HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 2:59 PM

A building permit application has been submitted for the 2602 Welton Street mixed use project:

9 stories - 6,300 square feet of retail, 31,200 square feet of office and 103 residential units.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 4:36 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Vukota is moving forward on the 2980 Huron project. A concept review was submitted to the City on August 23rd:
Right, as a new project. The previous condo project by the other developer is dead. I'm glad the site is back in play.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfillJunkie View Post
Yes! This must've happened because of my impending move back to Denver from nasty Seattle. Thank you development gods!
Hah! I was ready to claim this one as a reward for my impending move back home from Los Angeles. I guess I'll get the next one

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
The 17th & Blake Hotel and the 29th & Huron Condos are dead.

The rest are active projects with a decent chance of moving forward yet this cycle.
I think Denver developers are taking a wait-and-see approach with Amendment 74. If that passes that could shut down a lot of projects that aren't already entitled.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
The 17th & Blake Hotel and the 29th & Huron Condos are dead.

The rest are active projects with a decent chance of moving forward yet this cycle.
The 17th and Blake location has always struck me as one of the worst parking lot holes Downtown in what I would have thought was an absolute 5 star location.

I expected it to be filled 20 years ago when the LoDo boom started, and yet there it is. Still empty and bare. Very surprising to me.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/17...4d-104.9979637

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 6:26 PM
Robotic Construction

By Daniel McCoy
Reporter, Wichita Business Journal
Oct 26, 2018, 1:15pm MDT
Denver and Aurora are among the 136 applicants officially vying to be the new home of major research offices of the U.S. Department of Agriculture that could bring with as many as 700 high-paying new jobs.

The USDA this week announced the locations and applicants it received after putting out the call in August that it was looking for a new home for its Washington D.C.-based Economic Research Service (ERS) and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA).
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...-research.html

This would be perfect for the Stock Show Grounds masterplan. And honestly, it would be the most ideal location for the USDA. There is nothing else like this site going on in America right now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjo13 View Post
Hah! I was ready to claim this one as a reward for my impending move back home from Los Angeles. I guess I'll get the next one
Maybe Tabor 2?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:15 AM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:50 PM

On my commute, I noticed that construction appears to have started on the lighthouse lofts in lohi and the x communities apartments in union station north. It’s good to see another condo building going up.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:32 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
I was also by 18th and Market today. My thoughts were “I don’t take bus photos for Cirrus, so I can’t take lot photos for Ryan.” Then I left.
Permabanned.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:46 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Permabanned.

Seconded. Too bad really. This all happens in a secret mod court where you have no chance to appeal.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:03 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
New to Denver here. Its so odd to me that voters can even decide this kind of stuff here. I've worked in construction on the owners side for 10 years now and I can tell you green roofs are extremely expensive not only to build, but to maintain. I love them to be quite frank, but a 25k building... lets say like a small grocery store with tight margins? They'd end up staying away from Denver. This was an excellent compromise on the city's part. TPO roofs are now becoming typical anyway and last for 20+ years with little to no maintenance AND are eco friendly to boot.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:22 PM

Zocalo to Build 13 Story, 381 Unit Apartment Building in RiNo:

From BusinessDen:
https://businessden.com/2018/10/31/d...ories-planned/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:

From BusinessDen:

Is it just me or is that building hideous?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:

From BusinessDen:

I like the density and anywhere else, would like the look. I wish the developers/architect would find a way to better integrate, design-wise, into the nitty-gritty industrial-ness of the area. This design ignores the context of its neighborhood. You put up 4 or 5 of structures like this and before you know it, it's looking like Cherry Creek or, god forbid, an Arapaho County suburban high rise.

Would love to see stuff like this:

Or even this:

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
New to Denver here. Its so odd to me that voters can even decide this kind of stuff here. I've worked in construction on the owners side for 10 years now and I can tell you green roofs are extremely expensive not only to build, but to maintain. I love them to be quite frank, but a 25k building... lets say like a small grocery store with tight margins? They'd end up staying away from Denver. This was an excellent compromise on the city's part. TPO roofs are now becoming typical anyway and last for 20+ years with little to no maintenance AND are eco friendly to boot.
Welcome to the Wild West! Voter initiatives can lead to crazy, ill-conceived results.

Wait and see what happens if Amendment 74 passes, and property owners unleash a flury of suits against governments for virtually every regulation they adopt claiming the regulation "hurt" their property's value. And those suits will be legitimate - virtually any government regulation or decision regarding land use impacts property values, positively or negatively. If Amendment 74 passes, lawyers will have a field day.

I could easily make an argument that zoning is unconstitutional under this amendment - or at least any zoning that keeps me from doing whatever makes me the most money with my property.

If I can get the highest value by putting up a dog food factory next to your cute little suburban development, then get ready to write me a check if you want to adopt regulations saying I can't do that. Conversely, if I've invested big money in buying an empty lot across from the expected location of a fabulous new transit hub, and government unexpectedly decides to go with Site B, I'm suing. Pay up, suckers!!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 4:47 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
I like the density and anywhere else, would like the look. I wish the developers/architect would find a way to better integrate, design-wise, into the nitty-gritty industrial-ness of the area. This design ignores the context of its neighborhood. You put up 4 or 5 of structures like this and before you know it, it's looking like Cherry Creek or, god forbid, an Arapaho County suburban high rise.
Oh, I think there's enough Zeppelin quasi-industrial yuppie crap going in to ensure RiNo keeps some of the nitty-gritty industrial look while filling with arrogant white assholes.

I like Zocalo's projects because they have good street presence and deliver on a portion of the affordable element that RiNo is badly lacking. What I see in your images screams higher-priced for-sale units. Which isn't bad at all, but the area needs the mix that some of the TBL developers are trying to deliver.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 5:39 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Seconded. Too bad really. This all happens in a secret mod court where you have no chance to appeal.
A kangaroo court, to be clear. There is really no rational explanation for me still being here.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 5:43 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Welcome to the Wild West! Voter initiatives can lead to crazy, ill-conceived results.

Wait and see what happens if Amendment 74 passes, and property owners unleash a flury of suits against governments for virtually every regulation they adopt claiming the regulation "hurt" their property's value. And those suits will be legitimate - virtually any government regulation or decision regarding land use impacts property values, positively or negatively. If Amendment 74 passes, lawyers will have a field day.

I could easily make an argument that zoning is unconstitutional under this amendment - or at least any zoning that keeps me from doing whatever makes me the most money with my property.

If I can get the highest value by putting up a dog food factory next to your cute little suburban development, then get ready to write me a check if you want to adopt regulations saying I can't do that. Conversely, if I've invested big money in buying an empty lot across from the expected location of a fabulous new transit hub, and government unexpectedly decides to go with Site B, I'm suing. Pay up, suckers!!
If 74 passes I am absolutely going to run a strip club for DU students out of my living room. It will be fun, it will be raucous, and it will guarantee me a fat check (one way or the other). At least until I can scrape my house and put in an application to replace it with a 20-unit apartment building with no parking. Regardless, I am suing over something.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
This was an excellent compromise on the city's part. TPO roofs are now becoming typical anyway and last for 20+ years with little to no maintenance AND are eco friendly to boot.
Yup, glad the city had the authority to find sanity.

This is but one example of liberal fantasies idealizing the pros and disregarding the cons. Presumably, they don't believe unintended consequences would really happen or don't care.

Sadly such nonsense isn't limited to the left; it also runs rampant on the right. The world we live in.

Quote:
I like the density and anywhere else, would like the look. I wish the developers/architect would find a way to better integrate, design-wise, into the nitty-gritty industrial-ness of the area.
Get used to this; there's reasons why Denver created the zoning overlay. Also there's this:

Quote:
Zucker said “increasingly pillow density” is a key way to make projects viable given recent rises in construction costs. He said Zocalo also is saving by being its own general contractor on the project.
Principal Real Estate Investors, I believe, has been a solid equity partner on most of Zocalo's projects. I've been a fan of Zocalo built projects, not necessarily for their architectural beauty but their overall quality is very good. Denver is lucky to have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Oh, I think there's enough Zeppelin quasi-industrial yuppie crap going in to ensure RiNo keeps some of the nitty-gritty industrial look while filling with arrogant white assholes.
Well said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West