HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 4:58 PM

Every time they jump the 56 Street crane now they move the cam to show it. The money shot is the ground action on the 56 street cam. Now we get to watch as floor 9 at 187' 3'' comes to life.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:02 PM

Originally posted by NYGuy

I love that phrase "PHYSICAL CULTURE"... It's so turn of the century blue-blood.

Ball State Univ. Digital Media Archives

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:25 AM

I'm not, not have I ever, been afraid of heights, but living up there would seriously be nerve wrecking sometimes. WAY too high up to feel homy IMO. What do y'all think?

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:28 AM
Gigatall Skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I'll start by saying... I am not an engineer.

Ever since this building's design was made public I thought, "Crap, that's tall and skinny!" I know, I know... it's not going to fall over. A couple engineer friends have reassured me of this, as have several engineers on this forum.

So anyway, in my own little head I've since observed the column width and placement of many other skyscrapers. Long story short, these columns are REALLY thick and REALLY close together. Plus, they have a lot of rebar and the concrete is 10,000 psi or something like that. So even though it's going to be really tall and really skinny, I'm beginning to feel comfortable with the fact that this building is not going to blow over with the first signs of an early autumn breeze.

The end.
It's a pretty solid building, and that's why I like to think of it as a long, thin concrete-covered nail cemented into the ground. The forces of nature can't topple 432 Park Avenue.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:57 AM

Concrete is good at resisting wind loads. It's heavy and it's resilient. It's very much like the stone covering the Empire State Building. It won't sway very much. However steel is much more flexible. That was why the Twin Towers required a hat truss to resist the wind load. Otherwise the Twin Towers would have swayed so much that it would not have been usable.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:57 AM
Fourth and Main

I love this building. Those views are amazing and it looks even better as it rises.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 12:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
I am not a person to whine a lot, but I am certainly glad to see that the 56 Street cam is now aimed where it should have been all along: at the 56 Street ground level action. Somebody listened; thanks to that person responsible.
They're going to have to adjust it eventually. They're going to have to adjust them all, or move the cams higher up. But there's only so high they can go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
Originally posted by NYGuy

I love that phrase "PHYSICAL CULTURE"... It's so turn of the century blue-blood.
That's one aspect of the building they had to get approval for.

Also, note how the lower floors have changed from this drawing, where the open space began at floors 4-6...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They're going to have to adjust it eventually. They're going to have to adjust them all, or move the cams higher up. But there's only so high they can go.

That's one aspect of the building they had to get approval for.

Also, note how the lower floors have changed from this drawing, where the open space began at floors 4-6...

I might be missing something here but were they counting windows going up. They had it listed as if floors 1 and 2 were part of the lobby floor that is floor 1 only today.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:36 PM

Does anyone know what the potential life span of this building could be? I know concrete is very durable and long-lasting, but does the super strength of the concrete used in this building make it that much more so?

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 5:11 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Well.....

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestan...,_Rome_-_5.jpg

The high density concrete being used offers better protection against water infiltration that would otherwise corrode the rebar-The Pantheon doesn't have any rebar to corrode.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 5:35 PM

The construction lift on the 56th Street side is being worked on and if you look at the 57th Street cam you can see on the 56th Street side the decking being installed to support the pool.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 8:24 PM

Life After People is a good documentary that shows how long concrete buildings like 432 Park Avenue will last. It will probably last a good 300 years with no maintenance.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 8:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

I imagine that in 300 years if for some reason this building had to be taken down, it would take about 23.2 seconds with some precisely directed shrink ray or something else inconceivable by today's standards.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 9:15 PM

I'm not exactly sure where this conversation started, but can anybody on here say how long reinforced concrete can last when it IS maintained? I'd like to hope that with good care these structures could last as long as some of the buildings in the "old world" which are oftentimes 500-600 years old or more.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
I'm not exactly sure where this conversation started, but can anybody on here say how long reinforced concrete can last when it IS maintained? I'd like to hope that with good care these structures could last as long as some of the buildings in the "old world" which are oftentimes 500-600 years old or more.
I've heard a few times it is rebar that kills concrete, not the concrete itself deteriorating. Rebar (treated or not) will corrode to some degree, and destroy the surrounding concrete. Pure concrete (no rebar) stands a much better chance of lasting for centuries.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
I might be missing something here but were they counting windows going up. They had it listed as if floors 1 and 2 were part of the lobby floor that is floor 1 only today.
I'm not sure, the plans have changed a few times. Here's the last look at the way things shaped up on the lower floors, probably changed since...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 4:00 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

I'm really interested in seeing this pool level and how they construct that, I hope the cams give us some good looks at how their going to do that,, that just fascinates the hell outta me. Anybody else wondering how their gonna pull it off? Well you know their gonna pull it off, I just can't wait to see how it's gonna look.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
I'm really interested in seeing this pool level and how they construct that, I hope the cams give us some good looks at how their going to do that,, that just fascinates the hell outta me. Anybody else wondering how their gonna pull it off? Well you know their gonna pull it off, I just can't wait to see how it's gonna look.
What do you mean exactly? Should be pretty simple in regards to the pool, they will build a base to support the pool (which you can already kinda see being done from the 57th street cam) and they will eventually either put in a fiberglass shell or will concrete it (would assume it will be concrete) depending on the plans which we will likely not get to see.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 1:27 PM
New Yorker for life

www.432park.com

(May 10, 2013)

Cam adjusted a bit...

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 1:52 PM

After what seemed like a few days of relative inactivity due to weather, work resumes.

Yesterday, the material hoist grew a little. Workers contrauct what looks to me like a loading dock in front of the material hoist platform. In addition, yesterday, oak timbers were placed along side to the east of the hoist platforms.

Today the timbers were decked over, and a ramp constructed. The second concrete pump that had been placed to the east of the material hoist presumably will be the new concrete recieving point, replacing the previous delivery point that was located adjacent to the crane tower. That pump is presently covered with a tarp. In front of the previous concrete delivery point, an excavator was opening up a cavity there (evidenced by the red barricade seen at the bootom left of the cam view.

Today also, the 57 Street crane is being jumped, and the 57 St exterior form has risen to full-height. Form decking begins to be placed for floor level number 9, with formwork for the pool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive