HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 11:03 PM

General Dynamics unit offering 1,600 call center jobs in Sandy

The Salt Lake Tribune

A unit of defense contractor General Dynamics wants to hire 1,600 people to staff a new call center in Sandy.

The company is reticent to talk about what workers for its Information Technology group would do at the center on South Sandy Parkway or say how much the jobs would pay and whether they are temporary or long-term positions.

"The call center is in support of a contract we recently won with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services," Jennifer Harvey, a General Dynamics IT spokeswoman, said in an email Friday...

read more: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...enter.html.csp

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:58 AM

Strong demand for office space in suburbs

Ughh! More news about suburban office expansion in south Salt Lake County and northern Utah County. I hate this continual demand for suburban sprawl in Utah.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...port-says.html

Quote:
As a result, the marketwide vacancy rate decreased to 13.7 percent, CBRE said. Currently, there is more than 500,000 square feet of office space under construction, with the greatest concentration in the Sandy and Draper areas. In addition, construction is increasing in northern Utah County as well.
There is some good news, though...
Quote:
“Tenants in the office segment are becoming more sensitive to the type of space they occupy,” said Kreg Peterson, CBRE vice president. “Generation Y is gaining prominence in the current market, and their needs and desires differ from those of the mature work force. More frequently, we get requests for buildings with access to public transportation and creative buildouts that will attract this younger demographic.”

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 10:52 AM

I hear ya Orlando, the strong growth is very exciting, but as long as there's all of that cheap agricultural land still sanwiched in between towns like P.G, A.F, Lehi etc., there's going to be these types of developments. I so wish that they would take some initiative and make it attractive to build commercial infill within the historic downtown areas.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 1:59 PM

New Hyatt in Holliday

I was able to get a cell phone picture of the new Hyatt Place in Holliday. The hotel looks great! [IMG] New hotel by tadsol18, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:40 PM
West bench livin'

So... Taylorsville City is hyping a "New-to-Utah" restaurant on their Facebook page and making everyone guess what it is going to be. Here are the clues to date:

1. This restaurant started in 1987, had seven locations in 2007, and today has 100 locations throughout the country.

2. In this restaurant, all food is prepared fresh - no freezer.

3. This restaurant is not fast-food and there is no waitress to take your order.

First person to guess what it is and post it on Taylorsville's page gets a free dinner or something...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
So... Taylorsville City is hyping a "New-to-Utah" restaurant on their Facebook page and making everyone guess what it is going to be. Here are the clues to date:

1. This restaurant started in 1987, had seven locations in 2007, and today has 100 locations throughout the country.

2. In this restaurant, all food is prepared fresh - no freezer.

3. This restaurant is not fast-food and there is no waitress to take your order.

First person to guess what it is and post it on Taylorsville's page gets a free dinner or something...

I have been following the Salt Lake forum's since I moved from Taylorsville to San Antonio a few years ago, and finally might have some useful information.
It sounds to me that this could be a Freebird's World Burrito. http://freebirds.com/
They have recenlty announced that 10 locations would be opening in Utah. http://fb101.com/?p=3873

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadsol18 View Post
I was able to get a cell phone picture of the new Hyatt Place in Holliday. The hotel looks great! [IMG] New hotel by tadsol18, on Flickr[/IMG]
The sandstone cladding is a great improvement over the downtown and airport Places.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 10:17 PM

I was just thinking that would have been a great hotel infill for the Gateway Area. I didn't realize that was also sandstone. Much nicer than I thought it was going to be. I like the way it wraps around the corner.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 2:41 AM
The Drifter

The company I work for has its offices in the building on the left of that picture. The new Hyatt is now the go to hotel for employees that come in from out of town. My understanding is it is a very nice hotel and much better then the Marriott next to it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 12:02 PM

Ski resorts, business park draw new Hyatt hotel in Holladay

By Tom Wharton | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...-salt.html.csp

Holladay • When it comes to knowing about the clientele for the new 124-room Hyatt Place Hotel that opened Tuesday
at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, area general manager Jeff Olpin enjoys a home-court advantage.

He grew up in the area and knows a bit about the nearby ski resorts in Big and Little Cottonwood canyons.

"Skiing is big in this area," he said. "The business complex is growing by leaps and bounds and we have some
high-quality establishments right in our backyard. There is the Market Street Grill and other great restaurants. We needed
a new hotel in the area. The Residence Inn [located nearby] always sold out."

Demand has been steady in the hotel’s opening days this week and Olpin said his facility is sold out next week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadsol18 View Post
I was able to get a cell phone picture of the new Hyatt Place in Holliday. The hotel looks great!
Pic By Tadsol18 @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/2535452...n/photostream/

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 4:21 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Damn Hyatt, now I can't see the mountains.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 1:15 AM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 2:08 PM
The Drifter

Can someone please help remind me what the development north of Salt Lake City and south of bountiful is? My job officially hired me on and my wife will be finishing up with school in a couple months and going back to work so we are looking for a new place to live. Thinking that development could be an option.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 3:43 PM

I think its called Eaglewood in North Salt Lake.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 12:18 PM

That stone on the Hyatt is very nice. Thanks for the great pics John. Good to see they went the extra mile on the exterior, instead of the old dreaded, over abundance of stucco.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 6:25 PM

If you are talking about the new apartments off of HIghway 89 and I-15, it is the Eaglewood Village development.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 11:30 AM

Developer envisions a Grande project just off Main Street

Historic railroad building would be restored as part of the work

Jay Hamburger - The Park Record

Paperwork has been submitted at City Hall for a project just off Main Street that will encompass a new building and a restored historic one, an important step that follows a year after talk of a redevelopment at the site.

Rory Murphy, the lead developer and a partner in the ownership, wants to build the project at 820 Park Ave., the site of a parking lot and the old building. The location is sometimes referred to as the Rio Grande building, a nod to the location of the building where luggage bags were stored for the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad when it operated at the site. The old building dates to 1897. The overall development site covers approximately one-third of an acre.

Murphy said he wants to put up a new building, three stories tall, with 10 residential units ranging from approximately 700 square feet to upward of 2,500 square feet. The street-level floor of the building would offer commercial space while the residential units would be put in the upper two floors. An underground garage would be built as well.

The rundown Rio Grande building would be restored and turned into a commercial property, Murphy said. He said, perhaps, a café could be opened in the Rio Grande building.

Paperwork filed with the Planning Department indicates the developers could reposition the Rio Grande building toward the northwest of the parcel, allowing them to reconstruct what was a passenger station section of the building and highlight the building as the "primary feature of the property."

The developer is seeking what is known as a conditional-use permit as well as an determination that the project meets City Hall's strict Old Town design guidelines. The Planning Commission must grant a conditional-use permit while staffers are able to make the determination about the design guidelines. The Planning Commission is tentatively scheduled to begin its discussions at a meeting on Aug. 14.

"The market is clearly coming back far more strongly than it has in recent years. So, we are very hopeful, marketwise, that the timing was right for this building," Murphy said.

He said he hopes for a groundbreaking in the spring of 2014.

Murphy said he wants to reach an agreement with the Sweeney family, which has property nearby, allowing the Rio Grande development access to the Town Lift Plaza via a walkway that would be built. Doing so would be expected to increase the value of the Rio Grande units by offering an easier route to Park City Mountain Resort's Town Lift.

The Rio Grande development has been under consideration for more than a year, and Murphy last July outlined much of what was eventually included in the June application to City Hall.

Murphy is a veteran Park City developer who led the efforts to build Silver Star on the edge of Thaynes Canyon and was a key figure at United Park City Mines as that firm secured the approvals for what became Empire Pass. The Silver Star project involved restoring three historic mining-era buildings and four smaller relics from Park City's mining days alongside the new condominiums.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:27 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Not a great picture, but it's nice to see progress on the residential portion of Fairbourne Station.

If I have my bearing correct, the elevator shaft that you can see in this picture is the residential building in the middle of the picture and the wood framing is the residential across the street to the west.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 4:13 PM

Canadian clothing line comes to Utah ~ One Of Its First Retail Locations In America

http://media.lolewomen.com

THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

Canadian clothing line comes to Utah
THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE
First Published Jul 26 2013 05:32 pm • Last Updated Jul 26 2013 08:49 pm
Canadian clothing line, C, has opened one of its first U.S. retail locations in South Jordan.

The store, located at 681 W. South Jordan Parkway, sells sporting apparel under the Lolë brand, in partnership with Impact Fitness, a Utah clothing manufacturer that also sells the Lolë line.

"When the opportunity to partner with Lolë was presented to me last year, it made sense to transition Impact Fitness to a bigger and better space under the Lolë brand name," said Impact Fitness owner Megan Adams.

Lolë, which stands for Live Out Loud Everyday, has six corporate stores in Canada and two outlets in Europe.

Lolë retail outlet in South Jordan

Where: 681 W. South Jordan Parkway

What: Clothing, active sportswear

Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday; closed Sundays.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:29 PM

Article about Eaglewood Village and an RDA area near Redwood Road and Center Street in NSL

http://davisclipper.com/view/full_st...es_left_column

Quote:
The North Salt Lake City Council is still seeking approvals for their Redwood Road Community Development Agreement, which would give the city funding to add lighting, vegetation and sidewalks. City officials hope that the improvements will be more successful in attracting retailers than the Eaglewood Village development, which so far only has apartment buildings.

Read more: The Davis Clipper - NSL hopes for retail luck on west side
He added that the city hasn’t lost money on Eaglewood Village, located along Highway 89 near the city hall building. Though the development has yet to attract any of the office or retail it promised during its 2007 groundbreaking, Leetham said that the city only invested in road and drainage improvements.

On the west side, however, city officials are hoping for more. Leetham said officials hope for a mix of retail options to come into the area, and would even consider a big box store such as Walmart or Target.

“We’d love to see all different types,” he said. “The residents on the west side are under-served.”

Read more: The Davis Clipper - NSL hopes for retail luck on west side

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West