HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:25 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I have no idea if it is reaching end of life (seems like it should significantly outlast Port Mann, which was built at similar time, but had severe settling issues), but the bridge is expandable to 4+4 plus shoulder/bike lane. The Cassiar tunnel was designed to accommodate the future bridge widening.
I have never heard this before. Do you have a source?

Cassiar was already expanded from four to six lanes, I was under the impression that was the max. Sure looks like it.

And it still shrinks down to four lanes immediately to the north so it was pointless.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

Cassiar was already expanded from four to six lanes, I was under the impression that was the max. Sure looks like it.

And it still shrinks down to four lanes immediately to the north so it was pointless.
it was designed to be 3+3. that is the expanded capacity. originally opening at 2+2, being expandable to 3+3.

the reason for it going to 2 on the North is because of McGill needing it own lane since it sees a ton of traffic. otherwise, all 3 could have gone to the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge.

ideally that bridge needs to be;

5 lanes North. 3 #1, 1 Hastings, 1 McGill from Vancouver
4 lanes South. 3 #1, 1 Main St from the North Shore.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:09 AM
See ya down under, mates

It's not just two northbound, it's two southbound right before the tunnel too. Just stupid.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
The Cassiar tunnel was designed to accommodate the future bridge widening.
The tunnel was designed to be expanded from it's original 2+2 configuration to the 3+3 it currently carries - but I've been driving that way since it was the "Hastings and Cassiar intersection" and I've never heard anything about that being linked to a bridge expansion.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:56 AM

So how about an augmented bridge that's double-decked?

That would hopefully avoid all the court-clogging BS that would drag any other proposal out for decades.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
It was discussed here before... see:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5846122&postcount=3833

Quote:
Yes, and a 6-lane tunnel is the capacity that is needed to feed an 8-lane bridge.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:19 PM

could they tunnel to burnaby somewhere from deep cove end somewhere? it will piss people off but whatever happens will.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:54 AM
waves

Quote:
Yes, and a 6-lane tunnel is the capacity that is needed to feed an 8-lane bridge.
The above quote should be rephrased to "a tunnel with 6-thru-lanes on to an 8-lane bridge is the capacity needed for said tunnel". If McGill is going to continue to eat up two lanes of the tunnel for entrances/exits than really the tunnel does need 8-lanes.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:06 AM
waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
could they tunnel to burnaby somewhere from deep cove end somewhere? it will piss people off but whatever happens will.
Doesn't really make sense. The increase in traffic is not coming from that area. That's beside the impracticality of it. North Shore doesn't need a third bridge for vehicles imo. Just needs the Second Narrows to have 8 lanes, Mt Seymour Interchange to be removed and two laning between Lonsdale and the bridge to be three laned. Anytype of tunnel, Skytrain or road would likely be from londsale under the inlet and to commercial, main or clark.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:43 PM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:55 PM
See ya down under, mates

Weird, I think Washington drivers are fantastic and am ashamed by Vancouverites driving like Vancouverites there.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:19 PM
Joshua B.

I went down to Mount Vernon last week...and witnessed a wrong way driver near the walmart down there and an idiot who could not stay in their lanes on I5. Both had BC plates.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
I went down to Mount Vernon last week...and witnessed a wrong way driver near the walmart down there and an idiot who could not stay in their lanes on I5. Both had BC plates.
I encountered a wrong-way driver in a pick-up truck on the Coquihalla last Friday, at a curve coming down the big hill into Merritt, at night, in snow. I did a very quick lane change over into the shoulder to avoid the guy. Thanked my Subaru and winter tires for keeping that from being hairier than it already was.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:50 AM
See ya down under, mates

I encounter wrong way drivers every month downtown.

Quote:
Missed this, your source is your own post with a reply by Stingray2004 of all people, the guy who was consistently wrong about everything until he had a meltdown post-provincial election and got banned?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 8:00 AM

Just a random thought that popped into my head. Visitors to Metro Vancouver who travel using a car via the land borders, ferry terminal or the airport are greeted with a traffic light(s) pretty much as soon as they leave those points. Again just a thought.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 9:34 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Just a random thought that popped into my head. Visitors to Metro Vancouver who travel using a car via the land borders, ferry terminal or the airport are greeted with a traffic light(s) pretty much as soon as they leave those points. Again just a thought.
Where is the light going north leaving peace arch crossing?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 1:08 PM
See ya down under, mates

Yeah it's fine going north from the peace arch until you hit CoV borders. Then you wonder what happened and why you're driving on residential streets.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:50 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Do people actually notice this? Especially those that wouldn't be the types to post on road infrastructure forum threads? In my experience people take other cities' road networks for granted, whatever they are.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
There's no traffic light on the I5 to 99 until Oak St. and West 70th.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Curious what was your point regarding this statement?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure