HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 9:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Anecdotal examples:

LA agreed to add 2,700km of them over 2 years ago at a pace of 320km / year. Sure they started from a weaker base of cycling paths than Calgary but that level of investment is happening across the US. And they are more car-dependent than us by a wide margin.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/03/02/la-bike.html

Here is a smaller city, Eugene Oregon.

35 miles ~56 km. for a city of metro population of 350,000.

http://www.eugene-or.gov/bicycles

Here is a Metro article from this year.

26km of on street bike lanes in Calgary. of a city of 1.2 million people

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/710...nfrastructure/

Yes I think there is plenty of evidence we are falling behind. The progress we have made is admirable, but it has to continue and expand even faster.
I’m all for expanding it. I’d just like us to do it in a controlled and well thought out way, so we end up with good projects that work and don’t have to be redone.* Expand, but do it smart and do it right, iow. I think a passage under the tracks on or near 7th might be more beneficial than X number of added kms of bike lanes, for example. I haven’t crunched the numbers and I don’t know that it would be for sure, I should add, but in general I think we should focus on doing the right projects for Calgary, rather than trying to keep up with added kms numbers from other cities.

*I don’t mind the 10th Ave experiment, however. It was cheap and I’m sure we learned from it. It worked well for me but I guess it didn’t work for other people.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Really? I've popped at least 5 tubes on mine now. I think each time its been the rear tube too. Damn. It is a pretty sturdy bike though.

They are pretty good for a hybrid, but I want a nice carbon fibre road bike next year for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I did it this year and two years ago on the Kona. This year I did really well, but I would get passed on the flats by my friends on road bikes. But then I would crush them on the hills. LOL.

Maybe not the right thread for this, but anyone have recommendations on a good entry-level road bike? I am looking at sub $1500, and I need a big frame (62cm).
In Calgary, rear flats are usually pinch flats from small pieces of gravel. The best avoidance is ensuring tire is always inflated, even slightly over inflated. I average about a flat per day doing road rides around southern Alberta. Down in the Seattle area, I might get one every couple of months.

Carbon fibre is a waste of money unless the rider has very low body fat. The benefits from losing 5 lbs of body weight vastly exceed those of shaving 5 lbs off the bike. The gear is rarely the rate limiting factor. That being said, mountain bikes aren't designed for long road rides. A Giant OCR1 is a good value choice road bike.

I did the Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2010, but haven't had time since. I still do the trip back to Calgary every year for the May Long Weekend Golden Triangle.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Painted lanes aren't any safer than no lanes. But is the perception of safety worth it?
Especially in Calgary where the paint is hidden under pea gravel, salt and dust for large portions of the year. The curb separation on 7th is the ideal solution in Calgary's climate. A cheaper and more flexible option would be rumble strip separation.

Last edited by Doug; Sep 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
I’m all for expanding it. I’d just like us to do it in a controlled and well thought out way, so we end up with good projects that work and don’t have to be redone.* Expand, but do it smart and do it right, iow. I think a passage under the tracks on or near 7th might be more beneficial than X number of added kms of bike lanes, for example. I haven’t crunched the numbers and I don’t know that it would be for sure, I should add, but in general I think we should focus on doing the right projects for Calgary, rather than trying to keep up with added kms numbers from other cities.

*I don’t mind the 10th Ave experiment, however. It was cheap and I’m sure we learned from it. It worked well for me but I guess it didn’t work for other people.
Everyone agrees that cities should build the right infrastructure.

Bike lanes are the right infrastructure and there are many roads, where we can give dedicated space to cyclists without impacting parking or car travel. 10th ave is one of them. There is no reason there shouldn't be full lanes on 10th ave, everyone wins. 2 parking lanes, 2 cycle lanes and 2 auto lanes. No car ever has to give up space. Instead we got 1 lane for 3 hours a day that is full of parked cars resulting in more dangerous situations than if no lane had been there. Complete failure and creates the annoyed driver attitude of "the cyclists aren't even using the lanes!".

If that is Calgary's "right" infrastructure we are farther behind than ever.

I do agree with a slow, thought-out approach in the CBD though. Conflicts are everywhere and the best route has to be chosen the first time. 7th street is brilliant and really well used.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Especially in Calgary where the paint is hidden under pear gravel, salt and dust for large portions of the year. The curb separation on 7th is the ideal solution in Calgary's climate. A cheaper and more flexible option would be rumble strip separation.
I agree. Faded paint seems to be a serious problem in Calgary. Even put planters down with reflective markers and move them from street cleaning / snow plowing would do the trick.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 1:39 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Re: Bike Lanes/Cyclists/Bike Culture Discussion

I think it is hard for anyone to understand why cyclists act the way they do, why they want the infrastructure they do and why they have the behaviors they do until the actually get on a bike and cycle through the city.

Cyclists are not pedestrians and they are not vehicles. Their needs are entirely different. Pedestrian infrastructure is absolutely shit for cyclists, as it makes things slow, inconvenient and meandering, while roads can be dangerous. I can rant for a long time just on how crappy curb cuts are in this city. The point is that bike lanes meet the needs of cyclists which neither roads nor sidewalks do. They are necessary, and until you spend time cycling in the city, you just can't understand it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 1:40 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
In Calgary, rear flats are usually pinch flats from small pieces of gravel. The best avoidance is ensuring tire is always inflated, even slightly over inflated. I average about a flat per day doing road rides around southern Alberta. Down in the Seattle area, I might get one every couple of months.
Thanks for the advice. I always keep a patch kit and a spare tube in my bag, but it's hard to keep my tires fully inflated with just a hand pump. I am thinking of buying some C02 cartridges and keeping them with me so I can fully inflate the tubes.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I always keep a patch kit and a spare tube in my bag, but it's hard to keep my tires fully inflated with just a hand pump. I am thinking of buying some C02 cartridges and keeping them with me so I can fully inflate the tubes.
Buy a $25 floor pump from MEC or some other bike shop. Well worth it. I just top mine up every couple weeks. WAY better than a hand pump. I've been commuting 12km/day for 10 years and had one flat...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
....I'd use the bike lane myself if it aligned with my commute, but it doesn't. Edit: I should mention that my observations occur as a pedestrian at the height of the morning and afternoon rush hours. And today at noon I crossed the bike path using the +15 and waited 5 minutes. Hundreds of pedestrians and cars. A couple cross traffic bikes. And zero bikes in the bike lane. Sure, most don't use bikes to go for lunch, but it's the same during the rush hours. Instead of spending a fortune of taxpayer money ripping up the road and pouring concrete barriers I think removable flower pots and a little line painting would have been more $ effective. Perhaps it'll eventually get used, but if it doesn't then we don't have to waste more money changing it back to a road.

Honestly, I think allowing bikes to legally use sidewalks is often the better solution. Perhaps some people don't realize that only people 14 years old and under can legally use a sidewalk as a bike path (at least that's what I was taught in my bike safety course years ago). I think that's really much of the problem. People often assume they know the law when they don't. Sure you aren't allowed to hit a bike, but bikes aren't allowed to take up lanes of traffic, drive side by side, go the wrong way on 1 way streets or run red lights! (please correct me if the laws have changed. With facts though, not just opinions of laws). Perhaps a lawyer in the crowd can clarify things for us about what is and isn't allowed.

If a low speed limit was set on sidewalks when pedestrians were present, and bikers had the courtesy to warn people when they pass then sidewalks are the best option. Sure - there would be conflicts too, but many bikers use sidewalks illegally now anyway.

Your observations must involve a blindfold. I ride that lane every day since it opened, and there are ALWAYS other cyclists on it. ALWAYS. At 7:15 AM, I usually ride with 4-5 through the core. That's every light cycle, not just a fluke. At 4:15pm there are often more than 5. A few days I have taken it at 2pm and was expecting it empty. Not so. Its also not a very busy road traffic wise, and hasn't caused any negative impacts to traffic flow. Its far safer, and I see types of cyclists on it that never would have braved 7th street before with its sketchy left and right turn lanes onto 5th and 6th. I've had to many close calls to count, riding within the law. Its an absolute success.

Speaking of law, cyclists are well within it to take up a lane. The traffic laws state that a cyclist should ride as far to the right as is safe to do so. This often means "taking a lane". Keeping clear of the door zone is very important. As is avoiding gutter hazards and lane crowding. Your suggestion of riding on sidewalks is also absolutely wrong. Do some quick research and you will find out why. Its dangerous for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists. It is by far the worst solution.

It sounds like you mean well with your comments, but I think you need to spend a few days in the shoes of a cyclist. Ride within the law(as many of us do) and just watch how your fellow motorists attempt to take your life every chance they get. . .whether on purpose or not.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 3:37 PM

This discussion is an interesting blame game. Cyclists say motorists are the problem, motorists saying cyclists are the problem. No one wins in the end. We have a long way to go in Calgary before both sides can see the other properly.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
CO2 cartridges have a few problems:
-expensive
-unreliable as you often get ones that are duds
-not great for environment as leave behind a metal canister
-wastefull for only partially filling tires (hard to not discharge entire canister when only need to use it for a top up)

The MEC floor pump is the easiest way to ensure inlfation. My road bike calls for 100 PSI, but around Calgary I use 110 PSI with great success at avoiding pinch flats. You can get compact pumps to carry with you to manage flats and to top up tires. Most of them have two settings: one to rapidly fill tire part way and then a switch for high pressure that requires much more strenuous action to fully inflate. I agree they are a lot of work, but if you get a flat all you need to do is get enough inflation to make it rideable and then use the floor pump when you get home. That works around the city if you are only a few km from home, but if you are doing long road rides, you need to invest the effort in over inlfation or risk getting another flat.

Cities like Denver, Portland and Seattle have inflation stations with free air compressors.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:35 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Buy a $25 floor pump from MEC or some other bike shop. Well worth it. I just top mine up every couple weeks. WAY better than a hand pump. I've been commuting 12km/day for 10 years and had one flat...
Quote:
CO2 cartridges have a few problems:
-expensive
-unreliable as you often get ones that are duds
-not great for environment as leave behind a metal canister
-wastefull for only partially filling tires (hard to not discharge entire canister when only need to use it for a top up)

The MEC floor pump is the easiest way to ensure inlfation. My road bike calls for 100 PSI, but around Calgary I use 110 PSI with great success at avoiding pinch flats. You can get compact pumps to carry with you to manage flats and to top up tires. Most of them have two settings: one to rapidly fill tire part way and then a switch for high pressure that requires much more strenuous action to fully inflate. I agree they are a lot of work, but if you get a flat all you need to do is get enough inflation to make it rideable and then use the floor pump when you get home. That works around the city if you are only a few km from home, but if you are doing long road rides, you need to invest the effort in over inlfation or risk getting another flat.

Cities like Denver, Portland and Seattle have inflation stations with free air compressors.
Thanks for the advice. Will look into getting a floor pump.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 5:54 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Airport Trail Tunnel Pictures from CH2MHill website:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 4:06 PM
BANNED

Here's another good one from the Manning foundation! While I do agree with some of his points, he seems to be implying that sprawl is the solution to reducing congestion/commute times on our roads

I do think we need to start widening some of our main roads though.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...180/story.html

Quote:
Seymour: Why city hall doesn’t care that our roads are congested

BY DAVID SEYMOUR, CALGARY HERALD SEPTEMBER

Crawling traffic is tolerated like almost no other frustration. If home appliances flickered dim every time too many people tried to use electricity, there would be outrage, and yet Calgarians tolerate a 66-minute average round trip commute as though a world without congestion is impossible to imagine.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. What if it was possible to arrive at your destination, point to point, without congestion delay? That seems to be what most people would like. Congestion, roads, traffic and parking is the No. 1 concern of Calgarians, according to a large poll by the Manning Foundation conducted last October, and the City of Calgary’s most recent Citizen Satisfaction Survey.

However, the city has long since given up on such a goal. Despite the 2011 census showing that 77 per cent of work trips in Calgary were made by car (unchanged since the 2006 census), the city’s goals range from avoiding the problem to actively opposing private vehicle travel.

Of seven stated transportation goals in the Calgary Transportation Plan, three involve “reducing the average distance travelled by automobiles,” “reduc(ing) vehicular travel” and “reducing vehicle trip distances.” The other four are a mixture of providing alternative transport modes, changing the shape of the city and, more sensibly, using infrastructure efficiently.

If you’re one of the 77 per cent, then at best the city has forgotten about you. There is not even one goal in the plan that says “reduce commute times for those who choose private vehicle travel.” At worst, the city is practising chief planner Rollin Stanley’s maxim that “congestion is good.”

“What it does in some areas is to force people to slow down,” explained Stanley. “It forces them to think about alternative transit, like biking, walking or mass transit. It also helps retail because people are on foot, and they’re going slower ...”

To be fair to Stanley, that quote is from before he was Calgary’s chief planner, and his madness has some method. The quote finishes: “If you think of any environment that people truly like and want to go to, such as London, Paris or New York — they are congested. They are places where you can’t use your car.”

Forgetting whether most people want or can afford to live in the congested centres of those cities, it seems that city hall has dialed down traffic engineering for a healthy dollop of social engineering.

Putting aside the old-fashioned notion that city policies should align with citizen concerns, is the goal of getting people (other people, of course) out of their cars even viable? The international evidence says that doubling density would reduce vehicle travel by as little as five per cent per person. Twice as many people driving in the same space doesn’t sound like a solution to congestion.

The city hall bureaucrats try anyway, because they believe mobility has reached a high-water mark in history, and must be curtailed. The assumption grows from the old beliefs that “we can’t build our way out of congestion,” that we need to save land (even in Alberta), and that cars will destroy the planet, even as technology looks set to provide a new golden age in transport technology.

Electric vehicles are now getting the equivalent of over 100 miles per gallon. Serious big carmakers are promising driverless vehicles by the end of the decade. These precisely controlled vehicles could make better use of road space while increasing safety. They’d also free up commuter time for activities other than staring at the car in front. They could park themselves somewhere less crowded when they’re not needed.

Innovative systems like Car2Go are transforming the way that people own cars, while services such as Carma Carpooling and Fastcab are changing the way that people access rides. Calgary is already making some use of intelligent transportation systems that manage traffic flow in real time by informing drivers of congestion and changing traffic light sequences, but more can be done.

The growing technological ability to charge road users for their exact time and place of use has been shown to significantly reduce congestion in Stockholm, Sweden, as users respond to price signals. Such charges are also fairer because the direct beneficiaries of roads pay more of the cost.

Importantly, road user charges can provide revenue for road upgrades where they are needed, perhaps built as public-private partnerships, rather than where the ideology of master planners would prefer them.

Far from needing to solve congestion by making it so bad that people stop trying to drive, there is an opportunity for the city to change its goals to align with voter preferences and make Calgary a centre for technology-driven mobility. Such an approach needn’t mean abandoning transit, but simply taking a modern approach that supports Calgarians’ mobility choices.

David Seymour is the Senior Fellow in Municipal Governance at the Manning Foundation for Democratic Education. His latest report, Decongestion: Getting Calgary Moving, is available at www.manningfoundation.org.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald Buy this article at www.HeraldContentMarketplace.com

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 4:45 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

There is just so much wrong about that article I don't know where to start. Facepalm.

EDIT- Just so, so, so much wrong with that report. The guy has no clue whatsoever how travel works in a city and the report is full of horrible contradictions and counter-productive suggestions.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:20 PM

So would the Manning Centre seriously consider tolls for the roads. I consider the high price of parking in downtown to be equivalent to a toll and acts as a deterrent for people to drive, which it should. Also, his assertion that doubling the density of the city only decreases commutes by 5% is ridiculous as, if the space/investment in, transit infrastructure would be able to accommodate all of those people a lot more efficiently than roads. The density won't just increase twofold evenly across the city, it will grow greater in areas that are better equipped for the increase, such as TOD. His whole argument is silly and I think that the city is doing the right thing to encourage people to not be in cars.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:26 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
So would the Manning Centre seriously consider tolls for the roads. I consider the high price of parking in downtown to be equivalent to a toll and acts as a deterrent for people to drive, which it should. Also, his assertion that doubling the density of the city only decreases commutes by 5% is ridiculous as, if the space/investment in, transit infrastructure would be able to accommodate all of those people a lot more efficiently than roads. The density won't just increase twofold evenly across the city, it will grow greater in areas that are better equipped for the increase, such as TOD. His whole argument is silly and I think that the city is doing the right thing to encourage people to not be in cars.
That idea is the same ridiculous idea as the idea that redevelopment has a greater impact on sewer infrastructure than greenfield development. Here is an example. If we put 1000 new units in Killarney (densification), it will create an additional burden on Bow Trail, 17th Ave etc. If we put those same 1000 units in Aspen Woods (sprawl), not only will it burden Bow Trail, 17th ave etc, it will also put additional burdens "upstream" on those roads. So, yeah, densification, even with no impact whatsoever on transit, reduces travel distances (the goal Seymour loathes so much), and therefore, reduces average travel times.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
The assumption grows from the old beliefs that “we can’t build our way out of congestion,”
I thought that the old belief was that you COULD build your way out of congestion...? Wasn't that the whole point of the freeway boom of the 1950s-1970s?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:38 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
I thought that the old belief was that you COULD build your way out of congestion...? Wasn't that the whole point of the freeway boom of the 1950s-1970s?
Exactly. Name me a city that has spent lots on freeway construction that has seen average travel times decrease. Not a one.

Name me a city that has done the opposite (limit freeway construction, focus on transit expansion) and saw average travel times decrease: Vancouver.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:59 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
There is just so much wrong about that article I don't know where to start. Facepalm.

EDIT- Just so, so, so much wrong with that report. The guy has no clue whatsoever how travel works in a city and the report is full of horrible contradictions and counter-productive suggestions.
My brain still hurts after reading it this morning. Not only are the ideas and suggestions complete hogwash, the document itself is so horribly laid out and formatted it is difficult to read.

edit. The document the editorial is based on is on the Manning website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure