HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:50 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Thanks for the insights as always Cory. What are your (or anyone's) thoughts on maybe putting some high density residential there? You'd have anything you can possibly want to buy within footsteps.
Can't. There are restrictions on building new residential that close to the airport.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Thanks for the insights as always Cory. What are your (or anyone's) thoughts on maybe putting some high density residential there? You'd have anything you can possibly want to buy within footsteps.
Wasn't that initially part of the plan for that site some years back, until the airport area height limits messed with those plans. Or at least that was the theory.

Considering how tall the old stadium was, as well as other buildings like various offices and apartments along Portage, Century and St. James, and the fact that there has never been an aviation incident around there, you'd think there would be plenty of room to build up.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:52 PM

Went to White Star Diner in their new spot on Kennedy today - absolutely packed and line up for take-out orders. Have a hunch they will quite well in this spot. Was running with a staff of 5 including the owner and they were moving. Burgers and homemade fries as good as ever!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Can't. There are restrictions on building new residential that close to the airport.
It can't be an issue of proximity considering that there many people living way closer to the airport than St. James and Maroons. I mean, there are literally homes just off the edge of the runways near Ness.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Cheesecake Factory isn't an anchor in the same way as traditional mall anchors but landing one seems to be treated with a great level of prestige at least the places I have seen them in my travels, almost similar to how development anchors in general are treated. I recall looking at their menu a little over a month ago as we had thought about going there and it was just a crazy no. The food didn't sound bad but when the menu has daily recommended nutritional information on it and just about every menu item is 2-3 times your recommended daily allowed amount, well its hard to justify going there.
Interesting. I've never eaten at CF but I've walked past them many times in the past. I don't really recall seeing what I'd consider "standalone" Cheesecake Factories... the ones I've seen were always tied in to very busy places like major urban department stores or super-regional suburban malls. Following that model, if one were to pop up in Winnipeg, I'd expect to see it actually inside Polo Park, or possibly St. Vital.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:56 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Considering how tall the old stadium was, as well as other buildings like various offices and apartments along Portage, Century and St. James, and the fact that there has never been an aviation incident around there, you'd think there would be plenty of room to build up.
These are Transport Canada rules and nobody has a worse sense of humour. Regulations have changed since those buildings were built much like codes change.

The fact that there have been no accidents recently doesn't mean a damn thing. In fact, geez, did you actually say that?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:35 PM

^ If having a 15 storey building on St. James is in fact a threat to public safety, shouldn't they be moving YWG given that such a thing already exists?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

If you don't understand codes and grandfathering, there is no point in furthering this conversation.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
If you don't understand codes and grandfathering, there is no point in furthering this conversation.
The point you're missing here is that this isn't about grandfathering. It's about whether the airport area development restrictions in their current form are necessary. Developers in this city have said as much.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Fine. Let them argue with Transport Canada. Have fun.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Fine. Let them argue with Transport Canada. Have fun.
It's not Transport Canada. It's the WAA that is the obstacle in this case.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:15 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

And the WAA gets their direction from where?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
And the WAA gets their direction from where?
Not Transport Canada. This is not a safety issue, this is a business issue. WAA won't consent to changes to the development scheme because it doesn't want anything to threaten 24/7 operations.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Regulations regarding 24/7 operations are controlled by Transport Canada.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Not Transport Canada. This is not a safety issue, this is a business issue. WAA won't consent to changes to the development scheme because it doesn't want anything to threaten 24/7 operations.
You can mitigate around the issue with 24/7 airport operations with significant sound isolation on the interior but you will need to well exceed minimum code to pull that off and of course come in at a much higher costing. I remember sitting in the old Winnipeg Stadium and watching the planes as they were on their approaches.

As for Cheesecake Factor it isn't always in malls proper. In Honolua they are street fronting in one of the hotels. Granted it is a busy area in its own right. The other Cheesecake Factor I have a good recollection of was physically in a mall building but had no interior mall accessing as it fronted onto the parking lot.

Also from this old financial info Cheesecake Factory themselves talks about being willing to locate in places outside traditional enclosed shopping malls.

If CF can lineup the right group of companies willing to put the cash into it I think they could developer the Winnipeg Stadium site into an upscale activity mall including Cheesecake Factory, Rec Room and perhaps Dave & Busters, Lucky Strike Lanes and similar type of places but none that directly compete with each other obviously. It would give the site a purpose and be different than what Winnipeg has now without needing to add a lot more traditional retail.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Regulations regarding 24/7 operations are controlled by Transport Canada.
Fascinating, but WAA is ultimately who refused to bend to allow residential development on St. James. I think it was a poor choice on their part.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Good thing you don't operate any airports!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 9:22 PM

Back to restaurants, does anyone know if Browns Socialhouse is still a go at Portage and Donald?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Fascinating, but WAA is ultimately who refused to bend to allow residential development on St. James. I think it was a poor choice on their part.
I could be wrong but it might be a case more of WAA being faced with real and tangible costs if the development restrictions in St James are changed for things like updating their noise studies on the flight path but the developers not willing to step in and cover those costs.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
Back to restaurants, does anyone know if Browns Socialhouse is still a go at Portage and Donald?
Article in the Free Press March 27/17 said it should be open in a few weeks if not sooner.

Last edited by cllew; Apr 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: add article date

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan