HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:47 PM

Posting this here as well, because it's pretty good news!

Cash App, a Block Inc. business, leases space at East Market for new Philadelphia office

Quote:
A business operated by Block Inc., a financial services company that owns Square among other brands, has signed a deal to occupy 35,000 square feet of office space at East Market in Philadelphia.

Cash App has leased the space at 1100 Ludlow St., a 225,000-square-foot office building. A spokeswoman from Block confirmed Cash App will move into the space but declined to provide additional details such as how many employees it will have working from the new Philadelphia office.

The deal brings the office building to 100% occupancy. Tenants include WeWork and architectural firm Bohlin Cywinski Jackson. SSH Real Estate oversees leasing of 1100 Ludlow.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...st-market.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 6:44 PM

Can anyone take a guess as to where this conceptual tower may be located? I was taking a look on Wulff Architecture's website trying to find a rendering of the proposed 11 story tower at 44th and Market (a demo permit was issued for 16 S. 44th Street, one of the properties located on the future tower site) when I spotted this image.

I'm not 100% sure of where this is, but if I were to take a guess, maybe the SW corner of Broad and Master? Not only do I see the former North Philadelphia Medical Center in the background, but I swear I can make out field lights just behind the building. This building is definitely to the north of City Hall, and I could only see something like this standing on North Broad. No matter where it is located, I counted 25 floors!

Temple University '18 ']['

Last edited by PhilliesPhan; Mar 24, 2022 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Can anyone take a guess as to where this conceptual tower may be located? I was taking a look on Wulff Architecture's website trying to find a rendering of the proposed 11 story tower at 44th and Market (a demo permit was issued for 44 S. 16th Street, one of the properties located on the future tower site) when I spotted this image.

I'm not 100% sure of where this is, but if I were to take a guess, maybe the SW corner of Broad and Master? Not only do I see the former North Philadelphia Medical Center in the background, but I swear I can make out field lights just behind the building. This building is definitely to the north of City Hall, and I could only see something like this standing on North Broad. No matter where it is located, I counted 25 floors!

Much further East, if the background is at all accurate. Doing some quick looking, based on the angle and building next door, my guess is around here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9576.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 7:08 PM

That looks like the Customs House and Society Hill Towers in the back.

I was thinking that maybe the building was in the zone between Old City and Northern Liberties.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
Much further East, if the background is at all accurate. Doing some quick looking, based on the angle and building next door, my guess is around here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9576.../data=!3m1!1e3
Looking at it again, I think you may be exactly right. I initially thought the brick building in the background was the Girard Medical Center, but we may actually be looking at the US Customs House at the corner of 2nd and Chestnut. That would make perfect sense given where the Society Hill Towers are in the rendering. I also thought that the rendering was facing south (with its northern and western faces showing) and that most of the background was to the east, but we may be looking at its northern and eastern faces, with most of the background being to the south. This also makes sense, as I now realize that we're viewing the skyline from the east.

If this is a legitimate proposal, then bring it on! The area between Northern Liberties and Old City needs to be built up further!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 7:15 PM

Probably one of the old conceptual designs from the end of the last boom in 2006-2007 when a bunch of towers were planned along the Delaware River.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 9:09 PM

Whoops - wrong thread.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 4:21 PM

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 9:50 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Damn...quite impressive on the University City side. Throw a few supertall in the mix for UC down the road, and we will have Philly's version of Twin Cities.

Also, love the curvature from this shot too. Great find!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Wow; if Schuylkill Yards and the Science Center is ever built out image what this will look like one day.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Can anyone take a guess as to where this conceptual tower may be located? I was taking a look on Wulff Architecture's website trying to find a rendering of the proposed 11 story tower at 44th and Market (a demo permit was issued for 16 S. 44th Street, one of the properties located on the future tower site) when I spotted this image.

Judging by the angle of Society Hill Towers and the Customs House this is near Penn Treaty Park.

Years ago there was a proposed tower north of Penn Treaty Park on Delaware Avenue; it was north of the Bridgman's View Condo; the World Trade Complex; the Trump Tower and Waterfront Square but very little was said about it. Maybe was that concept?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 6:40 PM

I started at SEPTA on Monday. 1234 might have some of the best views of Philly east of Broad.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I started at SEPTA on Monday. 1234 might have some of the best views of Philly east of Broad.
Congrats!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Congrats dude!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 2:52 PM
Me?!?

Came across these and really enjoyed them

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
are you in engineering?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
are you in engineering?
I am! I’m in EMC, specifically the track department (for now).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 4:02 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Finally Mcgrath will get things going with the Navy Yard BSL Extension, The Rosevelt Line, and pushing for other reforms along the line.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Hey Mcgrath618, or anyone who is knowledgeable in railroads and electricity. Is there any websites that has information on the Northeast Corridor, how the catenary systems work ect. I have been trying to learn about the history of electrification on the northeast corridor. I feel like it is a big part of how the philadelphia area looks. For example, why there are so many wires above the rails ect. What they do.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Hey Mcgrath618, or anyone who is knowledgeable in railroads and electricity. Is there any websites that has information on the Northeast Corridor, how the catenary systems work ect. I have been trying to learn about the history of electrification on the northeast corridor. I feel like it is a big part of how the philadelphia area looks. For example, why there are so many wires above the rails ect. What they do.
I don’t know of any website off of the top of my head, but I’m probably pretty qualified to tell you most of what you need (though I’m first and foremost a track guy—NOT an electrician). Hopefully this can get your research started:

The structure you see above is called a “K Frame” or “Bowtie Pole.” They appeared in about the late twenties all along the Pennsylvania Railroad. They are as iconic as anything else along the railroad. They are still manufactured new, and SEPTA is slowly replacing most of the former Reading Lines’ infrastructure with Pennsy-based infrastructure (see: Glenside Station).

In the catenary itself, you tend to have two wires: the messenger wire, and the contact wire. What the contact wire does is probably fairly obvious, but the messenger wire essentially allows the contact wire to hang from the poles without obstruction. In a lot of cases on curved track, this will be at an angle opposite the superelevation of the curve as to smoothly “curve” the wire around the bend.

Most of the other wires you see on the poles are high voltage lines that are owned by either Amtrak or PECO. PECO leases a lot of space from SEPTA and Amtrak for their overhead wires. These run to various substations along the line, and while they might provide power for the line, it’s usually also just for public utility (specifically if it’s PECO).

Most of the electrification currently standing on the NEC was done in the 30s, whereas I believe some of the Keystone Corridor is still running on catenary structures put up in the 1910s. Pretty much everything East of Paoli is the old type.

Then the Reading had their own thing going on…

Wikipedia will probably be able to get you started. Read the PRR’s general page, and then the articles for the NEC and Keystone Corridor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations