HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
Tring5, the Korean cafe/desserts place, making it official that they are moving into the Courtyard Building: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6cWxW5A...dpbG9qbXY1aHh2
The Instagram post says the Osborne location will be their second location, meaning their location on Portage Ave is staying.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tr...jjqp?entry=ttu

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 3:31 PM

And Cleocatra Cat Café is opening up a second location in the village too: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...ng-right-along

They've been coy about the exact spot, but judging by this pic on their IG (https://www.instagram.com/p/C6cOPpcy...RqaXgwbTV3eGZk), looks like the former Unique Bunny.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
Tring5, the Korean cafe/desserts place, making it official that they are moving into the Courtyard Building: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6cWxW5A...dpbG9qbXY1aHh2
The new-ish takeout sushi place there is really good. Hopefully these new tenants can push the deadbeat building owner to take better care of their property.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 6:52 PM

prob gonna reno it into a take out only location if/when it re-opens

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/osborne-...fied-1.6870965

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 8:32 PM

Hope it doesn’t reopen and something else moves in

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Hope it doesn’t reopen and something else moves in
that's a weird take, one less business is one less business. big bad corporate coffee shop is wayyyyyy better than an empty storefront.

my friend tells me employees felt unsafe there, constant issues in store and area around store. is this true? can anyone confirm?

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
that's a weird take, one less business is one less business. big bad corporate coffee shop is wayyyyyy better than an empty storefront.

my friend tells me employees felt unsafe there, constant issues in store and area around store. is this true? can anyone confirm?
I go to this Starbucks about once every other week in the evenings. I would go somewhere local but Little Sister closes at 5:00 pm and O-Station Cafe closes at 3:00 pm. I would say I see homeless people inside the Starbucks pretty often. Usually they aren't causing trouble, but sometimes you get someone who is aggressive because they are on drugs or have a severe mental illness. It's not surprising to hear that the employees feel unsafe.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 9:35 PM

It’s not a weird take. A weird take would be “hope it sinks into the ground and a dark fiery chasm opens up and swallows up everything within 100 feet and only screaming and explosions can be heard from the hole. More at 11.”

Anyway just because it’s “a business” doesn’t mean it’s a quality business. Empty storefront means odds that it will eventually change to something more interesting. Not as interesting as the screaming explosion chasm but with the chasm, as with Starbucks being there forever, there’s no chance for something else.

I have heard though that sketchy skids have been making everyday life a lot more unpleasant for businesses and people alike all over the Village in the last few years.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 11:58 PM

^And everywhere else.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 12:39 AM

Amen to that.

They updated the article to indicate violent skids causing mayhem in recent weeks and months is a likely reason for the closure.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 12:42 AM

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 1:19 AM

Sorry, what is meant by 'skid'?

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 1:43 AM

People who are likely at personal rock bottom that incite chaos/violence/crime on others/society

Last edited by WinCitySparky; May 3, 2024 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 1:59 AM

Ah right, like skid row.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:37 PM

unfortunately, its been confirmed, closed due to safety. numerous stabbings and other crimes. such a shitty situation for the state of our city / country.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:51 PM

Very unfortunate considering it's a well-used coffee shop and no incidents have actually taken place there.

Feels like a cynical move coming from Starbucks corporate. More of an image thing than anything else. Like my goodness there are cafes in far sketchier areas of Winnipeg and they don't just shutter...

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 4:06 PM
the first stamp is free

The real reason Starbucks is being forced to close stores is that people are fed up with the lame terminology they use for size of coffee cups.

Prove me wrong.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
It’s not a weird take. A weird take would be “hope it sinks into the ground and a dark fiery chasm opens up and swallows up everything within 100 feet and only screaming and explosions can be heard from the hole. More at 11.”

Anyway just because it’s “a business” doesn’t mean it’s a quality business. Empty storefront means odds that it will eventually change to something more interesting. Not as interesting as the screaming explosion chasm but with the chasm, as with Starbucks being there forever, there’s no chance for something else.

I have heard though that sketchy skids have been making everyday life a lot more unpleasant for businesses and people alike all over the Village in the last few years.
If every storefront and commercial property in Osborne was leased, OV was a very lively place every day of the week, and it was a huge battle for new businesses to get a spot to set up shop, then I would entertain the merit of removing Starbucks and other major chain restaurants (BK, A&W) from there.

But right now I'm not celebrating the loss of another business in OV when there are already plenty of leasing opportunities, with probably a handful of businesses barely scraping by and are one rent hike/security incident away from closing shop

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 4:55 PM

Does Osborne Village have a police station? The intersection of Osborne & River just seems like a prime spot for a small output with a 24/7 presence.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The real reason Starbucks is being forced to close stores is that people are fed up with the lame terminology they use for size of coffee cups.

Prove me wrong.
Hahahahah

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan