HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:23 PM

Lone Peak Hospital : a new presence in Draper

Linda Petersen, The Draper Journal

By the end of July, Draper will have its first, full-service hospital. On July 31, Lone Peak Hospital will open its doors to the community. The general public is invited to tour the new facility on July 29 between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m.

http://www.draperjournal.com

The 100,000-square-foot facility will have 30 beds and will provide inpatient services, maternity, orthopedic and surgical care, in addition to basic and emergency services.

The construction of the hospital was the second phase of MountainStar Healthcare’s “phased growth plan” for the site. Hospital officials said the ongoing goal is to meet, but not exceed the area’s increasing healthcare needs over time.

The community has been served by a freestanding satellite emergency department at 11180 South State Street since December 2010.

Lone Peak Primary Care and General Surgery opened in June 2011.

“We set out to build a facility that supports our intention to deliver a high quality, personal experience for every patient who comes through our doors,” Lone Peak Hospital CEO Mark Meadows said. “That goal influenced every detail of our new hospital.”

Lone Peak Hospital Features:

•Four large surgical suites that surgeons will perform ear-nose-and-throat and general surgeries as well as gynecological and orthopedic procedures.
•Advanced surgical technologies, including cameras located in overhead lights that display surgeries on a large monitor for the anesthesiologists, nurses and technicians who are assisting the surgeon.
•A surgery unit with four large intermediate care rooms for patients recovering from medium-to-more-complex surgical procedures. Sixteen additional rooms are available for patients who have undergone minor surgery.
•An obstetrical unit shaped like a horseshoe, with a nurse’s station and medical supplies located in the middle.
•Ten large, home-like rooms where new mothers can labor, deliver babies, and recover from childbirth.
•State-of-the-art labor monitoring systems so that mothers in labor can walk around while nurses can keep a close watch on the birthing process.
•Two rooms with Jacuzzi tubs for women in labor.
Expanded diagnostic imaging services, with ultrasound, digital mammography and bone density scans to better serve women.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 31, 2013 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:46 PM

Corner Canyon High School

Corner Canyon High School is the major project of Canyons District’s ambitious school construction and renovation plan that is fueled by a public-approved $250 million bond. Corner Canyon High, a 311,000-square-foot school, is home to Draper, the largest Utah municipality without a public secondary school. The estimated enrollment at opening is 1,750.

Corner Canyon High School is being built the future in mind. All classrooms will have substantial wiring for student laptops and tablets, as well as Wi-Fi throughout the school.

http://www.kutv.com

At least four Town Hall meetings were held with the building’s architects to get community and student input on the designs. As a result, the school’s design aims to improve indoor environmental quality, including the amount of natural light in classrooms and commons areas. CCHS also will feature state-of-the-art science labs, an expanded cafeteria and kitchen, two-story academic classroom wings, a 120-seat lecture hall and a 1,200-seat auditorium. For athletic teams and physical education classes, the school also will house a 3,300-seat capacity competition gymnasium meeting NCAA standards, two auxiliary gymnasiums to accommodate ninth- through 12th- grade classes and prep teams, a track and artificial turf football field with seating for 3,500 home spectators and 1,200 visiting spectators, eight tennis courts, and a baseball and softball complex.

http://www.kutv.com

Last edited by delts145; Aug 1, 2013 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:51 PM

Draper Park Middle School

Julie Slama - The Draper Journal

The new middle school that will open this fall has been named to honor both an early city settler and a pioneer teacher.

The Canyons Board of Education voted June 18 to name the new school Draper Park Middle School, a name suggested by the Crescent View School Community Council. The new school will house current Crescent View Middle School students who live south of 12300 South.

The new middle school in Draper which will open this fall will be called Draper Park Middle School

“I’m very happy that the school board and the school community council had a role and agreed on one of the three possibilities of a name change,” Draper Mayor Darrell Smith said. “It was the preferred one, and the one I liked best.”

Earlier this spring, the school board asked the school community council to propose school names to match the school’s new site, 13133 South 1300 East, after agreeing to leave the current name with the school in Sandy. On May 30, they suggested three possibilities: Draper Park, Canyon Creek and Canyon Hollow.

“We decided on Draper Park, mostly because it was history in John Park making contributions to Draper, and William Draper himself, an early settler, so we were honoring both the historical sense and the community,” school board member Kim Horiuchi said. “The current school still has a lot of identity within the Crescent community of Sandy, so it made sense to rename the school.”

Smith said the school name reflects that education is a priority in Draper.

“This shows our value as education is the number one-important value in our community by honoring past educator John R. Park. My great-grandfather Absalon Smith was a member of the school board and took in John Park, who was a well-educated man, and provided him with room and board while he taught in Draper in the late 1800s,” Smith said.

Board member Robert Green made the motion to rename the school to honor Draper’s history.

“We value people who are trailblazers and value education in our communities,” he said.

The city’s Park School, which was built in 1912 and named after Park, now houses the Draper Historical Society and items for the Draper Arts Council and Draper Historical Theatre.

Hourachi said that although both schools have the Park name in them, there won’t be any confusion.

“Draper Park combines both historical names and will have its own identity,” she said.

Board member Tracy Scott Cowdell, who seconded the motion, said Crescent View, at11150 South 300 East, will be used for the next few years as temporary housing for students whose schools are being rebuilt, beginning with Mt. Jordan Middle School this fall.

He supported the current school retaining the name that ties it to its community.

“The fact of the matter is that, yes, we are moving the school,” he said. “But the name should remain in the community.”

Crescent View Middle School’s long-term use still is undetermined, Horiuchi said.

The school board decided last March to build the new middle school at the Draper location so it will be closer to the majority of the students who will live within its boundaries for the 2013-2014 school year. It’s the first public middle school in Draper.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Article about Eaglewood Village and an RDA area near Redwood Road and Center Street in NSL

http://davisclipper.com/view/full_st...es_left_column
There is a big in North Salt Lake to develop the area just east of where I-215 and Legacy come together in the former SL Gun Club property. North Salt Lake turned down a proposal for a large developer recently as they were looking to add 500 new apartments in that area to complement a regional grocery store (most likely a Walmart).

Stay tuned to developments in that area. There is a lot of land and the owners are looking to make something happen. While it isn't going to be a "Station Park" like property, It could be a pretty sizable development - if it can get past the city that doesn't want any more apartments(or very few) new apartments in that area.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 11:49 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Never mind, nobody cared.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Aug 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:38 AM

Looks like the LEGO Store in Fashion Place Mall will be opening September 20.

W00T!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 6:25 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Looks like the LEGO Store in Fashion Place Mall will be opening September 20.

W00T!
I am already debating on taking the day off of work.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 6:58 AM

The one and only Lego store I've ever experienced was in Manhattan (Rockefeller Center) and was a little disappointed.

I was a Lego NERD when I was a kid... In fact I still have a ton of them stored in my mom's house in Utah. Is there something I'm missing with the "intrigue" of a Lego store?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 1:57 PM
West bench livin'

I'm thinking we may need to make Opening Day a meet-up day...

*open* *open* *open*

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 3:32 PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...mpany.html.csp

Jedi, I saw this article a while back and of course thought of you. Do the Simpson's do anything for you?

Quote:
The Simpsons’ to get a Lego series

COPENHAGEN, Denmark • Want to build a new home for Homer or try out a new hairstyle for Marge?

Danish toy company Lego on Monday confirmed it will launch a special series themed on "The Simpsons" family globally in 2014.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 6:00 PM

I'm definitely going to be there. I joined the Utah LEGO User Group last December, they have monthly meetings and have displays at different events--train shows, the Utah County Fair this week, the Salt Lake Comic Con in September, etc. it's a lot of fun. Adults only. Because kids are horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiny View Post
The one and only Lego store I've ever experienced was in Manhattan (Rockefeller Center) and was a little disappointed.

I was a Lego NERD when I was a kid... In fact I still have a ton of them stored in my mom's house in Utah. Is there something I'm missing with the "intrigue" of a Lego store?
Justin, the Rockefeller Center store is the smallest one I've been in, which might be part of the problem. I think if you're an adult who's a die-hard fan of LEGO, or if you have kids that are big time into LEGO, it might be more appealing. The biggest benefits as far as LEGO geeks are concerned:

Exclusive LEGO sets, some only otherwise available online or some (like the Big Apple set I got in Rockefeller Center) are unique to one particular store.

Prices are set at MSRP, with frequent sales that go below that. Toys R Us is generally 20% above MSRP, so unless you're in some kind of bind, don't.

If you've got kids, The LEGO Store has a free small build they do once a month--for June it was a Superman statue, for July a BBQ Grill, for August a Flamingo....they're free for kids 12 and under or something.

They also sponsor contests and other events...it's pretty awesome. If you're into that kind of thing.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 6:12 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Maybe they'll have a Salt Lake Temple exclusive at the Fashion Place store.

It's too bad that it isn't opening at the Gateway instead of Fashion Place, particularly with the Planetarium and the Children's Museum already being at Gateway.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 6:52 PM

Are the footprints for lego stores to big for the Gateway zoning?

This might be a reason why they didn't chose the Gateway. CCC doesn't have any large areas left for a store that wouldn't fit at the Gateway. This might have limited their choices if their size requirements are larger than can be provided at the Gateway or CCC.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post

This might be a reason why they didn't chose the Gateway. CCC doesn't have any large areas left for a store that wouldn't fit at the Gateway. This might have limited their choices if their size requirements are larger than can be provided at the Gateway or CCC.
The sizes of LEGO Stores are variable--they could have worked something out. I'm wondering if it was a leasing price issue, but I can't imagine that Gateway is any more than Fashion Place...I do wish this had ended up downtown.

But I'll take what I can get.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Maybe they'll have a Salt Lake Temple exclusive at the Fashion Place store.
One of LEGO's general policies is not to endorse any particular religion or political group--even in their Architecture line, they don't have things like Sagrada Familia or Notre Dame, which I really wish they'd add. So I'm guessing a Salt Lake Temple is a non-starter.

Perhaps a giant, articulated brine shrimp???

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 8:09 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post

I doubt that most Lego stores are even close to the size of the square footage restrictions that are applicable to the Gateway. Those were very large square footage to basically eliminate large "department stores" such as Nordstrom from moving there.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 7:45 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I was driving up Main Street in South Salt Lake today and I noticed the 2550 Apartments. They were mentioned on here last year but I had forgotten about them. They are finished nicely with a large percentage being brick, and they add some nice density to South Salt Lake.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:57 PM

Do they look like this?

The pics on this website are for 2550 South Main, but when you leave your cursor on any of the images, it displays that they are 'Hills at Sandy Station in Sandy'.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:32 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

For the most part, except for the garages on the first floor, I didn't notice that part.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:02 AM

3900 south-ish

Looks kinda nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West