this point that Europe can build infrastructure cheaper than North America--and it's not as though cost overruns don't happen everywhere--but Europe does maintain institutions that keep roads and railways steadily and predictably progressing.

NA is committed to the idea that the private sector can deliver efficiently. This has no doubt been true in some cases, but it's a free lunch. Whoever gets the contracts builds an institution to deliver on those contracts. This becomes a de facto monopoly. Now, they get to exercise monopoly power.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 7:13 PM

These cost overruns are getting ridiculous.

I think Calgary has made 2 major mistakes in the Green Line. First they are using streetcar technology as opposed to their traditional full LRT ones. These streetcars don't have the same max speed as LRT as well as the vehicles not lasting as long, have lower per-car capacity, and will require a completely new maintenance and storage facility. Second, they decided to tunnel downtown. While tunneling downtown seems like a nice thing to have, it runs counter to what made the CTrain so incredibly successful in the first place. One only has to look at Edmonton to see how Calgary made the right choice of not tunneling under downtown.

Both Cal/Edm starting their LRTs at roughly the same time with roughly the same budget but CTrain still gets triple the ridership because they spent their money on a larger system by using the money they saved by not having a downtown tunnel. The CTrain is as fast as any Metro system and downtown it even runs fairly quickly due to light priority and especially due to travelling on a transit-only street.

Added to this is that the Green Line thru downtown is a very short distance. Calgary's downtown is very east-west oriented while north-south is only a few blocks due to it being hemmed in by the Bow on the north and the rail tracks on the south.

If Calgary would have ditched the tunnel they would not only be on budget but the line would be even longer than what it was suppose to be in Phase #1. Calgary made several poor choices with the Green Line and now they are getting a more expensive line, serving far fewer people, in a lower capacity system, and one that will take longer to build.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 8:09 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
That's all fair except your claim that I'm misusing anything. I've been explicit about what I want: dense urban areas lining metro lines. 800 m stop spacing gets that.
Wait... you want it "lining" a metro line? I guess i didn't get that because it doesn't make much sense. Why is it better to have a "strip" of dense urban area bordered by low density on either side compared to having circular radii of dense urban area surrounding stations? I assumed you were similar to me in wanting density more evenly distributed across the entire city rather than just small areas of density bordered by low density. That's just the exact same thing in a different shape.

If it really was rapid transit that created the type of more uniform density that I prefer then you'd need 5 more Canada lines (with denser stops) spread across the entire city so that the majority of people were within walking distance to a station. But density would need to triple the current level to justify that capacity unless cars were suddenly banned or something.

Quote:
Of course there's a case for longer distances between stops in further-flung areas. But rather than make stops between metro lines further apart, thus sacrificing their ability to create dense urban areas in the city, I'm in favour of layered transit modes.

The original Skytrain lines are S-Bahn-esque--built to cover suburban distances quickly. This is fine for what it is. Was it the best way to build the Canada Line? I say no. Will it be the best way to provide service to Langley? I also say no. But, again, my judgments are based on my taste in cities.

I like to imagine an alternate Vancouver that had invested in quality tram lines in the city, with maybe two extending into Burnaby and New West, while Translink had gone all in on providing WEC service to Surrey, Langley, the north shore, and Abottsford. I like this Vancouver more: it has a wider expanse of dense neighbourhoods in the city and smaller, more pastoral suburbs.
Again, the transit lines don't create that type of development pattern. It's created by demand paired with land-use policies that allow and direct it. A transit system can help facilitate development and transportation goals and can create demand in areas that didn't have it. But in a place that already has extremely high demand that isn't applicable. I do agree with layered transit services which is what i was arguing for to begin with. But what I'm wondering, is if you think that local service like a tram is what's best to provide that type of density, then why are you arguing for it to be provided by something totally different like a metro? Why wouldn't you just treat the metro as the S-Bahn and call for a network of trams to improve local service?

My issue is that a) transit service is mainly about the service being provided rather than the mode used to provide it, and b) it isn't about one area being served with one thing and another area served with something different. Local service and express service is useful to some degree in every area and can be provided by different modes. In Paris, the metro provides a lot of local service because the density is so high that they need the capacity, while stops are very close together since it's local. Meanwhile the RER is very metro-like n centreal areas and has wide stop spacing which provides express service. But they use metro as a semi-local service because of the capacity requirements, not because local service should be provided by metro in general. So in a setting that dense the metro fills the role that would normally be provided by streetcar or bus. Us saying that bus service isn't acceptable for short local trip and people need to be walking distance to a metro stop is like them saying that local metro service isn't acceptable and anyone near an RER line should be walking distance to a stop.

But that layered approach means that sometimes people would use local transit like buses or streetcars to get to faster services for longer distances. The same way that NYC subway has both local and express service on many lines where someone not near an express station can take a local train and transfer onto an express, someone not on a metro (aka express) station can transit to one from a local bus. Yet somehow people think the former is ok but the latter is a problem. Well they're actually both ok.

Quote:
"There will always be some people who benefit from a transit service more than others because of route and stop locations, but such anecdotes don't recognize all the people who would lose out by having longer, less convenient commutes..."

I shared that anecdote not to suggest that these people deserved something that others didn't, but to illustrate that the priorities that left them unserved were misguided. Again, I don't think it's controversial to say that transit planning sometimes prioritizes politics over serving the greatest number of people. Serving the greatest number of people is expressed in ridership. If higher ridership is our goal, we should be serving dense, urban neighbourhoods. They have more people than low-density suburbs. Those people are culturally primed to use transit. Making things worse for more riders in the city, in order to make things better for fewer riders in the suburbs, isn't going to produce more ridership. Denser cities have higher transit ridership. Cities that support dense areas with denser station spacing are denser and have higher transit ridership.
That's partly true but there's more to it than that. People traveling longer distances benefit most from faster modes. People in dense urban areas can more easily take buses, streetcars, bikes, or even walk to many destinations but that's much more time consuming for people traveling further. So the more important speed becomes the longer the journey is, while the more important frequency and stop proximity are the shorter the travel distance. And the further someone is going, the farther they're willing to travel to get to a fast service. That's why you see so many feeder buses connecting to outer suburban metro stations giving those stations higher average ridership than many more urban ones.

So it's both density and the length of the trip that matters. Someone living and working in a dense area is likely not making as many long trips as someone living in a low density area and working downtown. So in a dense area, ridership is driven by the sheer number of potential riders, while in a less dense areas it's driven by a greater need for transportation. The only reason you see lower ridership in less dense areas now is that there's more competition from the car since we've designed most lower density areas to be car-biased.

Quote:
Simply put, if DC had made choices that serve the greatest number of people, why don't more people use DC transit?
Not really a valid question considering that it has high transit usage. DC metro has long had higher transit usage than the Chicago L which has tighter station spacing in a much larger, denser city/metro area. And DC has higher ridership than the subways in its peer cities like Boston and Philadelphia. So the correct question would be why does it have such high ridership if wide station spacing is so detrimental?

Quote:
You're right about zoning of course. That we find it acceptable to provide extensive public services to endless little private parks and mini car parks, while thousands of others cram into claustrophobic islands of towers, is perverse. So, wouldn't we like to upzone everything along a line? And if we did, wouldn't we like to provide stop spacing that works for everyone living along the line?
You're putting the cart before the horse. I already agreed that denser areas warrant a higher density of stops. This whole discussion pertains to areas that you yourself characterized as being low density. The line was built in the context of the existing and planned urban form at the time, not some hypothetical denser form that there was no plan to create. If you want to create uniformly dense urban fabric then you need to address the zoning first. It doesn't make sense to create transit infrastructure in the hope that it'll make density appearing when there's no guarantee that the rules will change to permit it.

If you lift all barriers to density in a high demand region then you'll get skyscrapers regardless of the station spacing. And if you prohibit density then density won't increase. You need policies that specifically allow medium density. There are large parts of Montreal with medium density that are several km from a metro line (much of the north and north east). They would benefit from having rapid transit but they were built and existed for decades with just buses so their existence is clearly possible without everyone being walking distance to a rail station. That's one of the reasons I said that you're missing something. You keep saying you want to create dense urban areas but seemingly miss the fact denser stop spacing of a metro line doesn't do that.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
While tunneling downtown seems like a nice thing to have, it runs counter to what made the CTrain so incredibly successful in the first place. One only has to look at Edmonton to see how Calgary made the right choice of not tunneling under downtown.

Both Cal/Edm starting their LRTs at roughly the same time with roughly the same budget but CTrain still gets triple the ridership because they spent their money on a larger system by using the money they saved by not having a downtown tunnel.
Isn't there a benefit in speed between Edmonton's tunneled segment and Calgary's at-grade downtown section?

While I too understand that Edmonton's Valley Line section through downtown was not tunneled to also save on cost, but the train runs slower through downtown at-grade.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
While I too understand that Edmonton's Valley Line section through downtown was not tunneled to also save on cost, but the train runs slower through downtown at-grade.
I was just in Edmonton to see the "new" downtown Valley stations at grade level. They are already in a sorry state of disrepair, feel dangerous due to the large homeless presence, and smell strongly of urine. It is a mistake to build LRT downtown that is not grade separated.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:11 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
These cost overruns are getting ridiculous.

I think Calgary has made 2 major mistakes in the Green Line. First they are using streetcar technology as opposed to their traditional full LRT ones. These streetcars don't have the same max speed as LRT as well as the vehicles not lasting as long, have lower per-car capacity, and will require a completely new maintenance and storage facility. Second, they decided to tunnel downtown. While tunneling downtown seems like a nice thing to have, it runs counter to what made the CTrain so incredibly successful in the first place. One only has to look at Edmonton to see how Calgary made the right choice of not tunneling under downtown.

Both Cal/Edm starting their LRTs at roughly the same time with roughly the same budget but CTrain still gets triple the ridership because they spent their money on a larger system by using the money they saved by not having a downtown tunnel. The CTrain is as fast as any Metro system and downtown it even runs fairly quickly due to light priority and especially due to travelling on a transit-only street.

Added to this is that the Green Line thru downtown is a very short distance. Calgary's downtown is very east-west oriented while north-south is only a few blocks due to it being hemmed in by the Bow on the north and the rail tracks on the south.

If Calgary would have ditched the tunnel they would not only be on budget but the line would be even longer than what it was suppose to be in Phase #1. Calgary made several poor choices with the Green Line and now they are getting a more expensive line, serving far fewer people, in a lower capacity system, and one that will take longer to build.
I respectfully (but strongly) disagree. Surface running downtown is a terrible mistake - it’s an irritatingly slow milk run. I’m very happy Calgary is tunnelling the Green Line downtown and I hope they follow through on the plan to eventually burry the existing lines under 8th Ave. Edmonton had it right back in ‘78 but now blew it by putting the new line on the street.

I agree with you about the low floor trains - I wish they had gone with the same type of trains as the rest of the system.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:57 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm a bit unfamiliar with the whole Green Line debacle. Seems this was funded and ready to go six years ago. What happened?

Are these costs based on project submissions or just the City's estimates? Is this going to cause further delays, inevitably raising the price even more?

Ottawa's Stage 2 came back 50% more expensive than the bureaucrat's estimate. The City absorbed the cost (because the Feds and Province would never step up) and went ahead. We just agreed to pay even more to the contractors on the supposed fixed price contract, but the public is not allowed to know how much.
Lets see if I can provide a brief high level history of Calgary’s Green Line. I’m totally going from memory here so please don’t take this as totally accurate.

2015-2019
- 3 levels of government commit $1.5B each toward the full 46km line from 160 Ave. North to Seton in the south.
- Schematic design options developed and public consultation.
- Preferred option selected - The Province among others call for a review to confirm the downtown tunnel is feasible for the cost.

- Cost estimates come in high so the line is truncated now running from 16 Ave. North to Shepard in the South (20kms).
- Budget is now $5.5B.

- Cost estimates continue to rise and the strategy now is to build Eau Claire (north downtown) to Shepard in the south (18kms).
- Crossing the river to the north will only be done if there is money left over.
- Line must run to Shepard in the South as that is where the maintenance facility will be built.

2020-2024
- More calls from the Province to halt development on the line until costs can be confirmed (this delay further eroding the scope that can be built due to inflation).
- More rumours that costs are spiralling due to construction cost inflation.
- Enabling works for the line begin and continue.

END OF JULY 2024
- Cost for 18km “Phase 1” has risen to $7.2B.
- City votes to proceed with a severely truncated Phase 1 from Eau Claire (north downtown) to Lynwood in the south (9km ?) eliminating 5 stations, deferring another and bringing 4th St. station up to ground level thus shortening the tunnel.
- Maintenance facility will be required in Lynwood.
- Revised Phase 1 scope now $6.2B with the City covering the additional $700M.

And here we are ….

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 4:22 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I respectfully (but strongly) disagree. Surface running downtown is a terrible mistake - it’s an irritatingly slow milk run. I’m very happy Calgary is tunnelling the Green Line downtown and I hope they follow through on the plan to eventually burry the existing lines under 8th Ave. Edmonton had it right back in ‘78 but now blew it by putting the new line on the street.

I agree with you about the low floor trains - I wish they had gone with the same type of trains as the rest of the system.
It's interesting to hear the experience from the CTrain since I didn't expect it to be overly slow given it's dedicated transit ROW. I checked both the Blue line schedule on the Calgary transit website as well as google maps and it shows that it takes 8 minutes to cross the 2.2km from Downtown West Kirby to City Hall so that works out to about 16.5km/h. I then compared that to Edmonton where Gov Centre to Churchill is about 2km and takes about 4 min which equates to 30km/h. So that's a pretty big difference. But then I also compared to Toronto where it's about 2.3km from Union to Wellesley Station which takes 6 minutes according to google. So that's about 23km/h.

It seems the number of stations makes almost as much difference in speed as being underground since there are only two stations between the start and end station in Edmonton compared to 4 in both Calgary and Toronto. Toronto only gained 6.5km/h over Calgary by being underground with the same number of stops while Edmonton gained 7km/h over Toronto by cutting out two intermediate stops despite both being fully underground in the measured sections. So being underground is definitely faster, but I guess it's up to each person whether the difference justifies the extra cost in this case. Seems like you can gain just as much speed just by having fewer stops, something that would likely have happened if Calgary had followed the Edmonton model considering that underground stations are orders of magnitude more expensive than surface ones.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:00 AM

Quote:

And they are burying a new line that's using low floor train... If they have to have one line underground and another at surface, shouldn't it work better the other way around?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 9:45 AM

^For real. I wonder if it might work out cheaper to keep the Green Line on the surface and bury the older high-floor lines through downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Wait... you want it "lining" a metro line? I guess i didn't get that because it doesn't make much sense. Why is it better to have a "strip" of dense urban area bordered by low density on either side compared to having circular radii of dense urban area surrounding stations? I assumed you were similar to me in wanting density more evenly distributed across the entire city rather than just small areas of density bordered by low density. That's just the exact same thing in a different shape.

If it really was rapid transit that created the type of more uniform density that I prefer then you'd need 5 more Canada lines (with denser stops) spread across the entire city so that the majority of people were within walking distance to a station. But density would need to triple the current level to justify that capacity unless cars were suddenly banned or something.

The point I keep making is that I want sustained urbanity. I agree that multi-dimensional sustained urbanity is better than one-dimensional--but a line of sustained urbanity is better than islands of urban pastiche in the suburbs.

Yes, you would want more lines to get sustained urbanity spreading out in all directions!

Obviously that's a stretch for Vancouver, which is where layered transit would come in.

Quote:
Again, the transit lines don't create that type of development pattern. It's created by demand paired with land-use policies that allow and direct it. A transit system can help facilitate development and transportation goals and can create demand in areas that didn't have it. But in a place that already has extremely high demand that isn't applicable. I do agree with layered transit services which is what i was arguing for to begin with. But what I'm wondering, is if you think that local service like a tram is what's best to provide that type of density, then why are you arguing for it to be provided by something totally different like a metro? Why wouldn't you just treat the metro as the S-Bahn and call for a network of trams to improve local service?

My issue is that a) transit service is mainly about the service being provided rather than the mode used to provide it, and b) it isn't about one area being served with one thing and another area served with something different. Local service and express service is useful to some degree in every area and can be provided by different modes. In Paris, the metro provides a lot of local service because the density is so high that they need the capacity, while stops are very close together since it's local. Meanwhile the RER is very metro-like n centreal areas and has wide stop spacing which provides express service. But they use metro as a semi-local service because of the capacity requirements, not because local service should be provided by metro in general. So in a setting that dense the metro fills the role that would normally be provided by streetcar or bus. Us saying that bus service isn't acceptable for short local trip and people need to be walking distance to a metro stop is like them saying that local metro service isn't acceptable and anyone near an RER line should be walking distance to a stop.

But that layered approach means that sometimes people would use local transit like buses or streetcars to get to faster services for longer distances. The same way that NYC subway has both local and express service on many lines where someone not near an express station can take a local train and transfer onto an express, someone not on a metro (aka express) station can transit to one from a local bus. Yet somehow people think the former is ok but the latter is a problem. Well they're actually both ok.

We're getting excessively nit-picky about something we agree on. Let me try to provide some concrete examples and history so we can agree to agree.

Paris is a funny case because they built one of the first metro services in the world. Old metro lines are weird. Budapest's M1, for example, is just a rickety-ass tram trundling around under the street. And they pretty consistently have denser stop spacing. You could argue that this was necessary given limited omnibus service at the time, but I think it's just that the technology was untested and they didn't know how to deploy it optimally.

Berlin's oldest lines also follow this pattern. The U2, in particular, is a slog for much of its length. It also runs parallel to the cross-town S-Bahn lines through the city centre, with two transfer stations. If your origin or destination isn't in the centre, and you don't mind a transfer, you have a faster, more comfortable option. This is great! It also builds important redundancy into the system--people can count on transit getting them where they need to go if something goes wrong or is closed for repairs.

Here are some stats from Berlin, last year. It's in German but I think you can figure it out. Note that the S-Bahn is run by a different agency and this .pdf doesn't include anything about it.

https://unternehmen.bvg.de/wp-conten...iegel-2023.pdf

Germane to our conversation are Bahnhofsabstand and Haltestellenabstand, coming in at roughly 800 m for U-Bahn and 500 m for trams--and busses. You'll probably notice that busses actually run a bit faster than trams and carry almost as many people as the U-Bahn. Busses are obviously a big part of any successful transit system!

Berlin is a fun cases study because it was overwhelmingly destroyed in WW2, and then two competing, ideologically different states spent decades experimenting on their respective sides of the city. The West replaced trams with busses, high-speed roads, and new U-Bahn lines, and boycotted the S-Bahn. The East restored tram lines and expanded the S-Bahn to serve far-flung tower suburbs.

So, in those stats you'll see busses offering a downgrade to tram service (like in many NA cities), subways offering an upgrade to tram service, and trams just being the trams they always were. I think it's notable that pound-for-pound the tram lines that still exist pull more weight than busses. They also serve urban areas that the communists left to rot. Today, those areas are some of the most desirable while the tower suburbs are ghettos.

Here's a vibrant area served by U-Bahn and tram.

There's another piece of history that matters here that I don't think has a direct parallel with anything that's happened elsewhere. The DDR ran the S-Bahn. Remarkably, they kept running it, with customs stops at the wall, through west Berlin, for decades. West Berliners were obviously not interested in using this service, so they duplicated it with what is today Berlin's longest U-Bahn line, the U7. The U7 cuts a long arc through a variety of central neighbourhoods, before sending long tails into off to the west and south. The route west took it through the massive Siemens industrial estate to a satellite city within the city, Spandau. But in the south, the west made its own attempt at tower suburbs. The result isn't to my taste. But if you look at the satellite view of the area, you'll see that they set stops about 800 m apart and built a sustained dense area along the U7.

If you zoom out a bit, you'll see some tram lines ending near the old wall strip. Eventually, these will be extended westward. If you inspect the areas around the tower suburb, you'll see they're mixed density. Zoning isn't very restrictive here. With the extension of tram service, they will likely densify organically.

It's interesting that both sides felt it necessary to expand the city's footprint, despite the city's population being far smaller than prewar, and both used transit to affect their visions. Obviously land-use planning also affected what came after. There's a reason I pointed out totalitarian governments as a reason for longer stop spacing. Totalitarians hate urbanity and love pastiche. They want to see people isolated in post-card-perfect, postage-stamp-small environments that give way to nothingness. Beyond that is work and only work. This may be the gentlest form of control.

Quote:
That's partly true but there's more to it than that. People traveling longer distances benefit most from faster modes. People in dense urban areas can more easily take buses, streetcars, bikes, or even walk to many destinations but that's much more time consuming for people traveling further. So the more important speed becomes the longer the journey is, while the more important frequency and stop proximity are the shorter the travel distance. And the further someone is going, the farther they're willing to travel to get to a fast service. That's why you see so many feeder buses connecting to outer suburban metro stations giving those stations higher average ridership than many more urban ones.

So it's both density and the length of the trip that matters. Someone living and working in a dense area is likely not making as many long trips as someone living in a low density area and working downtown. So in a dense area, ridership is driven by the sheer number of potential riders, while in a less dense areas it's driven by a greater need for transportation. The only reason you see lower ridership in less dense areas now is that there's more competition from the car since we've designed most lower density areas to be car-biased.
NA cities do face a particular problem in that they've hemmed themselves in with thick rings of car-based suburbia. It's hard to see how to unfuck some of it. At the same time, we can't just build new transit through greenfield and build new dense, urban neighbourhoods. It's a tough problem but I don't accept that we can't do better than pockets of towers wedged in along freeways.

Quote:
Not really a valid question considering that it has high transit usage. DC metro has long had higher transit usage than the Chicago L which has tighter station spacing in a much larger, denser city/metro area. And DC has higher ridership than the subways in its peer cities like Boston and Philadelphia. So the correct question would be why does it have such high ridership if wide station spacing is so detrimental?
Boston and Philly both have really small metro systems compared to Washington. Comparable metro systems, measured by length (208 km) or number of stations (98) have multiples of Washington's ridership.

Even comparing at riders per km/stop, Washington is worse than Boston. SEPTA in Philly is pathetic but I think everyone has always hated SEPTA.

Quote:

You're putting the cart before the horse. I already agreed that denser areas warrant a higher density of stops. This whole discussion pertains to areas that you yourself characterized as being low density. The line was built in the context of the existing and planned urban form at the time, not some hypothetical denser form that there was no plan to create. If you want to create uniformly dense urban fabric then you need to address the zoning first. It doesn't make sense to create transit infrastructure in the hope that it'll make density appearing when there's no guarantee that the rules will change to permit it.

If you lift all barriers to density in a high demand region then you'll get skyscrapers regardless of the station spacing. And if you prohibit density then density won't increase. You need policies that specifically allow medium density. There are large parts of Montreal with medium density that are several km from a metro line (much of the north and north east). They would benefit from having rapid transit but they were built and existed for decades with just buses so their existence is clearly possible without everyone being walking distance to a rail station. That's one of the reasons I said that you're missing something. You keep saying you want to create dense urban areas but seemingly miss the fact denser stop spacing of a metro line doesn't do that.
Do we agree that transit is a carrot for development? I know Translink treats it as such, even baiting developers with infill stations should they build between stops. It seems to work.

In as much as transit does spur development, I think my ramblings about history and real-world systems provide a few demonstrations of the correlations between density of transit and density of city. I certainly don't think it's impossible for areas to develop with sustained density without dense transit coverage.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 3:37 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It's interesting to hear the experience from the CTrain since I didn't expect it to be overly slow given it's dedicated transit ROW. I checked both the Blue line schedule on the Calgary transit website as well as google maps and it shows that it takes 8 minutes to cross the 2.2km from Downtown West Kirby to City Hall so that works out to about 16.5km/h. I then compared that to Edmonton where Gov Centre to Churchill is about 2km and takes about 4 min which equates to 30km/h. So that's a pretty big difference. But then I also compared to Toronto where it's about 2.3km from Union to Wellesley Station which takes 6 minutes according to google. So that's about 23km/h.

It seems the number of stations makes almost as much difference in speed as being underground since there are only two stations between the start and end station in Edmonton compared to 4 in both Calgary and Toronto. Toronto only gained 6.5km/h over Calgary by being underground with the same number of stops while Edmonton gained 7km/h over Toronto by cutting out two intermediate stops despite both being fully underground in the measured sections. So being underground is definitely faster, but I guess it's up to each person whether the difference justifies the extra cost in this case. Seems like you can gain just as much speed just by having fewer stops, something that would likely have happened if Calgary had followed the Edmonton model considering that underground stations are orders of magnitude more expensive than surface ones.
There are actually three underground stations between Government Centre and Churchill, but if you count the University station as part of the underground tunnel (which makes sense since it's all grade-separated from there to Government Centre), then there would be four - University, Gov. Centre, Corona, Bay/Enterprise, Central and Churchill. Regardless, the tunneled section of the LRT definitely helps with average speed of trips.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 5:09 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Boston and Philly both have really small metro systems compared to Washington. Comparable metro systems, measured by length (208 km) or number of stations (98) have multiples of Washington's ridership.

Even comparing at riders per km/stop, Washington is worse than Boston. SEPTA in Philly is pathetic but I think everyone has always hated SEPTA.
You can't just extrapolate the ridership of a shorter system to assume it would increase in proportion to size if the system were longer. People farther out wouldn't use a system that provided them with slow journeys at a similar rate as a faster one. So the reason that DC can extend that far out is specifically because it's a hybrid rather than a specifically urban system the way the other two are. If it worked the way you suggest, you'd expect to see Boston and Philly's ridership extrapolated onto Chicago since the L is also an older, pre-war system with much denser stops than DC while being over twice the length of either Boston or Philly.

The other issue is that it isn't appropriate to measure ridership of an urban system with dense stop spacing the same as you'd measure a hybrid system because the urban systems tend to have greater rider turnover making its numbers look higher when it isn't providing any more transportation. Say you have a line segment that's 1km long with three stations where ten people get on at station A, five of whom get off at station B where 5 new riders get on and all ten get off at station C. That's a total ridership of 15. Then compare that to a 1km long segment with two stations where 10 people get on at stop A and they all get off at stop B. That segment has a total ridership of 10.

Both trains are equally full for the whole km and both provided the same amount of transportation at 10 passenger kms (moved 10 people a total of 1km). But the line with three stations would have 50% greater ridership since half its riders only traveled half the distance of the others. This means that lines with fewer stations that stretch farther from the city centre tend to have fewer passengers rider further. They may be providing just as much or more actual transportation in terms of the passenger km but the numbers don't look as impressive on paper if you choose the specific stat of measuring individual rides. But there's no reason providing more short rides is better than fewer longer rides. On one hand, the urban service with more short rides increases the quality of life for urban residents and visitors, while on the other hand longer rides are likelier to remove cars from the road preventing them from clogging central city streets, emitting pollutants, and creating danger and noise. And each rider is getting more service which counter balances their smaller numbers.

So I don't agree with framing the DC metro's numbers as being weaker by introducing a "percapita" comparison. You can choose a lot of different stats to analyse something and in this case I don't consider that one useful. It's circular reasoning since it's intentionally using stats that favour urban systems as a justification for favouring urban systems without externally justifying the use of that stat.

Quote:
Do we agree that transit is a carrot for development? I know Translink treats it as such, even baiting developers with infill stations should they build between stops. It seems to work.

In as much as transit does spur development, I think my ramblings about history and real-world systems provide a few demonstrations of the correlations between density of transit and density of city. I certainly don't think it's impossible for areas to develop with sustained density without dense transit coverage.
In this context, no. I don't agree that it acts as a carrot for development. That applies only in situations where there wouldn't be enough demand in an area otherwise and in the city proper of Vancouver there would be development popping up pretty much anywhere it was allowed either way. It may be necessary if you want to attract skyscrapers out in some suburban areas but if you lifted restrictions on medium density urban development in Vancouver you'd see developments pop up along any major thoroughfare or anywhere near a transit line. It would absolutely not need to be within 1/2km of a station.

We see a correlation between the density of a city and the density of a transit system either because cities built transit systems appropriate for their built form, or because they direct development in a certain way through other means and build a transit system in anticipation. It's not because they build a transit system based on some sort of transit ideology then build an urban form appropriate for the systems. A lot of it comes down to transit and development being very visible compared to the actual drivers of development which are invisible economic forces and regulatory policies. People see a transit line, see lots of development, then mistake the correlation for causation by assuming the transit line caused the development.

Like with the Yonge corridor. It's easy for someone to look at the highrises stretching way into the distance, recall that it has the oldest and busiest subway route in the country, and conclude that the highrises were caused by the subway. But that isn't true because there are stops such as Lawrence with no highrises and places with skyscraper residential like Humber Bay where the closest subway is over 2km away. So we can tell that in a high demand city, there are highrises where the city allows them and none where they're prohibited. The city chose to allow a lot of highrises on some sites that are close to a subway stop but the development is due to that city choice.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 5:10 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
There are actually three underground stations between Government Centre and Churchill, but if you count the University station as part of the underground tunnel (which makes sense since it's all grade-separated from there to Government Centre), then there would be four - University, Gov. Centre, Corona, Bay/Enterprise, Central and Churchill. Regardless, the tunneled section of the LRT definitely helps with average speed of trips.
Yea I totally miscounted. Shouldn't be posting after 1am I guess lol.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 11:20 PM

Yes, tunnels are nice to have but is it better to have a small downtown tunnel and a much shorter route or save the money on the tunnel and have a much more expansive line serving thousands of more destinations and hundreds of thousands more people?

You also have to remember that for every extra dollar spent on this now small line that is billions not being spent on other key expansions whether that be building out the entire Green Line, other LRT extensions, or more BRT routes. Are these 3 or 4 underground stations actually worth that trade-off?

There has been strong opposition to the Green Line including by transit supporters and enthusiasts. They want the Green Line LRT but feel the way it is being implemented is too expensive and time consuming. Take a look at their alternative proposal at www.greenlineinfo.ca

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Lets see if I can provide a brief high level history of Calgary’s Green Line. I’m totally going from memory here so please don’t take this as totally accurate.

2015-2019
- 3 levels of government commit $1.5B each toward the full 46km line from 160 Ave. North to Seton in the south.
- Schematic design options developed and public consultation.
- Preferred option selected - The Province among others call for a review to confirm the downtown tunnel is feasible for the cost.

- Cost estimates come in high so the line is truncated now running from 16 Ave. North to Shepard in the South (20kms).
- Budget is now $5.5B.

- Cost estimates continue to rise and the strategy now is to build Eau Claire (north downtown) to Shepard in the south (18kms).
- Crossing the river to the north will only be done if there is money left over.
- Line must run to Shepard in the South as that is where the maintenance facility will be built.

2020-2024
- More calls from the Province to halt development on the line until costs can be confirmed (this delay further eroding the scope that can be built due to inflation).
- More rumours that costs are spiralling due to construction cost inflation.
- Enabling works for the line begin and continue.

END OF JULY 2024
- Cost for 18km “Phase 1” has risen to $7.2B.
- City votes to proceed with a severely truncated Phase 1 from Eau Claire (north downtown) to Lynwood in the south (9km ?) eliminating 5 stations, deferring another and bringing 4th St. station up to ground level thus shortening the tunnel.
- Maintenance facility will be required in Lynwood.
- Revised Phase 1 scope now $6.2B with the City covering the additional $700M.

And here we are ….
Thanks for providing this breakdown. Someone posted a video of Nenshi's explanation on RM Transit Discord the other day that explains it well (assuming he's not distorting the details for partisanship, though he doesn't seem the type).

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-Dvi...ZDM3Y3g1MWM%3D

Sounds like a lot of Provincial interference by the UPC. Reminds me of Hamilton and Quebec City, but worse.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Generally pretty good. It looks awesome and really adds an urban feel to more of central Edmonton.

“We are seeing over 100,000 trips a day on the Valley Line and that’s been growing month over month,” Rutherford said.

Overall, considering all modes of public transportation, ridership reached 5.3 million in May 2024, “which is phenomenal,” Feldman said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10564914/...ndemic-levels/
Quote:
Alstom Canada (@AlstomCanada)
This spring, the @CityofEdmonton’s Valley Line SE celebrated its first half birthday! Ridership has grown from 138,000 monthly riders in Nov. 2023 to 223,000 monthly riders in April 2024. We couldn’t be happier to play a small part in bringing this great new #YegTransit option!
https://x.com/i/status/1819106805512880159

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:12 PM
Community Guy

^hmmmm... well then.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:24 PM

Yeah, those numbers for the Valley Line make more sense. Pretty impressive jump from November to today, and I assume the latest numbers are from this summer. Imagine once school starts up again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada