HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 9:49 AM
TL;DR

Have you seen the sidewalks in this town? It's not a viable alternative for cycling - massive tree roots and crappy drainage sabotage the sidewalks as fast as the city can build them. Plus, the city never thought it was important to build sidewalks and curbs on every street, so even in the nicest neighborhoods there are still blocks with open ditches looking for all the world like Hicksville, MS.

More generally, cyclists don't use sidewalks because a bike is wide and a sidewalk is narrow, and because moving bikes are a pedestrian hazard. Anybody that wants to use their bike as a legitimate means of transportation (and not a big toy) will be frustrated at constant curbs they have to jump over and constant traffic they need to wait for in order to cross the street. For similar reasons, side streets are unsuitable for bikes, because nobody wants to stop at every block. The two choices are to break the law by ignoring the stop sign, or to use a major roadway with a continuous flow of traffic.

St Charles specifically has a very wide lane and then a parking lane that almost nobody uses. Plus, traffic speeds are already fairly low and the pavement is good. Cyclists here should be far to the right, where they can stay clear of cars and still travel at a decent speed (or a slow one if they prefer).

New Orleans and many other American cities exist at a low density where walking to work and walking for daily errands just isn't feasible. Only a limited amount of transit service is cost-effective and there's little demand for improving the frequency or quality of the bus transit system. On the other hand, density isn't low enough that there's tons of space for parking everywhere like in the suburbs. Bikes are the obvious solution, since they can be stored in compact areas and they're good for traveling medium distances that are too far to walk but too short to drive.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:01 PM

3629 Prytania

Not the biggest deal, but I drive by this building and hate it on a daily basis.

Saw a $900,000 contract listed in CityBusiness and it was commercial with the owner being "Blue Moon Enterprises" which is listed at 3706 Prytania...which happens to be the new Italian Pie. Wonder what they're going to do with it...another restaurant? From what i know the owners are in the medical field, but own at least that Italian Pie and other stuff on the side.

Anyway, it's 3629 Prytania, the ugly white building next to Coulis. Going off their renovation of the Italian Pie it should turn out nice compared to its current state.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3629+p...899,-90.093918

ALso, the new Italian Pie has a 3 for 1 happy hour which is fantastic. You can get drunk for about $10. And the interior of the building is very well done, lots of wood...but the booths are kinda goofy.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:11 PM

Frostop

Alright, it's not exactly development....but WOO HOO!!!!!

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...-side-up-again

Quote:
Ted’s goes “frostop-side-up” again

People who might have spotted the giant mug sign from Ted’s Frostop (3100 Calhoun St., 861-3615) being loaded onto a flatbed and trucked away one day last fall could be excused for thinking they’d witnessed the end of an era. In fact, it was part of a new chapter for a long-running legacy.....

Pics by Ian McNulty

Last edited by IceCream; Dec 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 7:29 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Not the biggest deal, but I drive by this building and hate it on a daily basis.

Saw a $900,000 contract listed in CityBusiness and it was commercial with the owner being "Blue Moon Enterprises" which is listed at 3706 Prytania...which happens to be the new Italian Pie. Wonder what they're going to do with it...another restaurant? From what i know the owners are in the medical field, but own at least that Italian Pie and other stuff on the side.

Anyway, it's 3629 Prytania, the ugly white building next to Coulis. Going off their renovation of the Italian Pie it should turn out nice compared to its current state.
Awesome. Here's hoping they rip that front part off and cut it back to the old house behind, with a big porch like Cafe Luna.

On a side note, I miss Bluebird. Coulis is not as good.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:36 PM

Saenger Theatre Back on Track

So I have to admit I was starting to worry about the Saenger Theatre ever finishing up renovations, but it sounds like they've jumped a final hurdle here. I can't wait!

http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...aul_break.html

Quote:
After months of painstaking negotiations with lenders, New Orleans officials announced Thursday that the stalled renovation of the Saenger Theatre on Canal Street is set to resume in January in anticipation of a spring 2013 opening, more than a year later than originally planned. Mayor Mitch Landrieu held an afternoon ceremony heralding the return of a landmark that long anchored the performing-arts district along the city’s signature commercial boulevard.
And I hadn't heard this before, but it's good to see the city was actually thinking ahead so that they've gotten something done in this time.
Quote:
Lawmakers voted to extend the program through 2016, and Gov. Bobby Jindal signed the bill into law in July. Anticipating that action, the city agency overseeing the renovation agreed in March to advance the development team $1.1 million to resume interior electrical, foundation and demolition work and elevator installation. That work was completed about two weeks ago.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:55 PM

Yep. And Joy officially opened yesterday. Add in the new hotel renovation next to the Ritz plus the bioinnovation center and 1031 canal. The Canal street revitalization has officially started!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 6:34 PM
-

Looks like Tiffanys is rumored to be going into the old Kenneth Cole spot

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 7:52 PM

Tiffany

Tiffany--wow, I can only dream! But what that says about New Orleans and the region, and Canal St in particular. Looks like Canal is shaping up to be the premier shopping destination.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Looks like Tiffanys is rumored to be going into the old Kenneth Cole spot
I would definitely want to see stores like Tiffany's on Canal Street. Did Kenneth Cole have an outdoor entrance? I go to Canal Place a lot I just can't remember.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 7:17 PM
-

No they didnt but Im sure the new store could.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 6:46 PM

Lindy Boggs

Could someone with a CityBusiness subscription fill me in on the setbacks facing the St. Margaret's renovation of the old Lindy Boggs center? They started some demolition last spring, but there hasn't been activity since and it keeps getting worse with grafitti, broken windows, etc. Just interested in finding out what is going on now with it.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...n-made-damage/

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
That's great and all, but why should I have to drive 5 miles an hour just so cyclists can enjoy the view of the mansions of St. Charles avenue from the middle of the street? Your answer makes sense, it's really the inconsiderate nature of some of the cyclists' actions that I'm complaining about. Why can't they just ride on the sidewalk?
Sorry for the late reply, but I haven't been able to get online. Bicycles from my understanding aren't legally permitted to be on sidewalks as sidewalks are for pedestrian use while a bicycle is a vehicle. Also, it is dangerous to ride on sidewalks because in NOLA because of how crappy they are. It's like trying to offroad in a fiat, impractical to say the least.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 5:31 AM

The article stated that two of the annex buildings will soon open with senior apartments, but the main hospital building is still in the planning stages on what to do with it.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 2:34 PM

Updates

The Riverfront Park is finally taking shape, and expected to open by the end of the year. The T-P article says construction's 45-50% complete. http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...t_park_ta.html

City Park's new mini-golf course across from Storyland is expected to open by late Summer. The new festival grounds along Wisner Blvd is under construction and will be finished by 2013. Also, the Splash Park was planned to go next to the Mini-Golf, but is being moved north of Roosevelt Mall for space/parking reasons. http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._golf_com.html

Work on the Convention Center's new entrance has begun. Updated construction pictures can be seen on their facebook page.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 7:08 PM
TL;DR

It also sounds like they cut, cut, cut this project. They got rid of the David Adjaye sanctuary. They cut back the length of the park. Hopefully they're still building the Mandeville Crossing and the Piety Arch so people can get into the park when a freight train is passing. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

What we're left with is a substandard park that you can only get into some of the time, but don't worry, that's okay because there's nothing to see there anyway.

I wonder why Landrieu couldn't find the extra funds to complete the park all the way down to Poland Ave? I'm okay with them cutting the sanctuary - as designed, it was an architectural frippery with huge maintenance challenges - but the park should be as big as the original plans called for, regardless of cost overruns. Anything less is a huge betrayal of the public.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It also sounds like they cut, cut, cut this project. They got rid of the David Adjaye sanctuary. They cut back the length of the park. Hopefully they're still building the Mandeville Crossing and the Piety Arch so people can get into the park when a freight train is passing. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.
If it's any consolation, the length of this phase hasn't been cut. The whole "Reinventing the Crescent" Project is to stretch from Jackson Ave Uptown to the Industrial Canal, but this project is just phase I - from Esplanade to Bartholomew Street. For the exact boundaries of this phase, click below.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=29.961...8&z=16&l=0&m=b

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:26 PM

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...bors_fate.html

Saenger Theater neighbor's fate is mired in controversy

With a $50 million facelift for the Saenger Theater scheduled to resume this month, controversy is swirling over plans for the former La Salle Hotel, the vacant structure that shares a roofline and a facade with the iconic Canal Street playhouse. A nonprofit affordable-housing developer has a purchase agreement for the four-story building at 1113 Canal St. and plans to invest $11.6 million in a restoration.

Really sick of the City councel. Same attitude as with opponents of 1031 canal. "Lets wait until someone else comes along with nicer plans for redevelopment"...Anyone else in line with financing in hand to redevelop this hotel. Yeah right. These guys did a nice job with 200 Carondelet, nothing special but put a historic highrise back in commerce right off Canal street. Why try to stop them from renovating another historic building? Whats shocking is that Canal street is making a real comeback despite our city government. Just imagine if there wasn't so many roadblocks.

Here is the 200 carondolet site http://www.200carondelet.com/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 6:09 PM

Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Sorry for the late reply, but I haven't been able to get online. Bicycles from my understanding aren't legally permitted to be on sidewalks as sidewalks are for pedestrian use while a bicycle is a vehicle. Also, it is dangerous to ride on sidewalks because in NOLA because of how crappy they are. It's like trying to offroad in a fiat, impractical to say the least.
It is absolutely illegal to ride bikes on sidewalks as it's obviously a danger to pedestrians. The cops are ticketing them in the quarter more frequently than they used to. The accidents just kept mounting...and it's not a pretty wreck.

We (YLC's "Where Ya Rack") had an issue with a not-to-be named business owner who didn't like that we had installed a city-approved bike rack on city-property sidewalk outside of his business because he claimed that a bike ride who was riding their bike on the sidewalk would sue him if they ran into it and injured themselves.

We told him that a. that's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, b. its city property, c. we have a legal agreement where the city takes full liability since it's their property (after we donate it to them) installed on their property so no they cant sue you.

But instead of being reasonable he ripped the rack out of the ground and damaged it beyond repair.

People are crazy...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 9:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...bors_fate.html

Saenger Theater neighbor's fate is mired in controversy

With a $50 million facelift for the Saenger Theater scheduled to resume this month, controversy is swirling over plans for the former La Salle Hotel, the vacant structure that shares a roofline and a facade with the iconic Canal Street playhouse. A nonprofit affordable-housing developer has a purchase agreement for the four-story building at 1113 Canal St. and plans to invest $11.6 million in a restoration.

Really sick of the City councel. Same attitude as with opponents of 1031 canal. "Lets wait until someone else comes along with nicer plans for redevelopment"...Anyone else in line with financing in hand to redevelop this hotel. Yeah right. These guys did a nice job with 200 Carondelet, nothing special but put a historic highrise back in commerce right off Canal street. Why try to stop them from renovating another historic building? Whats shocking is that Canal street is making a real comeback despite our city government. Just imagine if there wasn't so many roadblocks.

Here is the 200 carondolet site http://www.200carondelet.com/
This isnt as cut and dry as you think. Im all for redevelopment of Canal Street but think the city might have a point here. Best outcome is city buys the Hotel Lasalle. I think one owner to control the whole block is the best scenario. LHFA members were sent letters by everyone in the city being against this development at this location.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 9:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
It is absolutely illegal to ride bikes on sidewalks as it's obviously a danger to pedestrians. The cops are ticketing them in the quarter more frequently than they used to. The accidents just kept mounting...and it's not a pretty wreck.

We (YLC's "Where Ya Rack") had an issue with a not-to-be named business owner who didn't like that we had installed a city-approved bike rack on city-property sidewalk outside of his business because he claimed that a bike ride who was riding their bike on the sidewalk would sue him if they ran into it and injured themselves.

We told him that a. that's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, b. its city property, c. we have a legal agreement where the city takes full liability since it's their property (after we donate it to them) installed on their property so no they cant sue you.

But instead of being reasonable he ripped the rack out of the ground and damaged it beyond repair.

People are crazy...
Good response is to reinstall not one but three bike racks there.lol

New Items on Bidclerk:
1815705 New Orleans, LA Educational 01/03/2012
Description Site work and new construction of an academic facility in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a high school that will include classrooms, a gymnasium, office space and restrooms. This project is in design developm...Click here for complete Project Details

1815689 New Orleans, LA Educational 01/03/2012
Description Site work and new construction of an academic facility in New Orleans. Design plans call for the construction of a new elementary school that will include classrooms, office space and restrooms. This project is in preliminary design pending furth...Click here for complete Project Details

1815674 New Orleans, LA Educational 01/03/2012
Description Site work and new construction of an academic facility in New Orleans. Design plans call for the construction of a three-story elementary school that will include classrooms, office space and restrooms. The architect has started construction docu...Click here for complete Project Details

457720 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential, Parking Garage, Retail 12/29/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the demolition of an existing building and the construction of a 189-foot tower consisting of 40,000 square feet of ground floor retail, 300 ...Click here for complete Project Details
( this appeasr to be 1031)

Also, Does anyone have any idea whats going in the old O Henrys spot downtown. Saw a liquor notice sign on the door. Will be nice to see that empty space reused!

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations