HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 2:35 PM

Corner Canyon High School opened to larger enrollment than they anticipated. Over 1900 students. Three mobile classrooms were brought in to help alleviate the higher than anticipated number of students. Apparently a good number of charter school students decided to go to the new high school. Many parents weren't too happy with the fact that mobile classrooms were brought in.

Funny thing, I grew up in St. George and when Snow Canyon High School opened it was the opposite. Everyone was so entrenched in their Pine View vs Dixie rivalry that no one wanted to go to the new high school. I was in the 2nd graduating class from Snow Canyon, the class before was about half the size of mine.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 9:45 PM

oops

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
3900 south-ish

Looks kinda nice.
Looks great! Very stylish and contemporary!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 10:18 PM

These are just around the corner from the Meadowbrook TRAX Station and are being built by the housing authority. Seems like a good development.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 10:59 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Are those the new housing going in in Murray just north of Fireclay?

Also the other day I notice a 3-4 story building going up on redwood rd just south of 11400 s. Looks to be an office building, maybe for the IHC clinic just north of it.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:10 PM

The IHC Clinic on Redwood and 11400 South is expanding into that structure next to it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 10:20 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

No those aren't the one at Fireclay.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 10:57 PM

I believe that it is this development near 3900 S. West Temple: http://budbaileyapartments.com/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 11:18 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
No those aren't the one at Fireclay.
North of fireclay.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 6:55 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
North of fireclay.
Technically yes, the ones pictured above are north of Fireclay, but are in no way connected or adjacent to Fireclay. Those pictured are at 39th S, while fireclay is approx 44th S

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
3900 south-ish

Looks kinda nice.

I LOVE this.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 4:58 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Snowbird opens scenic mountain coaster
By Keith McCord KSL.com

SNOWBIRD — A roller coaster that gives riders control of their speed opened Saturday at Snowbird Ski Resort.

The ski resort celebrated its grand opening of the new mountain coaster, on which riders take a twisting and turning ride through the trees, using a simple control to slow down or speed up their ride.

Once belted into the two-person cart, riders are pulled 160 feet up a ramp before gravity takes over and carries the cart down the mountain. A second passenger adds more weight, making the coaster glide faster over the track.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26675474&nid...cid=featured-3

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 6:40 PM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Love it. Love it. LOVE IT! It's awesome driving past those homes.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 9:18 AM

Looks like West Valley City tried to force its new zip code name onto Kearns and lost big time! Most Kearns folk i've heard from don't want to be associated with "Worst Valley City" and are mad that WVC has annexed and eaten up big portions of the townships tax income base. The majority of Kearns citizens prefer their Salt Lake City mail address.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56...84118.html.csp

also, from what i've read in the history of WVC book, the name West Valley was suppose to be a temporary name used as the area pushed for incorporation. Before the city was incorporated, votes were held for name suggestions, Oqurrih City was the popular choice but many said it sounded to close to another word, and feared the city would be made fun of so they pushed through with West Valley City on the record, with the open idea that the name could be changed if the citizens wanted. I think its time to bring this to public attention and change the name. The name West Valley City lacks character and a new name would help change the city's image and could be a huge PR move as they clean up the city and its corruption.

Any name suggestions?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 5:45 PM
Bring out the cranes...

"Worst Valley City"? And what's so great about kearns? Seem to me they have just as big of an issues with gangs and crime. Driving in the "city" it's run down and ghetto-ish. Funny they don't want anything to do with West Valley in fear of giving them a poor image, but their image now isn't that great. What has kearns done lately to try to fix up their image? At least West Valley has spend millions in with the whole Fairbourne development, the mall has under gone a huge makeover. That whole area now has changed and I feel safe taking my kids there. Meanwhile I haven't really seen any major development in Kearns.
I think it's too late to change the city's name that's been around for 30+ years. It would just be too wield now to have to call West Valley something else.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 6:01 PM

Sorry, I couldn't help this:

What has kearns done lately to try to fix up their image?

Voting to not be associated with WVC.

Of course, Kearns has tried to do things yet, when plans are made, WVC annexed the areas, stripping the land from Kearns. The last plan that Kearns had for updates, the land was taken by Taylorsville when they incorporated. This stopped any chance that Kearns had of incorporating due to the lack of commercial and warehouse space left in the area.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 6:35 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Sorry, I couldn't help this:

What has kearns done lately to try to fix up their image?

Voting to not be associated with WVC.

Of course, Kearns has tried to do things yet, when plans are made, WVC annexed the areas, stripping the land from Kearns. The last plan that Kearns had for updates, the land was taken by Taylorsville when they incorporated. This stopped any chance that Kearns had of incorporating due to the lack of commercial and warehouse space left in the area.
Fine by me they choose not to associate with WV. As you said they have a lack of commercials, offices, entertainment that all they can offer us are just more Ghetto neighborhoods. Funny they treat us like we are some kind of disease and want nothing to do with us, but I see them stopping at our mall and shops, coming here for their entertainment. ( and that's fine and all, thanks for your sales tax )
Kearns should just become part of either West Jordan, West Valley or Taylorville. Kind of silly having a small town right in the middle of three bigger cities.

And tell me what's so bad about WV? Police? City's fixing that. Gangs? There's gangs in Kearns too, so get over yourself.
West Valley has a hell a lot more to offer then Kearns ever will and if your just going to whine about other cities buying up land around Kearns then that's Kearns issue.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 7:11 PM

I don't have any issue with Kearns nor WVC.

Annexing land isn't purchasing it. It is used primarily as an economic engine to spur growth. It is also used as a means to stop others from developing the land without their approval.

No city will annex an area that is greater than 70% residential let alone the 90%+ that Kearns is. That is why you will see some city limits that go down a road, bypassing the residential areas on both sides of the road, as they grab that sweet commercial area.

Instead of wall to wall cities, we should encourage all cities in Salt Lake County to join with Salt Lake City. This would be the best for the city as it would actually lead to more business growth as the city size would increase. Far to many companies use city size for their location choices.

Also, the whole vote that WVC requested from the post office is to do with the upcoming taxation of online purchases. Tax revenue will be sent to the city based on the zip code. If a zip code is listed as WVC, they will receive the tax revenue for all applicable online purchases shipped to the zip code.

This will have far reaching effects as one of the zip codes that was changed from SLC to WVC is roughly 40% South Salt Lake. Now, when online purchases are taxed, South Salt Lake will not see the appropriate revenue as it will go to WVC.

I think that each city needs to stop bickering with another and actually work together to build a better environment. No more fighting to get the next Wal-mart but plan together to locate near transit to benefit all people in the area.

This is starting to happen with the 2040 plans that have been agreed to by the cities along the Wasatch Front. Hopefully the next few years we will see some significant changes which will help to stop much of the infighting.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 7:46 PM

Thanks Makid -- you said all that much more rationally than I would have. As a Kearns resident (albeit a somewhat reluctant one) it has been frustrating to see any hope of a tax base stripped away, on one side by West Valley City, and on the other by Taylorsville. I genuinely want the best for WVC -- I think it's doing a lot of things right right now. I know a lot of my neighbors that were most vocal about the ZIP code change are carrying grudges due to the rapacious actions of the past, not the upcoming online purchasing taxes; that said, I'd really rather have my tax dollars go to "Unincorporated Salt Lake County," Salt Lake City, or just about anyplace else but WVC, unless I'm purchasing things IN WVC. Which I do a lot of. But if WVC isn't going to offer any services in exchange for tax dollars on things I buy at home? No.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 9:00 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Here is a point that many people don't take into consideration when talking tax dollars, annexations and incorporations. Jedi, I'm just using this as an example because you stated that you live in Kearns, but the same think applies to places like Lehi and Saratogo Springs/Eagle Mountain.

Just because someone chooses to not live in one particular city, such as WVC or Lehi, doesn't mean that they don't impact the expenses of the city. WVC and Lehi have to deal with the impact of Kearns and Saratoga Springs residents as they drive through their city, using that cities roads of which the taxes collected by those cities pays for.

This is just one example of how a geographic border for taxing purposes isn't entirely effective at paying for services within that same geographic border.

WVC can't simply annex whatever it wants without consent of the property owners being annexed, simply because it wants to increase it's tax base. If those commercial areas of Kearns didn't want to be annexed in to WVC or West Jordan then they could have voted no, or not signed the annexation petition. No not all the property owners have to be in favor, but a majority do, so obviously WVC or W Jordan looked like a much better option for the majority of the land owners.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West